Celebrity's New Ad Campaign : Answer the call of Modern Luxury

Andy

I saw the spot and was enchanted, especially because I thought Cpt. Tasos might have been the model for (if not the actual) Captain on the bow. I was struck by the idea that I was being invited away from my stressful, repetative day-to-day experiance to a play date with caring professionals who get to play for a living.

We aren't quite as young or wealthy as the desired demog, but we can take a major vacation every other year, and Celebrity has received our money in the last three. We love the ships (M class only so far), the balcony room (no suite needed) and breakfast in bed, great food, generally good company, and interesting itineraries.

The emphasis of the campaign so far is "come enjoy some time in our world" and the people are their strength. I was tickled by the s pot, wonder if that is Cap'n Tasos, and looking forward to our trip in May more than ever! Though, shouldn't I be calling Marco, and X calling Polo to guide me in their direction?

Discussion is attention, mission accomplished by Venable. :cool:

Your explanation makes the ad make sense and now that I "get" it it's cute.

BUT- if I didn't understand that "come enjoy some time in our world" part without your explanation then isn't it a fail?

(My initial reaction when I saw it was "Huh ??????" What was that?)

Edited by chamima

There is something to be said for that, especially because, although in their target market, and still a working professional, I am a little older than desired, and not as enamored with exclusivity (eg. Suites, Aqua, etc). And I am already planning a trip, so it isn't an increase in revenue.

On the other hand, perhaps those who are so nose-to-the-grindstone have to be told that they are being invited out to play NEED the invite even more!

How to reach them? Hmmmm....social media? Forums?;)

When the posts are from people who already cruise on Celebrity and most of them think it's not good I would say it's a big fail.

Wait, so you're telling me that people who are familiar with the product may choose to NOT sail with Celebrity because they don't like the advertising? ok.

Wait, so you're telling me that people who are familiar with the product may choose to NOT sail with Celebrity because they don't like the advertising? ok.

Really, is that how you would interpret what I said? People on these boards already sail with Celebrity and know the product. If they can't get anything out of these ads and think they are terrible how are people who don't have a clue supposed to?

I think that the message that is trying to be conveyed is that those who already enjoy Celebrity and are familiar with the product find that the commercial doesn't do the line justice. If I never sailed on Celebrity before this commercial would not compel me to do so. I have never sailed on NCL. I'm not a fan of NCL (free style) but their commercials capture my attention and give me pause to consider them when researching a cruise.

Really, is that how you would interpret what I said? People on these boards already sail with Celebrity and know the product. If they can't get anything out of these ads and think they are terrible how are people who don't have a clue supposed to?

Frankly, I'd suggest that for many of the ad haters there is a clear confirmation bias at play - they decided long ago that "Modern Luxury" is ridiculous and each subsequent use of the concept only confirms their decision. The ensuing uprising by the lynch mob further supports their case.

I wasn't aware that there was only one way to measure a successful ad campaign...that being pleasing ALL of your loyal followers. I also wasn't aware that a successful ad campaign was not allowed to have some mystique in the viewers defining the ad. How many of you have watched an Apple ad in its infancy and not had a clue what it was about until the last 5 seconds where the Apple logo shows? I think they have done okay. So what you are saying is that Celebrity is not allowed to use the tag of Modern Luxury because those of you loyal Elite members who sail in Aqua cabins have lost your water, and that means it is no longer qualifies to use that marketing ploy? WOW!

Frankly, I'd suggest that for many of the ad haters there is a clear confirmation bias at play - they decided long ago that "Modern Luxury" is ridiculous and each subsequent use of the concept only confirms their decision. The ensuing uprising by the lynch mob further supports their case.

What a bunch of nonsense. I've seen plenty of their ads using the words Modern Luxury that I thought were good ads. I just happen to think this one is a stinker. I'm so biased, I have 12 weeks booked on Celebrity. How about you?

Edited by Ma Bell

I'd venture to say it's a fail because it doesn't motivate people who are familiar with the product to add a cruise so we are not the target...you know the regulars who drain them of too many perks and know that the free BBB is really rolled into the price so it's not really free.

They're targeting the uninformed, novice cruiser to expand their customer base. It's too early to tell if it worked with that group. But with the other cruise lines currently advertising sales and big discounts, it's hard to believe a generic ad would garner their attention as quickly.

At least Celebrity is trying a different spin. Recent cruise commercials from NCL, Carnival and Princess are quite similar. Disney as well except kids are included. The adults look to be 30-40 somethings so I guess those lines aren't after experienced cruisers either. Looks as if Viking River Cruises wants the "over 50 crowd" in the mix.

Edited by Rob the Cruiser

Has anyone shown this ad to their friends/family who don't view cruising as a vacation choice or cruise with other lines and asked if the ad has changed their mind, even a little about cruising or Celebrity? If the goal of the ad is to get non-cruisers or non-celebrity cruisers to pick celebrity than a positive response will show the ad is working. People who already cruise on celebrity, likely don't need an ad to have them book a cruise with Celebrity.

I think feedback from the above would be far more telling of the advertisement campaign then Celebrity cruisers arguing over if it is a good or bad ad when the ad isn't aimed at those already hooked on Celebrity.

Sadly, you may have a point. I think much of the negativity is the result of the perceived ongoing chipping away by Celebrity many of the things that made them different from the pack in the first place

On the the other side of the coin however, are those who tend to think that everything that Celebrity does is just peachy,& as a result, put down anyone who dares to disagree with a Celebrity decision.

As a long time Celebrity cruiser who was usually in the pro Celebrity camp in the past, I find that is less & less the case recently. :( I do know that whenver I see an ad for a cruise line, any cruise line, the image of a ship at sea always peaked my interest. This ad does nothing for me.

Edited by richsea

No, I just don't get the ad...I don't understand it and I don't see anything that would entice someone to now think about Celebrity Cruises. The only thing left with me is that I can save up to $2350 if I call and the only reason I remember that is I was focused on the ad....had I seen it on TV, I would have mentally tuned out in the first 5-10 seconds. There's no bias one way or the other.

Edited by ghstudio

I'll say that I do NOT hate the new ads. I hated "X the Rules" because 1) it could easily be misconstrued as obscene and 2) I had no desire to cruise with people if they were attracted to a cruise where they could flaunt the rules.

I merely think this new ad campaign rates a big "HUH? What was that about?" and will not be effective at attracting new customers. IMO the money would be much more effectively spent on improving the website.

My 0.02

No, I just don't get the ad...I don't understand it and I don't see anything that would entice someone to now think about Celebrity Cruises. The only thing left with me is that I can save up to $2350 if I call and the only reason I remember that is I was focused on the ad....had I seen it on TV, I would have mentally tuned out in the first 5-10 seconds. There's no bias one way or the other.

I'll say that I do NOT hate the new ads. I hated "X the Rules" because 1) it could easily be misconstrued as obscene and 2) I had no desire to cruise with people if they were attracted to a cruise where they could flaunt the rules.

I merely think this new ad campaign rates a big "HUH? What was that about?" and will not be effective at attracting new customers. IMO the money would be much more effectively spent on improving the website.

My 0.02

Ditto.

I am currently sitting in my kitchen, on the computer, with the television on behind me.

An ad just came up with a Steel drum band playing and a young man singing "It's better, better in the Bahamas" and I'm thinking "It sure is" "Wish I was going right now".

THAT'S an ad!

Ditto.

I am currently sitting in my kitchen, on the computer, with the television on behind me.

An ad just came up with a Steel drum band playing and a young man singing "It's better, better in the Bahamas" and I'm thinking "It sure is" "Wish I was going right now".

THAT'S an ad!

But an ad for who? Certainly not for me - I despise steel drum bands. I'm pretty sure the message Celebrity is broadcasting is "this is NOT your grandmothers cruise!". Believe it or not, I GET the modern luxury idea - it says to me, this is a holiday involving modern music, updated food service, entertainment geared to a younger crowd, all in really nice modern decor with modern facilities and without belly flop contests and wet tshirt contests. And after decades of refusing to cruise, I took the bait - and I liked what they delivered.

But an ad for who? Certainly not for me - I despise steel drum bands. I'm pretty sure the message Celebrity is broadcasting is "this is NOT your grandmothers cruise!". Believe it or not, I GET the modern luxury idea - it says to me, this is a holiday involving modern music, updated food service, entertainment geared to a younger crowd, all in really nice modern decor with modern facilities and without belly flop contests and wet tshirt contests. And after decades of refusing to cruise, I took the bait - and I liked what they delivered.

Not sure how an ad is suddenly going to transform everything to modern luxury overnight. Same ships, food etc as last month. Modern luxury is as ambiguous as evening chic. JMHO

I may go back and watch the ad again because I do like it, and I don't see references to modern luxury in it as much as I see used it in the unpolished interview, which was not much of a groomed dialog. I think a lot of training is needed there for speaking to the press sorry to say.

Here's my rub with I don't call it luxury i call it modern luxury... The idea of modern luxury (no caps to reference it as a brand trademark) has been very hard to envision from the start yet once on board it became associated with unpleasant experiences for a segment of guests who have continued on a long term basis to transition along with Celebrity.

I see the appearance of this ad reaching a group of professionals who will want to cruise with this line and who will have a good time once on board like a vast group of many of us.

I'd 'feel' better if those who are responsible for this campaign and it's talking points used descriptive words that describe what they are trying to achieve.

I think Perlo missed that when she had the opportunity. The word modern has not been associated with much that can be fathomed. If they defined what the line has to offer as contemporary and sophisticated, there may be a better association, and it may be more identifiable to a larger, more intelligent and more willing group.

( did she really say more than once we got rid of formal nights... Got rid of? Who coaches her public speaking efforts... Are there many other ways to say the same thing that sounds like it wasn't the plague that was eradicated???)

Edited by MizDemeanor

I just got off the Summit yesterday and they showed us the commercial one evening in the Celebrity Theatre before a show. I consider myself a loyal Celebrity cruiser, but did not like it at all. There was nothing that showed me what modern luxury was calling me to. Ironically, I watched a two couples frolicking on the beach in St. Lucia and told them they should be the footage for the Celebrity commercial. They said they hated it too and certainly didn't think it would convince anyone, loyal or newbies, to cruise with Celebrity. I think they need a new ad agency!

I may go back and watch the ad again because I do like it, and I don't see references to modern luxury in it as much as I see used it in the unpolished interview, which was not much of a groomed dialog. I think a lot of training is needed there for speaking to the press sorry to say.

Here's my rub with I don't call it luxury i call it modern luxury... The idea of modern luxury (no caps to reference it as a brand trademark) has been very hard to envision from the start yet once on board it became associated with unpleasant experiences for a segment of guests who have continued on a long term basis to transition along with Celebrity.

I see the appearance of this ad reaching a group of professionals who will want to cruise with this line and who will have a good time once on board like a vast group of many of us.

I'd 'feel' better if those who are responsible for this campaign and it's talking points used descriptive words that describe what they are trying to achieve.

I think Perlo missed that when she had the opportunity. The word modern has not been associated with much that can be fathomed. If they defined what the line has to offer as contemporary and sophisticated, there may be a better association, and it may be more identifiable to a larger, more intelligent and more willing group.

( did she really say more than once we got rid of formal nights... Got rid of? Who coaches her public speaking efforts... Are there many other ways to say the same thing that sounds like it wasn't the plague that was eradicated???)

What was interesting was she said that was the first thing she wanted to do when she took over and she went to great pains to say they were not going to get rid of them when she was questioned on her interview for these boards.

I think a lot of things that have been done along the way have been good but it really seems to me that recently they really don't know what they are doing. Too many games with promotions and pricing, too many "activities" that are nothing but sales pitches and some preliminary designs for the new Edge Class that seem anything but luxury of any kind.

Hard surfaces in cabins that make them noisy, uncomfortable looking furniture, sinks in the cabin and glass doors on the bathroom are things that most people don't like much.

I just got off the Summit yesterday and they showed us the commercial one evening in the Celebrity Theatre before a show. I consider myself a loyal Celebrity cruiser, but did not like it at all. There was nothing that showed me what modern luxury was calling me to. Ironically, I watched a two couples frolicking on the beach in St. Lucia and told them they should be the footage for the Celebrity commercial. They said they hated it too and certainly didn't think it would convince anyone, loyal or newbies, to cruise with Celebrity. I think they need a new ad agency!

I asked a friend of mine, who isn't a cruiser, prefers all inclusives, what he thought of the ad and if it would make him consider booking a cruise with Celebrity.

His response - the ad is stupid and no he would not book a Celebrity cruise based on this ad.