Is the Adventure of the Seas too small?

We've taken the Oasis and Liberty. We loved them both. The only reason we are considering the Adventure is because of the itinerary.

Is it that much smaller? What are the big differences? Opinions? Will we like this ship as much as we have the other 2?

How would anyone know what you would like?

Adventure is significantly smaller than Oasis, but also has many fewer guests. The biggest difference is the lack of neighborhoods, such as Boardwalk and Central Park, and many fewer restaurants.

Edited by clarea

Adventure is Voyager Class and Liberty is Freedom Class. Freedom Class was built after Voyager Class as a slightly larger sister Class. Adventure will look and feel a lot like Liberty, just a bit smaller and fewer passengers. You still have the ice skating, Promenade, Solarium, Windjammer, MDR and they are all in the same places as Liberty. No Pizza on the Promenade though. At 3100+ passengers, Adventure is hardly small. Voyager Class is our personal favorites.

Adventure is Voyager Class and Liberty is Freedom Class. Freedom Class was built after Voyager Class as a slightly larger sister Class. Adventure will look and feel a lot like Liberty, just a bit smaller and fewer passengers. You still have the ice skating, Promenade, Solarium, Windjammer, MDR and they are all in the same places as Liberty. No Pizza on the Promenade though. At 3100+ passengers, Adventure is hardly small. Voyager Class is our personal favorites.

no pizza :(

Funny Bob

PandaBear -

Adventure is not that much smaller than Liberty. When are you thinking of going? AOS is scheduled for dry dock this year which should bring it in line with the Navigator/Voyager updates.

Going out of SJU is a unique experience in itself. You will experience more history, culture, diversity, less kids (older average age), unique islands, hot weather year round, ....

IMO the Southern cruises are more about the ports than the ship. You would be making a mistake to not take a southern cruise if you have the opportunity.

Funny Bob

PandaBear -

Adventure is not that much smaller than Liberty. When are you thinking of going? AOS is scheduled for dry dock this year which should bring it in line with the Navigator/Voyager updates.

Going out of SJU is a unique experience in itself. You will experience more history, culture, diversity, less kids (older average age), unique islands, hot weather year round, ....

IMO the Southern cruises are more about the ports than the ship. You would be making a mistake to not take a southern cruise if you have the opportunity.

When is it going on dry dock? Was looking to go towards end of May.

Funny Bob

PandaBear -

This Anthem cruise is rather popular now. It sold out before Thanksgiving just about, and they improved the itinerary for 2017 over this year (+St.Lucia + Antigua - St.Kitts/Martinique). There are also not a not of kids on board as its one of the pricier cruises Royal offers. Many Europeans came across the pond for this ship and ports, however. I'm already considering taking the plunge for next January for those two new ports along with some oldies but goodies.

This Anthem cruise is rather popular now. It sold out before Thanksgiving just about, and they improved the itinerary for 2017 over this year (+St.Lucia + Antigua - St.Kitts/Martinique). There are also not a not of kids on board as its one of the pricier cruises Royal offers. Many Europeans came across the pond for this ship and ports, however. I'm already considering taking the plunge for next January for those two new ports along with some oldies but goodies.

How did we make the jump from the Adventure OTS (which is in San Juan) to the Anthem OTS (which is in NY/NJ)?

Adventure and Liberty are MUCH more similar than Liberty and Oasis. I can't state that for fact since I haven't been on Voyager class yet (but will in April). However, from all the researching I've done, I'm surprised how similar the two ships are.

We have been on the Freedom Class (Liberty) and the Oasis Class (Oasis) and the Oasis class is a different beast altogether. After sailing Oasis, we prefer the Freedom class and are hoping the Voyager class (Navigator) meets our needs in April.

My guess... if you like Liberty, you will like Adventure. Very similar offerings, much more so than Liberty and Oasis.

Dan

no pizza :(

Funny you say that. I researched and researched this, since the late night pizza was a big deal for us on the Freedom and Independence. (especially our kids)

We're cruising on the Navigator (same class ship) and found out that the pizza is found in the Cafe Promenade instead of Sorrento's (which doesn't exist on Voyager class)

I assume Adventure is the same.

Dan

Correct, pizza slices (but not whole pizzas) are in Cafe Promenade on Voyager class.

Funny you say that about the whole pizzas, because this was a big issue for us on the Oasis. We would be waiting in line waiting to get our slice or two from what was being offered only to have the person in front of us take the whole dang pizza!!! Happened to us at least 4 times, and no, we do not spend our day hanging out at Sorrento's :), this was in that 11pm-1am time frame when we are ready for a snack before bed.

So after having this happen repeatedly, I finally had enough. So me, being me, politely asked this particular guy why he was taking a whole pizza (actually, I think he grabbed two whole pizzas) when there was obviously a line of people waiting. They both had just come out of the oven. His answer? I have hungry teenagers up in our room! My thought? Well send them down to get in line like everyone else!

We never had anyone take a whole pizza on our other cruises. Maybe we have been lucky :)

Dan

Have cruised Navigator, Liberty, Indy, Freedom and Allure.

Navigator and Adventure are sisters as are Liberty, Indy and Freedom.

The differences between them are very very minor, I read once that the Freedom class were initially called the Super-Voyager class because they were just a stretched version of the Voyager.

The Voyager/Freedom group are much more similar than Liberty and Oasis. If you didn't have a problem with the difference between those two I doubt you will notice the difference between Liberty and Adventure.

We've taken the Oasis and Liberty. We loved them both. The only reason we are considering the Adventure is because of the itinerary.

Is it that much smaller? What are the big differences? Opinions? Will we like this ship as much as we have the other 2?[/quote

Adventure is 1020'

Liberty is 1111'

So not much difference in length of the ships. There are a few differences as far as amenities. No Flow Rider on Adventure yet (to be added during dry dock this year). Royal Promenade is similar, and overall design is similar. Just a little bit smaller and no cantilever hot tubs. Liberty's balconies were built away from the superstructure, Adventures were built within the superstructure making them smaller.

Adventure is anything but small and was at the time of her build one of the largest afloat.

Having sailed the Allure, the Independence(my favorite) and the Adventure twice doing the A and B itineraries, I highly recommend this ship.

Liberty's balconies were built away from the superstructure, Adventures were built within the superstructure making them smaller.

At first I was confused by this, but then I realized you must be talking about the balcony itself, not the room.

Looks like the room itself is larger on the Voyager Class, at 206 sq ft, versus 189 sq. ft. on the Freedom Class.

So does the larger balcony on the Freedom class take away from the size of the room itself (versus the Voyager class). Kinda appears that way.

Dan

... So does the larger balcony on the Freedom class take away from the size of the room itself (versus the Voyager class). Kinda appears that way.

Dan

The balconies on Freedom class are attached to the outside of the ship, just like the second gen Voyager class ships Navigator and Mariner. The balcony does not take away from the size of the stateroom.

The balconies on Freedom class are attached to the outside of the ship, just like the second gen Voyager class ships Navigator and Mariner. The balcony does not take away from the size of the stateroom.

Ah, good to know! I almost went back and edited my post, because the more I looked at the balcony room sizes it looks like it's all over the place for both Freedom and Voyager classes. Anywhere from about 175 sq ft to 220 sq ft, roughly.

Dan