US Passport Rumour

Ataraxia

There appears to be a rumour going round that millions of people will need a new UK passport to enter the US. I have read the story, and it seems that the US want people to have a biometric passport. As they were introduced in March 2006, and most cruise lines require at least six months left on your passport, I cannot see it being a problem. Umless someone can prove I am a totally wrong.

There appears to be a rumour going round that millions of people will need a new UK passport to enter the US. I have read the story, and it seems that the US want people to have a biometric passport. As they were introduced in March 2006, and most cruise lines require at least six months left on your passport, I cannot see it being a problem. Umless someone can prove I am a totally wrong.

I thought biometric passports had been a requirement for entry to the US since the aftermath of 9/11? I'm sure I had reason to check into this a few years ago, because my passport at the time wasn't.

Biometric passports have the symbol on the front cover low down it's a god dot with two gold halves above and below it creating a rectangle.

You also need to have applied for your ESTA.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

The cruise lines say 6 months left on your passport . US and Canada only require that your passport is valid until the day you leave . Some countries require 3 months or countries require 6 months. The cruise line's comment is wrong.

The cruise lines say 6 months left on your passport . US and Canada only require that your passport is valid until the day you leave . Some countries require 3 months or countries require 6 months. The cruise line's comment is wrong.

Taken from P & ) website

'The following passport and visa information is for British Citizens only. Non British Citizen passport holder requirements may differ. Please check with the Embassies of the countries you are travelling to for the most up to date information. You will need to have 6 months validity in your passport after your date of return and we recommend that you have some blank pages in your passport for entry/exit stamps.'

The cruise lines; as do UK travel agents quite often quote a "you need a six months validity period remaining on your passport after your scheduled return date" and this is not consistent with the majority of the requirement of a lot of Nations. I think this is to cover them in a rare case where a holiday takes place in the one or two countries that have a more stringent rule and where a country re-writes the rule at short notice. Therefore cruise line and travel agents would not be held to blame in these rare instances with you having a good legal case for a refund as they have covered themselves with a rule. It's a bit like having to be over 21 to drink alcohol not over 18, the ship could impose an 18 or indeed a 19 year old requirement for passengers where the local laws permitted drinking at 18.

The main problem to anyone attempting to travel is that the cruise line has made up a rule and if you do not comply with it they have the power to refuse to let you board the ship.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I thought the same Ataraxia. The biometric chips were introduced in 2006 so how can it be that millions of people intending to visit the USA will need one? You can apply for a passport 9 months in advance so anybody whose passport dated between December 05 and March 06 can apply now. Millions? Definitely not.

I think it was typical media trying to wind people up with a non-story

My passport is due September 2016, so I am applying in January to cover both my cruises next year.

UK passport holders may renew their passports at any time during its validity. When renewing, any unexpired portion will be added to the ten years validity of the new passport. There is a limit on transferring the validity length from the old passport to the new passport which is a maximum of nine months credited to the new one. Under this administrative system a new passport may be valid for any length of time from ten years up to ten years and nine months.

US passports are not dealt with in the same way and people tend to lose six months effective validity each passport due to the rules which cruise lines impose as in the thread of this post.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

UK passport holders may renew their passports at any time during its validity. When renewing, any unexpired portion will be added to the ten years validity of the new passport. There is a limit on transferring the validity length from the old passport to the new passport which is a maximum of nine months credited to the new one. Under this administrative system a new passport may be valid for any length of time from ten years up to ten years and nine months.

US passports are not dealt with in the same way and people tend to lose six months effective validity each passport due to the rules which cruise lines impose as in the thread of this post.

Regards John

Well with me using a mobility scooter, my cabin type and my Peninsular standing I have so much priority they take us out to Nabs head when the ship comes in to port, with the pilot. :) :) :) :)

Well with me using a mobility scooter, my cabin type and my Peninsular standing I have so much priority they take us out to Nabs head when the ship comes in to port, with the pilot. :) :) :) :)

Sorry wrong thread. How did that happen???

Too much moritz perchance ;)

anyway, what is your current favourite having sampled all the beers in the main bar on Britannia :eek::D

St Andrews Ale from Bellhaven Brewery.

I was more interested in the Gin menu in the Crows Nest. And of course the wine in the glass house. 4 weeks was just not enough.

Once we checked what our travel insurance would be, we decided the US could do without us :-)

We are going to the Caribbean in January, after that, like you, won't be flying west again. We had to pay £500 excess over our annual insurance which only covered Europe.

We are going to the Caribbean in January, after that, like you, won't be flying west again. We had to pay £500 excess over our annual insurance which only covered Europe.

It's due to high cost of Medical treatment in USA but an extra £500 seems excessive.

Edited by bee-ess

We both have underlying medical conditions and our insurance for the Caribbean and USA is certainly a huge cost but it's worth every penny to us. There will no doubt come a time when we're not able to travel and although we don't fly we want to make the most of cruising and seeing wonderful places while we can. We don't want to have regrets about what might have been.

Edited by tartanexile81

I think, from memory only, that there is a difference between full UK citizens' passports, and UK passports held by people who live abroad and/or don't have full UK citizenship. Anyone who lives in the UK and is a UK citizen will ordinarily be already covered.

I think, from memory only, that there is a difference between full UK citizens' passports, and UK passports held by people who live abroad and/or don't have full UK citizenship. Anyone who lives in the UK and is a UK citizen will ordinarily be already covered.

There are six types of British Citizen and for some they hold a different type of British passport. These vary in relation to status of the person, and variants of passport will exist. I think these for example endorsed with phrases such as: "and has right of abode in the United Kingdom", some passport holders are not entitled to do this. I should have thought the standard of security across the range should however be consistent.

Regards John

I thought biometric passports had been a requirement for entry to the US since the aftermath of 9/11? I'm sure I had reason to check into this a few years ago, because my passport at the time wasn't.

I've just renewed my passport, but had no problem entering the USA with my old (non-biometric) passport in March 2015.