Celebrity's New Ad Campaign : Answer the call of Modern Luxury

Andy

If your Audi is one of the effected ones try selling it and see how much of a VW problem it is. My neighbor is going through this right now, he is losing his butt trying to sell a 2013 or 14 Q7 that he almost can't give away. Value has plummeted. The sad part is that he had it sold on ebay at exactly the same time that Audi was included in the scandal and the buyer backed out.

Anyway, I'll get off that topic as it's not really the main idea here. Just a side thought.

I can imagine it being a probelm for the Diesel owners. Luckily, my A3 is TFSI, not TDI, so it shouldn't affect me. That's too bad for your neighbor, to have problems due to the bad practices of the company. Hopefully it works out for him. Thanks for the info.

And yes, back to the topic, I hope that Celebrity does deliver on future promises and doesn't cheapen the product under this guise of "Modern Luxury". I took my first X cruise at age 25, and am patiently awaiting my next sailing at age 29, so I guess I could be considered part of the demographic they are after. It's been a few years since I've sailed X, so I hope it's what I remember it to be. As for the ad campaign, not sure how a "Marco Polo" theme is going to work. I'll have to wait until I'm home from work to watch the video.

Ok, so what's up with Audi? I've had an Audi for about a year now and I love the car and the company. Something I should know about?

It has more to do with VW and the parent company but like you we have two Audi's in our garage and they're the best cars that I have owned. Better than anything Detroit has ever turned out.;)

As far as the new marketing campaign from X. Just marketing. I have never thought of Celebrity as luxury. Nice yes but never luxury. A small step above some of the other mass market lines.

Edited by cruisingator2

Here is another press release on it.

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Celebrity-to-stress-quality-with-Marco-Polo-game-ads

Check out this part;

The ads will make it clear that Celebrity is a premium product worth paying more for, she said. “It will have messaging in it that is very overt,” she said.

“We will tell people, ‘This is what we do, these are the awards we have been given, these are the accolades we have, and so for that you should want to cruise with us and expect to pay more when you do cruise with us.'"

She said the goal is to free Celebrity from the “mud” of price-focused competition. “We need to articulate our brand so that when people see it, they get it,” she said.

Here is another press release on it.

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Celebrity-to-stress-quality-with-Marco-Polo-game-ads

Check out this part;

The ads will make it clear that Celebrity is a premium product worth paying more for, she said. “It will have messaging in it that is very overt,” she said.

“We will tell people, ‘This is what we do, these are the awards we have been given, these are the accolades we have, and so for that you should want to cruise with us and expect to pay more when you do cruise with us.'"

She said the goal is to free Celebrity from the “mud” of price-focused competition. “We need to articulate our brand so that when people see it, they get it,” she said.

I give Lisa credit for understanding that if you just compete on price, it's a death spiral. I admire her honesty that she is focused on paying a higher price for Celebrity. Personally, I think the ships deserve a higher price (we could debate higher, of course). I have trouble with "modern luxury" though because I don't think Celebrity provides luxury...I think celebrity would like future passengers to think that since they are paying more, they will, by definition, get more luxury...and that's where I go tilt. I do think Celebrity gives us a better performance vs price than their immediate competitors.

No Lisa..paying more doesn't translate to luxury by itself....you have to have those pillow menus, the daily water, the toiletries, the well seasoned food and so on....that's the gaping hole in the marketing strategy....you have to deliver what you're marketing.

Edited by ghstudio

No Lisa..paying more doesn't translate to luxury by itself....you have to have those pillow menus, the daily water, the toiletries, the well seasoned food and so on....that's the gaping hole in the marketing strategy....you have to deliver what you're marketing.

Agreed. Luxury means not having to worry about "for-fee" venues on the ship and nickel and diming. Luxury is not cutbacks and money saving measures. Luxury is not a $5 fee for room service between 11 pm and 6 am...

Hi Darcie,

I totally agree that the website should be a major priority, if not the top priority in any monies spent by Celebrity. As I've said for years, they must be losing tons of revenue/profits with a weak website. If they were able to offer much improved content, easier navigation, along with the ability to effectively research and book items such as Cruises (go figure !)... along with onboard items such as Excursions & Specialty Dining for starters....I'd surely think any monies spent would pay for itself in short order. IMO, as long as they have the right folks on the website team, it's money well spent.

With that said, I'm confident that either an updated website, or, perhaps a new website is coming soon. I've tried to obtain additional information, but have been unsuccessful so far. I'm not giving up :)

Andy, so what is Accenture's role? I thought they were going to work on the technology side.

Thanks

Sometimes in advertising more is less. I used to love the old Royal Caribbean commercials -- the ones showing shots of the ship, activities, ports. No dialog, just Iggy Pop's "Lust for Life" playing in the background. Got to the point that, whenever I heard that song, I wanted to run right out and book a cruise! :cool:

Haven't seen this particular X commercial. Or, if I did, I muted the TV and wandered off to the kitchen...:rolleyes:

The ads most likely entice new customers but, after 24 Celebrity cruises beginning with the Horizon in 1993, modern or not, luxury no longer defines the average Celebrity cruise.

As our budget has allowed us to move up over the years...oceanview, balcony, Concierge Class, Aqua Class and Sky Suites (before they were part of Suite Class), many of the perks we were willing to spend more money for were either eliminated, decreased in quality, or now available for a fee. Our last AQ European cruise on the Silhouette this past September was no where near the same dining experience as our first AQ sailing on her in 2013. But we did get two bottles of water every day!!!

I've said this many times....the free booze, free gratuities, and OBC's Celebrity now uses to fill the ships have come at a price. Whether it be much high fares to basicall pay for the freebies, or charging fees for what used to be included, their product has definitely been redefined. Maybe adding the word "Modern" makes the new product acceptable but, in my opinion, it is no longer luxurious.

As of today, I don't think increase in pricing for X cruise equals to a paid level of " Modern Luxury". So it is hard to trust Celebrity that is amenities you have booked and paid for is what you will receive when you get on the ship.

I feel hot air is coming from this Ad..:rolleyes:

Hi Everyone

Hope this works.... I'm using my phone at the moment.

Here's a link to one of the TV ads. Sorry to say, but I'm not loving this particular ad. Not getting the Marco Polo emphasis. Do you agree ?

https://amp.twimg.com/v/6c5fc045-9cc8-44c1-8804-40f10d7e9287

Maybe it's just me, but Celebrity's ships are absolutely gorgeous. I'd rather see the $$$ spent, delivering that message.

Curious to see Your thoughts.

Edited by Host Andy

Host Andy:

I concur. What a piece of garbage.

Nothing about the physical attributes of the S Class, no pictures of the rooms or the dining options.

Further, there is nothing in this video that relates to the CEO's comments about pricing Celebrity above the mass lines. I am in Canada. All weekend on Home and Garden TV were repetitive ads from Princess and Oceania that were frankly awesome. I get that the cruise lines will be missing many Canadians due to the low dollar. If this Celebrity ad is in competition with the ads noted earlier, failure Celebrity.

Given the very recent report from a poster on this site that they love the Eclipse (suite), but that there are many men in short shorts eating in the buffet - does NOT equate to modern luxury.

Too late Celebrity

ABoatNerd

Hi Everyone

Hope this works.... I'm using my phone at the moment.

Here's a link to one of the TV ads. Sorry to say, but I'm not loving this particular ad. Not getting the Marco Polo emphasis. Do you agree ?

https://amp.twimg.com/v/6c5fc045-9cc8-44c1-8804-40f10d7e9287

Maybe it's just me, but Celebrity's ships are absolutely gorgeous. I'd rather see the $$$ spent, delivering that message.

Curious to see Your thoughts.

OMG!!! :eek:

That ad says NOTHING.

They don't even follow up the "marco" .... "polo" with something like "Celebrity is calling you".

The ad tells you nothing about a cruise - it will join those that we watch and then say "Just what did that have to do with the product?????"

Andy,

Thankx for sharing the information and your insights. I agree with most of the thread posters. After spending over 40 years in marketing, I've always believed it's not what you know about your company but what the consumer thinks that is important.

You can't over promise and under deliver. The CEO is setting herself up for failure IMHO because the product isn't really delivering on the selling proposition promised to established customers. When the new, hip, younger target responds to the ad (if they do) they will be sorely disappointed. To begin with, only the old, unwanted consumers understand the Marco Polo reference.

Celebrity recently has begun pricing their cabins closer to the next higher luxury lines while taking away perks they used to include. The "free" perk's costs are now rolled into the pricing.

That's caused me and countless others to begin looking at Azamara, Oceania and now Viking Ocean because if I'm going to pay the price, I want their luxury.

As an RCL stock holder I hope she gets it right. Only time will be the judge of that though.

If a ship's officer standing on the prow doing a Leonardo DiCaprio as he calls out "Marco" does anything to provide "Modern Luxury" I will be very surprised.

I would rather they used a few ads from 15 years ago and brought back "Exceeding Expectations" which they did manage to accomplish.

bosco

One more problem....actually a big problem if the ad does draw the target audience to the ships....the entertainment and evening life on board...and I hate to say it, but the demographics of us, the others, the unwashed, unwanted, presumably less spending older folks on board. I'm not sure how to tackle all of that...but I don't get the big bucks.

Luxury is not a disk jockey...not at the pool, not at the various venues. Luxury is the live music in the specialty restaurants, even the MDR...and certainly at the pool. Imagine going to a fine restaurant in your home town and having a Disk Jockey entertaining...maybe at a fancy hamburger place, but not a good adult restaurant. Luxury is not having $10 T shirts on sale or the grand brown diamond unveiling as an activity..and believe it or not, Park West is not a luxury event...in fact, IMHO, it cheapens the cruise.

The "younger, affluent" group like to party with other "young, affluent" folks. That's a transition problem for celebrity because that's not what they are going to find on board...they are going to find walkers, wheelchairs, oxygen and the many of us who look far older than we feel. Of course Celebrity tried to create this new hip, up-beat environment on-board with the loud music everywhere...and we know how well that went over with most.

It's the total product that has to match the "hook" for folks to go home and say...wow, that was great...loved every minute of my Celebrity Cruise...the entertainment, dancing, nightlife. That's a tough transition...and celebrity can't, despite HQ's try, just change the on-board experience overnight.

Finally, the ads may bring folks in...but then Celebrities myopia focus on Suites gets in the way. All the cuts to the "common folk" deminish the "luxury"...the flowers, the water...the little things that make your cruise special. I'm surprised that HQ hasn't figured this out and started to flesh out why someone should really want to pay extra for Concierge or pay the extra for aqua.

Marketing is a total package....I don't think Celebrity has quite figured that out.

Edited by ghstudio

I don't get this short ad at all, but maybe it fits the overall campaign. Why do I care about Marco Polo? I think the only message of this ad may be brand recognition... The teaser at the end of saving up to $21xx doesn't resonate with me either.

I think we need to see all the ads in the campaign to really comment...but from this teaser, I haven't a clue what the ad agency is trying to say.

OMG you won't believe this but the cruise ship named Marco Polo ran aground twice. The last time was a little over a year ago on the Norwegian coast.. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/nov/1/cruise-ship-marco-polo-runs-aground-norwegian-coas/

Maybe that's the destiny of Celebrity's Marco Polo ad campaign? :D That's just too funny.

One more problem....actually a big problem if the ad does draw the target audience to the ships....the entertainment and evening life on board...and I hate to say it, but the demographics of us, the others, the unwashed, unwanted, presumably less spending older folks on board. I'm not sure how to tackle all of that...but I don't get the big bucks.

Luxury is not a disk jockey...not at the pool, not at the various venues. Luxury is the live music in the specialty restaurants, even the MDR...and certainly at the pool. Imagine going to a fine restaurant in your home town and having a Disk Jockey entertaining...maybe at a fancy hamburger place, but not a good adult restaurant. Luxury is not having $10 T shirts on sale or the grand brown diamond unveiling as an activity..and believe it or not, Park West is not a luxury event...in fact, IMHO, it cheapens the cruise.

The "younger, affluent" group like to party with other "young, affluent" folks. That's a transition problem for celebrity because that's not what they are going to find on board...they are going to find walkers, wheelchairs, oxygen and the many of us who look far older than we feel. Of course Celebrity tried to create this new hip, up-beat environment on-board with the loud music everywhere...and we know how well that went over with most.

It's the total product that has to match the "hook" for folks to go home and say...wow, that was great...loved every minute of my Celebrity Cruise...the entertainment, dancing, nightlife. That's a tough transition...and celebrity can't, despite HQ's try, just change the on-board experience overnight.

Finally, the ads may bring folks in...but then Celebrities myopia focus on Suites gets in the way. All the cuts to the "common folk" deminish the "luxury"...the flowers, the water...the little things that make your cruise special. I'm surprised that HQ hasn't figured this out and started to flesh out why someone should really want to pay extra for Concierge or pay the extra for aqua.

Marketing is a total package....I don't think Celebrity has quite figured that out.

YES! Nothing else need be added...

Thanks for saying "Thanks" C-Dragons. Much appreciated !

The use of real people is great. Putting Accenture on board is great. Certainly hope that somebody makes it so the dang website works and customer service for handling reservations is also great. Too many people get turned off before they get on board.

The on board handling of things is generally excellent. Even gave my moose a SeaPass last cruise. Plus dealt with a major bank fiasco with credit cards in free use of satphone for over 2 hours. Celebrity staff work hard and truly in general care a lot.

Sorry but I disagree. I think the commercial is smart and eye catching, making you wonder what the Marco Polo is!!!

Unfortunately, I can no longer say that Celebrity is "modern luxury", and it is sad to say that my next cruise with X (next weekend) will be my last. We are elite plus and worked hard to get to that status, but now the bad is out weighing the good.

Well that ad is a lot about nothing. It doesn't draw my attention, excite me or compel to further inquire about the cruise line. The slogan is good but I just don't want to answer that call the way it's being portrayed . This ad makes the Princess "Come Back New" ads look good. I'm new to Celebrity so I don't miss the old days, but to tell you the truth for what they offer, they have a hell of a nerve to think their product is worth more than the other mass market lines. Like others have said sipping Champaign or standing in a buffet line while shlepping bags around isn't modern of luxurious. I guess they are hopping that by raising prices passenger will be psychologically fooled into thinking they are purchasing a luxury experience.

Some have hit the nail on the head....the ad will trigger some folks to go to the website....the folks that they are targeting are web/internet centric. They expect web sites to work...they expect itinerary maps to map the cruise they are shown for and simple things like that. Once they book, they will encounter the backend of the web site that is really poor....and after the first "the record is in use, come back in 20 minutes", those folks will be out the door thinking that maybe they bought into "prehistoric luxury".

Finally, Celebrity has to deliver what their ads and web site "promise"....modern luxury. Folks...that's not a crowded buffet when boarding; it's not minimally seasoned food; it's not the missing pillow menus, the missing toiletries and so on.

Advertising brings people "into the store"....then it's up to the store to close the deal and create a repeat customer. Oh wait...celebrity doesn't really want repeat customers because they tend to spend less....

I wish them luck....

Exactly! I'm senior management for a small but global niche IT consulting firm. So many of my colleagues know I cruise Celebrity because I'm off cruising for 20-40 days a year, and I can't keep track of the dozens who've told me that after trying to even look at cruises on the website and get pricing, they gave up.

Believe me, I get ragged constantly for cruising with a "dinosaur" cruiseline (the term often used) who still hasn't even stepped a toe into 21st Century technology with shoreside operations. :mad: I particularly catch flak because at 63, I am by 12 years the oldest in the company, and am one of the few non-techies :rolleyes:, and my colleagues are precisely the demographic that X is targeting: mid 30s to 50, with per person incomes averaging $140K per year. These folks want to click and buy, period. They will, and do, spend crazy money. And they are ALL eagerly awaiting Sir Richard Branson's entry into the cruise world. Watch out, Celebrity. :eek: