Always Available Items with new Curtis Stone Dishes

IECalCruiser

I am just so amazed that so many are stuck on certain menu items. I like to try different things, different venues her at home and on the ship. the best thing is that if u don't like it they will bring you some thing different. Every cruise I been on its been that way, I don't think this will change.

I like pasta and salmon, but its not a deal breaker, nor worthy of complaining about.

Well, I guess some people just don't meet your strict standards. :rolleyes: I like salmon, so sue me. :p

They had eggplant parmigiana recently on the Royal as an appetizer & I ordered 2 of them as a main course.

The buffet also had it.

They eggplant parmigiana is the best. I only get it with Princess. They should never have taken this away - glad to hear it is back. Some of the staples that people love......

They eggplant parmigiana is the best. I only get it with Princess. They should never have taken this away - glad to hear it is back. Some of the staples that people love......

They don't call it eggplant parmigiana now & I can't remember the new name Princess calls it...but it's still a great appetizer item. :D

Several years ago there was a worldwide shortage of escargot snails resulting in escargot not always available on a cruise. Do you think the lack of French Onion soup being available could be from a worldwide shortage of "French onions"??? :p

Edited by Astro Flyer

They don't call it eggplant parmigiana now & I can't remember the new name Princess calls it...but it's still a great appetizer item. :D
I checked with my menu photos. It is now called Melanzane alla Parmigiana "grilled eggplant topped with tomato sauce,mozzarella cheese and basil leaves". It's one of my favorites as well.

Several years ago there was a worldwide shortage of escargot snails resulting in escargot not always available on a cruise. Do you think the lack of French Onion soup being available could be from a worldwide shortage of "French onions"??? :p

Yes that must be it! Princess wouldn't do away with a popular soup unless they couldn't get onions??? :)

Honestly, that soup can not be that expensive to fix. I can somewhat understand escargot but eggplant parmaigiana and french onion soup???

Edited by Coral

The Curtis Stone items are available every night & replaced the always available items. I'm wondering how long this change will last seeing the popularity of the old items.

So the only beef option for an evening might be the Curtis Stone flank steak with the weird beans and green sauce? Let's hope they counter that with some more beef dishes on the other side of the menu. I am going to have some unhappy diners on my hands when we do the big family cruise in January. :( (I guess this could be seen as a ploy to drive diners into the Crown Grill.)

If Princess wants to include Curtis Stone items in the DR's then why not include one Curtis Stone dish as an option each night and keep the always available items. At least the medallions, the hamburger, the chicken and I believe the salmon varied the sauces from day to day.

So many people have posted that the medallions or the salmon or even the tri-tip is a go to dining option for them. Didn't Princess learn anything when they removed the medallions from the anytime option 🤔

I checked with my menu photos. It is now called Melanzane alla Parmigiana "grilled eggplant topped with tomato sauce,mozzarella cheese and basil leaves". It's one of my favorites as well.

Melanzane is the Italian word for eggplants and alla Parmigiana means in the style of Parma although the dish itself is from southern Italy. I don't know if they changed the recipe (I never had the previous version) but maybe they just wanted to make the name sound more exotic.

Well I hope Princess gets lots of complaints about NO SALMON!. I will really miss it. I will be putting that on my after cruise survey for sure. They have already taken it off most of the Embarkation day lunch menus, unless you got lucky and your ship did not have the newer abbreviated menu :(

Am I the only one not excited about Curtis Stone, what is it about him?

I dont get it either.

It seems to me that many cruises lines lately are making various changes on their ships in many different ways, which appear to make many cruisers especially regulars, cautious and unhappy. I am at a loss that Princess would replace favourite dishes with new untried ones all at the same time, and perhaps they are intentionally testing the market at our expense however, if it turns out that the concept proves to be unpopular by majority then they may need to re think again.

I am always prepared to try new cuisine but if i do like it when it arrives in front of me, I will then send it back to the galley pronto for something else. If I was a chef, that would be a slap in the face for me.:(

It's one thing for the Curtis Stone restaurant to be on the ship. (Which I would never go to.) But, why does his stuff have to be on the regular menu, replacing things that we love?

Because a lot of people also complain about the menus never changing.

I've read lots and lots of posts from people who have said they have the Princess menus memorized and are looking for something new.

(Spoken by someone who LOVES the salmon and was never bored. I tend to like it when I know what's coming but did notice that others didn't. ) :)

I had the fettuccine appetizer on 3 different nights. I thought I was crazy' date=' but it was different on each night. The first night was excellent; comparable to a good restaurant near home. The second night it was runny and frankly tasted "instant." The third night was an improvement, but not as good as the first night. I have no explanation of the differences.[/quote']

Firstly,the Curtis Stone idea is one of Princess greatest failures. They should have saved their money on this promotion. Salmon was a staple, now basically gone. Had it when we boarded on dec.6th in the main dining room, but was turned down by the MDR captain when asking for it at dinner. After the kitchen tour, we came face to face with the head Maitre D and the ships chief chef hawking their cook book. Many told the Maitre D their complaint regarding Curtis Stone new menu and taking away the "good ol" salmon and others..Maitre D defended the Curtis Stone move, but looking at the Chief Chef face, he had rool eyes and silently agreed. There are many changes coming to Princess and not for the good..Entertainment has fallen, food service, Alfredos, and the fettuccine in the MDR, going from great to worse.

Sorry Princes, you have to get your act together or their are many other options.

Because a lot of people also complain about the menus never changing.

I've read lots and lots of posts from people who have said they have the Princess menus memorized and are looking for something new.

(Spoken by someone who LOVES the salmon and was never bored. I tend to like it when I know what's coming but did notice that others didn't. ) :)

You can change a menu or you can change it and decrease the quality of the items on the menu. Princess is decreasing the quality of the items on the menu.

When did Princess decide that they were going to remove a favorite item and put meatloaf on the menu. I am sure there were a ton of people who go on cruises wanting meatloaf over prime rib on the last night (like they used to serve).

It seems a lot of the items they have removed are the most popular items - French onion soup, Eggplant Parmigiana are examples. They should be removing the least popular items.

Their always available used to include: salmon filet, chicken breast, beef filet tournedos and a grilled NY Sirloin steak. Look how far it has declined now.....

Edited by Coral

Melanzane is the Italian word for eggplants and alla Parmigiana means in the style of Parma although the dish itself is from southern Italy. I don't know if they changed the recipe (I never had the previous version) but maybe they just wanted to make the name sound more exotic.

What a great idea mixing seasickness medication with an eggplant entree. ;)

So the only beef option for an evening might be the Curtis Stone flank steak with the weird beans and green sauce? Let's hope they counter that with some more beef dishes on the other side of the menu. I am going to have some unhappy diners on my hands when we do the big family cruise in January. :( (I guess this could be seen as a ploy to drive diners into the Crown Grill.)

The spice rubbed tri tip was still on the everyday menu.

But it seems the always available isn't the same on all ships anymore, and indeed the Curtis Stone in the MDR, appears to not be the same across the line.

Their always available used to include: salmon filet, chicken breast, beef filet tournedos and a grilled NY Sirloin steak. Look how far it has declined now.....

Can't understand losing the Salmon, as I imagined most ships around the world would serve it in one way or another. Surely it will still available as a one nighter on menu.:confused:

What a great idea mixing seasickness medication with an eggplant entree. ;)

Had to think about it a bit. I believe that you may be thinking of meclizine.

re: "Melanzane is the Italian word for eggplants......."

:confused:;)