Kindergarten Level Question: Regarding Single Supplement

Redleaf

Dear All,

Pardon me as a newbie in cruising, is asking kindergarten level question here.

I am very curious about how the single supplement fees are being calculated.

Is the single supplement fees calculate by:

a/ average cost per person x single supplement rate, or,

b/ total cost per room x single supplement rate?

Thank you.

On most lines there is no single supplement rate. Rates for the cabin are per person, based on two in the cabin. So a single person would actually be paying for two, 200% Some lines will 'lower' the rate for cruises that are not selling as well, to 180, 175, 160, 150% for example. NCL has some tiny cabins built for singles on some of their newest ships. If calculated out, most of those rates are 150% of the basic fare. EM

The COST of the cabins is what 2 would pay...cabins are based on DOUBLE OCCUPANCY....

Cruise lines could take the mystery out of this whole thing if they simply priced the cabin as "up to 2 people"....that way, folks wouldn't get their panties in a wad when traveling alone, thinking they're paying double.....

Think of it this way: A cabin you want is priced at $1000 per person, since most cabins are based on two people per cabin. You would pay the full $2000, minus the port fees and taxes for one person because they can't charge port fees for a non-existent person. If you find a deal where they aren't charging the full per person fare, let's say you find a deal where it's 150%, you'd pay $1500 for your cabin. There really isn't anything called a single supplement rate.

Virtually all cruises are priced on a per person basis - assuming that there will be two to a cabin. Depending on promotions and how well the particular itinerary is selling, the line may apply a single supplemental price of anywhere from 125% to 200% - meaning a person travelling alone will pay that percentage of the per person fare quoted. That percentage can vary as sailing date nears.

This topic is discussed endlessly over on Special Interest Cruising, the Solo and Single threads. As has been pointed out, "Single" and "Single occupancy of a double cabin" are different. Several cruise lines now have single cabins, and they're getting a terrible reputation for being overpriced. "No Single Supplement" is just marketing hype. The supplement for a double cabin varies wildly, both among cruise lines and how well a cruise is selling. Sometimes because a sale "...does not apply to singles", it can be over 200% if you don't read the fine print. cb at sea is right, its the COST to you that counts.

There are some cruise lines that do not charge solo travelers 200% in certain categories. For example, on Cunard you will pay 175% of the per person double occupancy fare for interior, ocean view and balconies (suites are 200%). On Holland American the rate is usually about 165% for interiors and ocean views (balconies and suites are 200%).

I recently took my first cruise on Royal Caribbean. When I booked they were having a BOGO half off sale. Normally RCI charges singles 200% but because of the promotion I only(?) had to pay 150%.

Once in a blue moon you can find a "no single supplement" sale but often they are last minute deals.

Thanks all for the reply.

I do understand a normal room rate is single head cost x 200%. However, I noticed some liner (especially Royal Caribbean's Quantum Of The Seas) is charging almost 300% on their studio room. That is why it spark my doubts.

I think Dancer Bob has describe best by "Several cruise lines now have single cabins, and they're getting a terrible reputation for being overpriced."

This has cleared my doubts, Thanks guys.

Should have mentioned. more important than cost is whether you'll LIKE the cruise. In 10 years, I've become (as far as I know) Costa's top-ranked North American traveler because I like the dancing, cheap is just a bonus.

Since Holland America has been mentioned- I do travel with them with a group, but only if I trust the organiser to plan lots of activities. As as solo, you couldn't get me on one of those floating mausoleums if you paid me.

Edited by Dancer Bob

As Dancer said, most important thing is a ship that fits you, your interests and personality.Like Dancer, I detest HAL.Floating nursing home with food to match. If you are young, want a lively ship, look at the big new ships of CCL, RCL or NCL. Beware of their old ones. Get some cruise books out of library. Read member reviews here. And individual line sites here also. SS is added to basic fare so watch for sales. Balconies are never a deal. I do Insides when cruising solo.I found best single rates on Transatlantics and Caribbeans. Caribs after hurricane season like last week Nov. thru Mid Dec. offer lowest rates, good weather and less crowds.

The COST of the cabins is what 2 would pay...cabins are based on DOUBLE OCCUPANCY....

Cruise lines could take the mystery out of this whole thing if they simply priced the cabin as "up to 2 people"....that way, folks wouldn't get their panties in a wad when traveling alone, thinking they're paying double.....

i say i paid double but i am not complaining or have nickers in a knot etc i just say i have to pay what it costs to have 2 in a room even though there is only me , my choice to have done that so no point complaining if i didn't like it i would not have done it , i want to cruise again and would pick a balcony again for same reasons i picked it this time around but only after i save up the $$$ again , loved the cruise and all that went with it , yes was not cheap , not much is these days anyway when you want to do something you enjoy etc or that you have not done before :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just set your search for "1 person" and look at the price. I NEVER do a search anymore without doing this. I really have no clue what the "regular rate" is, I just look at what it would actually cost me and then base my decision on that price.

Edited by TruckerDave

I think it's also good to look at each line's loyalty program. For instance, Royal Caribbean gives solo cruisers double points (triple for suites) on cruises in a non-studio cabin. You don't get that perk if you sail in one of the new studio broom closets.