Specialty dining concern with quick resolution-on board!!

Bchtravlr

We boarded the Quest on Friday with suite access to the specialty restaurants. While checking in, we were asked where we wanted to eat that evening, and if we wanted a wine package as usual. We find out 24 hours later that most of the specialty dining reservation times for the next 14 days were booked due to a ship wide dining package promotion, except for a few 9:00 pm times in Aqualina! If we had known their new policy is to sell out the restaurants as quick as possible for the cruise, instead of previous experiences of asking our butler to make a reservation a day or two in advance, we would have booked our dining for the entire 2 weeks upon arrival. With some very responsive attention to this issue by head waiters and restaurant managers Lupo, Milo and Mario, space has been found for us where and when we desired.

This is continued proof Azamara's culture is to to please the customer where possible. If a need exists, ask for a solution instead of holding it inside and being unhappy.

Hi Bchtravlr,

Thanks for sharing your insights with us. As many of us who've sailed with Azamara appreciate... their onboard teams are fantastic, and will do everything possible (within reason) to keep you happy, and offer an outstanding cruise experience ! Your comments, and resolution, is another fine example of this.

Totally agree that when something isn't going as expected, it's best to reach out to Guest Relations or other supervisors as soon as possible. It doesn't make sense to say nothing, and be unhappy.

Glad it all worked out well. Wishing you a wonderful time on Quest !

Edited by Host Andy

We boarded the Quest on Friday with suite access to the specialty restaurants. While checking in, we were asked where we wanted to eat that evening, and if we wanted a wine package as usual. We find out 24 hours later that most of the specialty dining reservation times for the next 14 days were booked due to a ship wide dining package promotion, except for a few 9:00 pm times in Aqualina! If we had known their new policy is to sell out the restaurants as quick as possible for the cruise, instead of previous experiences of asking our butler to make a reservation a day or two in advance, we would have booked our dining for the entire 2 weeks upon arrival. With some very responsive attention to this issue by head waiters and restaurant managers Lupo, Milo and Mario, space has been found for us where and when we desired.

This is continued proof Azamara's culture is to to please the customer where possible. If a need exists, ask for a solution instead of holding it inside and being unhappy.

I'm glad it worked out for you but we had the exact same situation happen to us on our last cruise two years ago. We were told by our butler that he could not get us reservations after the first night for the rest of the cruise. When we visited with restaurant managers in both Prime C and Aqualina, we were told that they were booked and there wasn't anything they could do. When I posted my frustration on CC, I was chastised for wanting to eat in a specialty restaurant more than once. We were very frustrated that a perk that is one, not the only, but definitely one of the top reasons for booking a suite was not delivered. Hoping for a better experience in March.

Sorry to hear the OPs position, I'm sure you were not the only ones caught out, so glad you got a workaround but this could become a regular issue going forward if they keep chasing revenue to the extent they are now doing.

The trouble with suite guests having to make all their bookings on the pier on embarkation is

1. This really delays the pierside process given the number of bookings that have to be made

2. Without access to information on the entertainment schedule and buffet schedule, it's very difficult to make 14 nights plans pierside. Sometimes this information is not available until Day one evening or even later.

I am all in favour of the dining promotions having benefited from them myself, but would suggest they are not rolled out until Day 2 with suite guests getting a 24 hour window (with the full cruise information) to make their bookings.

Recently on Quest it seemed some suite guests did not make bookings and just turned up at a time and restaurant of their choosing on an evening and were accommodated though this impacted on others. I think that's not something that should happen, everyone should have to book ahead.

We also noticed they are overselling the Chefs Tabke. We did not have reservations but the nights we were in Prime C when the Table was on, they had 20 - 12 at the long table and others at the high tables nearby. Not sure if I would have been happy if I'd been at the "side" tables.

Hmm… I am learning more and more, today. How on earth do you know where you want to dine, over a 14 night period? Again, first time cruiser, late August; I will have a suite but my friend won't. I do want to try Prime C (not sure about Aqualina) but are the menus for the rest of the ship posted that far ahead, also?

I do want to try Prime C (not sure about Aqualina) but are the menus for the rest of the ship posted that far ahead, also?

Menus for Discoveries, Aqualina, and Prime C have been available on the television in your stateroom on the day you board. Not sure how any changes in on-board television service might affect this.

By the way, what OP described is exactly what you would find on a ship where there is no surcharge for specialty restaurants. Everyone wants to go as often as possible, so reservations are like hen's teeth once you board.

On Regent, everyone is entitled to make one pre-cruise reservation in each specialty restaurant, with upper-level suites getting first shot and people staying up until midnight US Central time on the magic date when reservations first open in order to get first crack. Any subsequent reservations you can wheedle while on board will be at a shared table with people not of your choosing and at heaven knows what time of evening. While the restaurants may be "free," this is not "luxury" in my opinion.

I am Gold on Regent, so quite familiar with the way that line is set up. But my husband and I loved Compass Rose most of the time, so might or might not ever look at one of the specialty restaurants; we never stayed up until midnight to get a reservation, though, and usually managed to find someplace to eat. I am solo this time, and first time on Azamara. I really wasn't planning to lean heavily on the specialty restaurants, but never thought about needing to know ahead of time where I wanted to dine.

Maybe I am expecting too much of Azamara, I see that there are menus posted. I guess I am gearing my expectations based on my Regent experience, when the same thing wasn't served every Tuesday (for example). I'll get there, eventually.

Edited by Pam
to add.

I guess I am gearing my expectations based on my Regent experience, when the same thing wasn't served every Tuesday (for example). I'll get there, eventually.

I have no idea what makes you think the same thing is served "every Tuesday." By the way, my seven weeks worth of experience on Regent were decidedly underwhelming.

Because there are menus posted above? And because you said the menus will be available on the day I board? Again, I have no Azamara experience, and I am trying to learn. From what I have read, Windows (I think is the name) will be a good experience most of the time.

And I'm sorry you didn't like Regent, I guess that is why God made chocolate and vanilla. We loved Regent, but now that my husband has passed away I can't make myself pay their single supplement.

Because there are menus posted above? And because you said the menus will be available on the day I board?

There are 14 menus posted in Host Andy's thread. There are seven days in a week, last I checked. Menu rotation can change depending on the itinerary. Why you would include every Tuesday has the same menu is a mystery to me.

I would suggest you stop questioning every trivial thing, relax, and just look forward to your cruise.

Edited by marinaro44

I said "for example", it was a broad brush and I admitted it. I also said I am still trying to learn. It is difficult to relax when you are undertaking something you have never done before without a companion.

I am so sorry that I have offended you with my questions, please endeavor to ignore me.

Hmm… I am learning more and more, today. How on earth do you know where you want to dine, over a 14 night period? Again, first time cruiser, late August; I will have a suite but my friend won't. I do want to try Prime C (not sure about Aqualina) but are the menus for the rest of the ship posted that far ahead, also?

Don't worry about asking questions. We have cruised Azamara before and have the same concerns you do. We really don't want to book the speciality restaurants for all 16 days and then cancel the days we don't want. That just doesn't seem fair to everyone else. But, last time both restaurants were booked after day 1 so it would be helpful to know a schedule when boarding.

Will see how it goes next month.

I said "for example", it was a broad brush and I admitted it. I also said I am still trying to learn. It is difficult to relax when you are undertaking something you have never done before without a companion.

I am so sorry that I have offended you with my questions, please endeavor to ignore me.

I do understand that having to do this next cruise alone will be difficult for you.

I suggest in the first day or two of your cruise you ask to sit down with the ship's hotel director, the equivalent of Regent's general manager. I don't know when your cruise is or which ship you'll be on, but Azamara's three hotel directors (Philip, Heike, and Ryszard) are gems...wonderfully passenger-oriented and very visible and available throughout the cruise.

Explain that you were a regular on Regent with your late husband, that this is your first Azamara cruise so you are not as familiar with Azamara's routines and rhythms as you'd like, and that you'd like this first cruise to be as comfortable and rewarding as possible. Bring up all the concerns and questions you may have. Trust me, you will be listened to with a sympathetic ear, and given whatever assistance and help you might need.

I am honestly very low-key and easy to please, in person. I admit to having a high-anxiety reaction to perceived "road blocks" when I first encounter them, and I over-research everything. I was just surprised that, like beachseeker said, one of the bigger perks of booking a suite would be stymied on the first day of the cruise. And beechseeker didn't get the wonderful customer service that the OP got. I may not even want to eat in one of the specialty restaurants, I have fairly simple tastes, but again, I was startled.

I have forgotten, I'll have to go look to see if suite guests get an expanded room service menu.

Edited by Pam

I am honestly very low-key and easy to please, in person. I admit to having a high-anxiety reaction to perceived "road blocks" when I first encounter them, and I over-research everything. I was just surprised that, like beachseeker said, one of the bigger perks of booking a suite would be stymied on the first day of the cruise. And beechseeker didn't get the wonderful customer service that the OP got. I may not even want to eat in one of the specialty restaurants, I have fairly simple tastes, but again, I was startled.

I have forgotten, I'll have to go look to see if suite guests get an expanded room service menu.

We have not encountered many problems reserving a specialty restaurant, particularly for the first serving, but clearly others' experiences differ. So you are certainly wise to investigate the procedure and I hope it all works out well for you.

I would also mention that they do have "solo cruisers" events, where those interested may gather for drinks and then enjoy a meal together. On our first cruise this was held in Prime C, but I think I've noticed them more recently in the MDR.

Others will have better information/suggestions about these offerings.

Welcome to a brand new experience on Azamara. Hope you report how events unfolded for you.

Thank you for your kindness; I have a friend who is also booked on the cruise, but she doesn't have a suite. That is one reason I said I might not ever want to eat at a specialty restaurant, although that lobster salad looks divine.

I am also very shy until I get to know people, so the solo thing probably wouldn't be something I'd do.

I am just excited about this cruise, and keep looking for new things to talk about!

We are fortunate to have a suite for a B2B coming up and will look to book around half of the nights in the speciality restaurants when we board.My questions are?

1. Will I be able to book for both legs at the boarding of the first?

2. As we enjoy meeting people, we would like to share with others - can we make reservations for a shared table?

Thanks in advance

Adrian

Pam, are you in a roll call for your cruise.

If yes, be sure you are registered for the meet & mingle onboard.

I remember the last one very good. Every leading officer except the captain was there, to welcome the guests. You had the first chance to talk with them and they will remember you when they meet you again.

Cruisedirector Tony was hosting this event and introduced all officers to the guests and asked every guest to stand up and introduce himself/herself to the other guests. At was a really nice get together and we made the first contact to other guests.

After cruising for about 3 days we got a survey and filled it in and got a quick response within a few hours. And things, we were concerned about were explained to us and they have done everything to please us.

Edited by wuppis
correcting

Here you go Pam. Register here for your Meet&Mingle. You need your reservation number.

https://secure.azamaraclubcruises.com/cruisecritic/getBooking.do

Please don't worry about anything on your Azamara cruise. They will be so kind to you and everything will be taken care of. Just speak to your Hotel Manager or Cruise Director onboard with any worries. Your friend will be able to dine with you in Aqualina or Prime C and it is a lovely experience, so you shouldn't miss it.

She could choose one of the special dining packages and select from three dinners in Prime C or Aqualina. The package is excellent value.

Your friend will have to pay her $25 if she just goes with you once but yours will be free as you are in a suite. Just go and see the Speciality Maitre D' at about 6 pm on the day you board and it will all be done without a problem.

Have a great cruise....and don't worry about asking any questions here. In general, most Azamara cruisers are happy to help and share their love of all things Azamara!

Thank you for your kindness; I have a friend who is also booked on the cruise, but she doesn't have a suite. That is one reason I said I might not ever want to eat at a specialty restaurant, although that lobster salad looks divine.

I am also very shy until I get to know people, so the solo thing probably wouldn't be something I'd do.

I am just excited about this cruise, and keep looking for new things to talk about!

Apologies for assuming you were travelling solo.

I anticipate that you will experience the usual wonderful friendliness on board, from both staff and fellow cruisers, that will put you at your ease.

Glad you are anticipating this new experience.

Well, I am traveling solo, in that my husband isn't by my side. I have probably given the impression that I would be alone on the ship because I won't be traveling with him like I always did, I am so sorry.

I did find the Meet & Mingle, thank you so much! I was only person #5 to sign up for it, so hopefully 20 more people will find it.

I am going to try to be quieter now.

I did find the Meet & Mingle, thank you so much! I was only person #5 to sign up for it, so hopefully 20 more people will find it.

You'll probably get to 25, but don't worry if you don't. In spite of what the Meet and Mingle email says Azamara hold one regardless of the number registered. If you don't reach the magic 25 prior to the cruise and you get an email saying it's been "denied" you can disregard it. Time of meeting if you don't get an invite in your cabin is shown in the Daily Pursuits paper.

Phil

I am going to try to be quieter now.

Please don't stop posting. You have asked good questions which has resulted in helpful discussions. I have not lost a spouse but we did lose our only child three years ago. It is so hard to carry on at times and you are to be commended for continuing to cruise without a partner when it was something you enjoyed so much as a couple.