and so it begins.....RTW16

cbb

cbb, you ought to write a book. Your summaries make you feel as tho you are right there. I know because my late husband and I did Cape Town to Singapore last year, and you are right on. Did you feed the elephants and the babies from the porch at Addo? I loved that.

Wish I were there. That is my favorite part of Africa, the South and East part. I personally liked that side as opposed to West Africa, which I felt exhibited much more poverty; however it was definitely an education which I enjoyed very much.

Thank you for taking the time to post. The only thing I haven't found are the pictures people refer to.

Good afternoon--

I know I'm risking coming across as a "cheerleader" but honestly, this cruise is amazing. I really can't find anything wrong with anything anyone is doing (well, some of the passengers are a little trying at times....)

We were late arriving in Durban yesterday because of high winds and high seas the night before and the Captain, bless him, cut our speed during the night so we all wouldn't fall out of bed!

It was so rough that the pilot for Durban harbor came aboard by helicopter! Of course as soon as we all heard that, the ship tilted to one side as the photographers all rushed to the windows and deck 10 to take pictures!! It was a pretty amazing arrival...and this wasn't a Hollywood movie with a stunt double!

Those of us going on overnights were told to be in the Lounge at 1:00 to go ashore in an attempt to make up lost time. We had been scheduled to leave for Phinda around 10:00, instead it was past 1:30 when we were allowed shore and 1:50 when we loaded and departed. Durham officials just took a little time to clear us....

Our ride to Phinda was without drama and the amazing young people at Phinda (pronounced pin dah) worked so hard to make up for lost time.

As we drove into Phinda we saw 3 lions waiting along side the road. We figure they were sent by management to welcome us!

Upon our arrival at the lodge, our small over-night bags were taken to our rooms and we 13 boarded 2 vehicles and took off. Matt and Amy were the guides and each had a spotter, ours was Josie (i'm sorry, I'm probably spelling his name incorrectly) who was unbelievable.

Josie was always the 1st to spot wildlife for us and our first night we found a leopard resting on top of a rock so Matt positioned the jeep for the photographers to catch a perfect view.

As we were looking at that leopard, another ambled down a rock face, looked at us, and continued on down the rocks and disappeared. Finally, "our" leopard grew weary of the paparazzi and turned his back to us!

We saw a huge African bull elephant hanging out by himself in the darkening day as well as numerous wildebeest and hippos.

We hung around one spot for a while to see if the 3 other lions Josie found for us did anything but they, too, were apparently exhausted! After dark, however, they suddenly got up and set off leisurely after a herd of wildebeest that came through.

Matt turned on a red spotlight so that we could see the lions but that it wouldn't hurt their eyes. Mr Wonderful nailed a shot of that!

We returned to the Lodge for dinner which was set up on tables with lanterns, flickering torches, bbq lemon chicken with rosemary, ox tail osso buco, mashed potatoes, African vegetable dish, lettuce salad, and pineapple tartare--of course, it was amazing and we were all starved!

Then we were told our room # and each of us had a guide to take us to our room. It was beautiful but we showered and, like falling timber, crashed into bed...lights out!

Wake up call at 5am the next morning was delivered by a knock at the door and a sweet voice said "Good morning" and we answered so she knew we were up. We quickly dressed, climbed the hill to coffee and tea waiting for us, plus Matt and Amy mainlining caffeine!

Off we went in the same jeeps since the guides knew what people had seen what animals and it was easier for them...no arguments from any of us as we all loved, loved our guides, and our jeep was enthralled with the abilities of Josie!

5:30 was the perfect time for us. Beautiful sunrise, cool air, lovely breeze and many of us did not even put hats on. Very quickly they spotted a white rhino and then Josie suddenly got very interested in looking at the ground.

He had picked up tracks of a big cheetah and I swear, I'm not making this up...suddenly motioned to Matt, Matt turned the wheel and we went up a hill and around a bunch of scrub bushes. There on the ground, under the bushes, was a mother cheetah and 2 cubs!!! Matt even got out his camera, that is how exciting that was.

Josie told Matt that he had seen an eye looking through the bushes...let me repeat that....from the other side of a red track he saw an eye! Unbelievable.

Matt parked the jeep, called Amy on the walkie to come, and 13 of us sat there watching 3 cheetahs....how lucky can you get! All of this before 7am!!

Josie then saw signs of a lion and he found her also under a thicket with her 3 cubs. She had very recently killed a wildebeest and they had eaten some of the hindquarters (no blood was seen!) and they looked like most humans after Thanksgiving...unmoving and napping!

One of the cubs was flat on his back, with his head under mom's chin. Periodically, he'd reach up and bat her one. Finally, having enough of junior, she put her massive head on top of him and feel asleep! Take that, kid!!!

As we were watching them, we saw a black rhino come ambling down the hill. He was impressive and had a fine horn.

We were taken to a clearing that had zebras, chimps, baboons, various elks, and Matt and Josie pulled out a small table, put a brown and white gingham tablecloth on it, lit a small camp stove and fixed us hot chocolate, coffee and amarula in tin cups.

So there we were...drinking and eating cookies, watching animals all around us. Seriously....how cool was that.

Finally it was back to the Lodge for a huge breakfast, cooked if you wanted it, with oatmeal, many kinds of fruit, ham, Canadian bacon, several kinds of sweet rolls, coffee, tea, bottled water.

We returned to our room and for the first time opened the drapes to reveal what we could not see last night....the amazing panorama of the African veld in front of us. Rolling hills, wildlife in the distance...going on and on to the horizon.

We did have a plunge pool with chaises & a fully stocked mini fridge from which anything we took was "free". We had a step-down small sitting room and huge floor to ceiling doors that opened to 2 levels of decks.

All to soon it was time to say goodbye. The staff took all of the bags from our rooms and we doublechecked that they were there before we boarded the bus back to the ship and we left.

Needless to say, it was one of the great adventures of my life. Wind in my hair, looking for wild animals and was blessed to see baby animals, ate great food, saw amazing landscapes and all with great people.

What an incredible experience..... c

We were late leaving port last night since the Insignia had to perform electrical tests and then had to wait for a shift change of harbor pilots so that delayed us 3 hrs from leaving port.

We arrived in Maputo, Mozambique 3 hrs later than we were supposed to, and speaking only for myself, I don't know what I would have done with the extra time.

We were going to DIY this port but my research and better judgement made us decide to do a shorex here. The Lounge was filled with people taking shorex. Some of them were 3 hr ones, others were 4-6 hrs.

We decided on a walking tour of Maputo because the idea of walking appealed to us after being on so many 4x4s on game reserves. Our guide was good and told us what life was like in Mozambique.

Electrical power is a problem and in fact when we stopped for cokes/juice at a restaurant there were no lights or fans on. It was in the 90sF and there were many people in the restaurant so it was a warm experience!

We went to a large central market and our guide told us that much of the fresh produce comes from South Africa and then is resold at the market.

Mozambique was a Portuguese colony and Maputo exported cotton and sugar. It had a well equipped port, infrastructures, railways and it became a cosmopolitan city with wide avenues and beautiful acacia and flame trees. Everyone who lived here and worked in the export business became wealthy, except the Africans.

In 1975 the Africans declared their independence after 10 years of war, the Portuguese left very quickly, leaving a vaccuum in port administration and export businesses and the new government turned to the Soviet Union and East Germany and within 5 years the country was bankrupt.

A civil war erupted and lasted until 1992. The economy and government has now stabilized and rebuilding has begun.

It is a strange town--modern buildings, stalinist era buildings, and Portuguese colonial buildings side by side.

There does not appear to be many city services so that trash and garbage was apparent, and yet there are high-rise banks, and a cell phone company in town.

We visited the Maputo Fort which is very well maintained and the Central railway station, and is currently being rehabbed. Both were built by the Portuguese.

I'm glad I got to visit, and I sincerely hope that the citizens are able to continue to build their infrastructure and regain wealth.

Today is a sea day and thought I'd add a few things that I haven't mentioned before.

If you have sailed with O you know that information is left at the bottom of the bed. We have received the standard info but have also twice received a letter with small bottles of hand cleanser, encouraging us to use it on board and to use the small bottles off ship.

We have also received small bottles of insect repellent suitable for handbags and back packs and have been encouraged to use it liberally in some ports of our RTW itinerary.

Currents usually reminds us when we need to apply repellent but we also downloaded & printed the CDC reports on ports before we left home.

Anyone that is going to be on board for any length of time, buy magnets. Get good strong ones, and get ones that also include a clip. We have used them on 2 walls and they keep the cabin organized, plus info on when to use the repellent is immediately available as well as the info on our spreadsheets. Yes, one can use smart phone apps but paper doesn't need to be recharged!!

We will soon be sailing in what is known as a "high risk area" (HRA) for piracy and Insignia is participating in a maritime program from Feb 20-Mar 5. The problems with pirates have diminished in the last few years.

Today we participated in a "pirate drill." In case piracy activity against us is suspected the captain will give us instructions, the major one is to prepare for sudden zig-zap movements by the ship (and obviously, get into the interior of the ship...you probably don't want to be jogging on Deck 10!)

Most importantly, the bridge will be in constant contact with the US Navy during HRA. Wow..... if we were being pursued by bad guys, that US flag is going to look wonderful!!!

A coffee for RTW is tomorrow so that will be fun to catch up with the others. We have all gone our separate ways the past week and it will be great to see them again.

Sad to say....today marks Day 45, which means that we have completed 25% of our cruise....incredible how the days are flying.....er....sailing by.

Arrived at 11:30 at Nosy Be, Madagascar--exactly when our Captain said we would.

Tropical islands dotted the beautiful flat seas and we anchored offshore. Tenders immediately were lowered and most of us went to lunch with both Waves and Terrace open early to accommodate us.

On to the Lounge to get our tender tickets and some folks grew impatient. Destination services staff did the best they could, but the tenders only hold a certain number and that fact is something no one can change.

All tenders were deployed--I guess people are just not content to wait their turn. I guess they didn't get the memo that reminded them that they were supposed to be on vacation.

Staff had to set up ropes in the Lounge to guide people into a line that one would enter from the right and exit from the left; this was a result of the mad dash 2 days ago from supposed adults getting tender tickets.

I think the queue helped to remind people to be careful of other passengers and also not to be so reckless. Pushing is not cool.

We took the tender to the dock and transferred to a motor boat. After we were on the motorboat a few passengers seemed startled to find out that it would be a "wet landing" meaning that they might get their feet wet leaving the small boat to wade ashore.

This information was given to us by destination services and was placed at the bottom of our beds in Cape Town. They said they had never received it....maybe they didn't.

We waded a few feet onto the beach in very warm water that came up about 6" above my ankles. I sat down on rocks and put on my socks & sneakers and was ready to go.

A few people brought their canes (not walking sticks) and I wondered how they would do since the tour was described as strenuous. They turned around part way since the description was accurate.

We walked through Lokobe Preserve, an island for lemurs. Unfortunately, we only saw one. Other tours in other places had lemurs that they fed, took pictures with, etc. but ours was a jungle hike and we were unsuccessful in finding lemurs.

This was an excursion that we would probably label "a disappointment" -- our first one of this cruise. There were 15 of us and that number was too high. There were 2 groups of O passengers doing this excursion and I think there were probably 15 in that group as well.

Given 30 people looking for lemurs in a jungle with hot weather and at 2:00pm there was probably little chance of seeing them. It was just too hot and too mid day for them to be out.

We were then taken to another beach close by and 2 of us went into the water which was quite warm. I had worn a bathing suit and bobbing up and down after the jungle hike was wonderful, but I was the only woman who did this.

There were local people there to sing and dance for us, as well as local crafts for sale on the beach. We were given tickets to turn in for soft drinks or juice which tasted wonderful after our lemur search.

We headed back to the pier which was about a 10 minute motor boat ride, and then transferred to the O tender for a short trip back to the Insignia.

I did not look around the town so I don't know what it had to offer. I know some of the crew had some free time today and many went to the beaches. They seemed quite happy at dinner tonight.

We continue to have some crabby people on board. I guess they haven't realized how fortunate they are to be able to travel. I wish they would remember to say please and thank-you to the staff and crew.

Tomorrow is a sea day and the following day is Tanzania.

We had dinner tonight with "Emma Chisit" & her sweetie and that was great fun--especially since they brought their bottle of bubbly to share--a gift from O.

Sat on the veranda of Terrace with good friends, champagne, glassy seas, beautiful sunset....just doesn't get any better!

Thanks for your wonderful posts...I know from experience it is time consuming, but sure helps with trip memories! Plus us couch cruisers really enjoy the trip!!

Tell Emma Hello from a CC friend, CWN. We were going to be traveling together on the Ocean Princess this time last year until Ebola canceled many port stops in West Africa and many of us changed our plans.

Will the ship be traveling blacked out through the pirate waters? In 2009 a couple of years after a Seabourn ship was chased by a pirate ship and during the peak of the pirate menses, we were on the Seabourn Spirit as we traveled through the Gulf Aden (off the coast of Yemen and Somalia) into the Red Sea. We traveled "cloaked" (blacked out) and had razor wire wrapped around the lowest open deck with guards posted and two LRAD sound producing units mounted, one on each side. We also traveled in a convoy of merchant ships with the USS Higgins (an Arleigh Burks Class destroyer with a Sea Hawk helicopter on board) off our port side and coalition forces helicopters circling over head. Very exciting, all the men spend the days searching the seas for small boats! If you do travel dark any night be sure to go out on your balcony or the deck.....miles and miles of ocean in the pitch black is really something!!! Just one of those great cruising memories!

Thanks again!

cwn- i'll be sure and pass on your "hello" to emmachisit. She and her sweetie are a delight and I'm trying to convince them they need to stay on board until Miami...so far I've been unsuccessful.

yes, to traveling blacked out. Doubt that we travel in the convoy as you did since the Captain said piracy is not at the level it was 5 years ago. Let us pray it stays that way!

I love a guy in uniform as much as the next woman but I'd prefer to see them at R&R in some great town, not alongside my ship and working!

Tell Emma Hello from a CC friend, CWN. We were going to be traveling together on the Ocean Princess this time last year until Ebola canceled many port stops in West Africa and many of us changed our plans.

Hi there - I remember you well from that voyage that didn't happen - you are another keen researcher like cbb (and me). Yes indeed, we finally made it back to West Africa, and on a cruise ship - and now here we are with all these wonderful new (to us) East African ports coming up. How lucky are we all to be able to do this! I had word recently of a dear friend and keen traveller whose travelling days are now done. I do wish the crabby complainers and sneaky queue jumpers mentioned by cbb would just...be thankful...relax and be calm ....

"cbb",

I am really enjoying your posts! I, too, agree with your positive attitude. I feel lucky to be able to travel a bit, and, it helps to look on the bright side, rather than to be constantly complaining. We will be joining you in Sydney (to LAX) on May 9, so hopefully, we may meet up somehow. Thanks so much for sharing your WC experiences! Holly

cbb,

I just got home from a cruise and I am catching up with and enjoying your blogs here. Thank you for taking the time to keep us informed about your adventures. I am traveling with you vicariously and loving it.

Please keep it up and enjoy the rest of your journey :)

Paul

Edited by Paulchili

thanks holly and paul for your kind words.

Right now, I feel as if it isn't quite appropriate to write how much fun i'm having with Mr. Wonderful on this cruise when Betsy has lost her wonderful guy.

On board I see people being rude, worrying about stupid things, not really understanding what's important--if nothing else, perhaps what has happened on board today will make them stop and ponder....I can only hope so.

Hug your sweetie, your child, your pet...be kind to others...be grateful.

I'm grateful that Betsy has such compassionate, empathetic and positive friends onboard with her today. We never got to meet Don but he and my husband shared some medical issues...Don was very generous in sharing helpful particulars and we were so pleased that all worked out in time for him to take this special trip. The logistics that Betsy now has to endure, despite good insurance, are unfortunately all too imaginable...good to know that she has support and comfort until she's back with her family.

I certainly hope that you will continue to post as you enjoy this amazing journey with each other...no one would have wished you happiness and great experiences more than Don.

Sandi & Mel

To see Don having a wonderful time we've posted pictures of him on our blog for today.....

drdavebradley.blogspot.com

we've given betsy the info so that family can see him

What a lovely thought, and a fitting tribute thanks for posting

Please pass on my condolences to the Cruise Critic family on board. I'd hoped to meet Don and all the rest of you on last year's world cruise. I too am glad that Betsy has your support, and that all of you were having such a good time right up until the end.

Sella

Enjoyed seeing the pictures of Don, and that he and Betsy were having so much fun.

+1.

Your tribute photos were wonderful. I am one of the many who only knew him from his kind advice on CC. Thank you for sharing that smile, enjoying the wonders of travel with friends.

Edited by buggins0402

+1.

Your tribute photos were wonderful. I am one of the many who only knew him from his kind advice on CC. Thank you for sharing that smile, enjoying the wonders of travel with friends.

+2

I wish we could have sailed with the Horners.

Don will be missed both by his family at home and here on CC.

Sunday Feb 21 we arrived in Tanzania and as has been true with our African ports we were welcomed by musicians and dancers.

We took a ship's excursion to Historic Bagamoyo, the ancient capital city and we are so glad we went with O.

We had a police escort the whole way and even though it was Sunday and the traffic "wasn't bad" by local standards, it was seriously backed up in some places. The Tanzania people are very law abiding when it comes to sirens so everyone pulled over for us and we just flew through the traffic.

Bagamoyo's history was influenced by Indian & Arab traders. We visited the kaola ruins that had remnants of mosques and tombs that can be dated to the 13th century. Our guide did a fine job presenting the history of the area.

We saw the Church of the Holy Ghost built by Catholic missionaries. It was originally built to house children who had been rescued from slavery but expanded to also become a school and workshops.

We had lunch at Paradise Resort which was very good and then went down to look at the beach. I had come prepared to go in swimming, but there was too much seaweed in the water for my taste so I didn't go in. Tourists from other countries come there for the beach resort.

Next we visited the fort built by the Germans which was bombed by air and sea by the British during World War I and the garrison taken.

The government of Tanzania is working actively to preserve these ancient sites and appear to be doing a wonderful job.

Again, we were given a police escort on our return to the ship, sometimes driving in a lane built for oncoming traffic, but they too had pulled to the side of the road. The trip should have taken 1 1/2 hrs but it took a little over 1 hr. This police escort thing is nice!!!

Again, we were given a police escort on our return to the ship, sometimes driving in a lane built for oncoming traffic, but they too had pulled to the side of the road. The trip should have taken 1 1/2 hrs but it took a little over 1 hr. This police escort thing is nice!!!

Do you think maybe the police escorts are to make sure the germ laden passengers all get back on the ship and don't spread Noro around??:D:D:D