How to "surprise" someone with a cruise! Suggestions?

I'm looking forward to how surprised he will be. I can only imagine!:)

I come from a large family, & many years ago we tried to decide on a very special anniversary gift for our parents' 50th.

My sister suggested an Alaska Inside Passage cruise with HAL.

Our parents were so thrilled, as they always wanted to visit Alaska.

They were secretly married during WW2 and never had a honeymoon.

(My dad was an US Army Air Corp cadet, & cadets were forbidden to marry in the early months following our entry into the war.)

I'm looking forward to how surprised he will be. I can only imagine!:)

I come from a large family, & many years ago we tried to decide on a very special anniversary gift for our parents' 50th.

My sister suggested an Alaska Inside Passage cruise with HAL.

Our parents were so thrilled, as they always wanted to visit Alaska.

They were secretly married during WW2 and never had a honeymoon.

(My dad was an US Army Air Corp cadet, & cadets were forbidden to marry in the early months following our entry into the war.)

Thank you for sharing your lovely story, I'm sure that would have been an amazing cruise for your family! Wow I didn't know that bit of history :) Thank you again!

I'll be sure to come back with an update and review :)

What surprises me is how can you post on this site about a surprise cruise and not have D/W or D/H notice it!!:confused:

That part would be easy for me the wonderful Mrs Gut never visits the site, the hard bit would be hiding the money from her.

That part would be easy for me the wonderful Mrs Gut never visits the site, the hard bit would be hiding the money from her.

I would love to surprise my D/W with a cruise, but I would also find it hard hiding the missing money, but the packing would be the really hard bit, she would notice at once if I was moving my clothes about, and it would be impossible to try packing hers. The only possible way I can see is to have a night away arranged that will turn into a cruise at the last minute.:)

It would be impossible to post about it, she would notice, even if I posted under a different name I think she would be suspicious.

Anyway I think a surprise cruise is a wonderful idea.

I would love to surprise my D/W with a cruise, but I would also find it hard hiding the missing money, but the packing would be the really hard bit, she would notice at once if I was moving my clothes about, and it would be impossible to try packing hers. The only possible way I can see is to have a night away arranged that will turn into a cruise at the last minute.:)

It would be impossible to post about it, she would notice, even if I posted under a different name I think she would be suspicious.

I think I could do the clothes with my daughters help.

The money no way.

Mrs Gut takes care of the household finances AND of my business accounts. Just can't se how I could do it. Fortunately she enjoys the planning as much as I do.

Last cruise almost every day she was saying "Ask on CC ABOUT ......"

Personally I do the surprise at boarding, I would do it just after purchase.

I surprised the 'Boss' yesterday, cancelled the Emerald Princess South Pacific cruise in November (she was not happy with that one) and booked one from LA on 16 November, Island Princess - Mexico, Central America, Panama Canal, with a little trip to Las Vegas and Grand Canyon pre cruise. Got a real good business class flight deal from Air NZ to complete the surprise, booked a BE Balcony on ship. No complaints thus far !!!

Although this one is a partial transit, we did do the full transit on Coral Princess from Fort Lauderdale to LA in 2005.

So guys keep on with the surprises. Remember, you cannot use that Visa card in heaven !!

Edited by NSWP

I surprised the 'Boss' yesterday, cancelled the Emerald Princess South Pacific cruise in November (she was not happy with that one) and booked one from LA on 16 November, Island Princess - Mexico, Central America, Panama Canal, with a little trip to Las Vegas and Grand Canyon pre cruise. Got a real good business class flight deal from Air NZ to complete the surprise, booked a BE Balcony on ship. No complaints thus far !!!

Although this one is a partial transit, we did do the full transit on Coral Princess from Fort Lauderdale to LA in 2005.

So guys keep on with the surprises. Remember, you cannot use that Visa card in heaven !!

Good work, I am sure she was happier with that one.:D

...with a little trip to Las Vegas and Grand Canyon pre cruise.

If I may offer a bit of advice about the Grand Canyon...make sure that you visit the South Rim. That is the most famous part of the park.

The North Rim is more primitive & takes longer to access. Am not sure it will even be open in November due to winter conditions.

Whatever you do, avoid the West Rim if you are expecting to visit the National Park. It is tempting because it is closer to Las Vegas. We found out the hard way.

It is located on Hualapi sovereign land. They charge a $40 per person fee (2009) before you can make any purchases including food, book any excursions, or have a walk on the famous glass walkway that juts out over the canyon. And you must first watch a mandatory propaganda film.

If I may offer a bit of advice about the Grand Canyon...make sure that you visit the South Rim. That is the most famous part of the park.

The North Rim is more primitive & takes longer to access. Am not sure it will even be open in November due to winter conditions.

Whatever you do, avoid the West Rim if you are expecting to visit the National Park. It is tempting because it is closer to Las Vegas. We found out the hard way.

It is located on Hualapi sovereign land. They charge a $40 per person fee (2009) before you can make any purchases including food, book any excursions, or have a walk on the famous glass walkway that juts out over the canyon. And you must first watch a mandatory propaganda film.

I have been to North rim and it is spectacular however we approached from the north (Utah) and the other Canyons rather than from Vegas in Nevada. So I would agree that the north rim would be too far unless you are travelling onto Bryce and Zion Canyons as well.

Thanks Rumple and Mic, Checked itinerary we go to South Rim- Grand Canyon, day trip from Vegas. It is a 4 day tour from LA, pre cruise on Lux Bus America, booked through Viator. I have used Viator before, pretty reliable tour operators. I am sure the 'boss will like it too, wink wink. !!

Edited by NSWP

I surprised my husband years ago when we drove to Sydney to visit the Art Gallery and the Archibald exhibition. The Tunnel hadn't been long opened and I insisted on driving over the Bridge to see if any ships were in ( we left from Darling Harbour not OPT) but I always liked the view from the bridge. We went to the Gallery then drove to Darling Harbour where Pacific Sky was anchored and I said very calmly " wish we were going on her" he groaned "yea me too " then I blurted out " we are!" . I have never been good at keeping secrets but managed this one . Was easy in those days parking at Wilsons and walking through Darling Harbour. There is only one problem now ...every time we drive into Sydney on the East ( most times go to the Shire- West) he looks at me hoping I will say "take the Bridge" and I have never said it again . You have inspired me to plan another suprise

I surprised my husband years ago when we drove to Sydney to visit the Art Gallery and the Archibald exhibition. The Tunnel hadn't been long opened and I insisted on driving over the Bridge to see if any ships were in ( we left from Darling Harbour not OPT) but I always liked the view from the bridge. We went to the Gallery then drove to Darling Harbour where Pacific Sky was anchored and I said very calmly " wish we were going on her" he groaned "yea me too " then I blurted out " we are!" . I have never been good at keeping secrets but managed this one . Was easy in those days parking at Wilsons and walking through Darling Harbour. There is only one problem now ...every time we drive into Sydney on the East ( most times go to the Shire- West) he looks at me hoping I will say "take the Bridge" and I have never said it again . You have inspired me to plan another suprise

I love it, what a great story.:D

D/W here :)

Yes yes yes ......would love a surprise cruise. But please let me have two weeks notice to enjoy the anticipation and pack my own bag. So when are we going?

What surprises me is how can you post on this site about a surprise cruise and not have D/W or D/H notice it!!:confused:

My partner enjoys cruising but takes no interest in cruise critic! I haven't added a countdown in my signature incase he glanced over and saw that, but he wouldn't go onto cruise critic for anything.

He's still none the wiser, almost a week!

Wow that's so exciting, what an amazing trip it will be! Don't forget to check out your visa requirements / ESTA eligibility!

That's a lovely gesture that you did, I'm sure your partner would have appreciated the effort especially as you knew she wasn't keen on the existing cruise.

I think surprises are some of the best things in life, and for my mini cruise even though it's not a long one, I know he'll appreciate the thought and effort that went into the planning.

Edited by LuckiePuris

What a great story, I love it! There's a lot of mini cruises these days, so maybe even a short surprise one might be an option!

Have a fantastic time on your upcoming cruise :)