Boarding Oasis with Anxiety

I suffer from pretty severe anxiety and panic attacks. One trigger is standing in a large group (I'm 4'9" and feel like everything is closing in on me. Having read these boards after booking I realize oasis might not have been the best choice of ships. Oops)

Our Set Sail papers say we can start boarding at 12:30 but I know people have said they have boarded before what their docs say. Our ship is pretty packed and I want to avoid the major crowds as much as possible... Should I call RC ahead of time and "ask permission" or just show up. Should I bring a doctor's note?

First of all, congrats on booking a great ship which you will love.

I would offer a simple solution.

Go later like 1:15pm. this way the cabins will be open for those already on board and they will be checking them out------------ you can now board easily go and eat if you like or go strait to your cabin.

If this is not an option, good luck with yours.

Safe travels.

Me DH and I talked about that but the latest shuttle from our hotel is 11:30 so we would be sitting around (in the crowd) for a while. We might consider forgoing the shuttle for a taxi instead to make that work out if early boarding isn't possible. Thanks for the advice!

I suffer from pretty severe anxiety and panic attacks. One trigger is standing in a large group (I'm 4'9" and feel like everything is closing in on me. Having read these boards after booking I realize oasis might not have been the best choice of ships. Oops)

Our Set Sail papers say we can start boarding at 12:30 but I know people have said they have boarded before what their docs say. Our ship is pretty packed and I want to avoid the major crowds as much as possible... Should I call RC ahead of time and "ask permission" or just show up. Should I bring a doctor's note?

Yes, you can go earlier than your docs say. I would contact special needs prior to your cruise though and see what kind of accommodations they will make for you. You should also talk to them about the muster drill.

I think you'll be ok, since you really aren't standing in the crowd. When you get to the port you'll sit somewhere and wait until boarding starts. The thing is to watch and wait during the boarding process. As soon as the numbers start being called people start lining up, so you can wait until the first rush gets on and the crowd is thinner. This is what I do since i also have issues with crowding and enclosed spaces.

Also even if you try to get on earlier it may not work since the boarding could start late for any number of reasons.

Yes, you can go earlier than your docs say. I would contact special needs prior to your cruise though and see what kind of accommodations they will make for you. You should also talk to them about the muster drill.

I hadn't thought about the Muster Drill. Thank you!

I think you'll be ok, since you really aren't standing in the crowd. When you get to the port you'll sit somewhere and wait until boarding starts. The thing is to watch and wait during the boarding process. As soon as the numbers start being called people start lining up, so you can wait until the first rush gets on and the crowd is thinner. This is what I do since i also have issues with crowding and enclosed spaces.

Also even if you try to get on earlier it may not work since the boarding could start late for any number of reasons.

The last cruise we took was out of Bayonne and there wasn't anywhere to sit/wait so it is good to know FLL is different. Thank you!

Me DH and I talked about that but the latest shuttle from our hotel is 11:30 so we would be sitting around (in the crowd) for a while. We might consider forgoing the shuttle for a taxi instead to make that work out if early boarding isn't possible. Thanks for the advice!

They pack as many people as possible in the shuttles and I'm pretty sure that is not how you want to start your vacation.

Ask for a late checkout and take a cab.

###

Following. Let me say you are not alone with your anxiety or triggers with the cruising process. Any ideas or tips that can be recommended will be helpful. I hadn't thought about the dr's note.

Something I learned last time is avoid the Windjammer for breakfast. Either head to the MDR or use Room Service. If I think of others, I'll let you know.

Muster drill on the Oasis class ships are done in varying venues - ours was in Blaze, for instance, and we were able to sit pretty much where we wanted to. You know your anxiety better than the rest of us, but that may be a little easier on your anxiety than the standard "stand outside on the promenade deck in rows until dismissed" method.

Once you are onboard, except for the parade in the Royal Promenade, and the elevators, you shouldn't have a problem. The ship is very well laid out, and crowds are really less than the smaller ships. I just got off the Serenade, and that ship felt more crowded than the Oasis.

Our young daughter has panic disorder and she was weirdly enoug most uncomfortable in the MDR. She too has a difficult time with crowds. Last cruise was on Allure. Luckily she has good medication now, so I'm expecting her to do much better on the Oasis this summer. She is still weary of the MDR, but as long as we can get a table for 3 I think we will be good. We avoided the elevators except when we absolutely had to. No panic attacks during the cruise, just some high anxiety during times of big crowds. I felt there were lots of public spots to escape to, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

I also have panic attacks and hate crowds, even going to Walmart can be a drag. I know it would cost you some extra money but I would see if hotel can hold your luggage and then instead of rushing to the port go take a walk on the beach. Maybe have a small lunch or snack head back to the hotel and then taxi over around 2pm. You should be able to quickly check in and walk on with no crowds. I hope your in good health because I would really avoid the elevators due to how crowed they can get. Good luck and please come back and let us know how things went.

On my recent Oasis cruise my muster station was on the Promenade in front of Guest Services. There were other groups on either side of me and on the other side of the Promenade. You could easily be pushed to the rear and surrounded by others.

You wont know your muster station until boarding. My DW has difficulty standing a long time and on another ship we were permitted to sit in a lounge with very few people during muster. Check with Special Needs or Guest Services regarding your concerns.

This is the waiting area for Oasis before boarding the ship.

22455356724_7b1b40b7a0_c.jpg

Boarding will not start until the ship is cleared of passengers, and the B2B passengers have reboarded.

The picture shows a sign that has GOLD on it. Is that the area for the Suite passengers or just a sign leading to where it is?

Thanks!

OP: I think the crowds are the worst at the airport, muster, and getting on and off the ship at the various ports at peak times. Some of the "buses" on the tours can be crowded as well. However, many ports have beaches and plenty of shopping within walking distance.

I can't imagine how you feel as I'm 6'4" myself. My 5'4" wife and 42" son stay by me as I don't permit crowding on us! lol Good luck and I know you'll be amazed at how MANY wide open areas there are on the ship, places you can surely feel at peace! I really hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we always seem to!

The picture shows a sign that has GOLD on it. Is that the area for the Suite passengers or just a sign leading to where it is?

Thanks!

OP: I think the crowds are the worst at the airport, muster, and getting on and off the ship at the various ports at peak times. Some of the "buses" on the tours can be crowded as well. However, many ports have beaches and plenty of shopping within walking distance.

I can't imagine how you feel as I'm 6'4" myself. My 5'4" wife and 42" son stay by me as I don't permit crowding on us! lol Good luck and I know you'll be amazed at how MANY wide open areas there are on the ship, places you can surely feel at peace! I really hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we always seem to!

The suite waiting area would be to the left from where this picture was taken from.

To the very far left in this picture, there is a play area for kids if the wait is too long.

I also have anxiety and panic attacks. I dislike crowds and lines. I have taken three cruises out of Fort Lauderdale on Royal Caribbean. I have found that arriving early (around 11) has worked out for us and we are able to explore the ship and get comfortable while it is still fairly empty. I have found the early self disembark with our luggage is the best, no lines and walk through customs. A few months ago we arrived early for Navigator and got stuck in a two hour long line because there was an issue with the people before us getting off, you never know what you're going to get. I struggled but made it through. Another woman actually couldn't breathe (def looked like she had a panic attack to me) and they brought her to the side and gave her some water, it actually comforted me to remember many others feel the same way. I've found Oasis class actually feels less crowded than the other classes. The worst parts for me are main dining room (depending on where we get seated), muster (oasis class is better because they dont make you stand in the lines, we were seated in dining room), and elevators. We take the stairs a lot, also good exercise to walk off all the food. I love cruises and am going on another in a few months on Allure. The happiness has far outweighed the anxiety.