Should Cel offer perks for 55+

gordylad

Perhaps a bit controversial but I feel having reached the 50's Celebrity should take this into consideration and offer perks in order to maintain their loyal/senior passengers.

I've booked 55+ ticked the box and no reductions ever appear so come on Celebrity what about:

free bev package as standard on all cruises including transatlantics

obc of $55 dollars and upwards depending on your age

Anything else?

what makes you think they have any interest in keeping seniors sailing with them? They do offer 55+ discounts sometimes but they're ususally not combinable with any other 'perks'.

This is true, and no perks because they are usually at substantial discount s(much like the resident rates, exciting deals, etc...)

It seems that everywhere I go I get a discount because I'm 55+.

Publix, McDonalds, Theatre, etc.

I think people in their 20s (The screwed generation) should be getting the discounts.

OTOH, why give a discount based on age to anyone?

I also believe that Celebrity is targeting a younger crowd. So we, the over 55 crowd are no longer the focus of Celebrity

True... Strange that one always seems to be in the wrong age? When you are young - everything are targeted for old people and when you finally get over that... you will find that they now target the young ones.... Gahh!:rolleyes:

Edited by sollan

I think people in their 20s (The screwed-UP generation) should be getting the discounts.

Are you sure about wanting the senior discount? It's only good after final payment or when there are no other perks.

I think people in their 20s (The screwed generation) should be getting the discounts.

Are you sure about wanting the senior discount? It's only good after final payment or when there are no other perks.

I don't believe discounts should be given based on age. Discounts based on loyalty are already given regardless of age.

It makes sense that it takes a few years for most people to reach Elite, Zenith, etc. so in most cases older people do receive those perks/discounts.

I don't believe we have ever received a discount based on age from a cruise line. We sail mostly on X, and they have a place to check on their website if you are 55+, but a special rate has never appeared for me.

Discounts are always nice...but alas they do not always happen. I too have reached the magical age and felt sad the first time I ordered off of the senior menu and the waitress did not bat an eye.:o

Unfortunately, I am addicted to cruises and so even without the discount I plop my hard earned cash down and go for it.

Anyway....if Celebrity would like to give me something for making it to the 55 mark I would be very happy to receive it:D

The wife and I have been cruising every other year since 1988- She is now retired and I will retire late next year. We had planned on cruising 2 to 3 times a year after my retirement, but without discounts & now they say no more last minute price reductions for cruises within 30-45 days of sailing I may have to try the all inclusive thing. I can see Celebrity going after the younger crowd- we won't live forever, but I have 6-10 cruises in me for the next 5 years at least- should my $$ be going somewhere else? Also last 6 cruises have been 10 days & we are on our 1st 14 day Eclipse in early 2017. After that it will be Hawaii to Australia for 20+ so any little discount to us old folks would be nice!;)

There are so many things you don't get a discount on for being over 55....for example DR and Hospital bills, car purchases, home purchases, airline tickets...obviously I can go on.

Some businesses feel that offering a senior discount helps their business. A very very few offer a senior discount as a social gesture. If celebrity wants to fill a ship at the last minute with locals, seniors are the most flexible so "bribe" them....which is essentially what Celebrity (and other cruise lines) do. If the ships are full at higher prices, no need to discount.

Using the Eclipse as an example,it was obvious to me when we were on it last winter that many of the passengers were well into the 70 plus age group. They never left the ship on port days and I also noticed that many don't even drink alcohol.Let's face it- the cruise companies make their money on the extras and I'm willing to bet that the more senior cruisers don't add to the bottom line since they tend not to spend extra money.

It's all very nice that Celebrity seems to be able to fill their ships at this point in time but just wait until the next turn down in the US economy and as the baby boomers aren't able to travel for a multitude of reasons and I'm sure there will be more deals.

There are so many things you don't get a discount on for being over 55....for example DR and Hospital bills, car purchases, home purchases, airline tickets...obviously I can go on.

I was searching for airline tickets this morning, and one site defined "adult" as ages 2 through 64, and "senior" as 65+:eek: As far as I know neither gets a discount.

Some businesses feel that offering a senior discount helps their business. A very very few offer a senior discount as a social gesture. If celebrity wants to fill a ship at the last minute with locals, seniors are the most flexible so "bribe" them....which is essentially what Celebrity (and other cruise lines) do. If the ships are full at higher prices, no need to discount.

I think every cruise we've sailed on at least 70% of the passengers were over the age of 55. At retirement age we are the ones with the time, and hopefully some money.

We have not sailed on the new RCL ships that have bumper cars, wave rider, etc. I'd expect those ships to often have younger crowds.

I don't believe discounts should be given based on age. Discounts based on loyalty are already given regardless of age.

It makes sense that it takes a few years for most people to reach Elite, Zenith, etc. so in most cases older people do receive those perks/discounts.

I don't believe we have ever received a discount based on age from a cruise line. We sail mostly on X, and they have a place to check on their website if you are 55+, but a special rate has never appeared for me.

I have seen many 55+ and resident discounts on =X=. When the option for the BBB choices appears, you need to click on the check other rates. If 55+ or resident discounts are available, this is where they will show. No realize, there are no perks associated with these rates.

I think it also proves that the =X= promotion saying you get 1 free perk is extremely misleading. The base price has that 1 perk in the price, when you compare the rate including the perk to the 55 or resident rate, there is a price for the free perk.;)

....OTOH, why give a discount based on age to anyone?

TO MAKE MORE MONEY!!! That is the ONLY reason they do it...They (generic companies) know that the over 55 crowd have the money to spend, have many choices where to spend it, and want them to spend the money with their companies...A little enticement is all it takes in some cases to change spending behavior!

I must have gotten lost. I thought the topic at hand was free perks for ages 55+. Yeah we all want discounts, but if indeed the dominant Celebrity demographic is seniors then what would be the inducement to dole out freebies? I would rather they hold the line on general pricing overall and provide more transparency in booking prices, i.e. pricing both with and without their various all-inclusive add ons. For example not everybody cares about drink packages, or free internet, and also the real value on non-refundable OBC is very relative. If the cost of the perk offered is built into the cabin charge (we all know that it is) then give me a clear indication how much I can get the cabin for without the perk.

I booked a Southern Caribbean cruise on Eclipse in Sept 2012 ( sailing March 2013) and was given the 55+ discount.

When I rang to pay 60 days before sailing, I was given an upgrade from 2B ( no 2A available when I booked) to 1A at a reduction of £496. The new invoice was sent without the discount attached, so I rang Celebrity and the price was adjusted to reflect the 55+ discount. It was just before included classic beverage perks started being added ( we don't get too many perks from Celebrity UK)

The last time I went to the theater (just a few months ago), and asked for a senior rate, it was just 50 cents off per ticket that cost $17.00 to enter. Not worth the time and effort it took me do dig out my drivers license in order to prove my age.

TO MAKE MORE MONEY!!! That is the ONLY reason they do it...They (generic companies) know that the over 55 crowd have the money to spend, have many choices where to spend it, and want them to spend the money with their companies...A little enticement is all it takes in some cases to change spending behavior!

Seriously, Celebrity doesn't want the 55+ demographic anymore, as evidenced by the comments of a certain Celebrity cruise director who said exactly that when one of us "oldsters" dared to ask for music geared to the 1960's/1970's generations. Many of the recent changes with the cruise line also point to Celebrity not wanting to cater to retirees, despite the fact that they have the time, and disposable income to cruise.

Using the Eclipse as an example,it was obvious to me when we were on it last winter that many of the passengers were well into the 70 plus age group. They never left the ship on port days and I also noticed that many don't even drink alcohol.Let's face it- the cruise companies make their money on the extras and I'm willing to bet that the more senior cruisers don't add to the bottom line since they tend not to spend extra money.

It's all very nice that Celebrity seems to be able to fill their ships at this point in time but just wait until the next turn down in the US economy and as the baby boomers aren't able to travel for a multitude of reasons and I'm sure there will be more deals.

I think every cruise we've sailed on at least 70% of the passengers were over the age of 55. At retirement age we are the ones with the time, and hopefully some money.

We have not sailed on the new RCL ships that have bumper cars, wave rider, etc. I'd expect those ships to often have younger crowds.

DH and I are seniors. Let me assure you, we do leave the ship, we do book excursions, we do drink alcohol, we buy pictures, and we do spend money on the ship in the shops and in the eateries.

I have not sailed on the newest RCL ships yet either, but I did go on the Oasis. DH and I liked it so well, we did a B2B on her sister ship, the Allure. Loved that just as much. And, I will also state that there were plenty of people our age on the ships. In fact our roll calls were made up of people the same age as DH and I. I will admit some of the "seniors" were part of a multi generation family vacation. But a lot of them were traveling with out children and grandchildren. They were enjoying things like the zip line (me) and the flow rider. Chronological age has nothing to do with spending money and activity level.

Nothing keeping us off of the newest RCI ships, but our next cruise is on the Solstice to Alaska in July 2016. I had the Explorer of the Seas booked for Alaska in July 2016, but cancelled it because the price on the Solstice was so much better. Combining the cabin rate and the "Best" offer on the Solstice was still cheaper then the Explorer.

Yes, I think they should, but then I'm over 55, so I would ;) Edited to say, we certainly spend money. My DH only drinks alcohol on holiday (because he likes it a bit too much), I love cocktails. I also love expensive spa treatments and we book excursions! I'm 56 and my DH is 62. We'll be spending money on these things for many years if we are lucky enough to be living!

Edited by Priya2

no real need to lure you in at 55+ as this is the biggest cruising demographic....never understood the senior discounts....a prize for getting old?...dubious at best

Perhaps a bit controversial but I feel having reached the 50's Celebrity should take this into consideration and offer perks in order to maintain their loyal/senior passengers.

I've booked 55+ ticked the box and no reductions ever appear so come on Celebrity what about:

free bev package as standard on all cruises including transatlantics

obc of $55 dollars and upwards depending on your age

Anything else?

Seriously, Celebrity doesn't want the 55+ demographic anymore, as evidenced by the comments of a certain Celebrity cruise director who said exactly that when one of us "oldsters" dared to ask for music geared to the 1960's/1970's generations. Many of the recent changes with the cruise line also point to Celebrity not wanting to cater to retirees, despite the fact that they have the time, and disposable income to cruise.

Let me guess who this could be? Possibly he likes his ship because it reminds me he can see his own REFLECTION? Am I correct?