Always Available Items with new Curtis Stone Dishes

IECalCruiser

Comments about Curtis Stone as a personality don't depend on eating his MDR food. It's possible to see the guy on TV and decide he's not all that. It is also not unreasonable to object to something someone likes (the salmon) being removed from the menu. I don't think anyone has said "I have never tasted his endive foam, but I really hate it." I think what people say is more like "I don't like endive foam and I don't think I'll like it any better if Curtis Stone does the foaming." Of course, I have absolutely no idea what endive foam is, but apparently it's a hot item on a Stone menu. :p

https://www.google.com/search?q=endive+foam&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

:cool:

Correct' date=' the flank steak and pork tenderloin were available every night. I'm guessing the mahi mahi was too, but I honestly don't remember it. The pork tenderloin was OK, nothing great. I always associate flank steak as a "lesser" cut and didn't try it. I know one of our table mates got it, but don't know what they thought of it.[/quote']

You are correct. The flank steak was tough! Didn't try the pork or the mahi mahi. How can that be classified as special? Nothing I would recommend.

Is the fettuccini Alfredo in the Parmesan cheese basket still always available?

Last 2 cruises I was on the fettuccine tasted like they opened a jar of ragu Alfredo sauce! First cruise I thought it was just the chef on this ship. The second time I tried it twice and still tasted like bottled sauce. Sounds silly I know, but I look forward to it all year! Unless they have fixed the issue I will have to forego the fettuccine. Sad :(

Last 2 cruises I was on the fettuccine tasted like they opened a jar of ragu Alfredo sauce! First cruise I thought it was just the chef on this ship. The second time I tried it twice and still tasted like bottled sauce. Sounds silly I know, but I look forward to it all year! Unless they have fixed the issue I will have to forego the fettuccine. Sad :(

I had the fettuccine appetizer on 3 different nights. I thought I was crazy, but it was different on each night. The first night was excellent; comparable to a good restaurant near home. The second night it was runny and frankly tasted "instant." The third night was an improvement, but not as good as the first night. I have no explanation of the differences.

I will miss the salmon, too. A nice piece of grilled salmon over the fettuccine alfredo was a favorite of mine.

I suspect the salmon will be available even if it's not on the menu every night. I'll bet that if you ask for salmon on your fettuccine, especially if you ask ahead of time, you'll be able to get it.

I had never heard of him before this Princess roll out.

Me neither but recently on my TV's channel guide I saw his name on HSN selling his cookware.

My wife will be disappointed with the salmon being unavailable nightly; I prefer mahi mahi...it's impossible to keep everyone happy.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Me neither but recently on my TV's channel guide I saw his name on HSN selling his cookware.

He had a show called Take Home Chef. He would go to the store and pick out some good looking married girl and find out when her husband was coming home and they would head to her house to make dinner for the husband. Sprung it in the husband as soon as he walked in the door. :eek:

I am surprised he never got shot.

I had the fettuccine appetizer on 3 different nights. I thought I was crazy' date=' but it was different on each night. The first night was excellent; comparable to a good restaurant near home. The second night it was runny and frankly tasted "instant." The third night was an improvement, but not as good as the first night. I have no explanation of the differences.[/quote']

You weren't mistaken. It's changed from what it used to be and not for the better. :( I've all but given up on it but occasionally order it as an appetizer to see if the original receipt has returned.

The Curtis Stone meals won't be around for long IMO. No one I've talked to liked them & would never order another.

My wife and I both had the Fettuccine on the Star Princess last month and were very disappointed that it wasn't the same as it has been on our previous cruises.

On removing the salmon - I hope that decision is reversed soon. That and the beef medallions are two of my "go to" meals in the MDR. I'll miss them both.

We were on the last Royal 10 nt cruise. Only ate in the MDR one day for lunch because the nightly menus did nothing for us. It seemed like either they didn't change the posted menu each day or they offer the same items several days in a row...not sure of which.

Salmon was on the evening buffet most night. There was also "fish" it was never labeled as to what type just "fish"! I want to know what I am eating before I put it in my mouth...don't like to eat farm-raised fish!

To hubby and I the menus and food were all lacking. Crown Grill was excellent to a point...hubby's baked potato was just lukewarm, the delicious corn dish was not on the menu. We loved Alfredo's; great minestrone and pizza. Fondues was also excellent and the best service when we ate there. The rest of the buffet food was merely ok.

The service at the grill was pathetic; many nights the guy doing the cooking would go in the back room and stay there for 10 minutes at a time as the long grew longer. He would do this more than once each time we were up on deck.

We had to beg for drink service in the buffet. The servers stood around talking and acted like they had nothing else to do.

Perhaps, I had higher expectations for sailing on the Royal. We didn't starve by any means.

WThere was also "fish" it was never labeled as to what type just "fish"! I want to know what I am eating before I put it in my mouth...don't like to eat farm-raised fish!
The salmon served in the dining room is farmed. It was always tasty when I had it for embarkation day lunch. The only time I've seen wild salmon on a Princess cruise was in Alaska.

I think the negative comments about Curtis Stone are very unfair, especially coming from those who have not yet tried the food. If you've tried it and didn't like it, that's another matter entirely. But to dismiss something new because you don't think you will like it is premature at best.

Many who have tried his food in the MDR don't like it. See page 2 of this thread.

Also, I agree with the thought that if you have seen C Stone on TV, that is enough.

I liked the always available salmon and also the shrimp cocktail. It is terrible that those have been dropped.

Just back from the Caribbean Princess. The shrimp cocktail with traditional red cocktail sauce has been replaced (at least on Caribbean sailings) with Caribbean Shrimp Cocktail ("diced pineapple, jicama and orange salsa with cilantro") I tried it once and would not order it again. I had the Curtis Stone mahi-mahi. It was fair but I didn't like the cauliflower accompaniment. I had the Grilled Flank Steak and the meat was tough and had no flavor, likewise the black beans and rice. I really miss the spice-rubbed tri-tip with the chimmichuri sauce from the former always available menu. Also miss the specialty hamburgers. Last year had a mushroom and blue cheese burger that was divine and I'm not really into burgers. Overall I was disappointed with the new menus, especially the Curtis Stone options. I filled in my post-cruise survey accordingly.

jackie

My wife tried his flank steak dish last week on Regal. Is was white rice with black beans topped by three slices of flank steak. The steak was chewy(tough) and dry. If this is an example of his restaurant fare(share $39) good luck😟

Guess I was a little lucky. My steak was tender enough but the sauce covered half of it & that's what turned me off. I'd never order any of the Curtis Stone selection again... I'd rather go to the buffet if there's nothing interesting on the DR menu.