and so it begins.....RTW16

cbb

Did so this evening after the Oceania Club party; we're having dinner with them tomorrow evening. They send their love to you. Both look great! By the way, mentioned the infamous ballcap photo; Denise knew about it, but never realized it was Stu! She had a good laugh over it!

And, our love to you -- wish you were here, even for just a segment or two.

We wish we were there also..our next O is Sirena in November..not sure who the Captain will be..

I am thinking of all of you every day and have signed up for your news letter..Hope all is well..

Miss you and Betsy..I have some friends coming on February 9th for their 50th anniversary..keep an eye out for them..I will write their names to your personal email..

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

• 2 weeks later...

a quick note to let everyone know that the cruise is wonderful. Everyone I've met is in a good mood (except for those few who appear to be cranky about everything and everyone...including their spouse)

The Terrace is "full service" which means the passenger does not touch any of the food, including the rolls! The tongs are out of reach behind the sneeze guards and even the butter is unreachable.

We had small bottles of hand wash on our beds today with a note that said we would be sailing into ports where personal sanitation might prove to be a problem and to use the hand wash.

We went into the Guama River today out of Belem, Brazil which is a tributary of the Amazon and several passengers wore shorts and sleeveless shirts and then wondered why "things" were biting them and wondered if bug spray would help. O.M.G.......!!

I loved sailing the river. The kids were out of school and when they saw our excursion boats they'd wave like mad and then take off running off piers into the water....we'd cheer them on and then more kids would jump!!

lots of great lectures, housekeeping continues to be amazing, food is as exceptional as you remember; we're having a wonderful time!!

Edited by cbb

We went into the Guama River today out of Belem, Brazil which is a tributary of the Amazon and several passengers wore shorts and sleeveless shirts and then wondered why "things" were biting them and wondered if bug spray would help. O.M.G.......!!

OMG indeed! Do some people never do any research about the areas they will be visiting????

Mura

a quick note to let everyone know that the cruise is wonderful. Everyone I've met is in a good mood (except for those few who appear to be cranky about everything and everyone...including their spouse)

The Terrace is "full service" which means the passenger does not touch any of the food, including the rolls! The tongs are out of reach behind the sneeze guards and even the butter is unreachable.

We had small bottles of hand wash on our beds today with a note that said we would be sailing into ports where personal sanitation might prove to be a problem and to use the hand wash.

I loved sailing the river. The kids were out of school and when they saw our excursion boats they'd wave like mad and then take off running off piers into the water....we'd cheer them on and then more kids would jump!!

lots of great lectures, housekeeping continues to be amazing, food is as exceptional as you remember; we're having a wonderful time!!

Enjoying your commentary immensely. Please post pictures if possible and not time consuming. Looks like a wonderful experience.

http://drdavebradley.blogspot.com/ where we are posting photos and some commentary.

traveled with the Don & Betsy Horner today so that was great fun for us.

We're not sure why people don't research where they are going but sometimes all you can do is mentally slap your head with your hand at what you see....and hear.

I just read your blog... keep it coming:)

I hope to do the world trip one day but for now I will enjoy your travels.

I hope there is not something starting on the ship would hate to see the Noro rear it's ugly head on the cruise

Enjoying your blog also

Lyn

Terrace has been "full service" since Day 1 and the bread and tongs have been handled only by staff since we boarded. No signs of anyone being ill.

Glad you're enjoying our cruise. If you can invest the time and/or money, it is a wonderful adventure.

My Sis-I-L has just realized that I don't have to buy the groceries, cook the groceries, or figure out what to do with left-overs for 6 months! The Captain says that when we go home, that towel we tossed on the floor will still be there 3 hours later!

We're hoping for calm seas and clear skies tonight since there is to be a night sky viewing on deck 10 at 10pm with Dr. Caisse the enrichment astronomer....cool!!

Afternoon trivia remains genteel! Have a great day!

Edited by cbb

Terrace has been "full service" since Day 1 and the bread and tongs have been handled only by staff since we boarded. No signs of anyone being ill.

That is good news

It would be terrible if the ship got sick

Enjoy the cruise

Just found this and the links to the blogs. I love nothing more than a good cruise blog, and RTW is icing on the cake, so I will be following along.

And agree with you about people who are surprised there are insects that bite in the Amazon-DUH!

http://drdavebradley.blogspot.com/ where we are posting photos and some commentary.

traveled with the Don & Betsy Horner today so that was great fun for us.

We're not sure why people don't research where they are going but sometimes all you can do is mentally slap your head with your hand at what you see....and hear.

Terrific photos and commentary! Thanks.

thanks for the lovely comments about the blog! It's fun to write!

re: Zika virus: not transmitted person to person

had a letter on the bed tonight from O telling us that the CDC has issued a travel health notice for travelers to the Caribbean, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Central & SAmerica about protection from mosquito bites.

the letter described the symptoms, and the various ways to protect ourselves from bites, including wearing long sleeved shirts and long pants, the use of insect repellents including DEET, picaridin, OLE, and that pregnant & breastfeeding women,and children older than 2 months can use the repellents as well as using permethrin-treated clothing and gear.

I appreciate the reminder that we are responsible for our own protection against mosquito and insect bites.

I thought I'd pass the info along in case some of you were traveling to the affected areas and hadn't thought about packing insect repellents.

several of us knew about zika virus from the news, especially as it pertains to pregnant women and babies.

We women passengers assured ourselves that most of us didn't have the pregnancy thing to worry about, still I thought it was good of O to tell us since many have vowed not to listen to current events while on board!

cathi...

just saw you and your sweetie checking out the cashews in the Mercado Central in Fortaleza! Wasn't that visit an experience!

Just so you all know there is a free shuttle that takes us from the very industrialized port that Insignia is in to the Mercado. It leaves every 1/2 hr from ship to harbor building and then another bus takes us to the mercado.

The Mercado Central is 5 stories tall, filled with small stalls with winding staircases about 6' across going up the central core...all under a common roof. The stalls sell everything you have ever seen and then... add more!!

It is not just for tourists; many locals were shopping and dining there.

The Cathedral of the Asuncao is literally next door and is worth a step inside, just to recover from the noise and bustling business going on in the mercado. It is dark with mold and mildew outside with sharp angles but the inside is white with arches and beautiful circles of stain glass. It is undergoing refurbishment, inside and out.

The bus returns from the mercado every 1/2 hour back to the ship so that was absolutely wonderful for us.

Fortaleza has a very industralized port and one can't walk off the ship into the port area....too dangerous...and by the way....kudos to whomever parallel parked the Insignia between the 2 container ships!!! My driver's ed teacher would be very impressed!!!

cathi...

Fortaleza has a very industralized port and one can't walk off the ship into the port area....too dangerous...and by the way....kudos to whomever parallel parked the Insignia between the 2 container ships!!! My driver's ed teacher would be very impressed!!!

That would be Captain Flokas!! He is the best..

Jancruz1

We've just left Natal, Brazil which is an interesting seaside town. As we entered the area it reminded me of North Carolina's Outer Banks with lovely tall sand dunes. Be sure to be on Deck 10 for sail-in, sail out with your cameras.

We took a shorex "Highlights of Natal" with a wonderful guide "Priscilla", named for Mrs Elvis Presley. Priscilla said her mom was a huge Elvis fan! Other passengers had high praise for their guides and their excellent English skills.

Drove through several different neighborhoods, including a street that had only opthalmologists, optometrists, and eye glasses and sun glasses shops. Eyes and skin are regularly checked in Natal because of the omnipresent sun.

Visited the world's largest cashew tree, drove through the hotel/condo areas close to the beaches and learned that if you wanted a condo at the beach you could probably get one for about $90k US.

Ended our excursion at a former prison that has been turned into a market place. All the cells have been converted into shops selling tee shirts, lace, cut work table clothes, shoes, bags, etc to locals and tourists...much as we had seen in Fortaleza.

Tomorrow is Recife. We're sharing a cab with Don & Betsy Horner to Olinda since the shorex doesn't spend enough time in Olinda so we're going to DIY. We've been told it is safe to do so, but not to wander the side streets.

We will take point and shoot cameras that we can stick in our pockets since we have been warned that "grab and run" guys prey on tourists in the Brazilian ports.

There was a free shuttle from the ship to the prison marketplace that several passengers took, and there is a free shuttle tomorrow into Recife.

Depending upon where we finally dock there might be an inter-port shuttle service from the ship to the terminal building where the O tour buses and shuttle service to town center is located.

I'll try to keep you informed on transportation, excursions, and anything else you all want to know about.

Everyone is in good spirits and spouses/partners still seem to be speaking to each other on Day 19!! Food is wonderful, and the crew amazing to put up with all of us! Captain seems relaxed and the Chef is happy! c

We had a private tour to Recife a couple of years ago (8 people I think) and felt no fear there. It's a very pretty, pleasant town. Our guide wasn't too great at explaining things, even when ASKED, so taking a cab should be fine! You'll see as much as we did, I think.

Some great views of the port from Olinda for photographers ...

Mura

i researched olinda and recife and have many pages of notes. I have written the name of 2 places for us to be dropped off--we'll see if he recognizes either place in Olinda--as well as the name and # of where we are docked for the return trip.

I copied a diy city walk and map from frommers.com and it does a nice job of telling me what each place is as well as the corresponding # on the map--hopefully that will all help.

tell you later how this all worked out!

Today Don & Betsy Horner and D and I did a DIY to Olinda, a small town about 7 kilometers from where our ship was docked in Recife.

We boarded a free shuttle that took us to the new port terminal, and then another free shuttle took us from the terminal to downtown Recife where we could get a taxi to Olinda. We don't know if O provided the guides but the guide on our bus was wonderful and helped us talk to the taxi drivers downtown.

We used a taxi that had a meter rather than a negotiated fare and after a short ride were taken to the Cathedral du Se, which is on the highest point in Olinda....good for those who don't like to climb up cobblestone walkways.

We returned from Olinda using a taxi and the total cost, round trip, was ~$20US. As you leave the port terminal there were several taxi drivers offering to take us to Olinda for a higher amount. I'd suggest going into town and finding the metered taxi.

We were particularly happy to learn that the taxis and the shops in Olinda would accept $US so we didn't have to find a bank. Even the guide didn't know where one was around the terminal.

One thing that worked very well for us was that I had written on an index card the name of the cathedral in Olinda, and on the reverse side wrote where we wanted to be dropped off, the Port Terminal, Pier N5 and that info was found in Currents. We showed the card to the driver...instant communication!

Betsy happened to be at the right place at the right time and we were invited into a convent that was usually closed to tourists. We saw a beautifully painted ceiling and each floor had different Portuguese tiles.

Royal poinciana in bloom all over town, wonderfully painted or tiled facades, genuinely nice people and amazing views. Awesome day!