Unwanted Upgrade, How do I get my cabin back?

BoxersMom

FYI, this is not my first cruise, I am a Diamond member and in fact I have 20+ on Celebrity, but only 3 on Royal. I did not know about the Upgrade choice, and had never had this issue with Celebrity, so I had not made a choice as to upgrading. I have however, now!

Also, I did not get my original cabin back. I got another Aft balcony 2 doors down in the middle which I did think was an Upgrade, but would have rather kept what I had and not dealt with the stress. Thank you all!!

I confused you with someone who said they didn't have a C&A #. I also didn't pay attention that the aft balcony you got was not the original.

Biker, whose reading comprehension today is lacking.

FYI, this is not my first cruise, I am a Diamond member and in fact I have 20+ on Celebrity, but only 3 on Royal. I did not know about the Upgrade choice, and had never had this issue with Celebrity, so I had not made a choice as to upgrading. I have however, now!

Also, I did not get my original cabin back. I got another Aft balcony 2 doors down in the middle which I did think was an Upgrade, but would have rather kept what I had and not dealt with the stress. Thank you all!!

The important thing is that it all turned out well for you! :)

Have a fantabulous cruise! And enjoy that great aft cabin!

Gosh...thank you! I have done a great service then. :D

My comment was for some that want to insist on posting something negative, and in this case for what real reason since the issue was already resolved? Not for someone that was actually trying to be helpful. ;)

Sorry if you misunderstood, I didn't mean to be snarky. It really is difficult to decide when to comment regardless of the tone you wish to interject.

Sorry if you misunderstood, I didn't mean to be snarky. It really is difficult to decide when to comment regardless of the tone you wish to interject.

No problem! None of us are perfect at all times. ;)

Hope to cruise with you and Laura again soon! :)

Good morning:

I do not believe indicating "do not upgrade" necessarily ensures you avoid a change to your cabin.

On Celebrity Infinity, last February, checking in for a south america cruise, we were informed at the check in desk that our cabin was cancelled and we were assigned another cabin. We had no advance communication from Celebrity, period.

Our booking had "do not upgrade", our TA put the same words on the TA notes section. Further, we called just before leaving to ensure no change would be made.

Not enough obviously.

The upgrade to a not desired aqua class cabin would have caused 2 major issues on this cruise:

1) Was located on the wrong side of the ship for the major scenery viewings

2) Located under the gym - such aqua class cabins are known to have a lot of noise

So, for all posters who are chattering why would anyone refuse an upgrade, there are 2 major reasons!

Thankfully we boarded early and were able to acquire a similar cabin to what we had booked. Then we spent 3 hours reconstructing our original reservation including fighting for an assignment in the MDR for the heavily booked early sitting.

Working with our TA we got Celebrity to reimburse us $400 each off our cruise.

So moral of the story, do not assume that stating "do not upgrade" works. In our case we got no notice from Celebrity until checking in.

On Celebrity M class ships, most of the aqua class cabins are located under noisy public areas - many patrons learn this the hard way. It was a brilliant marketing ploy by Celebrity to charge a lot more for the least desireable cabins on the ship.

ABoatNerd

No problem! None of us are perfect at all times. ;)

Hope to cruise with you and Laura again soon! :)

I probably should have left off "like you"

Need more coffee, and hope to sail with you as well, maybe Oasis

Edited by John&LaLa

I probably should have left off "like you"

Need more coffee, and hope to sail with you as well, maybe Oasis

Mmmmmm..yes! Just poured myself a hot cup. Needed now with our temp at 49 this morning! Down right cold for my whimpy Florida self.

Booked Oasis for PC sailing already!

What Royal considers an upgrade can be totally different than what I consider to be an upgrade.

Exactly what I was thinking. My luck I get upgraded to a cabin with music playing all night right above or below me. :mad: They should at least contact you to see if the cabin upgrade is worth it.

Mmmmmm..yes! Just poured myself a hot cup. Needed now with our temp at 49 this morning! Down right cold for my whimpy Florida self.

Booked Oasis for PC sailing already!

It feels -4F here today with windchill. School buses aren't running due to road conditions. Today is a stay at home day with a hot coffee and iPad.

Mom is in Sarasota and she was so busy rubbing it in she forgot to thank me for checking her house.:rolleyes: Gotta love moms. :)

It feels -4F here today with windchill. School buses aren't running due to road conditions. Today is a stay at home day with a hot coffee and iPad.

Mom is in Sarasota and she was so busy rubbing it in she forgot to thank me for checking her house.:rolleyes: Gotta love moms. :)

Brrrrrr... for sure! :eek:

But you sure have some beautiful summers up there! :)

Nice looking ride on your avatar!

Brrrrrr... for sure! :eek:

But you sure have some beautiful summers up there! :)

Nice looking ride on your avatar!

In our house we live for summer and winter vacations to hot destinations. As for the avatar compliment, thank-you. It is a 1970 Boss 429. We just finished a 2 year concours restoration on it. When I found it a3 years ago someone had stripped the paint in the mid 80s to restore it and never got any further. The best thing is it sat for that long without having anyone fool around with it. It currently is tucked away in a heated garage waiting for summer. Actually it sounds just like me, tucked away waiting for summer. :D

Love your kitty photo. :)

Edited by A&L_Ont

In our house we live for summer and winter vacations to hot destinations. As for the avatar compliment, thank-you. It is a 1970 Boss 429. We just finished a 2 year concours restoration on it. When I found it a3 years ago someone had stripped the paint in the mid 80s to restore it and never got any further. The best thing is it sat for that long without having anyone fool around with it. It currently is tucked away in a heated garage waiting for summer. Actually it sounds just like me, tucked away waiting for summer. :D

Love your kitty photo. :)

Indeed really sweet ride! :D Nice job on the restore project.

Thanks on the kitty photo. That is Katiekat, my constant "secretary" who always sits with me while I type away. Sometimes she likes to walk over the key board and type her own message. :eek: That picture is of her sitting in our Land Yacht...(our other "cruise" passion).

Edited by island lady

That's quite the dilemma. Some folks may not feel the need to read 100 posts. Also, I often want to quote someone, but feel the need to read the next 60 posts in the off chance that the comment has been resolved. Then you have to go back and find the particular post you want to comment on.

And if you don't do that, someone like you will point it out. ;)

Try right-clicking on the quote button of the posting that you MAY want to respond to, and select Open in new tab. This will open the typical quote response window in a new tab. Read as much as you want of the rest of the thread, and then switch to the other tab when ready to reply. If you no longer need to reply, close the tab. Works really well for long threads, and I just did this to respond to your posting (in case someone else already told you about this option).

Edited by bobmacliberty

Try right-clicking on the quote button of the posting that you MAY want to respond to, and select Open in new tab. This will open the typical quote response window in a new tab. Read as much as you want of the rest of the thread, and then switch to the other tab when ready to reply. If you no longer need to reply, close the tab. Works really well for long threads, and I just did this to respond to your posting (in case someone else already told you about this option).

Thanks, will try, but not sure it will work well on a phone

Be certain that both occupants mark no upgrade in your profiles. We once got upgraded from a regular balcony to a suite at no charge and we did receive double points. That being said, we always prefer corner aft balcony over junior suite. We change our upgrade preference to no upgrade every time we book corner aft and that has worked. Good luck!

Normally I would take any upgrade, at any time, (though have still never, ever met the upgrade fairy) but plan on setting my profile to "do not upgrade" for our Radiance August Alaska cruise B2B. Not giving up 9256 for anything on that one! Well....except for 1100. ;) Aft cabins are great for viewing the inland water way. :)

You are smart to do that. We had 9256 on Radiance for Alaska in 2012 and it was incredible. Enjoy our room ;)

You are smart to do that. We had 9256 on Radiance for Alaska in 2012 and it was incredible. Enjoy our room ;)

So did we! :)

Radiance Alaska 8/10/2012 cruise in 9256. Fantabulous!

So we are booked again, but this time B2B in 9256. Don't have to drag me off the ship

kicking and screaming "no..no..I won't go" in Vancouver this time! ;) :D

Not really a fan of 1602, but 1100 would be the only upgrade from 9256 for me! :D

I have 9256 on my upcoming B2B jewel cruise.

But....i would trade it for 1602 anyday.....especially for the same price.

The balcony is larger and it does have a place to get some shade. Plus the other benefits of a JS.

What didn't you like about 1602??

Edited by Beachammo

if you can't get 9256, the next choice is 8168

On our Brilliance TA in April, cabin 8168 has been available for over 3 weeks now. I've tried to get members of my roll call to switch over. No one has done it yet. They don't know what they're missing.

Some say the walk is too long

Others love the hump

Some say too much hassle to call Royal

We have a hump on our upcoming Allure cruise. I don't want to upgrade. However, I have a TA and I can't get into that part of my cruise. I have e-mailed him to notify him to mark it. Let's hope he does it soon enough that something does not happen.

Glad it was a good resolve

We have a hump on our upcoming Allure cruise. I don't want to upgrade. However, I have a TA and I can't get into that part of my cruise. I have e-mailed him to notify him to mark it. Let's hope he does it soon enough that something does not happen.

Glad it was a good resolve

You do not mark the upgrade preference on the booking. You do that on your Crown and Anchor profile. Your TA would have nothing to do with that since he should not have your Crown and Anchor log in.

Here are the choices that appear on mine:

Member Information

Your Crown & Anchor Tier:

DIAMOND

Your Crown & Anchor Points:

Upgrade Preferences:

I prefer an automatic upgrade

I do not wish to upgrade my stateroom

I would like an upgrade but have restrictions

If I am traveling with friends or family and would like our rooms to be near one another

I do not wish to be upgraded to Boardwalk or Central Park balcony staterooms (OA/AL only)

I do not wish to be upgraded into an accessible stateroom

I would like to stay on the same deck as my current stateroom

I do not wish to be moved to a lower deck

I only wish to be upgraded to a stateroom that is near an elevator

Read more at http://secure.royalcaribbean.com/mycruises/upgradePreferences.do#RyzYOjhzgQzZy56J.99