Princess, don't take away pillow chocolates.

Loreni

Once the chocolate is left in your room, I don't think Princess can re-use it, because those chocolates, though they have a foil wrapper, are not completely sealed. So, if you are going to leave them behind, or throw them in the trash, why don't you just tell your steward you don't eat them and ask him not to leave them. I for one do enjoy them, and I think it is a nice touch that makes you feel slightly pampered. I would miss them if discontinued.

If you go on a 7 day cruise with the lousy chocolate @ $0.50 per piece, you are getting $7 worth of chocolate. A bit of an overreaction to the loss of $7 worth of candy in my opinion. If you really need that candy, bring a bag on board and have your spouse put them on the pillow for you.

DON

I don't think the price of the candy is what people are discussing. It's the gesture, the nice touch.

I think they are a nice little touch...and we enjoy them very much! :)

Ditto. For the most part we didn't eat them on board. Instead we placed them in a container that had our coins and other small stuff in it. We didn't empty the container until quite a bit later after the cruise. We ate the candy then as we remembered the great times on the ship.

We just returned yesterday from a 15-day Hawaiian cruise. Not only did we ask not to be left pillow chocolates, we also asked for no night service in our cabin. Our cabin steward was happy about that and we gave him additional tips throughout the cruise. He left us a bar of soap and a tube of lotion every day. He's one of the best stewards we've ever had.

Now that sounds exactly how I would prefer my cruise to be. We never eat the chocolates and only collect them into one area of a table hoping the steward would enjoy them for himself if he wanted. And as for no cabin service in the evening, I'd be totally OK with that, as well.

We really are pretty tidy and other than having clean towels I really don't feel we need our beds turned down. I've worried about asking for less service in fear that the Steward would think were not going to tip. Offering tips during the week would satisfy that. Something to consider now. Thank you.

All this makes me wonder how much they are paying this "Norman" person for his chocobanana? Surely it is more than the pillow chocolates. Maybe Princess should send out a survey to see if we really want Norman. Sounds like he has rearranged the dining room menus by eliminating the daily always available selections.

All this makes me wonder how much they are paying this "Norman" person for his chocobanana? Surely it is more than the pillow chocolates. Maybe Princess should send out a survey to see if we really want Norman. Sounds like he has rearranged the dining room menus by eliminating the daily always available selections.

Probably not as much as Curtis Stone. :rolleyes:

Once the chocolate is left in your room, I don't think Princess can re-use it, because those chocolates, though they have a foil wrapper, are not completely sealed. So, if you are going to leave them behind, or throw them in the trash, why don't you just tell your steward you don't eat them and ask him not to leave them. I for one do enjoy them, and I think it is a nice touch that makes you feel slightly pampered. I would miss them if discontinued.

Very well said. I was about to make a similar suggestion.

No !!

My apologies. Most people, at least those on Cruise Critic, are familiar with the method which Princess charges ALL passengers for the daily services from the crew. This was the reason behind my question. I certainly didn't mean to confuse you.

This is from the Princess website regarding tips/gratuities:

To simplify the tipping process for our guests, a discretionary gratuity of $13.95 per person for mini-suites and suites, and $12.95 per guest in all other staterooms per day (including children) will be automatically added to your shipboard account on a daily basis. This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who help provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet.

There is absolutely no requirement to add a tip to the steward for any of his services. On occasion, and at the discretion of the guest, to offer a small tip if a special request has been made or if you feel he/she has done a remarkable job or if you are feeling extraordinarily generous. :)

So confusing

I got this from my travel agent yday

"

Thank you for your email

Gratuities are no longer compulsory for sailings out of Australia on Princess Sailings. They do not offer the pre-pay option unfortunately.

Previously they did add an automatic amount to your on board account daily, They have now removed this also. Tipping is completely at your discretion.

If we can be of any further assistance please don’t hesitate to con

So confusing

I got this from my travel agent yday

"

Thank you for your email

Gratuities are no longer compulsory for sailings out of Australia on Princess Sailings. They do not offer the pre-pay option unfortunately.

Previously they did add an automatic amount to your on board account daily, They have now removed this also. Tipping is completely at your discretion.

If we can be of any further assistance please don’t hesitate to con

Just have to get the white envelopes from Stewart and/or the Passenger Services Desk.

Hand out your own tips.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree the chocolates are a nice touch, and I would hate to see them go. It's sort of like the Baked Alaska parades. Were they a necessity? Of course not, but it's those small traditions that most cruisers enjoy and remember. When,S the last time you had chocolates in your hotel room, or for that matter, when's the last time there was a parade complete with lighted Baked Alaskas at your favorite restaurant? Some things just remind you of the word "cruise".🤗

If you go on a 7 day cruise with the lousy chocolate @ $0.50 per piece, you are getting $7 worth of chocolate. A bit of an overreaction to the loss of $7 worth of candy in my opinion. If you really need that candy, bring a bag on board and have your spouse put them on the pillow for you.

DON

Hi Don

I agree it is small issue but what is next are we going to bring our own toilet paper. These cruise companies make big $$$ and it if we let them cut everywhere what is next. We already know they have cut in food service and other areas while making record profits. Princess I am a loyal customer and have been for many years but please listen to your customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk