Princess, don't take away pillow chocolates.

Loreni

I read some other cruise lines have discontinued pillow chocolates and Princess sent out a survey about this. These candies can't be very expensive...maybe 20 cents each? I think they make the passengers feel appreciated. It is like a little thank you from Princess at the end of each day. We don't eat them on the ship. We take them home and dole them out slowly...each time we remember the happy times on our cruises and feel valued and appreciated by Princess. These memories and feelings make us happy and make us want to sail again soon.

If the food budget (or hotel budget) will not allow for these inexpensive chocolates, how about the marketing budget?

Lately, DH and I have been enticed by some of the bells and whistles that other cruise lines offer. We were very disappointed in the Royal Princess. It seems like an opportunity to do something really innovative was squandered...and how sad to no longer have a nice covered promenade for walks. But we noticed that the competitors with the "innovative" bells-and-whistles seem not to have very high regard for their passengers. They expect their passengers to make reservations ahead of time for dinner and shows and other advertised activities. They know there is not enough to go around and many will be disappointed. I wonder if the executives who plan these things like to wait on long lines during their own vacations? Or if they like to plan when they will be hungry months in advance?

So far Princess has demonstrated far more respect for its passengers. Let's not risk that goodwill for 20 cents a day in candy. It is already bad enough that I have to bring my own hair conditioner.

Edited by Loreni

Nothing surprises me any longer. Even eliminating a 20 cent piece of candy. It was probably thought up at one of their brainstorming sessions where everyone was required to submit a proposal to cut costs. Been there, done that.:rolleyes:

After a while the submitted suggestions become almost meaningless.

Celebrity removed the pillow chocolates for a short period of time. The new CEO brought them back shortly after they were removed. They recently removed the daily bottled water from Aqua Class, which is a stateroom category that passengers pay a premium price for. I wouldn't be surprised if Princess stopped the chocolates at turn down.

I wonder how long it will be until we see a Post about no more chocolate on turn down, followed by another post that there ship still has them, it's sad what managment is doing to this cruise line. Over the last few months they really do seem to be pushing hard on cutting back on onboard experiance.

We just returned yesterday from a 15-day Hawaiian cruise. Not only did we ask not to be left pillow chocolates, we also asked for no night service in our cabin. Our cabin steward was happy about that and we gave him additional tips throughout the cruise. He left us a bar of soap and a tube of lotion every day. He's one of the best stewards we've ever had.

They may still be under contract at the higher price.

I just wish they would stop paying big bucks to "celebrity" chefs (Norman Love, Curtis Stone) for their name/menu items.

They should have enough talent in-house to design appealing menus.

Just my opinion.

Agree with the above about oil prices. And I am sure the vendor that Princess uses will not renegotiate right now either.:(

Also, I could care less about Love & Stone. :(

If you go on a 7 day cruise with the lousy chocolate @ $0.50 per piece, you are getting $7 worth of chocolate. A bit of an overreaction to the loss of $7 worth of candy in my opinion. If you really need that candy, bring a bag on board and have your spouse put them on the pillow for you.

DON

Princess is actually looking at replacing the daily chocolates with Norman Love chocobanana. As those are much more expensive, if that happens, you'll still get your chocolates but only twice during a cruise.

We were on Regal in November and had Norman Love give a food talk. He had just got back from France where he was developing a new pillow chocolate specifically for Princess. Didn't say what they would have, but clearly something is coming. Hope it isn't a banana type, but we did hear it directly from him.