Riviera vs smaller Oceania ships

oldpharmguy

We sailed on the Riviera this past February and really loved the whole experience. My question is and I know this is subjective, will we be disappointed if we sail one of the smaller ships? As we are nearing the end of our cruising days we would like to make the wisest decision. Thanks in advance.

Hi LHT28, As you can see from our "signature" all of our previous cruises have been on mid-sized ships, so to go from 1500 passengers to 700 passengers, might eliminate some of the activities you would get with the larger. I guess to answer your question about what we liked about Riviera, I would have to say it was a definite "upgrade" in all aspects, from food to cabin appointments and also to service. Are the mentioned items the same on R-ships compared to Riviera? Thanks for responses.

Sorry I have signatures blocked ;)

The R-ships of course are smaller ..same food & service (hopefully)

We sail in the lower Cat cabins so cannot comment on PH or above cabins

The big differences are no tubs in A cabins & below

only 2 specialty restaurants

Carpeting in the public areas ( I think that is still the case) unlike the O class ships with marble floors

no culinary classes or La Reserve dinners

There are some photos of the R ships on the Preismans blog they do a very good job of photos of the ships

http://www.thepreismans.com/china_japan_page1.htm

I have not been on an R-ship since 2010 but will be in April

I am sure others with current experience will answer more current questions

We like both size ships for different reasons

As LHT28 said the Preismans have done a review on both the R ships and the Riviera. I think somewhere that they mention that they prefer the Riviera. I do too.

One reason would be the bathrooms. They a quite a bit larger and nicer on Riviera than the R ships. I have been in an oceanview and a Penthouse on the R ships. The PH bathrooms are okay- a fraction larger than HAL balcony cabin baths. The balcony and Oceanview bathrooms on R ships are smaller than any HAL(see you have quite a few days on HAL) balcony or oceanview bathrooms.

I really like La Reserve which is not on R ships and the Terrace Grill on R ships - even though they have been upgraded- is not as nice as The Riviera Terrace Grill - not as many options(JMO))

Biggest surprise for me after many HAL cruises was how much I liked dinner in the Terrace Grill -would never dream of having dinner in the LIDO on HAL.

One advantage of a smaller ship over a larger one is that you may get a more desirable berthing spot in port. The example that comes to mind for me is St. Petersburg. We were there several years ago on the Regatta. The ship was docked very close to the city. Easy walking. A larger ship would not have been allowed to dock there. There were larger ships much further back, not walkable into town.

Biggest surprise for me after many HAL cruises was how much I liked dinner in the Terrace Grill -would never dream of having dinner in the LIDO on HAL.

Agree - when we do not dine in the specialties we dine in the Terrace on O ships- very rarely in the MDR.

Unlike Paul, we rarely dine in the Terrace; almost always in the main dining room (and Waves for lunch :)). We find the MDR experience very similar on both the larger and smaller ships, and Waves is almost identical. We have grown accustomed to the specialty restaurants and their rarely changed menus, so that is not as important for us any more, but if that is important for you, you may miss the extra specialties (Jacques and Red Ginger) from the larger ships. Also, there is no La Reserve, no culinary center, no artists loft, and no Privee. The library on the smaller ships is much nicer than the larger ships.

The theater on the smaller ships is completely different, better in some ways and worse in others. It is more intimate with a variety of seating choices, some with small tables, more like a theater lounge. But, the stage is much, much smaller, the ceiling is much lower, the accoustics bounce more off the ceiling, and the lighting not as fancy. Saying that, if you go early to the theater and get a front row seat, you'll likely like it better than Riviera.

The pool on Riviera and Marina is fabulous for us old fogies; it has gentle steps leading into the water. The pool on the smaller ships is smaller and entry is by a ladder.

Saying all that, our very first Oceania cruise was on Regatta for 26 days; each time we return to the smaller ships it's like returning home. We're booked on Insignia for the 6 month world cruise. On the other hand, Riviera is our favorite -- we sailed on her christening cruise, her maiden cruise, her inaugural Panama Canal cruise and several times since.

The one thing that will NOT change between the sizes of the ships is the people -- and on the smaller ships, you'll get to know more of them, more easily.

One advantage of a smaller ship over a larger one is that you may get a more desirable berthing spot in port. The example that comes to mind for me is St. Petersburg. We were there several years ago on the Regatta. The ship was docked very close to the city. Easy walking. A larger ship would not have been allowed to dock there. There were larger ships much further back, not walkable into town.

Another example of this is Bermuda, the R ships can get into Hamilton and presumably St George(our stop in St George on Regatta was canceled due to wind, stayed in Hamilton another day.

The O ships have to dock at The Navy Dockyard(when they're not turned away by the Ministry Of Health:cool:):rolleyes:

While I must admit to a prejudice towards the "O" class ships (those bathrooms are hard to beat) we have also totally enjoyed our Amazon cruise on Regatta as it was an itinerary that only comes around just once or twice a year. So I would recommend choosing an itinerary first and then see what ships might be sailing it.

As was already mentioned the "smaller" ships have a more intimate feel and it seems like you get to meet just about everyone on board and Oceania cruisers tend to be some of the nicest people that you will meet at sea.

As was also mentioned the size of the ship can be an advantage when it comes to berthing allotments and port selection so have fun planning that next cruise!

I've yet to find an answer to this (not to hijack this thread, but along the same thinking): Do the R class ships' showers have curtains or glass in the standard verandah cabins? We've sailed Marina three times (loved that ship & the bathrooms)... Reason I ask is we sailed Azamara a few years ago (another R class ship) and the shower curtain in that tiny shower was quite a pain to "work around" :) We are on Nautica (first Oceania R class trip) next March... Thanks!

I've yet to find an answer to this (not to hijack this thread, but along the same thinking): Do the R class ships' showers have curtains or glass in the standard verandah cabins? We've sailed Marina three times (loved that ship & the bathrooms)... Reason I ask is we sailed Azamara a few years ago (another R class ship) and the shower curtain in that tiny shower was quite a pain to "work around" :) We are on Nautica (first Oceania R class trip) next March... Thanks!

Sorry but O has the friendly shower curtains :D

DH and I are torn as to which we prefer -- Marina/Riviera or the "R" ships. We like both. Recently most of our cruises have been on Marina but that's been because of itineraries, not because we were insisting that a cruise be on one of the newer ships.

There are plenty of people who prefer the smaller ships so that is a consideration you should factor in.

Yes, the cabins are smaller on the "R" ships. I don't think you indicated which category of cabin you are considering and that is an important factor to some. We prefer larger cabins (okay, to be honest *I* prefer them!) but you will also see many posts from people who book the cheapest cabin they can simply because they are rarely IN them. What is your cruising style?

The OS on an "R" ship is about 1,000 sf (which includes the spacious deck) whereas the OS on Marina or Riviera is twice that. There are more of the top suites available on the newer ships which isn't surprising given the increased passenger capacity.

Normally we sail in a PH on the "R" ships because I find the bathrooms much too small in the lower cabins. If management is removing the bath tubs in the PH category on Sirena, I assume down the line they will be doing the same with Regatta, Insignia and Nautica.

Closet capacity is better on the newer ships as well, not that we had a problem in the "A" and "PH" categories on the "R" ships.

Yes, fewer dining choices on the smaller ships ... but they are giving some menu choices in the GDR from Jacques now, and Polo and Toscana are being combined so that Red Ginger will be available. Many like that idea, I personally do not -- but that's because Red Ginger is our least favorite specialty restaurant.

So there are lots of things for you to consider!

Mura

It usually does not bother me but for those that have a problem & not as convenient ..think " spa showers" ;)

Oh it's not THAT terrible! Just a kind of "clingy". ;) Best part of the O class bathrooms is two people can shower at once (which we've done several times whilst in a rush!) I think I can overlook this given the fantastic itinerary we've got lined up (Beijing to Hong Kong). I'm beyond excited as this will be my first time in Asia and we've got a whole month to explore some really great cities!

The showed curtain is not as bad as it used to be; in the old days it was short and sort of flimsy. The new curtains are more substantial and not as clingy.

Also, I have it on good authority that two people, only slightly overweight, will fit in an R ship veranda shower at the same time.

The showed curtain is not as bad as it used to be; in the old days it was short and sort of flimsy. The new curtains are more substantial and not as clingy.

Also, I have it on good authority that two people, only slightly overweight, will fit in an R ship veranda shower at the same time.

:eek::eek::eek:

They may fir but no one can bend down (lol).

We do prefer the Riviera over the Nautica and Regatta. It has such an a classy feel to it and, to me, the most elegant ship we have been on. There is nothing wrong with the smaller ships, especially since the recent remodels. We just prefer the larger size ships, especially the theater, since they have stadium seating. We liked the Riviera so much, we booked a two week cruise on her while we were onboard.

But I do agree with Orv, who was on our Regatta cruise to Bermuda, it is so nice to be able to get closer in the cities on the smaller size ship. We enjoyed that size ship with Azamara when we were able to get right into Saigon and Bangkok.

The best way to find out if you like the smaller ships it try one. You might not like it as much as the larger ones; but I am sure you will still have a most enjoyable cruising experience.