Organizing Papers for long trip

Ocalapat

I use a spreadsheet to organize day by day what I will be doing, confirmation numbers, contact people, etc. that is linked to Evernote which stores the larger receipt, etc. Also put things in Dropbox (yes, you can access it on your phone/Ipad by "starring files" in it to completely download those files and hold them.) Don't want much paper...takes up space and weight.

For longer cruises I tend to go with a small binder organized by day.

Shorter cruises, we use a clear plastic document folder.

I have also been taking electronic copies of all documents, receipts and correspondence. I usually turn them into pdf files and combine in to one document. I then I mail myself a copy so it is on my phone and transfer it to my iPad too. That way, if we are off ship and i need something, I have it right there on my phone.

Mike

I love to plan! For most of our cruises, we've booked within a 2 month window so my time has been fairly short.

I usually email or call the local and national tourist boards and have them send me maps, brochures & information by mail if they are able. I also visit our local library and make copies of the most vital info from guide books (this year I just took photos*). I collect important web links and information online in distinct documents per port. I print off information I think is important prior to the trip.

I create a Master Itinerary on one page and then have a 3-ring binder with information sorted for each port. I also make short summary itinerary document with essential information for each port and take a few sheets of the most important information off the ship while in port with me. I also try to email all of my documents to myself as a backup, saved in the same email folder (and also saved as a document on my phone).

In the past, it has been the joke that the heaviest portions of our luggage are do to all my travel documents! *For our last cruise, we bought a tablet and instead of taking too many paper documents, took photos grouped into Albums by port so I could have my readings with me without bulking up our suitcases. I only took my binder and one large mailer/envelope stuffed with my maps & essential info from tourism bureaus + the tablet. I used the tablet mostly to re-read info before visiting the port, and didn't use it very much while we were off the ship. It worked well.

Have fun planning!

Edited by syesmar

Good information. I've cruised as long as 35 days with nothing more than a paper clip holding a mess of papers. Next up is a 55 day grand cruise and your suggestions are definitely in order. I travel with a tablet and smart phone but have had the tablet die more than once so I like the redundancy of paper. For the moment I'm working with a spreadsheet that lists all ports, average temperatures, tours booked, price, other plans, etc. I'll be using some of your suggestions very soon.

Good information. I've cruised as long as 35 days with nothing more than a paper clip holding a mess of papers. Next up is a 55 day grand cruise and your suggestions are definitely in order. I travel with a tablet and smart phone but have had the tablet die more than once so I like the redundancy of paper. For the moment I'm working with a spreadsheet that lists all ports, average temperatures, tours booked, price, other plans, etc. I'll be using some of your suggestions very soon.

You have made a good point here. I did a 22 days cruise once and smacked the screen of my tablet against something..... dead. Well, not totally but definitely unreadable!

Re: redundancy...all my "stuff" is available on my iPhone, iPad, and laptop (which I have on longer cruises), so no problem there. ("Starred" from Dropbox or Evernote to be kept on the device.)

Also..as a safeguard, I always scan "what's in my wallet" before I leave and email that scan to myself...just in case a wallet is taken/lost...then I at least have numbers to call, the type of card, account #, etc...same with passports...always have a scanned copy of the first page sent to myself.

I also download the "Personal Excursion Brochure" from HAL for my trip. It gives you the full description of the excursions for each port. It's on my iPad.

If you have an iOS device (and ideally, a Mac), you can use the included Notes app for stuff like this. You can sync devices using iCloud. Similar to Dropbox, but you do not need internet access after you sync; your notes on on your phone/iPad. I'm sure Android devices have similar apps available.

I often find myself thinking that pre-planning is half the fun of the trip - I love to do it! For cruises I use a three ring binder with the Avery #11129 coloured index tabs that are pre-numbered 1-31. The numbers become the specific calendar dates of the month - if I have a 25 day trip beginning on March 12th, I will take the tabs numbered 1-11 and place them at the back after tab number 31 as they then become April 1-11th. I usually re-use the same index tabs for each of my cruises as I have plastic self-adhesive 4 x 6 pockets (a company called Smead makes them I believe) on the back of each 'day' to hold shore ex tickets or invitations etc received while on the cruise that need to be 'grab and go'.

The Avery index tab set comes with one 'index/contents' sheet that I have made a number of copies of on a colour copier so that I can have a different 'Table of Contents' for each trip and still re-use the index dividers themselves. I then fill in the cruise info as a title page along with where we will be each day (itinerary). I would buy a new set of tabs each trip, but the plastic adhesive pockets I stick on the back of them are not that cheap & sometimes hard to find, so I prefer to re-use them.

Before leaving I three hole punch all the docs and put them into each day as I will need them - it could be air tickets, hotel reservations, shore ex information, or private tour email confirmations. I bring a small pocket punch with me too in case I get more on the trip, it's light, easy to use & handy. I can also put plastic page protectors in there too if necessary, although I don't need them too often.

When I am on the cruise I leave the binder on the desk open to the specific day each morning - on a port day, for instance, on the left is the self-stick plastic adhesive holder with the shore ex tickets, and on the right is my confirmation email of that shore ex.

I do also send all of my emails confirming tours etc to My Docs To Go on my phone just in case but I much prefer to 'see' the paper every morning and take what I think I may need on shore with me.

I guess I will have to buy some more index tabs & self stick pocket holders when we go on that world cruise of 4 and 1/2 months and a mighty big binder! :-))

I use a magnet and put this up on the cabin wall. Does this work ??????

@ sailing away

I'm not sure if you are asking if magnets work' date=' but if anyone is wondering about that, most if not all stateroom walls (and hall doors) are magnetic. I've heard that some are less so than others.

I used magnets to hold up a LONG map of the Mexican coast when we did Atlantic to Pacific Panama Canal and Mexican Riviera, right next to the balcony door/window (Norwegian Star). I have used magnetic hooks for seapass lanyards on one or more cruises.

But my current favorite is Command Adhesive dots for maps, itinerary, and (Excel) calendar that I print at home -- I can stick them to a mirror or the glass of framed "art", which ever is most convenient. I would not put the Command on ship walls or doors because I wouldn't want to be liable for any damage on removal!

I'm thinking of a heavier-duty Command hook and this 'cascading' pocket file for the next (two) cruises:

[img']http://www.staples-3p.com/s7/is/image/Staples/s0513484_sc7?$splssku$[/img]

I use a brown manilla envelope for each port and also one for my checkin to the ship. I can the place in the envelope information that I have printed out about the port (restaurants, shops, etc) and any confirmation numbers, phone numbers for tour operators, tickets and any necessary directions. The envelope fits easily into a backpack.

For Gmail users:

If you drop all your trip-related emails to a specific folder, you can save that folder to your phone or tablet before your trip so that all those emails (including attachments) are available for you to see offline during the trip...

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/read-gmail-offline-android-38986.html

How timely coming across this thread has been for me, I was just thinking this morning that I have to start making lists and getting organized for a cruise in September. This thread has given me some great information, thanks everybody.

since I use a manila folder with all my information in chronological order, paper clipping all docs for each day of the cruise, plus pre/post docs as well. This method has serve me well for all of my many cruises. And when I return home, the folder (to which I've added notes,maps, etc accumulated during the cruisers at various ports) goes into my 'travel file' cabinet.