Drinks Package price increase

You are missing the point. No one is complaining about the grats increase, but the price of the overall drink packages that have increased. At this point we don't know if the drink packages price, as shown in the cruise planner, include the grats which makes the new prices a bit palatable. However, to make the price of some of the packages the same for adults and kids is a bit unnerving.

Children pay the same price for a cabin as adults. They pay the same gratuities. The prices of the packages are based on an estimate of consumption. If a person consumes a set amount of drinks to make a package worthwhile, what difference does it make if that person is a child or an adult? If the argument is that a child consumes less than an adult, then the package is probably not a good value for that child and they should pay by the drink.

An argument could also be made that people were purchasing a lower priced child package and using it for themselves, i. e. cheating. We hear about that stuff all the time here on CC. Royal Caribbean isn't blind to the cheating scams.

Not all drink prices skyrocketed. Yes, specialty cocktail pricing was an eyeopener when $14 prices were seen. But a basic drink like a vodka tonic is still reasonably priced. Basic American beers are still reasonably priced. I think Royal wants people to buy the packages and they raised the specialty drink prices to get people to see the value in buying a package. Like it or not, it is what it is. The prices will go to what the market will bear. That's capitalism for ya! :D

As far as the gratuities, I know people that got upset at the 15% and I also know people who tip extra for every drink. There is a wide opinion about gratuities.

My example: A simple Captain Morgan's on the rocks went from $6.50 Feb 2014 to $9.50 May 2015. 46% increase. When I got the receipt for my drink this past May I about spit my drink out. Drink prices reached the point where I personally just couldn't justify or enjoy it.

I agree with you fully about RCI pushing the packages, and determining what people will bear for prices. Problem is, that's not good for our pockets, and it's already reached my tipping point (no pun intended)

Funny thing is, when cocktail prices were lower I would add at least $1 to every drink. Now that they are so high, I won't. (Unless the service is truly spectacular)The bartenders are, unfortunately, making much less from me now. Not to mention that I'm ordering less drinks.

Dan

Children pay the same price for a cabin as adults. They pay the same gratuities. The prices of the packages are based on an estimate of consumption. If a person consumes a set amount of drinks to make a package worthwhile, what difference does it make if that person is a child or an adult? If the argument is that a child consumes less than an adult, then the package is probably not a good value for that child and they should pay by the drink.

An argument could also be made that people were purchasing a lower priced child package and using it for themselves, i. e. cheating. We hear about that stuff all the time here on CC. Royal Caribbean isn't blind to the cheating scams.

My grandkids can drink a lot more soda than I can! I would argue that I should pay less. I don't see a problem with the price being the same.

Dear RCCL-team,

due to the current situation regarding the $$$, price increases and charging for nearly everything, I think you should stop performing the Dream-Works parade on your ships, and replace the current characters such as Shrek by those ones here... :D

scroogemcduckbrhlfnjxue_thumb.jpg macmobvhgif7y0o_thumb.jpg

At least, it would show consequently your addiction to nickle and dime every single passenger, especially on your new, already highly-priced ships... :rolleyes:

Edited by celebrity_fan

IMO, the gratuity % increase was totally unnecessary since the drink prices (paying out of pocket, not the drink packages) skyrocketed this past spring. Even if the gratuity had stayed at 15%, their gratuity per drink went way up.

Dan

My example: A simple Captain Morgan's on the rocks went from $6.50 Feb 2014 to $9.50 May 2015. 46% increase. When I got the receipt for my drink this past May I about spit my drink out. Drink prices reached the point where I personally just couldn't justify or enjoy it.

I agree with you fully about RCI pushing the packages, and determining what people will bear for prices. Problem is, that's not good for our pockets, and it's already reached my tipping point (no pun intended)

Funny thing is, when cocktail prices were lower I would add at least $1 to every drink. Now that they are so high, I won't. (Unless the service is truly spectacular)The bartenders are, unfortunately, making much less from me now. Not to mention that I'm ordering less drinks.

Dan

You are absolutely correct on both counts and, like you, previously I had always tipped additional, but now with the increased drink pricing and the gratuity increase I rarely tip the servers extra and we buy fewer drinks. I don't mind the gratuity (service charge) increase but find the current drink prices make me consciously think about whether I really want a drink or not. More often than not, it is not.

Dan

I said almost that same thing on another thread. I don't enjoy things when I don't feel I'm getting good value for my money.

The drink packages haven't gone up. We purchased our 7 day premium package a few weeks ago and we were charged $399 per person. $798 all in for two adults, hardly a shock to the pocketbook if you are a consumer of alcohol. You aren't forced to purchase it you know.

It did change earlier this week. I actually added it to my cart on RC.com but never checked out. When I went back the next day to check out the old price was initially showing but I was charged the updated price.

10749957_742331719188855_3249784816735317476_o.jpg

Who wonders? :rolleyes: It's RCCL, number one in charging for items used to be free and increasing prices for more onboard revenue... :mad:

You haven't been paying attention to DCL this year if you think RCCL is #1 at this.

Free cheese/fruit plate is now $38.....

Do people think that prices are going to stay the same forever and ever?

It has been merely 2 years since these drinks packages were created, and they've changed the price (either the package cost or the gratuity, both of which result in an increase in the whole package) a few times. There's a difference between 2 years and "forever and ever".

I've never bought a drink package, but you don't suppose people sharing a single drink package has anything to do with the increases do you? It's a common practice that is obvious to RCI, so they will eventually make up for it somehow.

Why do you think it's common? I have *only* heard about RCI employees stopping any sharing they see, so I'm not sure why they would have to increase prices because of something they are stopping? After all, wouldn't a price increase just make people share MORE?

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking of pulling the trigger for the Premium packages for DW and I. I thought at one time it included bottles of "still" water but it doesn't show that on the Cruise Planner package description. Can anyone confirm whether it includes bottled water or not? :confused:

Thinking of pulling the trigger for the Premium packages for DW and I. I thought at one time it included bottles of "still" water but it doesn't show that on the Cruise Planner package description. Can anyone confirm whether it includes bottled water or not? :confused:

You need to get the Ultimate package to have bottled water included.

I thought it did too ...

I know i have posted this in another thread, but I think it is worth a thread of its own.

Just noticed the premium package has now gone up to $57.82 per day. an increase of $0.82 per day.

Not sure what increase was on the other 2 packages as I was only looking at the premium.

New prices:

Select $46.02

Premium $57.82

Ultimate $69.62

I know it's not much, but every little helps:D

Here we go nickel and diming us again 82 cents omg

Thanks for the clarification. I thought that you had to get the ultimate as it included the premium and the Royal Replenish packages.

I asked the same question on a different thread. The description for the premium package used to say bottled water. The new description dosnt say anything about bottle water . We have two premium packages for our cruise in two weeks. Can anyone confirm if bottled water is still a part of the premium or was it removed

Thanks

Just off the phone with RCCL to ask this specific question...bottled water IS still included in the premium pkg. Sparkling water is included with Ultimate (not premium). :cool:

Thanks for checking that out. I was going to call them myself today to find out. Glad it still includes bottled still water. :-)

I just went into the reservation for our up-coming cruise:

Ultimate Drink Pkg. $69.62 per day

Select Drink Pkg $46.02 per day

Replenish $22.42 per day

Premium Drink Pkg $57.82

Refreshment Pkg $9.44

These are the prices that I am being quoted to add these packages to our reservation.

What is a replenish?:confused:

Haven't seen this one before:

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/beverage_packages.pdf

Interesting that "gratuities MAY be added".

From the looks of it, seems like maybe my favorite replenish package no longer includes frozen (nonalcoholic) cocktails-- that would be a deal breaker for me!

Edited by denatravels