Boarding Oasis with Anxiety

Can you take an Ativan before you cruise or some type of anxiety medication. I'm sure that will help.

I do have medication but it knocks any energy out of me. I will have it with me but if I can avoid the anxiety naturally, I would rather do that.

This is the waiting area for Oasis before boarding the ship.

22455356724_7b1b40b7a0_c.jpg

Boarding will not start until the ship is cleared of passengers, and the B2B passengers have reboarded.

That looks much different from how I remember The other port we went to. And we are Gold status so that's where we would be.

The picture shows a sign that has GOLD on it. Is that the area for the Suite passengers or just a sign leading to where it is?

Thanks!

OP: I think the crowds are the worst at the airport, muster, and getting on and off the ship at the various ports at peak times. Some of the "buses" on the tours can be crowded as well. However, many ports have beaches and plenty of shopping within walking distance.

I can't imagine how you feel as I'm 6'4" myself. My 5'4" wife and 42" son stay by me as I don't permit crowding on us! lol Good luck and I know you'll be amazed at how MANY wide open areas there are on the ship, places you can surely feel at peace! I really hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we always seem to!

I carefully booked our air travel around low crowd times so I am hoping we are going to be ok with that (pending the potential for glorious NY snowstorms which are also currently causing significant anxiety).

My husband and I are in pretty good shape so we are ok walking to avoid crowds and he knows my triggers and, while he is not exactly blessed with height, he guides me around if I need to put my head down to go to my happy place if I begin to panic.

That looks much different from how I remember The other port we went to. And we are Gold status so that's where we would be.

The ship boarding area would be behind us in this photo.

Edited by h20skibum

Sorry, I meant it was different than Bayonne... Where we embarked last trip.

The terminal for Oasis/Allure is quite different than Bayonne. It's 2 levels. Lower level is where you enter/check in. Then you go up stairs to the waiting area. It can get very crowded.....especially if there are any delays with disembarkation. We experienced this in November and waited until almost 12:00 to board. There are places you could stand so you wouldn't have to be in with the crowds.....or, like others have suggested, you could wait and board after the first rush.

We found a taxi to be reasonable for getting to the port and it was less than the shuttle. Where is your hotel?

A suggestions for Muster Drill. Don't go right away and/or wait and join your group toward the end. That way you can quickly leave before all the crowds.

Johnny Rockets is complimentary for breakfast. They have outdoor tables that might work for you.

If I had a panic problem in crowds I certainly would avoid booking a cruise. Of all the places I've been no place is more crowed than a cruise ship. I don't have this problem, however I hate being in a crowded elevator and really hate the muster drill. Exiting the theater is another unbearable experience, and I don't have an anxiety disorder. How does one cope with a whole week of crowds?

So from this thread we've learned you should avoid:

-checking in too early

-checking in on time

-muster

-the buffet

-promenade

-breakfast

-shuttles

-waiting

-lines

-crowds

:confused: If your anxiety is so severe, why have you planned a cruise for the largest ship at sea?

Seems you may be best served by canceling and finding a smaller ship to sail, or perhaps a different vacation all together.

So from this thread we've learned you should avoid:

-checking in too early

-checking in on time

-muster

-the buffet

-promenade

-breakfast

-shuttles

-waiting

-lines

-crowds

:confused: If your anxiety is so severe, why have you planned a cruise for the largest ship at sea?

Seems you may be best served by canceling and finding a smaller ship to sail, or perhaps a different vacation all together.

I disagree. I applaud her for overcoming her disability and going. My 21 year old son also suffers Panic Disorder and severe anxiety and he loved the two cruises he has been on. He did spend a lot of time in the cabin away from people when need be, but it's very important to try and live your life without letting your fear/disability prevent you from enjoying it.

With careful planning and foresight there is no reason that the OP won't have a great vacation.

Congratulations on your upcoming cruise. I think this thread is outstanding - so many people suffer from panic and anxiety disorder. Planning is the key! Having dealt with a son with panic disorder, it is clear there is no ONE right way to do anything. Many of the suggestions above sound great, but you have to plan and decide what works best for you. We found being first often worked for us, but that can cause stress as well since you're always worried about getting here or there before the crowds. We were proactive and it worked for him the majority of the time.

I applaud you for living your life! I think the Oasis class ships do feel less crowded than the other ships since you have all those spaces to visit and enjoy.

I, too, get anxiety in large crowds. I was on Oasis in December. The only time the crowds bothered me was when boarding. People started rushing toward the door. It was slight chaos. The next time w go, we are going to wait until after 11:30 to get there so we don't have to be in that large waiting room again. Not bad for people who don't have anxiety, but not great for me. Otherwise, after that first day, I never noticed the crowds. It doesn't seem like there are that many people on board. Go enjoy it. You can do it!!!

Yes, you can go earlier than your docs say. I would contact special needs prior to your cruise though and see what kind of accommodations they will make for you. You should also talk to them about the muster drill.

THIS!

Special needs is your friend...

And....you may find the larger ships seem much less crowded....I think you'll be fine. There are always spaces you can go to get away....

Edited by BecciBoo

I'm not the OP but want to applaud her for going forward with her vacation despite her anxiety. As someone with this disorder you have to try your best to push you triggers as much as possible. Ten years ago my disorder got so bad I started to keep my kids home from school rather than leave the house. I realized this is when I need professional help. Turns out my thyroid was way out of wack making my anxiety worse. I got that fixed and started to see a therapist, which really helped. Like the OP we try to find ways to either avoid or lessen triggers. Example: Shopping at Walmart, I try to go doing slower times and if I need to go on the weekends I bring my DH. I am so blessed with a husband that is so supportive and it sounds like a lot of the posters have good support also. I wish the OP a lovely cruise and encourage her to live her life to the best of her abilities.

I also suggest taking a taxi from your hotel --- no earlier than 1:15.

As for muster ...

If you have one that requires standing in those lines, would it help to be in the front of the line? Perhaps at one end?

Our cruise on Indy muster was held outside. DW can't stand for very long so once we checked in I asked the staff for a chair. We were directed to a place where she could sit but still listen to the drill.

Thank you to everyone for the positive feedback and the tips. I went ahead and contacted Special Needs and they are willing to accommodate us when we get to the pier for embarkation (just have to find an agent) and I have to speak to Guest Services once on board for muster drill instructions. They have made a note on our reservation so I shouldn't have issues (fingers crossed).

In the meantime, I'll be getting a new pair of sneakers for all the stairs I'll be climbing and packing my bags full of things to help me cope (ear plugs, head phones, and refilling my "chill pills", etc). I know the more I plan and learn about what to expect, the better I'll be. I'm very much looking forward to the cruise in just a couple of weeks!

I hope you have such a wonderful cruise that you look back and think "what was I concerned about!". Cruise ships can be crowded - but there is always a way to avoid the crowds. I don't have an anxiety disorder - but I don't like crowds! So I avoid them and have never had any problem doing so. I have yet to be on Oasis - so take my input with a grain of salt.

I didn't read all the posts so sorry if this has been said.

I'd think that if you did ok on your first cruise you'll be fine on this one. sure, the ship is bigger, but it's not a completely different scenario. I'm sure there were crowds on your first cruise; it won't be much worse this time, if at all. Have fun!

Also you may pay attention to your excursions. I get bothered on buses that have alot of people on it and have a long drive from port. Also if you have to tender anywhere. it bothers me when theres not an "escape " spot to chill out. Taking a walk etc... On Oasis you wont have that issue.

On my recent Oasis cruise my muster station was on the Promenade in front of Guest Services. There were other groups on either side of me and on the other side of the Promenade. You could easily be pushed to the rear and surrounded by others.

You wont know your muster station until boarding. My DW has difficulty standing a long time and on another ship we were permitted to sit in a lounge with very few people during muster. Check with Special Needs or Guest Services regarding your concerns.

On our Allure cruise, our muster drill was in front of the Rising Tide bar. There were several people who could not stand that long and chairs were provided for them over by the door where we boarded. Ask for a chair. I'm sure RC will be happy to provide one in a spot that is not too crowded.

The only big crowds on Allure I'd avoid would be exiting the theater. Either leave as soon as the show ends (we always sit on the end of an aisle and towards the back) or just wait until everyone leaves. Other than muster drill, and last time we had seats in the Aquatheater, that was the only time we had crowds. Most of the time it was just the two of us at an elevator.

Have a super cruise!!

Edited by joand452

On my recent Oasis cruise my muster station was on the Promenade in front of Guest Services. There were other groups on either side of me and on the other side of the Promenade. You could easily be pushed to the rear and surrounded by others.

You wont know your muster station until boarding. My DW has difficulty standing a long time and on another ship we were permitted to sit in a lounge with very few people during muster. Check with Special Needs or Guest Services regarding your concerns.

I have claustrophobia and I always ask to be able to be in the front of the line where I have fresh air and no one in front of me. The staff is always very accommodating. I am OK in the elevators unless they are extremely crowded.

One other time you might encounter some crowds is if you go to the Comedy Club or Jazz Club or Ice Show. All of these venues share the same waiting area, so it can be crowded right before a show or right after the show as everyone is leaving at about the same time.

Though not as petite as you, I am 5'1" so I have a general understanding of how you feel w/ everyone else towering over us. I immediately thought that for the most part all the areas are very open and spacious, but wanted to offer some thoughts for areas which are inside.

The area that I most feel emotionally crowded is on the promenade during one of the shows or parades, but we position ourselves past the elevators on an upper floor or if we plan ahead and get to either the photo area or at the one bar across from the rising tide bar (did I get the name correct) you can sit comfortably there. If elevators don't freak you out, the ones on Oasis are glass so it may not feel as enclosed, even when full. As for the theater, the flow of patter moves decently fast after the show so possibly the mass exodus won't overwhelm you. Yes, Wind Jammer gets crowded but the space is an open design. As for embarkment, check in is a large area, the area that you will be sitting as you wait to board is very large. When they start boarding, folks move fast on the walkway up to the ship and as you enter the ship there is not a lot of people and the door that you walk thru goes into a large space.

I hope I have provided some comfort to you. The Oasis class of ships are very roomy and for this reason my DH and I continue to re-book Oasis and Allure. Deep breath....you are going to do fine. Enjoy your trip and let us know how you like it.

Happy sailing!