Kids in Murano specialty restaurant.

Cruiser 50

I understand that age restrictions for children in the Murano and other specialty restaurants have been removed completely.

I am sure your son and daughter are very well behaved in restaurants where a dining experience takes two hours and offers food they might not be familiar with eating.

Some children, however, would not sit still, not talk with indoor voices, run around - if parents did not control them - or otherwise make a $50 per person dining experience not pleasant for other guests. Hopefully, parents will know if their children are suited for a fine dining restaurant before planning it.

As the previous post said the age limit of 12 has now been removed. Our son at 10 could cope with the accepted behavioural standards of a fine dining restaurant and I am sure yours will too! The experienced staff in Murano's will, I am sure, give you a birthday to remember!

I would, however, suggest you chat with the M'D and book an early dining time as the meal can take a while... On our last visit to Murano's we turned down, with some reluctance, the cheese selection saying we were just too tired (no children just adults!) M'D offered to send a cheese selection to our room....If your children do get tired or restless I am sure the staff would look after you.

Have a great birthday and a great cruise!

Cruiser 50, we've had many meals in Murano, Oceanliners, etc., but can only recall a few children in these restaurants. They did fine, but it's a very long average meal time for youngsters to be on their best behavior. I'd wager most kids would prefer the buffet and ping pong, a movie, etc. while their parents have a long dinner without them. :)

Well, the way things are going on the M-Class ships, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they phased out Murano on the S-Class, too. Clearly, X has decided that the ambiance of a top-tier specialty restaurant is not longer needed -- maybe it doesn't fit their "modern luxury" demographic. Although, it's hard to say what they would replace Murano with, since the S-class ships already have a Tuscan Grille. Maybe a Chuck-E-Cheese? :rolleyes:

One poster said it took 2 hours to have a meal in Murano. I wish. It has been closer to 3 hours and we refused the cheese course. In my opinion, this is not a place for children due to the atmosphere and length of dining in Murano. I have seen very few, if any, children on my visits to Murano.

One poster said it took 2 hours to have a meal in Murano. I wish. It has been closer to 3 hours and we refused the cheese course. In my opinion, this is not a place for children due to the atmosphere and length of dining in Murano. I have seen very few, if any, children on my visits to Murano.

I am in agreement with you - our diners at Murano and just lately Ocean Liners (similar to Murano) went 2.5 hours - and we also skipped the cheese course. With Qsine being such a fun place that children would adore - I can't imagine a 10 or 12 yr old choosing Murano over that.

We dine almost exclusively in Murano, and it takes more than two hours. And unless your children would find menu items they will eat, I'm not sure it's a good idea for kids.

Flame me if you will, but I STRONGLY feel it's wrong to expect the wait staff in Murano to go chasing after food all around the ship just because the kids won't eat anything on that menu-----and unlike Tuscan, Murano doesn't have a kid's menu. Why should staff have to hustle up to the buffet or MDR to fetch pizza or pasta or chicken fingers because kids don't eat venison or lobster or turbot or anything else on the menu? Murano is very tightly staffed, and to have even one staff member gone to bring kids food or dessert items, just isn't fair to the other staff and to all the other diners. And, since Murano has such a tiny kitchen, and a relatively small menu because of that, they don't have the provisions to whip up special menu items for kids.

If you think your kids could handle a 2 1/2 to 3 hour dinner, and there are things on the menu they will eat, then by all means have them join you. But if not, perhaps Tuscan would be a better choice.

Edited by kitty9

We will be cruising with our 10 yo dd and 12 yo ds on the Reflection March 26.

While on board I will be celebrating my bday and would like the children to join us. Is there an age requirement for this restaurant?

A better choice would be Qsine on the Reflection if you are bringing children.

They would have a good time and the food would be more to their liking I believe. Murano is typically a very quiet and elegant restaurant. I think you would be uncomfortable in that atmosphere with children. At one of our meals in Murano, this couple came in with two children who looked 8 and 6. They entered in an unruly fashion and left after a conversation with the Maitre D'.

Agree with Keesar that Qsine might be a better (and more fun) choice for dining with the kids. Murano is an excellent venue, but the menu is somewhat haute cuisine and we do not recall any kids menu. If your children can handle a near 2 hour dining experience with gourmet food than Murano would be an option. But the Tapas-like menu in Qsine offers something for just about any taste kids would get a real kick out of ordering off iPads.

Hank

I think the QSINE experience is over-rated. Sure the food looks nice, but the rest is lacking. My kids LOVE sushi. They were not big fans of QSINE.

On Silhouette (NOV 2015) when talking to the "Salesguys" outside the Oceanview, they tried to get us to make reservations at Murano. I asked for reservations at Lawn Club and QSINE. When he offered Murano, I questioned him about children being allowed. He said, "hold on" ... made a phone call and said "yes, we can book your children".

I was surprised. We didn't bite though. 2/7 meals at a specialty restaurant was enough. Was not overly impressed with Lawn Club or QSINE. Next time we'll try Murano.

Is the dining experience (the length of time) really that much different than the MDR or any other speciality? I agree that if kid's can't sit through the MDR without having their meals rushed, they should not be at Murano.

My kids are 8 and 9. My fear would be that they would enjoy the meal so much, they would want to eat there every night:D

Edited by Queen of Oakville

OP asked a simple question regarding a possible age restriction in Murano. Why are so many people jumping all over this as to why it isn't a good idea? That wasn't the question. Do you know OP and his/her children? 10 and 12 yr olds aren't infants and I'm sure the OP has this special birthday dinner under control. I hope you have a great dinner Cruiser 50!

We did a family cruise this past summer and wanted to take the entire family to Murano Restaurant including 2 children, age 8 and 11. We asked before making reservations if this would be acceptable. We were told the children would be welcome as long as they did not disrupt any other diners (this was told to us very firmly).

We prepared the children telling them how special they were to experience this wonderful restaurant. They pulled out their best packed dressed, paid special attention to their hair and even wore their little plastic necklaces.

The staff in Murano's treated them as special guests - I could hardly believe how very wonderful the staff was even though I did expect good service ... I think they love children and perhaps miss their own (?). They gave the girls their menus first (ladies first); after we had time to look over the menu they offered my grandchildren grilled chicken (much appreciated by one of the children who said it was the "bomb") .... just watching their faces as the covers were lifted off all the plates at once was memorable. Trying some new foods prepared and served so beautifully was such a good experience for them (we learned to never say we do not like food - instead, smile and say it is very interesting).

There is nothing worse than wanting a quiet, lovely evening and having a child make a fuss. I have no patience for it! But, if properly prepared, this is a truly beautiful experience for a child who is ready for the experience. My grandchildren did not ask to go back to Murano's (they did ask to return to Quisine) but, it certainly added to their experiences and skill.

We have seen children in the specialty restaurants many times - I have never seen one who was not well behaved. Leads me to believe the children are ready and have been prepared about what to expect.

We have seen children in the specialty restaurants many times - I have never seen one who was not well behaved. Leads me to believe the children are ready and have been prepared about what to expect.

Unfortunately, there are those parents who think everything their children do is "cute" with little consideration for others. We have seen two children and their parents asked to leave Murano on the Solstice. The parents must have been embarrassed. I was pleased that they were asked to leave as most diners were paying a premium to have a relaxing and for some, a romantic dinner.

OP asked a simple question regarding a possible age restriction in Murano. Why are so many people jumping all over this as to why it isn't a good idea? That wasn't the question. Do you know OP and his/her children? 10 and 12 yr olds aren't infants and I'm sure the OP has this special birthday dinner under control. I hope you have a great dinner Cruiser 50!

You appear to be a relatively new poster, so you might not realize that nearly every thread tends to go off in circles that might not answer a question completely. That's the way Cruise Critic runs, so be prepared for lots and lots of opinions.

We will be cruising with our 10 yo dd and 12 yo ds on the Reflection March 26.

While on board I will be celebrating my bday and would like the children to join us. Is there an age requirement for this restaurant?

Our specialty restaurants no longer have any age restrictions.

At $50 pp on a cruise where we already dined in Blu, I didn't even take my wife to Murano................

You people who take your kids spending an additional $200 for food that is good but not as great as you could get on land are truly exceptional!!!!

Yeah...."you people" LOL :D

Just offering another data point on the length of the Murano dining experience. Last week on Eclipse, we were seated at 8:30 and (according to the time stamp on the picture I took of it) our Grand Marnier was served at 10:18. As aficionados, we had full plates of the cheese course (with some decent Port) and at one point we asked the server to slow the pace a bit.