On Oasis..Surprise price increases

Tricia28

Actually, initially they didn't increase the price but they started the BOGO offers and discount offers for restaurants. Since their price dropped, it appears the quality fell with it.

By raising the single prices and giving discounts for multiples, hopefully it will mean they raise the quality back again/

You'd think this is the case but it isn't like most cruisers cruise more than once a year -- if even that. RCI's tests and trials are put into effect to be monitored over the long haul, while us regular cruisers see changes happening quickly.

The average cruiser isn't seeing any problems. For them, getting on a castle on the seas once a year keeps them doe eyed and in fantasy land.

All I know is what comes out of my wallet this year versus prior, and thank jacking up the price on a prepaid customer is pure bunk. I don't work for RCI. I understand marketing but I don't need to justify it for them. I'm the customer and want to maximize value. If prices go up so should quality. if quality goes down, prices should go down too.

You're right, far more starry eyed folks out there than me, and many with deeper pockets to boot.

We ate at Chef's Table on the Oasis in July.

During the meal: people walked by in shorts talking loudly, some even came close to see what was being served, noise from both the Suites Lounge and Coastal Kitchen made it difficult to hear everything being said at the table.

A glass wall should have been installed to divide Chef's Table from the rest of the area.

I doubt that we will eat at Chef's Table on the Oasis or Allure again.

Chef's Table on the Anthem is in the back of Chops with a dividing wall and door….a much better environment.

Your experience is exactly what I predicted with the location. I would have been angry to spend that kind of money for that experience. Sorry it happened to you :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Actually, initially they didn't increase the price but they started the BOGO offers and discount offers for restaurants. Since their price dropped, it appears the quality fell with it.

By raising the single prices and giving discounts for multiples, hopefully it will mean they raise the quality back again/

You'd think this is the case but it isn't like most cruisers cruise more than once a year -- if even that. RCI's tests and trials are put into effect to be monitored over the long haul, while us regular cruisers see changes happening quickly.

The average cruiser isn't seeing any problems. For them, getting on a castle on the seas once a year keeps them doe eyed and in fantasy land.

I do like the way you put that. And you can probably multiply it ten fold for the first time cruiser.

I just checked my upcoming March sailing on the Navigator - Chops is showing $35 pp. I'm not even going to pay that amount. $45? That's way out there.

But... and this is the kicker... Lots of other people will -especially first time or infrequent cruisers where everything is special and everything is justified by "hey, we are on vacation". Like another posted pointed out - those types of cruisers don't even know there is an issue -they simply pay and go.

I think the worst example for this type of behavior is the Labadee Nelles Beach cabanas. They doubled in price from $250 to $495 in a matter of 6 months. They know that people will pay for them - it just won't be the same people - and royal doesn't care - they just want them booked.

I'm hoping (but not holding my breath) that they have pushed too far, and prices will start coming down because there are too many empty tables in the specialty restaurants, or too many empty Cabanas on Labadee.

In 2 years Chops has gone up 50%. And it was barely a deal at $30 for the old menu.

I don't like this ceaseless, incremental, and pervasive nickel and diming of guests. To do it to those that already prepaid is unfathomable. What if you prepay your service charges and you get on and they want more? :rolleyes:

Well, in my opinion, when Chop's still included prime steaks and unlimited entrees, $30 was an absolute steal.

In one of my businesses in 2014, I did something that angered so many of my return customers of the prior 4 years -- I probably lost 70% of them to competition over the course of that year.

But my actual sales went up around 600% and my profitability went up even more. Instead of getting repeat customers who come back to me 6 times a year on average, I see a return customer come back maybe twice a year. In the industry as a whole, even twice a year is record setting as an average.

My newer customers don't feel an entitlement, and they don't think I'm their buddy.

What's odd is that many of the old customers who fled with passionate anger have slyly come back in the previous few months. I can't figure out why that is, either, because the service we offer is inferior to our competition, our prices are a bit higher, and I'd say our quality is on par with the other top tier competitors. In short, the one thing we do well is marketing, but I know we could do better in other areas.

In the end, the fact that the profit line grows by 20% a year is all that keeps me focused on the new structure. Yes, I angered people, a lot of people, but the only way to prove one's value in the market is by the profit line -- not by reviews.

In the old days, I chased positive reviews and had a goal of having 20-25% of my customers review our services. Today, I don't care -- and less than 1% of customers bother to write a review.

End result: people who tend to leave reviews are not customers I will chase, and people who need my product often aren't the profitable one compared to people who need it once in a blue moon.

I think Royal stole from my new playbook, but the shareholders are ecstatic. Stock was at $60 at some point this year, now it's at $90.

I would agree with this business model if the product was just amazing, fantastic and unparalleled but I would not describe the food and experiences I have had on this ship as that. Cats as entertainment? Amazing ice skaters forced to wear threadbare costumes and tired music from years ago because Royal doesn't invest in freshening things up? Customers with more money to spend are usually exposed to finer dining and entertainment experiences. I can't help but think this will eventually start to bite them in the ass. I booked a loft suite on Harmony next year but for the price I may want to look at a regular balcony cabin on a cruise line with better food, included beverages and a better staff to passenger ratio. A good example is Disneyworld. Prices are astronomical for rooms and food but I actually had better food and service at Epcot than I have had on this ship and though it was expensive for me it was worth it. Here, not so much.

I am currently sailing the Oasis of the Seas and our family of four found out on our 2nd evening that though we had pre paid for Izumi hibachi online at $30 per person we were informed we would have to pay $5 more to get chicken or a few other entrees or $10 more if we wanted something like steak. In effect the manager told me that nothing on the menu was $30 any more and we would have to pay more to eat there. I was pretty irritated since Royal Caribbean has had my money for 2 months only to tell me when I get on board I now owe more if I want to eat anything at the restaurant I prepaid for and am now sitting at. Another couple at our table was also pretty upset and stated they would not be cruising Royal Caribbean again. It was only after we made a pretty big stink about it that the manager agreed to accept our prepaid amount of $30 per person in order for us to stay and eat. When we first boarded I bought the five restaurant specialty dining package for $120. I was mistakenly charged for an extra person and had to have that charge removed as well. I was also overcharged for a drink in the comedy club although the menu said $10 the drinks are actually ringing at $10.95. Tonight we ate in Central Park 150 and my husband has the premium beverage package so he was offered the specialty martini and told it would be $3 more which was fine but when we actually got the bill he was charged $4 more (not including tip) It's not that the amounts are large it's the principle that all of the costs are being misstated. Our waiter told us that all of the specialty dining prices have been increased this week. Two days before I left I printed out all the prices and menus for specialty dining. Just a heads up that the menus online and the prices were wrong two days before sailing. Here are the current and new prices for specialty dining on oasis :

Chops was $39 now $45

CP150 was $40 now $45

Izumi Hibachi was $30 now $35

Giovanni's was $25 now $30

Solarium Bistro was $20 now $25

We had made a reservation for the Chef's Table but cancelled once we found out that the chefs table has been moved to deck 17 in an alcove between the Coastal Kitchen and suite lounge facing the bar. It is no longer in a private area and when I went up to look at it there was a baby crying in the lounge at 9 p.m. not a place I want to enjoy a $95 dinner and wine pairing.

In answer to the people who inevitably will blame me for being irritated about these issues, yes, I am enjoying my cruise. I always enjoy my cruises but I definitely am rethinking the reservation I made for Harmony next year. I just think that Royal Caribbean's corporate office makes too many changes too fast and no one really knows what's going on. I've seen it a lot on the ship this week. With the money I spend on suite accommodations, specialty dining and bar packages I might be better served to take a regular balcony cabin on a higher class of ship. I'm not saying that I will never sail on Royal again but I'm definitely going to think more carefully about other cruise lines than I have in the past. There have been too many changes for me and most of them are not good nor benefiting guests. I definitely got that feeling from a lot of the Diamond and Diamond Plus guests on board and their discussions with me in the lounge.

The old bait and switch routine is alive and well on the high seas.

My last cruise was on the Freedom of the Seas shortly after it had come out of a drydock upgrade. While I don't recall the name of the restaurant, the lunch was advertised at $15 and that is what I paid. No problem there. I ordered a drink that I realized was separate. Imagine my surprise when the bill comes and the one drink is 44.4% of the total meal cost. The drink was $12.

Lesson learned, don't order any drinks from the restaurants.

I have one more cruise booked with Royal Caribbean, and then I'm going to see what the others have to offer. My next cruise after the Royal Caribbean cruise is with NCL. It will be my third cruise on NCL. I love the forward facing balconies, especially when going through the Panama Canal. However, I am not a fan of Freestyle cruising (though I do like the no formal nights).

I'm loyal to Royal but these issues you're having would not sit well with me at all.

If I book something and prices are quoted for the ship, you best believe I'll be reminding them that they're sticking to the program promised me.

There's nothing worse than being promised one price and then have it change. I understand why prices go up, but at the same time there is no reason you have to put up a stink -- management should fix $3 or $5 issues without wasting anyone's time.

As you know, I've traded posts with you on other threads. I know you have had some bad deals with some of the prior cruise lines you've been on. I have been on five cruise lines and I'm looking to add at least three more to the list, eventually. However, since I look into what is happening with a lot of cruise lines, I can tell you that all have horror stories of their own. Don't expect Royal Caribbean to be your saver. Royal Caribbean has a lot of positives going for it, but it has its issues also.

My last cruise was on the Freedom of the Seas shortly after it had come out of a drydock upgrade. While I don't recall the name of the restaurant, the lunch was advertised at $15 and that is what I paid. No problem there. I ordered a drink that I realized was separate. Imagine my surprise when the bill comes and the one drink is 44.4% of the total meal cost. The drink was $12.

I have one more cruise booked with Royal Caribbean, and then I'm going to see what the others have to offer. My next cruise after the Royal Caribbean cruise is with NCL. It will be my third cruise on NCL. I love the forward facing balconies, especially when going through the Panama Canal. However, I am not a fan of Freestyle cruising (though I do like the no formal nights).

The cucumber martini at CP150 is $15.95 before tip. Last night was the first time I have dined in the restaurant without having one (its my favorite drink) bit its just too expensive for me to justify anymore. Last year our whole party ordered them during dinner. I too am considering and NCL because I can stay in the a Haven suite much cheaper than a suite on the Oasis.

RCI has been amazing to me so far, but I am not loyal without rational thought. I know where my dollars can go with every cruise I book!

When I book a cruise on RCI, I also check out the competitors for the same travel days. I log and note that cruise's price in my history. I even follow up on those cruises' roll calls and reviews on the other forums (I don't post, just read). I compare notes with what happened to me on my RCI cruise.

So far, every cruise I've taken has been head and shoulders above what else I could have had for a similar price.

I'll try Virgin when they come. I'm actually going to try Azamara in 2017 at least once. I'll be on a Costa cruise in 2016 that a client is paying me to go on. I'll be trying MSC as a gift from a cruiser who has gotten too ill to cruise and the couple is gifting me a free cruise. I definitely have options -- but I also monitor the options before, during and after my cruises and I can't see anything special happening elsewhere.

How many people on this RCI subforum compare what is going on elsewhere? I do. If I saw C or NCL or MSC having rave reviews without similar complaints, I'd try them out (again, or for the first time). I'm not seeing that.

You seem like an intelligent person who knows what he wants and does his homework. I'm not going to tell you how to spend your money. I'm D+ with Royal and Platinum with Carnival. I've decided to expand my horizons. But I have no qualms about booking future cruises with Carnival or Royal Caribbean. I roll with the punches. However, for me, this turns out to be a good time to see what else is out there - and I will not even mention spreadsheets on this thread. :)

Edited by Cuizer2

Wow. Thanks for the update Tricia.

I think we are officially done with Chops. That's too bad since we had two very good meals there on our last cruise.

We gave up on Chops after poor service and not up to usual standard food on two different ships.

When we sailed the Oasis this summer, we were denied a rebate for booking an excursion.

Last summer was a promotion that if you book 2 excursions on line and the third on board you would get a $25 price reduction.

So I printed it and took it with me when I made that booking.

The RCI worker said he knew nothing about it and would not honor it.

So went to the conciernage lounge showed him the offer and it was taken care of.

Frustrating that it was dealt with in a round about way, but got it taken care of.

Safe travels.

Funny you should mention the concierge. I used to be completely self-sufficient, and probably could be still, but I've found that the concierge can cut through a lot of nonsense in short order.

My DD and her friends are currently on Oasis. They booked chops when they boarded for Thursday night but cancelled because they just felt the price was higher than they wanted to pay...same with Izumi Hibachi. So they ended up canceling and instead, paid the $16.95 for the steak from chops in the Main Dining room. The other issue they had was that they had an excursion pre-booked online to Blue Lagoon booked thru the ship...it was raining and they decided after getting off the ship that they did not want to do the excursion in the rain. They went back on the ship and asked for a refund and was told No Refund. I knew they have a 24 hr cancellation policy. However, this is exactly why we don't like booking excursions thru the ship. In the past if it is raining, we have been able to cancel and receive our prepaid costs refunded. Never again will I book an excursion thru the ship for this reason.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect a refund when you voluntarily cancel an excursion because you don't feel like getting wet. And I don't think that a private excursion operator would give you a refund under those circumstances, either, unless it was explicitly allowed for at the time you booked or if it was somehow a safety issue (parasailing in a thunderstorm or discovering when your arrive that the tour operator's bus has threadbare tires come to mind).

OP, sorry you had somebody's hand in your pocket every time you turn around. We are fortunate to be able to keep costs relatively under control with BOGO coupons and the CL, but I can still empathize.

And $45 for Chops is nothing short of ludicrous. After our past few experiences, anything over $15 (the price we pay pp with the BOGO) is too much.

I am currently sailing the Oasis of the Seas and our family of four found out on our 2nd evening that though we had pre paid for Izumi hibachi online at $30 per person we were informed we would have to pay $5 more to get chicken or a few other entrees or $10 more if we wanted something like steak. In effect the manager told me that nothing on the menu was $30 any more and we would have to pay more to eat there. I was pretty irritated since Royal Caribbean has had my money for 2 months only to tell me when I get on board I now owe more if I want to eat anything at the restaurant I prepaid for and am now sitting at. Another couple at our table was also pretty upset and stated they would not be cruising Royal Caribbean again. It was only after we made a pretty big stink about it that the manager agreed to accept our prepaid amount of $30 per person in order for us to stay and eat. When we first boarded I bought the five restaurant specialty dining package for $120. I was mistakenly charged for an extra person and had to have that charge removed as well. I was also overcharged for a drink in the comedy club although the menu said $10 the drinks are actually ringing at $10.95. Tonight we ate in Central Park 150 and my husband has the premium beverage package so he was offered the specialty martini and told it would be $3 more which was fine but when we actually got the bill he was charged $4 more (not including tip) It's not that the amounts are large it's the principle that all of the costs are being misstated. Our waiter told us that all of the specialty dining prices have been increased this week. Two days before I left I printed out all the prices and menus for specialty dining. Just a heads up that the menus online and the prices were wrong two days before sailing. Here are the current and new prices for specialty dining on oasis :

Chops was $39 now $45

CP150 was $40 now $45

Izumi Hibachi was $30 now $35

Giovanni's was $25 now $30

Solarium Bistro was $20 now $25

We had made a reservation for the Chef's Table but cancelled once we found out that the chefs table has been moved to deck 17 in an alcove between the Coastal Kitchen and suite lounge facing the bar. It is no longer in a private area and when I went up to look at it there was a baby crying in the lounge at 9 p.m. not a place I want to enjoy a $95 dinner and wine pairing.

In answer to the people who inevitably will blame me for being irritated about these issues, yes, I am enjoying my cruise. I always enjoy my cruises but I definitely am rethinking the reservation I made for Harmony next year. I just think that Royal Caribbean's corporate office makes too many changes too fast and no one really knows what's going on. I've seen it a lot on the ship this week. With the money I spend on suite accommodations, specialty dining and bar packages I might be better served to take a regular balcony cabin on a higher class of ship. I'm not saying that I will never sail on Royal again but I'm definitely going to think more carefully about other cruise lines than I have in the past. There have been too many changes for me and most of them are not good nor benefiting guests. I definitely got that feeling from a lot of the Diamond and Diamond Plus guests on board and their discussions with me in the lounge.

Thanks for the warning. We booked the 4 specialty meal package 3 months ago on Allure - the day it opened and I prepaid for the restaurants for 6 of us. Now, I will be prepared to make a decision if they want extra money. We will have a plan in place - if we think it is worth it we will stay, or we'll walk out and go to Windjammer. I don't think it is fair to change prices on a pre- pay. We once went to Disney world and they had changed the prices for dinner at the castle, but since we had pre-paid for a vacation package - they honored our pre-raised price.

Just got back from Izumi Hibachi that was in our dining package. We were only charged the $5 extra for choosing more than one meat ie chicken and shrimp. The $35 is included in the dinner package bought on board or they didn't want to fight with me again....

Just got back from Izumi Hibachi that was in our dining package. We were only charged the $5 extra for choosing more than one meat ie chicken and shrimp. The $35 is included in the dinner package bought on board or they didn't want to fight with me again....

Thanks so much for getting back to me on that. I was hoping to do that on day 1 with the 3 dinner package. We'll see I guess. :confused:

I think the only ones seeing a Fantasyland are the top tiers. All the perks, discounts, special lounges with the best views, special breakfasts and coffees, preferred seating choices, free drinks, free appetizers, etc, etc. There is nothing special for an average cruiser unless they book a suite. At some point there won't be enough new cruisers to pay for the perks at the top. Why come back when they get an "average" experience for a pretty chunk of change? 10+ years ago it was a Fantasyland for all IMO.

I am booked on NCL in February and they are worse than RCI with the never ending changes of prices for things. Good luck with them.

Looks like they will all go the same route and keep increasing prices until the customers cry uncle.

Bill

And, most cruisers are NOT on Cruise Critic, so they just follow blindly along.

We just got off allure

Giovanni's was 25pp

Chops- 39pp

Samba grill- 30pp

No surprises

I can confirm now, friends onboard, that the pricing on allure has also changed, the day we got off:eek:

Chops-45

gio's-30/20

Izumi-35/40

150-45

Ct-99

Samba-35

I have my first cruise with Royal in April. I read these type of threads and it makes me very nervous with sailing with them.

I am not saying I will not have a great cruise, as I am the type of "go with the flow" type of person, however, its sad to read what Royal is doing. I know that being a first time cruiser with Royal I don't know any better, or what the differences or changes are, but I already know that the prices that they are charging for their drinks are crazy. I am really not much of a drinker, but do like a drink before dinner and on sea day's like to have one in the afternoon. I have made the choice to not purchase a drink package.

I am sorry that Royal seems to making bad choices with their changing prices and after final payment deems it ok to charge the difference. I find that wrong.

So I am going with a very opened mind, I plan to have a fabulous cruise with my family and friends but I know that I will be comparing this with Disney (human nature). The ship from pictures I have seen looks really nice.

I hope for all you Loyal to Royal cruisers that Royal listens to your concerns and starts to make some changes in your favor.

:)

On allure it looked as though the chefs table was set up on the second floor of the diamond club

It just stayed where it was originally built. Deck 12 Diamond Club (former Concierge Lounge). Unfortunately with starting to build in Wonderland into the Concierge Lounge on the Oasis they removed the Chef´s Table from deck12 and although they stopped their plans they never put it back again. So now we have the Diamond Club instead of the Concierge Lounge on decks 11 and 12 but no more Chef´s Table. First they said it will be held in Chops Grille but then they moved it up into the Suite Lounge. No good idea!

BTW I checked my Harmony reservation for August and it shows Wonderland for app. 50 USD (sorry, I have Euro prices and it was app. 48). Isn´t it 45 USD on Quantum Class ships? Funny thing is that also Coastal Kitchen showed up (although I´m not in a suite, JS or Pinnacle). Anyway couldn´t make a reservation. No other of the specialty restaurants showed up.

steamboats

Edited by steamboats

We were on the Caribbean Princess the week of December 6th. I missed a lot of things I've gotten accustomed to on RCI, but I thought the food was fantastic. We ate in both specialty restaurants for $25 each and they were excellent. I thought Crown Grill (their steakhouse) had a much better menu than Chops, especially for the price. Both Porterhouse and Maine Lobster are still on the menu and included in the cover charge.