Western on Allure in JS or Eastern on Freedom in GS?

LisaLisa87

Hi all. I'm having a tough time deciding between these two options. I'll be traveling with DH and DD, who will be almost 14 on sail date (April 2017). We've only cruised with DCL as a family, although we'll be sailing on Brilliance in the Med this coming June. We're definitely ready for something different, but I want to make the right choice. There are some clear pros to both:

FREEDOM

-8 nights vs. 7 on Allure

-We know we like this size ship (similar to DCL Dream and Fantasy)

-We can stay in a GS for about the same price as a JS on Allure.

-We've been to St. Maarten (3x) and San Juan (1x), but never to St. Kitts or Labadee.

ALLURE

-Bigger, newer ship

-More onboard activities

-Better shows

-More restaurants

-All 3 ports would be new to us (Cozumel, Falmouth, Labadee)

Is there a noticeable difference in the quality of the food between the two ships? In the service? In the condition of the ships? We'll be getting off the ship at every port, but the onboard experience is still very important to us. What else am I missing?

Any input is welcome!

Not talking from personal experience (yet) but for me, the ship is the destination and I'd choose Allure over Freedom. The shows look amazing, the neighborhood s are different (eg. central Park) and lots of activities (but both have flowrider I think). And bonus if you haven't been to any ports. It's a personal opinion, but the stateroom difference wouldn't be a big deal to me. Of course, you would like a day with 7 days. Either way though you can't go wrong.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Perks in a GS is great on Freedom and is 8 days. Limited to specialty dinning.

Ice show on both Allure and Freedom are awesome. We know many of the ice cast on all the shows.

Allure, well is a WOW experience. JS is just an bigger regular balcony cabin, which you will not get the same perks like a GS on the Freedom.

Freedom GS concierge will likely be Bertie or Raul, which are both fantastic for access to those lounges.

We have been to all the ports you list. All great walk off experiences in the port.

Good luck with your choice. As for the DD at 14, Allure would like be the "fun" place to cruise and vacation.

HAPPY time making your choice!:)

Thank you for the replies! It's looking like a tie at this point. I love the idea of being in a GS and having those perks, but the Wow factor of the Allure is very tempting!

There is definitely a WOW factor to the Oasis class. However, we found that it faded quickly, and we missed a lot from the Freedom class.

We missed:

The feeling and sights of sailing on the ocean. On the Oasis class, it kind of felt like you step foot onto an impressive hotel and show up at ports throughout the week. It was difficult to find ready access to good views of the ocean.

A nice fitness center. The Oasis class felt like an afterthought. No good views of the seas while running (versus outstanding views on the Freedom). Also, the fitness center smelled of cigarette smoke our entire cruise on Oasis class.

The ability to "get away". On Oasis class, even late at night (we're in our early 40's and like to party, dance, and relax late into the night) we couldn't get away from crowds when we wanted to. It seemed like everywhere you went there were lots of people even late at night. This was especially evident in the promenade. On Freedom class, it quiets down late. On Oasis, there were many young kids (10 and under) and families after midnight running around the promenade.

On Oasis class, it felt more like "go, go, go" to try and do and see all that the ship had to offer. Not as relaxing. The Freedom class already has more than enough for an 8 night cruise.

Bartenders felt more disconnected on the Oasis class, but where "o.k".

Food was equivalent between the two.

Edited to add... Our kids were DD13, DD10, and DS7 on our cruise this past Dec 2014, and they all loved what the Independence (sister ship to the Freedom) had to offer. They loved the kids areas. The Freedom class has the Dream works characters as well, so if your 14 year old may like that, it's another plus.

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher

Our first cruise was on Allure, all the others on Freedom - and I would go with Freedom. We spent 7 nights on Allure, and not ONCE did I feel I knew where I was or was going. After 2 days on Freedom - I had the lay of the land.

Also - the Allure holds 6000+ passengers, plus crew. And there are going to be times that you FEEL like you're on a ship with 6000+ passengers.

The Freedom holds about 1/3 less people - but we NEVER felt like we were surrounded by that many people. It's still a big ship and one of the most popular - for a reason.

You'll get a lot of different opinions here. Ultimately, you'll be on a cruise either way - so I hope you'll have a great time.

A tough question. We enjoy both- but the Allure is spectacular. The grand suites are also a real treat. You get access to the concierge lounge and access to the Costal Kitchen. I read another poster who said that effective May, 2016 JS will have access to the Costal Kitchen also.

I would probably decide on the Freedom Class and enjoy the concierge lounge and the extra day at sea- Someday you should try the Oasis Class also Labadee is also one of our favorite ports. I wouldn't recomend the Quantum class ships.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful vacation!

Edited by Cruise a holic

I vote for any ship with a grand suite or above. The perks are so much better than a js.

totally agree, love the concierge lounge, reserve seating for shows, breakfast and lunch in chops, also much larger suite. Also 8 vs 7 days, I have not taken the newer ships, because I prefer doing slightly older ships in GS

Just wanted to say that I appreciate everyone's replies. I booked Allure in October, but I'm not leaning toward Freedom and will most likely make the switch.

You might want to check that last sentence. It seems to contradict itself

You might want to check that last sentence. It seems to contradict itself

I bet she meant "now" leaning towards Freedom.

My vote is for Allure, having been 4x on Oasis Class on twice on Freedom. Much higher WOW factor and deck 5 aft for wake views... Sigh. And the Aqua Theatre is amazing!