Word of caution re: cab rates

h-sar

Over the holidays, we were fortunate to have been on two cruises in the Caribbean. In two ports, we caught cabs right at the official taxi stand at the pier. The person directing us to the correct taxi van would quote us one rate and the driver would tell us a rate a few dollars higher when we arrived at the destination and neither was willing to budge. Needless to say, the extra money became the only tip they received. Taught me that I need to have the dispatcher confirm the price in front of the driver before we drive away. And don't ask me how I managed to get caught twice! There were 5 of us, so the extra couple of bucks added up to $10 more than anticipated on each of the two trips.

Edited by h-sar

We always used to barter with drivers, but we're seeing "taxi marshals" and fixed pricing on more & more islands.

Haven't come across that problem, but thanks for the heads-up. Do you recall which islands?

Getting the dispatcher/marshal and driver together might not be possible but yes, certainly we'll make sure we confirm the dispatcher's price to the driver (preferably in earshot of other pax) before we board.

JB :)

Thank you for that information.

So far we have not encounter a problem like that.

But in the future, before we get into a taxi, we will ask what the cost will be. And if the driver gives a higher price, we will call the "taxi marshals" over.

Hope you can tell us what island(s) this happened on.

A lot of places (at the port) have the prices clearly posted.

It is good practice to confirm the price after you say hi and tell the driver the destination, before you get comfortable and excited. This is what you would do anywhere else in town (on the island). This is what you should do in any unfamiliar city. You ask a doorman or bartender etc...about how much would a given ride cost and confirm with the driver before you take off. Nowadays there is an app for that :D. How else would you know that you are not being taken for a ride:).

Don't be surprised if they ask for a few dollars more on the return trip. This is where you can haggle if you choose, but it is usually just a few dollars and he could probably use it more than you.

don't sweat the small stuff

and

have a great cruise

Happened to us multiple times in Ft Lauderdale claiming due to my wheelchair it's more. Ask the taxi stand guy outside the baggage claim what the cost would be he says one price, cab shows up agrees that is the price yet at the end of the trip at the port or hotel they argue for more an say they didn't agree until we get another taxi stand person or nearby police involved.

You are a wheelchair accessible taxi why would your window sticker have a different flat rate price for wheelchair users and not say as much if it was true.

Ironically on many islands we've randomly been given cheaper rides than the prices posted. We've also been told by some Taxi drivers they won't take us at all because of my chair (which folds easily an fits in most car trunks).

In Miami it has also happened twice an the taxi stand person at the port agreed with the driver an not us. Yet at the airport they agreed with us an gave us the numbers to call an complain but nobody called us back. Needless to say we're not taking a taxi on our next trip out of port of Miami in a few weeks.

Edited by PBC29
changes

Over the holidays, we were fortunate to have been on two cruises in the Caribbean. In two ports, we caught cabs right at the official taxi stand at the pier. The person directing us to the correct taxi van would quote us one rate and the driver would tell us a rate a few dollars higher when we arrived at the destination and neither was willing to budge. Needless to say, the extra money became the only tip they received. Taught me that I need to have the dispatcher confirm the price in front of the driver before we drive away. And don't ask me how I managed to get caught twice! There were 5 of us, so the extra couple of bucks added up to $10 more than anticipated on each of the two trips.

As has been mentioned dozens, if not hundreds of times on these boards, you should always confirm the rate with the driver before you get in the cab. If you don't like it don't get in.

It also doesn't hurt to take a photo of the fare board.

Also be aware of any extra fees for having more than 2 passengers in a cab.

One was in Cozumel and, as the dispatcher walked us right over to the taxi, I had every opportunity to confirm the price in both of their presence. Excitement of getting to Mr. Sanchos for a beach day overtook me, I guess. :(

The other was Roatan. No one to blame but myself as I'd already been stung once this trip.

Sail7Seas: Cozumel has set rates, not meters, to the beaches, which probably accounts for me letting my guard down; Roatan was an island tour with what I had been told was a set rate as well.

Didn't detract from our two fabulous cruises over the holidays, on the Oasis and the Regal. Just something to keep in your mind as it's a very easy thing to take care of which I overlooked.

Didn't the taxis have meters? I always request they flip the meter when we get in.
A lot of taxis in the islands don't have meters. They're supposed to charge a fixed rate per passenger between the port area and the various tourist spots.

Once in Fort Lauderdale, we had a driver who did not know how to get to the boutique hotel where we were staying after the cruise. I had printed off MapQuest directions. He kept going up the coastal highway about a mile past where I told him to turn. He finally turned around and got us to the hotel. I checked the meter at the point where I told him to turn and gave him that amount.

We were once quoted a rate in Athens, Greece when we gave the destination. The driver turned on his meter, and the fare was much higher than he had quoted us. When I questioned him, he just grinned and said lot of traffic. There really wasn't that much traffic, and even then it could conceivably be a little higher, not much higher.

We did not really have much choice but to pay the fare. I did not ask for change, and I think his "tip" ended up the equivalent of about 10 cents.

One was in Cozumel and, as the dispatcher walked us right over to the taxi, I had every opportunity to confirm the price in both of their presence. Excitement of getting to Mr. Sanchos for a beach day overtook me, I guess. :(

The other was Roatan. No one to blame but myself as I'd already been stung once this trip.

Sail7Seas: Cozumel has set rates, not meters, to the beaches, which probably accounts for me letting my guard down; Roatan was an island tour with what I had been told was a set rate as well.

Didn't detract from our two fabulous cruises over the holidays, on the Oasis and the Regal. Just something to keep in your mind as it's a very easy thing to take care of which I overlooked.

We've ridden many a taxi in Cozumel ;) and luckily never had a problem but my late DH usually agreed on prices in advance when in taxi without a meter. San Juan also has zones and no meters..... lots of places world wide have set price from point A to B.

If you're only talking a few dollars difference is it worth the anxiety of worrying about it? When you returned to the dock, did you speak with the person(s) at the taxi stand about being overcharged? I don't imagine they are unaware it happens. They are all there to make as much money per day as they can. Dispatcher and drivers certainly are 'acquainted'.

Most important, IMO, is to get there and back safely. :)

Edited by sail7seas

We took a cab from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami. Cabbie quoted the price. When we got there, he charged double. Simply said that the quoted price was for each. If we were not in a hurry, I would have contacted someone. That was many years ago and things have changed for the better. Still need to be on your toes. ;)

We were once quoted a rate in Athens, Greece when we gave the destination. The driver turned on his meter, and the fare was much higher than he had quoted us. When I questioned him, he just grinned and said lot of traffic. There really wasn't that much traffic, and even then it could conceivably be a little higher, not much higher.

We did not really have much choice but to pay the fare. I did not ask for change, and I think his "tip" ended up the equivalent of about 10 cents.

At the Athens port of Piraeus, there are signs saying what are the correct fares, but there often seems to be a way round those...too many passengers; too much heavy luggage; too much traffic... :rolleyes:

You paid the usual tip in Europe- just taking the fare to the next € ...unless they've worked out that you're not European...

Edited by jocap

At the Athens port of Piraeus, there are signs saying what are the correct fares, but there often seems to be a way round those...too many passengers; too much heavy luggage; too much traffic... :rolleyes:

You paid the usual tip in Europe- just taking the fare to the next € ...unless they've worked out that you're not European...

It was not in Piraeus; it was actually in Athens. We had left the area of the Parthenon and my DW who is an art teacher had a museum she wanted to see.

We had no luggage. There were not a lot of passengers. I already commented on the traffic.