Just off Independence, items missing from suitcase!

auntiedodo

Why were valuables in a checked suitcase in the 1st place???? NEVER EVER put things of value into bags you will check. You should put jewelry, electronics, money, etc... in your carry on or purse. Never let it out of your control.

Lesson learned!

As another poster stated, the OP was driving not flying (Do you ever read and digest the original post?). Also, the OP said she/he knew that they shouldn't have put the jewelry case in the bag they put out in the hall. The OP really did not need your pompous little lecture. :roll eyes:

To the OP...I hope you are able to get some resolution to your problem and I am sorry it happened to you. :)

For the first time ever, our bag had stuff missing once we got home to empty it! We called Royal Caribbean immediately but we're just sent around and around to different phone numbers only to get sent back to the original customer service person who was no help at all. My husband had two of his five custom made Pinnacle shirts missing, one of our three rum cakes is missing, the jewelry case was unzipped and one necklace is missing, and the whole bag of change we keep for the toll roads is gone. Yes, I realize it was not wise to leave the jewelry bag in the suitcase, but I did! No recourse!

What did you expect RCC to do? Can you prove that these where taken while on the cruise ship?

The problem is you could be lying abut stuff missing or confused.

Again, what was RCC suppose to do?

Did you send a picture of the items to RCC lost and found?

Sorry to hear what has happened to you, could you threaten RCL with legal action? (if you are sure that is)

This is precisely the reason why we never leave our luggage out at the end of the cruise. We are lucky we are still young and we are used to wheeling heavy suitcases about (They travelled on trains from the West mids to Barcelona this year) and I always kept one eye on our bags. On embark day I also spend a lot of time wandering back to the cabin to check if they ahve arrived (would love it if carry on self assist happened).

We always lock ours with TSA locks (yes it will not always stop a thief but may deter them to go for an unlocked bag) and have a strap around as well as having bright patterned suitcases.

We travel a lot in the US you can not lock bags or tsa will break it. I never put anything of value in my suitcase. Clothes & stuff can be replaced. Any soveniors jewelry money medicines or expensive things that I don't want to replace go in my carry on If someone wants my size 2x clothes or shoes. Have had it.

Sorry to hear what has happened to you, could you threaten RCL with legal action? (if you are sure that is)

Never issue threat unless you intend to go through with it. Big corporations like RCL has an army of high pice litigators on speed dial 24/7. They can make you like real silly in a hurry.

We travel a lot in the US you can not lock bags or tsa will break it. I never put anything of value in my suitcase. Clothes & stuff can be replaced. Any soveniors jewelry money medicines or expensive things that I don't want to replace go in my carry on If someone wants my size 2x clothes or shoes. Have had it.

That's never happened to us, either when we've traveled in the US or internationally. We always use the TSA approved locks (and have done so since they started that process), and I think there's only been one time that one of our bags had the little note saying that they'd opened our bags.

I'm really sorry this happened to you. Our friend got stuff taken from his luggage either at the airport in St. Maarten or in the one in Toronto this past November. He had an apple watch that got stolen.

I would want justice so I would keep trying to get someone to listen to you and investigate this.

We travel a lot in the US you can not lock bags or tsa will break it.

Not if you are using TSA approved locks; inspectors have the keys for those so your lock is not broken. They leave an official note in your suitcase informing you they have unlocked your suitcase and examined is contents. The suitcase is locked again after the inspection.

Shmoo - didn't see your response before I posted but we obviously agree!

Edited by capriccio

Sadly, I think you are going to have to chalk this up to a lesson learned and more on. There is simply no way to prove anything now that you are off the ship and let's face it. I highly doubt that without any proof that the cruise line can do anything for you - can you imagine the number of people that would start making bogus claims if they did.

Secondly - what I find odd is that 2 of 5 shirts were taken - why not all 5? And who would realize that they were custom made - not the average person. If the jewelry case was found - why didn't they take the entire thing not just 1 necklace? And a rum cake and some change - it just doesn't add up in my mind - all this picking and choosing - would have taken some time.

Are you absolutely sure that you did not leave a bag behind or that you have absolutely checked each and every compartment of all your bags. Occasionally I will find things in luggage that got "forgotten".

When we fly to/from USA we use zip ties ...once I forgot & left the lock on, it was cut off

I use regular combo locks

When we put our bags for loading on or off loading for the ship we lock them

When we fly to Europe we lock the bags

Only time we had a problem was flying from Budapest there was a sealed envelope in my bag

when it arrived in YYZ the lock was missing ..no note & the envelope was opened (it was just medical info for the river cruise linein case of an emergency)

Sorry, not true. We have had numerous flights within the USA and have not had our TSA locks unlocked. A few times, yes, they did unlock and search but the majority of times the locks were not opened.

Karen -- I agree. We have traveled for years with TSA approved locks, and have never (knock wood) had a problem. We've used the built-in (Samsonite hard-side) combination locks, as well as locking luggage straps (for our older hard-sided bags. We secure our soft-sided garment bag with a small TSA approved lock. Have gotten home to find a couple of "We peeked in your bag" notes from TSA. But, no damage to the locks -- which were always carefully re-locked (and the contents not too badly rummaged). :cool:

And, I do realize that someone who had access to my bag, and wanted to get into it, could pick those locks fairly easily. That's why we don't ever pack anything in our checked bags that we couldn't afford to lose. Unless someone is willing to risk jail time over our dirty clothes, or my non-designer size 5 shoes -- I'm not too worried! ;)

<snip>

Secondly - what I find odd is that 2 of 5 shirts were taken - why not all 5? And who would realize that they were custom made - not the average person. If the jewelry case was found - why didn't they take the entire thing not just 1 necklace? And a rum cake and some change - it just doesn't add up in my mind - all this picking and choosing - would have taken some time.

I also wonder about the points you make. Why didn't they take the whole jewelry case or at least all it's contents? Jewelry is easy to stuff in a pocket.

Edited by sail7seas

I always lock our suitcases.

We have no choice but to put out our bags the night before. We tend to go on cruises around 21 days, have to fly, allow extra days both pre and post cruise. Thus we take 4 large suitcases and 2 carry-ons. With my having to use wheelchair assistance to get on and off the ships, there is no way my DH could handle all that luggage.

We have--and will continue to travel for that length of time with carry on only. The idea of schlepping the type of baggage around that you do makes me shudder.

We have--and will continue to travel for that length of time with carry on only. The idea of schlepping the type of baggage around that you do makes me shudder.

While we haven't managed to pare down that far, we only take 1 large, and 1 medium suitcase, and 2 backpacks for all our trips - that's any trip over 7 days. That's what we've used for cruises/trips up to 29 days thus far.

Under 7 days, we take the medium suitcase and both backpacks, but the backpacks aren't very full.

My suggestion would be, if a call the to Post Customer service number does not produce a reasonable conclusion- I would write a business letter, stating the ship you were on, dates, time you left your luggage out- an inventory of what was removed from the luggage- cost estimates for replacement- attach any receipts that you have for the items- And ask for reimbursement. I would either email ( or better still via postal service using the type of receipt that shows it was delivered - do not use one that has to be signed for- they may not) - you will then have to do some research- find the names of the following- president of the company, head of customer service, captain of the ship- I normally direct it to the president of the company- and copy all the folks that you think might have an interest. Be sure that you put all your contact info including phone numbers. And sit back and see if they respond.

I have found through the years- that when someone goes to the trouble to write a very concise letter that respectable business take note. I have had very good luck through the years using this method. just an idea.-

Never issue threat unless you intend to go through with it. Big corporations like RCL has an army of high pice litigators on speed dial 24/7. They can make you like real silly in a hurry.

Sometimes mentioned the word 'legal' and 'lawyers' is enough to get talking to someone with actual control and authority when you ring up...just so they take you seriously.

Done it before and got what I wanted.