Up-sell offer. Advice?

JPH814

I just got an up-sell email for our upcoming 12 night cruise in the Caribbean on the Zuiderdam. We currently are in a Neptune Suite and are being offered a Pinnacle Suite for an additional $3200 (a couple).

Other than the additional room in the suite and the whirlpool on the balcony, what does the Pinnacle Suite get me?

And are these offers ever negotiable? Do you think I could contact them and say "I would take it for an additional $1000"? or $1500?

Edited by JPH814

I just got an up-sell email for our upcoming 12 night cruise in the Caribbean on the Zuiderdam. We currently are in a Neptune Suite and are being offered a Pinnacle Suite for an additional $3200 (a couple).

Other than the additional room in the suite and the whirlpool on the balcony, what does the Pinnacle Suite get me?

And are these offers ever negotiable? Do you think I could contact them and say "I would take it for an additional $1000"? or $1500?

The majority of the benefit will be the extra space. The Pinnacle SUites really are beautiful. We found for us when we booked one that with the group of 12 we had it was great but if just the 2 of us it would have been absolute overkill. But your opinion could of course vary.

You can try to counter offer (never hurts to ask) but they will typically have figures they are given and that price is a "take it or leave it". If you decline but would be interested perhaps if it were lower, tell them and if there are no other takers they may circle back to you if there is a new offer.

Whether or not it is worth it is very subjective, so I cannot answer that. Since on our cruise there were just the two of us, plus we were in a corner aft-wrap (we love this location on deck 5), so we passed on the upsell.

What I can tell you is that we were offered basically the same upsell (Oosterdam in early Dec Caribbean cruise) for an 11 day and the price was $2400 for a couple, so your price seems a bit high. Another cruiser on the same 11 day a month before us was offered it for $2000. So, I would definitely counter that price.

As far as I know, you do not get any other "perks", except for extra attention from the staff/crew. You generally get to be the very first ones on the ship (before the Neptunes), but IMO that is not a huge deal.

Do a search on this topic and you will find plenty of others who have great thoughts on the value of this upsell.

Edited by DaveOKC

Only you can decide if the upsell offer is worth it.

There are no extra perks except for the larger cabin and the whirlpool on the deck. And to be honest, we have booked many PS cabins and never used either the whirlpool on the deck or in the bathroom.

We do like having the extra bathroom.

I doubt if you offered them $1000 or $1500 total as a counter offer if they would accept it.

So it sounds like ...

" it's all about the space, the space... No butler!"

The only reason I am really considering it is because there are four days at sea plus one more where we are not getting off the ship. But it sounds like the suite we have is more than adequate.

But I might go back with a low ball counter offer just to see what happens. 

Edited by JPH814

So it sounds like ...

The only reason I am really considering it is because there are four days at sea plus one more where we are not getting off the ship. But it sounds like the suite we have is more than adequate.

I would try it, but it will likely take at least $1000 pp for them to bite (if they do at all).

Please come back on here and let us know how you do with the counter offer.

Edited by DaveOKC

The only time I tried a counter-offer it was rejected, but I do know of one case of a successful negotiation down from a first-offer for an upgrade to a PS.

So it sounds like ...

Let me know if you get it Joe ... I will bring the Champagne ! :D

I'm a loyal lover of Neptunes (I'll be in an aft-wrap in 11 days on the Oo'dam). To me it boils down to $3200 for an extra bathroom, a dining room table, a hot tub on your veranda, and bragging rights that you've stayed in a PS.

I'm a loyal lover of Neptunes (I'll be in an aft-wrap in 11 days on the Oo'dam). To me it boils down to $3200 for an extra bathroom, a dining room table, a hot tub on your veranda, and bragging rights that you've stayed in a PS.

There is lots of closet space too :D;). Seriously, it does seem high. The op could low ball them but often they will not give it away for less then a set amount and it will sail empty. That said, there is no harm in asking.

No loss whatsoever. Clearly the real estate had more value to HAL than it did to you. No surprise.

Keep your powder dry. Put the money that you would have otherwise spent towards another cruise or an extend pre or post cruise vacation.

There is really only so much utility that you can squeeze out of a bit of extra real estate over such a short period.

Edited by iancal

Total. I am very happy with my Neptune Suite. And with the market hiccup this week, no reason to go crazy.

But the value proposition for HAL is not $1000; they would get the $1000 plus they could then sell my neptune suite. Plus they get the other revenue ( drinks, excursions, etc) for two more people. Or then run the risk of an empty pinnacle suite.

Total. I am very happy with my Neptune Suite. And with the market hiccup this week, no reason to go crazy.

But the value proposition for HAL is not $1000; they would get the $1000 plus they could then sell my neptune suite. Plus they get the other revenue ( drinks, excursions, etc) for two more people. Or then run the risk of an empty pinnacle suite.

If someone was upsold (likely) into your Neptune then it wouldn't be all gravy and it might only make a small amount extra. I applaud Hal for having some ground rules for how low they are willing to go. They might have already sold it to someone else. These offers go out to many people at once. If no one bites they may send out additional upsells or they may not. Clearly they didn't see enough upside in your offer.

Edited by cruz chic

Not surprising that they turned down $500 pp, as they normally get $1000 pp or more on these upsells. On my 11 day cruise they got someone to pay the $1200 pp that I turned down the same day (at least according to my HAL PCC), plus I know of others here on CC that have spent $1000 or more pp on this upsell. I think they do not want to sell these too cheaply, as word would get out and ruin it in the long run for their upsells. I think that at some point they would rather give it away as a free upgrade than let it go too cheaply.

Just my opinion of course. But you did the right thing in trying - you never know.

I'm splurging an extra approx $2700 to get a Neptune Suite for an upcoming Alaskan cruise - but for an outdoor private hot tub? I'd think it would be VERY tempting to splurge an extra couple grand! I'm hoping the Neptune Suite is worth the splurge - it's my first suite! (Don't judge me! lol ;))

Outdoor hot tub, champagne, & glacier viewing! Sounds grand, no?

I'm splurging an extra approx $2700 to get a Neptune Suite for an upcoming Alaskan cruise - but for an outdoor private hot tub? I'd think it would be VERY tempting to splurge an extra couple grand! I'm hoping the Neptune Suite is worth the splurge - it's my first suite! (Don't judge me! lol ;))

Outdoor hot tub, champagne, & glacier viewing! Sounds grand, no?

It wasn't terribly private on tge Oosterdam. You could be seen by many cabins. One thing that was odd is that you had to fill it up and drain it yourself for each use. When I think of a hot tub that's not usually what I picture.