First cruise: Crystal or Princess?

pearlharbr

We are first-time cruise ship cruisers, we did a Windjammer tall ship cruise in 2004. After years of wanting to take a cruise to Alaska I've finally convinced my husband to do it.

I was all set to book a SB on Coral Princess next June but just found an offer for Crystal Serenity this June and now I don't know what to book. I can't decide if I'd rather have the exact cabin I want (near mid-ship, middle deck, balcony on the shoreline side) on Princess or spend the extra $1300 for the Crystal experience but in a non-balcony cabin at the front on the non-shoreline side.

The cost comparison is taking into account the cost of the cruise, mandatory tips, beverages, and promo credits. The assumption is that we'll do the same (one or two) shore excursions and airfare no matter which itinerary we choose.

The itineraries are the same, although Princess is SB and Crystal is NB. Both stop in Glacier Bay which is the must-do.

We lived in Anchorage for two years so we won't take any time in Alaska other than a day to see old friends.

We're early 40s, childfree, and don't mind being the youngest people around. We usually stay in 3- to 3.5-star hotels because we don't spend much time in the room but we enjoy the occasional 5-star splurge. I like getting dressed up, the Mr. not so much but he'll do it. I assume that since it's Alaska everyone will be dressing for the weather during the days anyway.

We have friends who say they didn't spend any time in their cabins because they were always up on a viewing deck or in a public space. We have friends who say you *must* have a balcony to watch the scenery go by, especially for this cruise.

I have terrible motion sickness so I'll be wearing a patch. It worked great on the tall ship cruise so I don't know how concerned I need to be with the cabin location being mid-ship vs. up front.

I could go either way at this point so any feedback you have would be very helpful. Thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I would suggest some reading of the reviews, here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/

because those are really two different cruise lines and styles. If Crystal is really the same price for approximately the same cabin, I would take Crystal in a heart beat.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I'm not seeing Crystal Serenity on the Glacier Bay schedules, although I do see her listed on Crystal website. Doesn't happen often. EM

Hmm, that's concerning.

Upon further discussion we've decided not to take a cruise to Alaska. We'll just fly into Glacier Bay and do the day tour and spend a couple days in Juneau. We'll save our first cruise for someplace warm. ;)

I see you made a decision but I will post this anyway.

When Crystal ships sail Alaska they do sail Glacier Bay so I have no idea what the comment was about Glacier Bay. I am sailing on Serenity this summer and we have a full day at Glacier Bay and that has been the case on all of my Crystal Sailings on each of three ships (one isn't in the fleet anymore).

In act you do want a comparison here are some thoughts.

I have taken cruises on both lines.

A couple of items.

There are several items that are inclusive on Crystal that are not included with Princess.

They include alcohol, tipping, specialty coffees and one visit to each specialty restaurant without a fee.

So be sure to factor that in.

Crystal will provide a very luxury experience. If both cruise lines were hotels think of Crystal as a Ritz Carlton or a Four Seasons and Princess as a Hilton.

Thanks for your input Keith. That's what I factored into the cost difference and what made taking a Crystal cruise appealing. In the end we decided that since we've already done most of the Alaska experiences we won't get as much out of a week-long cruise (I'd roll my eyes every time someone exclaimed over a bald eagle/moose/puffin sighting).

I was concerned about a few Crystal reviews I read cutting a poor health inspection score for the Serenity last year and a sense of declining standards from repeat cruisers. But I'd still consider taking them if the price/situation was right.

On my first Crystal cruise, I was very pleasantly surprised to see how much nice public spaces were available, both inside and outside. When I've sailed in the past, I was really glad I had a balcony because it was really the only way to get any un-crowded outdoor space in which to relax. I booked a balcony cabin on my first Crystal cruise but found it really wasn't necessary - the ship had a virtually no crowds anywhere, and public spaces were plentiful and nice.

Since that time I have always booked a window cabin, and used the extra money (not spent on a balcony) for pre- or post-cruise traveling. And I haven't regretted it. The degree of un-crowded-ness was terrific, as was the general sense of calm (no announcements, no sales pitches, etc).

• 2 weeks later...