Dressing for Elegant Night

fedexretiree

We are leaving on the Carnival Magic out of Galveston and my husband is wanting to limit the clothes that he takes. Can you wear jeans and a polo shirt for Elegant Night or will you be turned away at the MDR?

Or, should he wear dress pants and a polo shirt for Elegant Night?

From Carnival's FAQ's:

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted for both men and women: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, t-shirts, sportswear, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

We are leaving on the Carnival Magic out of Galveston and my husband is wanting to limit the clothes that he takes. Can you wear jeans and a polo shirt for Elegant Night or will you be turned away at the MDR?

Or, should he wear dress pants and a polo shirt for Elegant Night?

People who say you will not be turned away, have no idea whether its true or not. There have been posts on here where people have been turned away, however, the majority get away with it even though it is listed as not allowed.

Bottom line is you can chance it, you may get in, or you could be turned away.

Based on the majority of posts, you will probably be okay, but if you get turned away, you will have to eat somewhere else. Be prepared for either.

People who say you will not be turned away, have no idea whether its true or not. There have been posts on here where people have been turned away, however, the majority get away with it even though it is listed as not allowed.

Based on the majority of posts, you will probably be okay, but if you get turned away, you will have to eat somewhere else. Be prepared for either.

^^^This

After a lot of cruises, my husband refuses to get dressed up anymore. He packs khakis and a long sleeved shirt. But you will see polos. And you will see jeans. My dh just doesn't want to be in the 1% that gets turned away for wearing jeans.

My husband used to get around the whole jeans question by wearing black jeans. I thought that when sailing out of Galveston,Texas, the jeans issue was a non starter since many many guys there wear them as dress slacks!

I'd not worry about it. The only person I've ever seen turned away from dinner was some guy in shorts and sandals on elegant night!

I've seen people turned away on two occasions on the Pride. Both of the people I saw were wearing "jeans" on Elegant Night. Another option you have is that you can always go to the Lido.

I don't believe you that they were turned away for jeans. Maybe something else, but not jeans.

We have been on the Pride 4 times since Oct 2013 and we have seen jeans, men wearing hats and shorts. Standards have changed since our first cruise in 2001. Is the change good or bad that is up for everyone to decide, but for us we like the formal nights of the past.

We've just completed our 25th Carnival cruise, most of those from Galveston and here's what we see.

Men do get in with jeans on cruise elegant night. I've never tried it, I wear a pair of khakis with a Tommy Bahama shirt.

If you want to wear jeans and are worried consider this; find your table in the MDR prior to dinner. Enter the dining room on the second deck on the side doors and get to it. We've seen it done many, many times.

Edited by BallFour4

We've just completed our 25th Carnival cruise, most of those from Galveston and here's what we see.

Men do get in with jeans on cruise elegant night. I've never tried it, I wear a pair of khakis with a Tommy Bahama shirt.

If you want to wear jeans and are worried consider this; find your table in the MDR prior to dinner. Enter the dining room on the second deck on the side doors and get to it. We've seen it done many, many times.

No need to do this , walk in the front door ,no problem

If there are rules in place I would prefer they are enforced. It would eliminate a lot of these questions. I personally don't have a problem with wearing jeans on elegant night. If you allow someone in wearing jeans then why turn away someone in cutoffs and at shirt? What's the purpose of having a standard to start with?

Seriously though, why is this even a "thing"? I understand the desire to pack light. If you don't want to dress up, just don't eat in the MDR that night. It's called elegant night for a reason. Some of us think it is FUN to dress up and get glamorous. Non one is making you participate. I'm not trying to be rude or get flamed, but why are there always questions about this?

While the rules say no jeans they do not enforce this rule. On one cruise they lost my luggage and all I had was the contents of my backpack for the entire week so my entire wardrobe was a pair of black jeans, a blouse, capri pants, and a t-shirt. I wore the black jeans and the blouse to formal might and nobody complained. Another girl on the same cruise was also without her baggage and only had a bikini and a sundress to wear the whole entire week. Needless to say she wore a Sun dress to formal night! I guess she thought that would be better than the bikini!

OP is sailing from Galveston. Jeans and a Stetson are just fine.

You have a point! There are men in Texas who have worn jeans to their weddings! In fact I think jeans and a Stetson are considered formal wear in Texas!

From Carnival's FAQ's:

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

That's not what my Fun Times said a month ago on the Victory. No prohibition on jeans. The FAQ doens't match what is stated on the ships.

Carnival-Victory-Funtimes-11.jpg

Edited by LMaxwell

Wrong. The fun times on board will say what is not allowed.

NO ONE will be turned away in Jeans as it is not prohibited onboard as per the Fun Times.

Edited by LMaxwell