Always Available Items with new Curtis Stone Dishes

IECalCruiser

I'll have some unhappy campers if several of these things are not on the menu. My grandson orders the medallions almost every night (without sauce.) He will not want to substitute a flank steak with weird beans. DH loves the salmon. He has it at least once on every cruise. My SIL LOVES (in all caps) the tri-tip. I won't mind of it goes, but he will be sorely disappointed. What does that leave? The chicken breast? It's good, but no one in my family orders it with as much enthusiasm as they do the other things. Losing traditional shrimp cocktail would be downright criminal, and one DD (and me, too) would be livid. I don't object to Princess trying something new, but it does sound as if they are doing too much of it.

I hope those who have cruised recently and experienced the new dishes and were unhappy, and who were unhappy that the always available items were no longer offered will make their feelings knows to Princess either on the post cruise survey or website.

After we sail in Janaury, if this is the case on the Coral I will definitely follow up.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I hope those who have cruised recently and experienced the new dishes and were unhappy, and who were unhappy that the always available items were no longer offered will make their feelings knows to Princess either on the post cruise survey or website.

After we sail in Janaury, if this is the case on the Coral I will definitely follow up.

I did Sunday evening when I filled out the Princess survey!

We were on the last Royal 10 nt cruise. Only ate in the MDR one day for lunch because the nightly menus did nothing for us. It seemed like either they didn't change the posted menu each day or they offer the same items several days in a row...not sure of which.

Salmon was on the evening buffet most night. There was also "fish" it was never labeled as to what type just "fish"! I want to know what I am eating before I put it in my mouth...don't like to eat farm-raised fish!

To hubby and I the menus and food were all lacking. Crown Grill was excellent to a point...hubby's baked potato was just lukewarm, the delicious corn dish was not on the menu. We loved Alfredo's; great minestrone and pizza. Fondues was also excellent and the best service when we ate there. The rest of the buffet food was merely ok.

The service at the grill was pathetic; many nights the guy doing the cooking would go in the back room and stay there for 10 minutes at a time as the long grew longer. He would do this more than once each time we were up on deck.

We had to beg for drink service in the buffet. The servers stood around talking and acted like they had nothing else to do.

Perhaps, I had higher expectations for sailing on the Royal. We didn't starve by any means.

I would have been very disappointed!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Just back from the Caribbean Princess. The shrimp cocktail with traditional red cocktail sauce has been replaced (at least on Caribbean sailings) with Caribbean Shrimp Cocktail ("diced pineapple, jicama and orange salsa with cilantro") I tried it once and would not order it again. I had the Curtis Stone mahi-mahi. It was fair but I didn't like the cauliflower accompaniment. I had the Grilled Flank Steak and the meat was tough and had no flavor, likewise the black beans and rice. I really miss the spice-rubbed tri-tip with the chimmichuri sauce from the former always available menu. Also miss the specialty hamburgers. Last year had a mushroom and blue cheese burger that was divine and I'm not really into burgers. Overall I was disappointed with the new menus, especially the Curtis Stone options. I filled in my post-cruise survey accordingly.

jackie

That version of the shrimp cocktail was offered on the Regal in the Caribbean in January. (Or something very similar). I don't think it's Curtis Stone specific.

Wonder what they paid to use his name....cuz his food isn't good!

His restaurant in NYC is quite popular.

I have used some of his recipes and I think they are fine. He did a stint with a regional grocery store chain 5 years ago or so, mostly summer BBQ recipes and I thought his recipes they gave out from that were fine.

I am not sold on his concept on Princess as his menu doesn't appeal to me but I am impressed with some other things I have seen from him.

That version of the shrimp cocktail was offered on the Regal in the Caribbean in January. (Or something very similar). I don't think it's Curtis Stone specific.

I agree - I have seen something similar for years on Princess. My Mom used to order it periodically.

His restaurant in NYC is quite popular.

I have used some of his recipes and I think they are fine. He did a stint with a regional grocery store chain 5 years ago or so, mostly summer BBQ recipes and I thought his recipes they gave out from that were fine.

I am not sold on his concept on Princess as his menu doesn't appeal to me but I am impressed with some other things I have seen from him.

You should try 1 or 2 of his meals. Just to say you did. You might like them and it doesn't cost you anything. :)

You should try 1 or 2 of his meals. Just to say you did. You might like them and it doesn't cost you anything. :)

I agree - sorry I wasn't clear. I meant to say that I probably will not try SHARE.

I would try his items on the regular menu.

Edited by Coral

On our 12/6 Regal cruise, my wife tried the new shrimp cocktail and didn't care for it. She made mention to our waiter about liking the old shrimp cocktail with the red sauce. He said he'll get one for her and it appeared every night there after. Just ask.

I too had the flank steak. Mine was fine, flank will never be super tender, but it was good and not dry. The green sauce was just OK.

And another thing, we attended the Crab Shack and enjoyed it, but I was surprised when a couple nearby asked for more crab and got another bowl full. I was under the impression it was one serving only. I going to try that trick next time.

On our 12/6 Regal cruise, my wife tried the new shrimp cocktail and didn't care for it. She made mention to our waiter about liking the old shrimp cocktail with the red sauce. He said he'll get one for her and it appeared every night there after. Just ask.

I too had the flank steak. Mine was fine, flank will never be super tender, but it was good and not dry. The green sauce was just OK.

And another thing, we attended the Crab Shack and enjoyed it, but I was surprised when a couple nearby asked for more crab and got another bowl full. I was under the impression it was one serving only. I going to try that trick next time.

We were on the same cruise. I asked about getting seconds in the Crab Shack and was told NO! Only 1 main entrée. The bowl they show in the buffet where they push the Crab Shack is a bowl for two and is very minimal in what it contains. So, we decided to leave it as we go to the Crown Grill which has a much better atmosphere and selection of food. The Crab Shack is just an area separated in the buffet. Just like the old Sterling Steak House.

I just completed my post-cruise survey yesterday and was quite specific as to which new dishes I tried and didn't like and which ones I hope they would bring back. I hope others do too.

At the end of the survey they ask if you would like to be contacted by Princess. I said yes. Does anyone know if they actually contact people based on comments from the survey?

My husband and I used to order salmon for dinner almost every night. I called Princess and the rep said she didn't know that it wasn't on the "always available" any more. She checked with someone and they said to talk to the maitre d' when we board. They said the kitchen always has salmon and steamed veggies. I hope she is right!

Is the fettuccini Alfredo in the Parmesan cheese basket still always available?

Not always, but most nights it was there. However, the tri tip, beef medallions, salmon, and hamburger dishes have all been taken off the "always available" menu. You can still get shrimp cocktail (two variations), caesar salad, and chicken, as well as 3 Curtis Stone dishes. We only tried one of those, the pork tenderloin. It was just OK; definitely not something I'd order more than once per cruise. Also, in general, our MDR food was nothing to write home about. (We just got off the Royal a few days ago.) That's the first time we've been disappointed in Princess' MDR meals.

I think the negative comments about Curtis Stone are very unfair, especially coming from those who have not yet tried the food. If you've tried it and didn't like it, that's another matter entirely. But to dismiss something new because you don't think you will like it is premature at best.

excellent point, I am looking forward to something new, sounds like it has great potential. Many don't like change.

I forgot to mention that I've always been able to get French onion soup one or two evenings per cruise, but this time when I inquired the waiter looked uncomfortable and said he'd have to get a supervisor to answer. She came over and explained that French onion soup was ONLY available in Crown Grille, and could not be served in the MDRs. Since FOS isn't terribly hard to make, and I'm sure the ships have plenty of onions, cheese, and croutons onboard, this seemed particularly stingy.

I am just so amazed that so many are stuck on certain menu items. I like to try different things, different venues her at home and on the ship. the best thing is that if u don't like it they will bring you some thing different. Every cruise I been on its been that way, I don't think this will change.

I like pasta and salmon, but its not a deal breaker, nor worthy of complaining about.

I forgot to mention that I've always been able to get French onion soup one or two evenings per cruise, but this time when I inquired the waiter looked uncomfortable and said he'd have to get a supervisor to answer. She came over and explained that French onion soup was ONLY available in Crown Grille, and could not be served in the MDRs. Since FOS isn't terribly hard to make, and I'm sure the ships have plenty of onions, cheese, and croutons onboard, this seemed particularly stingy.

Several years ago Princess eliminated their great eggplant parmigiana because it was too time consuming to make. Our table of 10 requested it & had it later in the cruise and other passengers must have been equally as disappointed because months later it returned to the regular menu with a slightly different name.

Maybe if enough passengers express their opinions about eliminating the French Onion soup it will return to the menu like eggplant parmigiana.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Several years ago Princess eliminated their great eggplant parmigiana because it was too time consuming to make. Our table of 10 requested it & had it later in the cruise and other passengers must have been equally as disappointed because months later it returned to the regular menu with a slightly different name.

Maybe if enough passengers express their opinions about eliminating the French Onion soup it will return to the menu like eggplant parmigiana.

They had eggplant parmigiana recently on the Royal as an appetizer & I ordered 2 of them as a main course.

The buffet also had it.

They had eggplant parmigiana recently on the Royal as an appetizer & I ordered 2 of them as a main course.

The buffet also had it.

Yes...it's great that Princess responded to passengers' desire to return it to the menu. :D

Edited by Astro Flyer