Purchasing DSLR Camera on board

jamesnnb

Does anyone know if (besides DSLR cameras) the Camera Dept on board Princess cruises also sell lens that would go with the camera? I know it is hit and miss depending on inventory on board -- but are lens EVER an item that is available for sale?

Depending on your itinerary, you are better off getting the OBC from your account and buy the items ashore. Best prices are in St. Maarten and St. Thomas if you are headed that way or Hong Kong if you are in that part of the world.

Does anyone know if (besides DSLR cameras) the Camera Dept on board Princess cruises also sell lens that would go with the camera? I know it is hit and miss depending on inventory on board -- but are lens EVER an item that is available for sale?

I would recommend B&H Photo prior to your cruise

Howard

Depending on your itinerary, you are better off getting the OBC from your account and buy the items ashore. Best prices are in St. Maarten and St. Thomas if you are headed that way or Hong Kong if you are in that part of the world.

Boolchand on Front Street, St Marten have a big selection.

Thanks, all. It won't be OBC that I can change into cash and buy a camera on land. It is OBC that will go away if not used. Don't need clothes or jeweler and can't drink that much (lol). So it is more of a 'free' camera and no one on land is willing to give me a free camera. I do realize better selection and prices are elsewhere -- but I also have a camera-expert who will be standing by and once I see what makes/models they might have, I can contact him and he will tell me if it will be a good camera for me. (A friend on the Ruby last month checked them out and said they carried a Nikon D3300, which gets high ratings) . It is just a thought of a way to utilize that OBC and have something at the end of the cruise. So, I was wondering if they also carry lens.

As others have said, it depends on the ship and what inventory they have. From our two cruises on Princess (Star and Golden), the cameras and accessories were different. My husband is a Nikon DSLR user. He said he only remembers kits (camera with one or two lenses). Good luck in shopping. Hopefully you can find something that you can use your OBC with.

Based on potential savings over US prices (don't know about foreign prices), it is almost never a good idea to buy a camera on a ship. High prices and lousy selection.

DON

I know you can probably get better prices on land, but we will have a bunch of OBC on our next cruise, so I am hoping to pick up a DSLR and wondered if they also sometimes carry lens. Like a zoom lens.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Thanks, all. It won't be OBC that I can change into cash and buy a camera on land. It is OBC that will go away if not used. Don't need clothes or jeweler and can't drink that much (lol). So it is more of a 'free' camera and no one on land is willing to give me a free camera. I do realize better selection and prices are elsewhere -- but I also have a camera-expert who will be standing by and once I see what makes/models they might have, I can contact him and he will tell me if it will be a good camera for me. (A friend on the Ruby last month checked them out and said they carried a Nikon D3300, which gets high ratings) . It is just a thought of a way to utilize that OBC and have something at the end of the cruise. So, I was wondering if they also carry lens.

Since you have to spend the money and you may not be able to get a camera that you want, you could buy the best one that they have. Then leave the box sealed and sell it when you get back home or gift it to someone or donate it to a charity. At least then you will get some value for the money you have to spend.

DON

Thanks, PurpleRose! Nikon DSLR WITH a lens or two would be perfect for me. That's what I was hoping to hear -- that they also have lens (kit or separate).

In the summer of 2014 while we were sailing on the Ocean Princess, my DW dropped her camera in Scotland. It turned out the camera itself was ok, but not the lens. She was able to buy a Nikon lens (luckily the camera was a Nikon) on board. The person in the photography department was extremely helpful. (We gave him a mention for one of the crew who was especially good at making the cruise excellent.)

We checked prices when we got home, and the on board price was competitive.