Celebrity's New Ad Campaign : Answer the call of Modern Luxury

Andy

But how does referencing an old swimming pool game, marco polo, excite, entice the 30 somethings into cruising on X?

30-something here. As I said in a previous post, it definitely made me think of summer vacation, which is definitely a good thing when you're trying to advertise a cruise line. I also liked the concept of people toiling in offices or exercising in a gym hearing the siren call of vacation.

However, felt the execution was poor for two reasons: 1. it made me think of pools full of screaming children, which is exactly what I DON'T want out of a vacation; and 2. the images of the cruise experience were not particularly enticing. For instance, instead of showing someone luxuriating in the Persian Gardens or actually getting a massage, they showed an employee setting up a spa table. Instead of showing a patron relaxing on the lawn with a drink,they focused on an employee pouring one. The Solstice class ships are gorgeous, the ports of call are gorgeous, there are plenty of fabulous things to do on board - why show employees doing mundane things if you're trying to lure customers away from their own mundane jobs and activities?

It's obvious, I'm way too old, and so far out of the loop. That ad went over my head. I have never heard of the pool game marco polo. It's a new one on me.

I'm in my late 30s and have also never heard of this pool game. When I think of Marco Polo, I think of the explorer.

Just saw the ad on HGTV.

It's definitely aimed at 30 somethings as no one in it (other than Milos) is any older than that.

I get the Marco Polo idea (my kids played the game) but if the poster before me doesn't relate then that's a big problem as they are in the age range targeted.

In the article Ms. Lutoff-Perlo said she wants to get away from the typical cruise ship ad that shows you what you can expect on a cruise and she certainly succeeded there! (Not necessarily a good hing.)

That's a great link...and I concur with "poor celebrity". We don't provide luxury, we provide modern luxury...huh? Modern luxury is less than luxury...huh?

The ads are focused on a demographic, many of which don't understand the "marco polo" game yet that's their major theme? I really don't get this ad campaign and the myopic (I tend to use that word a lot talking about celebrity) focus on a demographic that isn't big enough to fill their ships anyway. Running an ad campaign that doesn't resonate at all with the folks who have the time (and money) to buy the cabins on their longer cruises just seems crazy....no, actually it's insulting because it says either they take us for granted or they don't care.

The article/interview, to me, reinforces my belief that HQ is just out of touch with their real customers. Fortunately, Celebrity has some wonderful folks on their ships who have not lost focus on providing a wonderful cruise.....despite HQ's efforts.

Edited by ghstudio

I think many of you are over-thinking this commercial. I liked it.

My first time seeing it, my head was down and I was working on the computer. I heard the gentle sounds of Marco and then Polo. Rights away my head perked up to see what this was. I am 62 and my summers are spent either around our pool or at lakeside cottages. For the last 30 yrs. children have played Marco Polo. It is probably the most played pool game for children.

Way too much time is spent here finding another thing that Celebrity is not good at. Really! The glass is half full, or the glass is half empty, which are you?

My first time seeing it, my head was down and I was working on the computer. I heard the gentle sounds of Marco and then Polo. Rights away my head perked up to see what this was. I am 62 and my summers are spent either around our pool or at lakeside cottages. For the last 30 yrs. children have played Marco Polo. It is probably the most played pool game for children.

Way too much time is spent here finding another thing that Celebrity is not good at. Really! The glass is half full, or the glass is half empty, which are you?

My glass is always at least half full and usually much more. Does that mean I have to agree with everything Celebrity is doing? I've always been one of Celebrity's biggest supporters and that's exactly why I will speak up when I think they are heading down the wrong road. If I didn't care I wouldn't bother. It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

I actually asked my kids, both bulls eye within the target audience who could easily book suites and neither had any clue about any game like Marco Polo. They thought I was nuts.

Go in to Google and type in 'most popular swimming pool games' and you will see time and time again Marco Polo listed.

I'm not questioning it being a popular game (although I personally have never heard of it), but irrespective of it being popular somewhere, my comment is that the ad clearly isn't going to resonate with some who are smack in the middle of the target audience. That's a major failure for an advertising agency.

Just saw the ad on HGTV.

It's definitely aimed at 30 somethings as no one in it (other than Milos) is any older than that.

I get the Marco Polo idea (my kids played the game) but if the poster before me doesn't relate then that's a big problem as they are in the age range targeted.

In the article Ms. Lutoff-Perlo said she wants to get away from the typical cruise ship ad that shows you what you can expect on a cruise and she certainly succeeded there! (Not necessarily a good hing.)

This is actually a smart idea. Since Celebrity keeps eliminating amenities and perks so often that they can't even keep up with the website updates, how would anyone including the C.E.O even know what to expect on a Celebrity cruise?

This is actually a smart idea. Since Celebrity keeps eliminating amenities and perks so often that they can't even keep up with the website updates, how would anyone including the C.E.O even know what to expect on a Celebrity cruise?

First I laughed at your comment and then, on second thought, wondered if that's actually her intent. :confused: :( :(

After getting another email this morning :

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

"THIS WEEKEND ONLY,

$25 GETS YOU OUR

BEST OFFER EVER.

Dear XXXXXX,

It's our best offer ever—choose two free perks for a savings of

up to $2,150* when you join us on almost any cruise.

And, you can get started with just a $25 deposit.

For even more savings of up to $3,130*, get all four perks

when you book a Suite Class stateroom.

Perks include: Classic Beverage Package,

Unlimited Internet Package, Prepaid Tips, $150 to spend on board."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am glad that I stopped trying to deal with Celebrity or my clients and retired from the business.. LOL

bosco

When Lisa said: "We don't provide luxury, we provide modern luxury" she meant decrease in amenities....eliminating daily water in AQ is not very modern or luxury.:rolleyes:

Thanks!!! I was wondering what the difference was between non-luxury, luxury and Celebrity's Modern Luxury. Now I understand! :)

Trouble ahead...explanation is really way out there!

.X was fine til they started Royalizing it...not in a good way.

Can one CEO really ruin a cruise line..what about the bd of directors or stocholders..?

Can one CEO really ruin a cruise line..what about the bd of directors or stocholders..?

CEO's usually do their damage then "resign" after the damage is done. S.O.P. in the corporate world. The powers that put the CEO in that position almost never admit that it was their error.

bosco

The lines are ALL trying the same things. It's a hot mess out there and there are no winners. Including the cruise guest...or maybe particularly the cruise guest.

Fuel prices when down a while ago, amenities diminished and more so at the time the fuel prices went down. Nothing more was given, nothing more improved.

Airlines and airfares still stink like all get out. Schedules diminished and it costs near a grand to get to MIA or FLL to not have to worry about missing the ship.

Luxury/Modern Luxury is not without cost.

The market now is way down. It's been dicey for a couple of years now.

Its simpler to stay home than to deal with transportation, airlines or cruise lines, disappointments, costs, and missed expectations.

Back to basics.

:rolleyes:

Edited by MizDemeanor

Generally speaking, when the stock market falls this much worldwide, folks reel in on their discretionary income....and they don't book cruises. I predict that Celebrity is going to have a real booking problem this quarter, probably extending into next quarter as well as a number of cancellations just before final payment. This ad campaign is really mis-timed and this is a time when celebrity should be figuring out how to convince their past guests, their captain's club members to enjoy another cruise.....and not make changes that save little but cause someone to say...nah...let's wait and see what else comes up. The $25 deposit is one step...but you know, I'm more focused on the total price and what I get for my money. I do feel like a number more than a valued customer and these ads don't change that feeling...if anything they tell me I really am not wanted. Maybe it's just me....but I doubt it.

Edited by ghstudio