Explorer OTS on TV

Rosee

C'mon, it's marketing. As others have intimated they're not going to show the warts or the stuff-ups.

Its a representation of what you MAY expect but not necessarily receive.

How often have burger joints been taken to task, even in the courts I believe, over the marketing representation of their products? When was the last time you bought a Big Mac or a Whopper and it looked like the one you saw in their ads? Yet we, the general public, still buy them.

The virgin cruiser viewers will see it and, most likely, have loved it and gone out and booked cruiser which can't be a bad thing.

Do we get to see the tender queues or crowds in cruise brochures? No, but we book anyway and come back for more.

C'mon, it's marketing. As others have intimated they're not going to show the warts or the stuff-ups.

Its a representation of what you MAY expect but not necessarily receive.

How often have burger joints been taken to task, even in the courts I believe, over the marketing representation of their products? When was the last time you bought a Big Mac or a Whopper and it looked like the one you saw in their ads? Yet we, the general public, still buy them.

The virgin cruiser viewers will see it and, most likely, have loved it and gone out and booked cruiser which can't be a bad thing.

Do we get to see the tender queues or crowds in cruise brochures? No, but we book anyway and come back for more.

Yeah, but as I said earlier people can get help from sites like this to filter the Gloss from the brochures and TV commercials and have more realistic expectations, so it's good to discuss on here.

Still really funny to view when you have just got off the Explorer, or was it voyager?🙂

LOL Having seen the same faces only weeks after was the funniest part of this and yes it was a promo. Im not sure on the comparison of a cruise you pay in excess of 10k + for with a hamburger. Paying that sort of money for surly bar staff and seeing the same faces depicting a love of their job was a bit different to buying a burger for a few bucks and it not looking like the picture. Not sure I can swallow that one, the analogy that is not the burger lol!;)

Does anyone feel like a burger right now? :rolleyes:

LOL Having seen the same faces only weeks after was the funniest part of this and yes it was a promo. Im not sure on the comparison of a cruise you pay in excess of 10k + for with a hamburger. Paying that sort of money for surly bar staff and seeing the same faces depicting a love of their job was a bit different to buying a burger for a few bucks and it not looking like the picture. Not sure I can swallow that one, the analogy that is not the burger lol!;)

As long as it comes with bacon, egg, pineapple and beetroot.:D

I enjoyed it. At least it wasnt "cheesey" as some travel shows are. Pretty sure they were all paid actors. I think there should have been some footage of the tender process since both islands featured utilise tenders. And given that there are alot of negative comments in recent Voyager and Explorer reviews about how miserable the staff are - i think its ironic that this infomercial specifically makes mention of the importance of the staff and passenger relationships being important in making cruising more enjoyable. Think RCI have some work to do there.

$10K+!!!? What sort of cabin were you in? Perhaps some people who encounter "surly bar staff" are part of the problem. We didn't have any issues with surly or unhappy staff when we were onboard a couple of weeks back. I'm nice to everyone, happy and smile when dealing with others, and that's what I got in return. The lady who was making the coffee at Cafe Promenade was really nice whenever I spoke with her. On the other hand, I heard a lot of other passengers talking to some staff like they were pieces of crap. That makes me so angry and by the end, I'd put a few people in their place if for being rude to staff for no reason.

$10K+!!!? What sort of cabin were you in? Perhaps some people who encounter "surly bar staff" are part of the problem. We didn't have any issues with surly or unhappy staff when we were onboard a couple of weeks back. I'm nice to everyone, happy and smile when dealing with others, and that's what I got in return. The lady who was making the coffee at Cafe Promenade was really nice whenever I spoke with her. On the other hand, I heard a lot of other passengers talking to some staff like they were pieces of crap. That makes me so angry and by the end, I'd put a few people in their place if for being rude to staff for no reason.

MarkandAllan did mention needing a good Kids' Club so presumably they paid for two adults and one or more children. That being the case, they could have been in a mini suite or suite. :)

Thankyou, myself and my partner were in a mini suite with our daughter and I can assure you we DID NOT treat bar staff like crap to deserve the service standard we and other recieved which is well supported by feedback from others on the same cruise. We are glad to hear you recieved good service however take excepption to your intimation we deserved the card snatching and snarling we recieved from bar staff, including forfeiting our table at christmas in the main dining room to be shoved into a corner away from everything and basically forgotten about. We provided a review which you may choose to look up and in general had a ball on the same cruise but needed to provide feedback on improvements such as service staff attitudes. FYI we also tipped handsomely for staff who provided good service and our awesome cabin attendant despite having prepaid gratuities and drinks packages. Perhaps our smiles were not quite as radiant as yours but thanks for the comment all the same!

Hi here's our full review below, and it was a junior suite $11230 for the three of us. It goes into a bit more detail.[emoji2]

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48714909

Especially for a Christmas and New Years cruise it is very easy to pay that sort of price!

We were on the filmed cruise which was the previous one. As it wasn't as long, it also didn't cost as much but on a comparable base being just over a week long it was still easy to pay $5000+.

Whatever the money, a cruise, and holiday is a substantially greater investment than a bottle of coke or burger. When you purchase those you also enter a contract as you do with a cruise, but you don't need to sign terms and conditions as you do for a cruise. There's a reason - that they are not comparable purchases.

So given the much rarer nature of holidays and cruises for most (compared to how often you could eat a burger for example), the commitment and expectation is greater. Trying to fob the misrepresentation off as no big deal is a disservice.

I think some may have missed the point of the burger analogy. It wasn't about the product, burger v. cruise, it was about how a product is presented and the reality after purchase.

Got that. :D Been there, done that. A few years ago at Maccas, there was a big poster promoting a new chicken product. It looked moist and delicious. Mine came out dry and hard looking like it had been run over by a steam roller and tasting like cardboard. :(I went back to the counter and politely showed them my food and pointed out the difference between that and the advertising poster. The manager offered to get me another serving of the same item. I didn't see the point of that. I accepted a Big Mac instead. :)

I think the problem with the TV programme we are discussing is that it was presented as a documentary programme, not as an advertisement. Therefore we can reasonably expect that it is a fair representation of what one would expect to encounter on board. From the many comments on here, it sounds like that isn't really the case. :(

I think the problem with the TV programme we are discussing is that it was presented as a documentary programme, not as an advertisement. Therefore we can reasonably expect that it is a fair representation of what one would expect to encounter on board. From the many comments on here, it sounds like that isn't really the case. :(

That was my point.

got that. :d been there, done that. A few years ago at maccas, there was a big poster promoting a new chicken product. It looked moist and delicious. Mine came out dry and hard looking like it had been run over by a steam roller and tasting like cardboard. :(i went back to the counter and politely showed them my food and pointed out the difference between that and the advertising poster. The manager offered to get me another serving of the same item. I didn't see the point of that. I accepted a big mac instead. :)

i think the problem with the tv programme we are discussing is that it was presented as a documentary programme, not as an advertisement. Therefore we can reasonably expect that it is a fair representation of what one would expect to encounter on board. From the many comments on here, it sounds like that isn't really the case. :(

ImageUploadedByForums1454141417.923828.jpg.7e487592ae6c2ef86cbd266d6dc90950.jpg

I missed the show & wonder if anyone has a link to watch the show... I can't find it on the Channel 9 app

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

I just had a look at 'Channel 9 Catch up' on line and the Mega ship programme was there, but I wasn't tempted to have a second look.

I just had a look at 'Channel 9 Catch up' on line and the Mega ship programme was there, but I wasn't tempted to have a second look.

Thanks, yes I found it after I upgraded my app to 9 Now.... 29 sleeps til I go on the Voyager for the first time... I understand the ships are similar so was looking forward to checking it out

I don't think anyone would have thought it was a documentary, when they have that girl and guy swanning around they way they did. More like a mockumentary.

Thanks, yes I found it after I upgraded my app to 9 Now.... 29 sleeps til I go on the Voyager for the first time... I understand the ships are similar so was looking forward to checking it out

Yes the ships are very similar, so much so that apparently they used footage of Voyager for the Explorer show. You may see bits that the show highlighted very soon indeed.;)

This thread is hilarious. It was ofcourse an infomercial and strictly controlled. It was never going to be anything else. I still enjoyed it.

Btw, Graham is awesome, have had him twice now and the tender process, no issues for us.