Royal Princess Fruit Bowls

arctickitty

A few years ago on a 7 day Princess Cruise I was eager to take advantage of every amenity. Shortly after boarding I filled out the card to have a fruit bowl delivered. However, the fruit was rock hard and only ripened shortly before the end of the cruise. My other half was "I-told-you-so" because we had a hard time eating the fruit all at once at the end of the cruise.

We are booked on a 2 week TransAtlantic on the Royal Princess in April. So this time we will have more time to eat our fruit bowl. We also know to go easy on the ordering.

But to settle our score...

does anyone know what happens to leftover fruit from the in-room fruit bowls? If fruit is left after passengers disembark, is it thrown away? Put back into circulation?

(We plan to eat whatever we order...we are just curious as to what happens to it).

And...for the record, part of the reason I'm looking forward to the fruit bowl is that we live in a remote area with extremely limited access to fresh fruit. Our local grocery store currently has potatoes. Last week they had onions. That's it. So a fruit bowl to me is a beautiful thing I can't have at home...we can look at it and its pretty. We can eat from it and its yummy. I can even pick up the fruit and just hold it. And put it back. And that's ok because it's not the buffet.

~Carrie/ArcticKitty

Oh my, you do live in a remote area. I have been on a land trip to AK three times and twice by ship. However the most remote places we visited was on the ship. Nothing compared to where you live.

Any fruit left over in a stateroom has to be thrown away. It cannot be put back into the inventory due to health reasons. Soda pop cans, mini-liquor bottles, beer bottle unopened can usually be returned unless there is evidence of tampering.

We always order a fruit bowl with bananas, apples and sometimes oranges for our stateroom and refresh as needed. The fruit has always been edible when we received it. However we like ripe bananas so we usually wait a few days until they start turning brown before eating them. They are edible and many do eat them when they are yellow.

Does this help?

Hi All,

We once had an order for a fruit bowl, very nice selection of fruit arrived,

we left our cabin and returned to find another had been delivered, oh well I like fruit,

we went out again and this time returned to find two more had been delivered,

as they were wrapped and un opened , three of them were removed later that night,

seems our order got stuck some place, so we kept getting fruit sent to us.

Often wonder if same person delivering, what they thought we were going to do with all that fruit

yours Shogun

Satxdive & all thanks for the replies. My guess was that it was thrown away when not used so we will be careful with our ordering. Shogun thanks for the funny story. And also thanks for the suggestion about a paper bag--good idea.

Also, don't be afraid to ask your steward what they can do. They don't make the baskets up (I THINK room service does) but they can put in a request for riper fruit, etc. For example, we like grannysmith apples, not typically put in the basket, but asked the steward and got them (they have to have what you want on board of course and nothing super perishable)

Satxdive & all thanks for the replies. My guess was that it was thrown away when not used so we will be careful with our ordering. Shogun thanks for the funny story. And also thanks for the suggestion about a paper bag--good idea.

There is always fresh fruit in the Horizon Court and Bistro areas on the Royal. We found ripe fruit easy to find up there.You can replenish your fruit order on your own. There are also room service fruit options in the morning.

Oh my, you do live in a remote area. I have been on a land trip to AK three times and twice by ship. However the most remote places we visited was on the ship. Nothing compared to where you live.

Would say where I live is too remote for a cruise ship, but we actually get one most years...small French ship. Hangs out nearby and the passengers come ashore in zodiacs...they only get a couple of hours. Which is a shame when we're so far from anything else.

And folks, believe me I will be getting fruit every which way...like to try everything. Fruit bowl via order card, breakfast card, room service, horizon court, and let's not forget the MDR.

Would say where I live is too remote for a cruise ship, but we actually get one most years...small French ship. Hangs out nearby and the passengers come ashore in zodiacs...they only get a couple of hours. Which is a shame when we're so far from anything else.

And folks, believe me I will be getting fruit every which way...like to try everything. Fruit bowl via order card, breakfast card, room service, horizon court, and let's not forget the MDR.

I never get one anymore, just from HC as and when I want it. Wow I can't imagine living without fresh fruit. It is mango season here at the moment and I am doing my best for the farmers.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't imagine living without fresh fruit either; sometimes my husband (who does all the grocery shopping) has a hard time keeping up with the amount of fruit I eat.

I ate loads of fruit on my last cruise from the buffet, and in fact, most morning my breakfast was a lot of fruit and maybe some yogurt or eggs for protein. I'll take fruit in any form-canned, fresh, dried-but prefer fresh.

I understand your knowledge of what a remote location is since you are from Adak. I got to spend some interesting time there many years ago courtesy of the U.S. Navy. That was my first experience with Alaska. I have been back to that state many times since but not to Adak.

Is the fruit bowl complimentary for all cabins or just suites. How do you go about ordering. This will be our first Princess cruise. We are doing the Royal Princess for the fall transatlantic and I am interested in finding out all I can bout the ship.

I understand your knowledge of what a remote location is since you are from Adak. I got to spend some interesting time there many years ago courtesy of the U.S. Navy. That was my first experience with Alaska. I have been back to that state many times since but not to Adak.

Now imagine the same place you were stationed in, decommissioned, with only 100 people left...

For the record folks, the store here has celery today in addition to onions and potatoes.