Anyone use UBER to get to Manhattan cruise terminal?

JAMESCC

Hey was just wondering if anyone has used UBER to get to the NCL cruise terminal in Manhattan and how was the experience? How does it work with children, car seat and everything? We will be sailing with out 3 year old in October and were thinking about going this route. Thanks for any info or advice?

We always just hail a cab to get there -- Uber would be just as easy. Is the car seat necessary? Law in NYC is that if the baby is strapped to you it's fine....and no one really uses car seats for a cab ride...though we have installed it into car service cars for airport runs.

The trip to the pier is easy -- it's the pick up that's a nightmare.

I did a lot of research regarding carseats. I knew it wasn't law in NYC but there is no way I'd take my child in a vehicle without one.

In the end, we ended up bringing our own seat and used in in cabs and car service (Carmel) vehicles without issue.

However, one thing I did find is that in some cities, including NYC, you can request an UBER vehicle with a carseat. In NYC, it is only available for UberX. You request a carseat via the app and I think the additional fee is $10. We ended up bringing our own, since we needed a larger vehicle and UberX wouldn't have fit us all and our luggage - but that is one option to think about if it works for you. I believe these are forward facing seats, so if your child still needs an infant seat it wouldn't work (but since yours is 3, it should be fine).

It would have been easier for us than bringing our seat through the airport, etc. if that option worked for us, but we had to bring the seat since a child isn't safe on your lap and we weren't willing to take a risk despite the NYC law.

Edited by Canagirl

I am a frequent UBER patron in NYC. And while I also use medallioned yellow cabs via a hail, I find UBER to be far superior.

In fact, I recently booked a UBER car from east midtown to meet someone coming off Breakaway at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal located at West 49th Street and 12th Avenue.

The service was superb. Clean car, friendly/knowledgeable driver and all paid for seamlessly online.

We always just hail a cab to get there -- Uber would be just as easy. Is the car seat necessary? Law in NYC is that if the baby is strapped to you it's fine....and no one really uses car seats for a cab ride...though we have installed it into car service cars for airport runs.

The trip to the pier is easy -- it's the pick up that's a nightmare.

Wow, there are still places where car seats are not required by law:eek:

That's crazy!

We put ours in the closet.

I meant when using cabs to travel from place to place in cities - museums, restaurants, shopping, shows, zoos... This might surprise you:

hicles exempt from Ontario's child car seat requirements?

Yes. The following drivers are exempt:

The driver of a taxicab, bus or public vehicle, while transporting a passenger for hire.

The driver of a motor vehicle that is registered in another jurisdiction and is in Ontario for 30 days or less is exempt from using booster seats until July 1, 2014.

The driver of an ambulance as defined in section 61 of the Highway Traffic Act.

Drivers of vehicles equipped with lap belts only are exempt from using booster seats.

I meant when using cabs to travel from place to place in cities - museums, restaurants, shopping, shows, zoos... This might surprise you:

hicles exempt from Ontario's child car seat requirements?

Yes. The following drivers are exempt:

The driver of a taxicab, bus or public vehicle, while transporting a passenger for hire.

The driver of a motor vehicle that is registered in another jurisdiction and is in Ontario for 30 days or less is exempt from using booster seats until July 1, 2014.

The driver of an ambulance as defined in section 61 of the Highway Traffic Act.

Drivers of vehicles equipped with lap belts only are exempt from using booster seats.

I'm not surprised by the exemptions. I know there are a number of cities that don't require them outside of personal vehicles. However, I know I personally would never take the risk. That is just my choice. Others can make the decision for themselves. It wasn't easy bringing our seat, but I'd do it again if necessary.

Fortunately for us, it was only an issue on the trip since we drive. I agree finding storage would be an issue if you were travelling to multiple locations. There are other options, such as the Ride Safer Travel Vest, if one feels carrying or finding storage for their usual seat isn't going to be possible.

I'm pretty sure most major US cities don't require them in taxis. What are you supposed to do with them when you reach your destination?

Maybe I'm wrong but in the previous post it didn't sound like this was just a taxi exemption.

Thank you for the replies, I should have provided more info. We are coming from central NJ, we don't live in Manhattan or the city. I wouldn't travel without a car seat either though. Thanks again for the replies.

I would never use Uber for a trip originating in NJ because of the lack of regulation of the service in the state.There's no way to know whether the driver is properly licensed and insured. Without proper licensing and insurance you could be left high and dry without coverage for an injury you might sustain if you are unlucky enough to be injured in an accident while in an Uber vehicle.

Uber is fine in NY City, where regulations are in place requiring a proper license and insurance.

From home to NCL cruise terminal Manhattan.

I've estimated the cost for us once and it was about the same as a car service so I prefer the car service since I know they'll be there and I'm not sure if an Uber driver would be available when I want to go

In this case I would book a car service. Many NJ uber drivers will not be happy with a drive of that distance (remember, they don't get paid for the drive back unless they can find rides going in the right direction and they don't know destination when they get the call).

For something like this, a car service is the way to go, its what we use from South Jersey if we don't take the train. Price will be comparable, less even if surge pricing hits. Plus the car seat is a non issue, you can either bring one or they can provide. If you book RT usually a discount.

From home to NCL cruise terminal Manhattan.

I used uber last week. My driver would not listen to me, too the way uber sent him (from queens - through the Bronx on the deegan to the west side) instead of the midtown tunnel. And once at pier could not follow the port personnel's directions. I would never uber again to the pier - would do a dial 7 or Carmel.

Edited by queenschick9b

Thank you for the replies, I should have provided more info. We are coming from central NJ, we don't live in Manhattan or the city. I wouldn't travel without a car seat either though. Thanks again for the replies.

If you are coming from central NJ, have you considered taking NJ Transit up into penn station? You can take a quick cab from there to the port pretty easily and quickly.

I'd compare prices but Uber isn't going to be cheap. I'd check it against a van service like State Shuttle.

Most economical will be get a ride to the nearest NJ Transit station via friend or Uber & then take a yellow cab once in NYC.