New to River Cruising! Saying hello.

Compass Rose Monica

Greetings! I just wanted to post a quick message to say I booked my first river cruise and to say hello to everyone here! It's not till 2017, but I'm soooooo excited! My husband and I have been wanting to do this for a while and after friends of ours booked their first river cruise, we jumped in. We booked the April 2017 Danube Waltz cruise and have 2 days pre-cruise in Budapest.

I'm a huge travel planner, but it's great that these river cruises are all inclusive (okay for the most part) so I really don't need to spend a lot of time to plan our days in the ports.

I'll go through and read up on the ins/outs of river cruising. Any comments, suggestions is appreciated. We will be on the viking Legend. Any on-board information is also appreciated. I've done a little reading already and know a few things about onboard life.

Cheers!

Monica

Edited by Compass Rose Monica

Hi Monica:) I am taking my first River Cruise too~mine is in 4 months

though:D......I am going on "TULIP TIME" out of Amsterdam on AMA

Waterways:)........

The folks on this forum are very helpful:)

We'll be heading off on our 6th right after Easter. River cruising gets addictive!

We do research in those cities where we have a couple hours or more time on our own. Some places it's worth staying in town for a quick lunch on our own and have more "tourist" time.

You can probably get a sense of what cities to research by looking at the day-by-day itinerary for where they indicate free time, or similar wording.

Budapest is a beautiful city and the tourist areas are very walkable. We hired a private guide for a full day tour and walked miles and miles. We did the Viking pre-tour extension on the Grand European Tour, which we probably won't so again. I planned our entire time in Budapest and we did not use the Viking concierge at all. There were no included Viking tours during our pre-cruise. The hotel was fine.

The docking area is very close to the historic area. We left our bags at the hotel for a Viking transfer and walked down to the ship to drop off our bag with the valuables. The reception desk took our bag at about 10 am and promises to put a rush on getting our cabin ready. We said thanks but we are heading out for more sight-seeing.

We had a balcony cabin and we will book aquarium class the next time. We were rafted in almost every city and our balcony got very little use. The cabins themselves are very well designed.

Edited by cruzzzinma

Budapest is a beautiful city and the tourist areas are very walkable. We hired a private guide for a full day tour and walked miles and miles. We did the Viking pre-tour extension on the Grand European Tour, which we probably won't so again. I planned our entire time in Budapest and we did not use the Viking concierge at all. There were no included Viking tours during our pre-cruise. The hotel was fine.

The docking area is very close to the historic area. We left our bags at the hotel for a Viking transfer and walked down to the ship to drop off our bag with the valuables. The reception desk took our bag at about 10 am and promises to put a rush on getting our cabin ready. We said thanks but we are heading out for more sight-seeing.

We had a balcony cabin and we will book aquarium class the next time. We were rafted in almost every city and our balcony got very little use. The cabins themselves are very well designed.

We're doing our 1st river cruise from Budapest to Prague next summer. we are planning to add a day or 2 in Budapest to tour. How did you hire a private guide and would you recommend him ?

We're doing our 1st river cruise from Budapest to Prague next summer. we are planning to add a day or 2 in Budapest to tour. How did you hire a private guide and would you recommend him ?

I read about Andrea in Budapest on cruise critic (http://www.privateguidebudapest.com) but she was not available. She works with other English-speaking guides and offered to arrange the day with Aniko. We took her up on it! It was an amazing day. Yes, I would recommend her or anyone she arranges. You do not have to make a deposit, but she expects you to show up. Andrea also answered many questions via email about Budapest and tipping.

Aniko picked us up with a driver. She took us many places. We walked a million miles. The driver took us up to the top of Castle Hill (Praise the Lord) and we walked down.

One thing we didn't do and people on the cruise had a really great time, was a day at the spa. If I had to do it over, I would definitely do it. Viking offers it as an optional excursion.

Hi Monica, just returned last night from our first river cruise which we loved. my suggestion would be to pack light. Seriously, I over packed so much with stuff I never needed that by the time I was packing up to leave I needed to buy another suitcase for all my souvenirs that I purchased on my trip. Needless to say I was charged for that extra suitcase far exceeding what I actually bought, :D lol.

The staff on board are great and friendly. You'll be treated with some really spoiling treatment that's hard to give up.

As to your travel planes, make sure you avoid the aisle seat unless you enjoy getting constantly bumped into from the Stewards and fellow passengers. Also, don't fly into CDG, it's unpleasant but not as unpleasant as the Atlanta airport so be sure to especially make sure none of your connections involved them.

Additionally, don't be late for the meeting up point for the bus back to the ship after an excursion, otherwise be prepared to be met with some sour looks from your bus group because despite what they say, we do in fact wait for you. There was without fail always at least 1 couple late for the bus and waiting on a very hot bus for them caused a few of us to be very annoyed at them. Unless you don't mind being unpopular with your fellow passengers, don't be late!

Above all, Be prepared to not wanting to disembark once your cruise is over. I developed such a warm attachment to my fellow passengers on my trip that I didn't want to leave them. I met so many wonderful new friends on board it that we all hugged when we parted ways. We were like a family.

Hi Monica....welcome to CC and to river cruising....I've done 8 on Vantage, all listed in my signature below, so if I can answer any questions feel free to ask me or any of the rest of us. But be warned as CPT said....it's addicting!!!!:D

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I do plan to research the cities so that when we have our free time I can fill in those hours with sites that aren't on the daily tours.

Cruzzzinma, what di dyou pay for your full day tour in Budapest? Just want to get an idea of cost. Also, is the spa option in Budapest?

I had to laurgh at your “aquarium class.” I assume that means the lowest level cabins under water level with the small window.

ThreeTwelves, I already adjusted my regular cruise packing list to a very short packing list. In fact, I’ll probably pack like I used to when I did land-based trips and traveled with a 19”-20” suitcase (or Tony and I will share one 25” suitcase)! Basically three pairs of pants for the day and evenings, one pair black dressier pants; a few tops for the day and a couple for the evenings. Mix/match/repeat-wear; two pairs walking shoes, black flats for the evenings.

I have friends that live in Germany and they mentioned meeting up with us after the cruise. I told them we can meet them in Prague. We plan to extend our stay and go to Prague for 3 or 4 nights. We have the free airfare from Viking but my TA told me that for $100 per person fee, we can fly home on a different flight than the one they would set up if we were to book their post-cruise stay. My friends in Germany suggested a visit to Nuremberg before visiting Prague. I ordered a guidebook on Prague, so I’ll figure out if I want to add Nuremberg or not. Thoughts? Will I need 3-4 days in Prague?

It’s exciting to read that that river cruises are addicting. I’m addicted to cruises! I keep wanting to do a land-based trip but then I end up booking cruises. LOL!

Thanks for the tip on not being late to the bus. I organize private tours and always make sure my group is on time at the meeting point.

Will we have a choice for flights (airfare included in our cruise)? We will be flying out of Dulles. I’ve gone through CDG many times, so that won’t bother me.

I do have a question: I know there is complimentary wine and beer during lunch and dinner. Are you allowed to bring wine on board when in the ports and if so, is there a corkage fee? What about alcohol (vodka, rum, etc)? On our Celebrity cruises, we bring a couple of bottles to enjoy in our cabin.

Happy New Year!

Monica

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I have friends that live in Germany and they mentioned meeting up with us after the cruise. I told them we can meet them in Prague. We plan to extend our stay and go to Prague for 3 or 4 nights. We have the free airfare from Viking but my TA told me that for $100 per person fee, we can fly home on a different flight than the one they would set up if we were to book their post-cruise stay. My friends in Germany suggested a visit to Nuremberg before visiting Prague. I ordered a guidebook on Prague, so I’ll figure out if I want to add Nuremberg or not. Thoughts? Will I need 3-4 days in Prague?

I do have a question: I know there is complimentary wine and beer during lunch and dinner. Are you allowed to bring wine on board when in the ports and if so, is there a corkage fee? What about alcohol (vodka, rum, etc)? On our Celebrity cruises, we bring a couple of bottles to enjoy in our cabin.

Happy New Year!

Monica

Happy New Year to you too Monica...I think 3-4 days in Prague is perfect. It's a wonderful city with lots to fill your time!! A few must sees:

Old Town Square with its astronomical clock, restaurants and shops;

Prague Castle, which is not to be missed and can easily fill up a whole day;

The Jewish Quarter, which is also not to be missed and can fill up at least 1/2 day or more depending on your heritage and interest;

Boat tours of the city for day and dinner plus several interesting museums; and if you have time a side trip to Kutna Hora and the nearby Ossuary is an unforgettable experience.

As for bringing wine on board, I know Vantage allows it and I'm pretty certain everyone else does too but be prepared to pay a corking fee of 3E or more. Of course if that is your plan and your cabin has a fridge, you can always throw a corkscrew in your checked luggage. :) With regard to other alcoholic beverages, since I don't drink anything but wine, I really don't know for sure.

Edited by Hydrokitty

Would recommend an extra day in Budapest it is a lovely place to visit, and you will be shot the first day.

We booked a 6 hour walk with lunch included with Andras Urszan for 110 euro in October 2014, I gave him a 20 euro tip. Very worthwhile.

No problem bringing wine, beer, spirits on board. Always have a corkscrew in your checked luggage, and not your carry-on.

JC

As to your travel planes, make sure you avoid the aisle seat unless you enjoy getting constantly bumped into from the Stewards and fellow passengers. Also, don't fly into CDG, it's unpleasant but not as unpleasant as the Atlanta airport so be sure to especially make sure none of your connections involved them.

We on the other hand choose aisle seats quite often if we're travelling Economy, for the extra leg room and ease of getting up and down.

And we just went through CDG twice last this fall and thought it was just great, much improved from the past.

We on the other hand choose aisle seats quite often if we're travelling Economy, for the extra leg room and ease of getting up and down.

And we just went through CDG twice last this fall and thought it was just great, much improved from the past.

I've reached that point in life where I prefer aisle seats too.....just for the ease of getting up and down....ahh the golden years!!! :D

We will choose opposite aisles when traveling Economy but these days will only fly longer international flights (6 hours and up) in Premium. It is just too miserable in most coach cabins these days. And we still avoid CDG whenever possible.

We will choose opposite aisles when traveling Economy but these days will only fly longer international flights (6 hours and up) in Premium. It is just too miserable in most coach cabins these days. And we still avoid CDG whenever possible.

We're the same regarding Premium Economy--just can't do Coach any more across the pond. But really, CDG was very pleasant and well-organized.

Happy New Year to you too Monica...I think 3-4 days in Prague is perfect. It's a wonderful city with lots to fill your time!! A few must sees:

Old Town Square with its astronomical clock, restaurants and shops;

Prague Castle, which is not to be missed and can easily fill up a whole day;

The Jewish Quarter, which is also not to be missed and can fill up at least 1/2 day or more depending on your heritage and interest;

Boat tours of the city for day and dinner plus several interesting museums; and if you have time a side trip to Kutna Hora and the nearby Ossuary is an unforgettable experience.

As for bringing wine on board, I know Vantage allows it and I'm pretty certain everyone else does too but be prepared to pay a corking fee of 3E or more. Of course if that is your plan and your cabin has a fridge, you can always throw a corkscrew in your checked luggage. :) With regard to other alcoholic beverages, since I don't drink anything but wine, I really don't know for sure.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

A friend told me she brought wine on board and wasn't charged a corkage fee, so that's good to know. She said the staff even supplied glasses for the champagne they bought while in one of the ports.

Monica

Would recommend an extra day in Budapest it is a lovely place to visit, and you will be shot the first day.

We booked a 6 hour walk with lunch included with Andras Urszan for 110 euro in October 2014, I gave him a 20 euro tip. Very worthwhile.

No problem bringing wine, beer, spirits on board. Always have a corkscrew in your checked luggage, and not your carry-on.

JC

We will have 2 days pre-cruise in Budapest.

I always bring a corkscrew in my checked luggage. If we end up traveling with a carry-on each, then I can buy one once in Budapest.

Monica

Viking does not charge a corkage fee. We have purchased bottles of wine from some of the wineries that we visited through Viking and Viking brought the bottles back to the boat for us so we didn't have to carry them around.

If I remember correctly the boat had a cork opener in the room. One can easily be purchased in the local supermarket, too. Supermarkets are a great place to purchase wine and soft drinks, snacks, etc.

Have fun on your trip.

We're the same regarding Premium Economy--just can't do Coach any more across the pond. But really, CDG was very pleasant and well-organized.

Same here....and we have done the aisle/aisle on southwest so we can both get up without disturbing anyone. Like you.....anything that goes over an ocean we fly business class....just too uncomfortable, not to mention the separate line for security and the lounge. It really paid off on our last trip because we had a scheduled 3 hour lay-over and our flight was delayed an additional 3 hours so we spent 6 hours in the lounge, with free food, drink, comfortable chairs, clean bathrooms, showers and a quiet room. I won't pay for a suite on the ship or in a hotel but I'll pay for business class! :D

Haven't been through CDG in about 7 years...all I remember is walking forever from the arrival gate to the main terminal.

Edited by Hydrokitty

Viking does not charge a corkage fee. We have purchased bottles of wine from some of the wineries that we visited through Viking and Viking brought the bottles back to the boat for us so we didn't have to carry them around.

If I remember correctly the boat had a cork opener in the room. One can easily be purchased in the local supermarket, too. Supermarkets are a great place to purchase wine and soft drinks, snacks, etc.

Have fun on your trip.

We have never paid a corkage to consume in our room, on any line. Avalon charged a corkage in the dining room and lounges and AMA does in the lounges.

We have never paid a corkage to consume in our room, on any line. Avalon charged a corkage in the dining room and lounges and AMA does in the lounges.

Nor have we. We brought our wine to dinner, with no corkage fee, on our Viking trip and shared it with our table mates.

Nor have we. We brought our wine to dinner, with no corkage fee, on our Viking trip and shared it with our table mates.

Hmm....I'm going to have to ask Vantage why they charge a corkage fee when others do not. The one time it really annoyed me was when we stopped at a Vantage approved winery outside Bratislava (pre-trip) and all of us bought wine to drink on board and then were charged corkage fees!

Hmm....I'm going to have to ask Vantage why they charge a corkage fee when others do not. The one time it really annoyed me was when we stopped at a Vantage approved winery outside Bratislava (pre-trip) and all of us bought wine to drink on board and then were charged corkage fees!

The same thing happened on our last Grand Circle trip. They took us to a winery and then wanted 10€ corkage fee to bring the bottle to dinner. Makes no sense to me.