Splendid Scandinavia

CanEcosse

We are on Nautica in the Baltic Copenhagen to Southampton Aug 28th.

We have four free shore excursions. My question is how best to use them?

Best value for money? I'm thinking we may join a private group for St Petersburg like so many others do, so where should we use the ship's excursions and where should we do our own thing?

Edited by CanEcosse

We are on Nautica in the Baltic Copenhagen to Southampton Aug 28th.

We have four free shore excursions. My question is how best to use them?

Best value for money? I'm thinking we may join a private group for St Petersburg like so many others do, so where should we use the ship's excursions and where should we do our own thing?

I would look at the excursions offered then decide which ticks the boxes that suit your need/wants & interests

I would use a private excursion for St Petersburg. Less people on the tour. The basic tours that are part of the Olife promotion would not cover the depth of a private tour in St Pate's. You would have to use one of their more enhanced tours for immersion and that would cost a lot more than a privately arrange tour.

I would use a private excursion for St Petersburg. Less people on the tour. The basic tours that are part of the Olife promotion would not cover the depth of a private tour in St Pate's. You would have to use one of their more enhanced tours for immersion and that would cost a lot more than a privately arrange tour.

For St. Pete. a private tour is the way to go. Last Aug. we used Alla Tours for a 3 day tour. They were great and we saw everything and then some. :)

Agree use Alla or SPB Tours for St. Petersburg for sure! Looking at your itinerary I'd suggest using an O tour for Tallin as it's not very large. Also Visby would be a good bet. You want to set up the "best possible" tours of SPB, Berlin, Amsterdam, and Stockholm (especially if you've never been to these amazing cities). That usually means a private small group tour arranged on your own. :)

Agree use Alla or SPB Tours for St. Petersburg for sure! Looking at your itinerary I'd suggest using an O tour for Tallin as it's not very large. Also Visby would be a good bet. You want to set up the "best possible" tours of SPB, Berlin, Amsterdam, and Stockholm (especially if you've never been to these amazing cities). That usually means a private small group tour arranged on your own. :)

In Tallin if the ship docks where it did the two times we were there then you can walk into town. Not much else to see than the town. Quite nice. Berlin a long way off. Take a ships tour. A lot of money to do on your own and a very long drive.

In Tallin if the ship docks where it did the two times we were there then you can walk into town. Not much else to see than the town. Quite nice. Berlin a long way off. Take a ships tour. A lot of money to do on your own and a very long drive.

I agree with this advice

• 1 year later...

do you have any tours you suggest for berlin and stockholm?

Stockholm you can do on your own. Berlin is a very long day. It takes hours to get there. Personally I would forego the o life free tours and take an onboard credit. You can arrange for better tours with less people if you DIY.

Stockholm you can do on your own. Berlin is a very long day. It takes hours to get there. Personally I would forego the o life free tours and take an onboard credit. You can arrange for better tours with less people if you DIY.

thats what we are going to do.

is there a berlin one you recommend?

and when you say stockholm on your own do you mean take a paid tour on your own or literally just walk around and see things on your own without a guide?

thanks

thats what we are going to do.

is there a berlin one you recommend?

and when you say stockholm on your own do you mean take a paid tour on your own or literally just walk around and see things on your own without a guide?

thanks

We decided to not do Berlin as we felt there just wasn't enough time to do it justice. We took a train from Warnemunde into Rostock then returned to Warnemunde and spent a lovely afternoon there. It is a beach community. As for Stockholm, we purchased a city card before we left home which allowed us free bus/boat transport , admission to VAsa and other venues. So we just bussed and boated all around. It was fun. Tallinn we just walked to the upper old city but took a cab back to port. St Pete we did Alla tour and it was wonderful. Helsinki we just hopped on the trolley and rode around, getting off here and there. The Baltics is still our favorite cruise. I envy you. Have a wonderful trip

We decided to not do Berlin as we felt there just wasn't enough time to do it justice. We took a train from Warnemunde into Rostock then returned to Warnemunde and spent a lovely afternoon there. It is a beach community. As for Stockholm, we purchased a city card before we left home which allowed us free bus/boat transport , admission to VAsa and other venues. So we just bussed and boated all around. It was fun. Tallinn we just walked to the upper old city but took a cab back to port. St Pete we did Alla tour and it was wonderful. Helsinki we just hopped on the trolley and rode around, getting off here and there. The Baltics is still our favorite cruise. I envy you. Have a wonderful trip

thanks for the info!

this will only be my second time to europe and my second cruise.

taking my mom for her 75th bday. we were going to do croatia but everyone said it would be too hot and crowded in august. im actually more excited for this one! :-)

do you remember which alla tour you did for st. p?

Edited by bethsanfrancisco
misspelled alla

Just Google Alla tours and check out their website. The best thing to do is to take their full 3 day tour. It would be too expensive for just the 2 of you but Alla will put you in a group with others on your cruise to make the cost more reasonable.You may compare this with SPB tours - very much like Alla.

See which one works out better for you.FWIW - see if they could include Faberge museum in your itinerary one day - well worth it IMO.

Also, if you are there on a Monday, have them visit the Hermitage on Monday when it's closed to the public and you'll be there virtually alone - can't beat that.

Just Google Alla tours and check out their website. The best thing to do is to take their full 3 day tour. It would be too expensive for just the 2 of you but Alla will put you in a group with others on your cruise to make the cost more reasonable.You may compare this with SPB tours - very much like Alla.

See which one works out better for you.FWIW - see if they could include Faberge museum in your itinerary one day - well worth it IMO.

Also, if you are there on a Monday, have them visit the Hermitage on Monday when it's closed to the public and you'll be there virtually alone - can't beat that.

ohhhhh the faberge museum sounds interesting.. thanks.

we are there on a thursday and a friday.... just 2 days

I wish we could get this much discussion about this on our Roll call for this cruise. There is about a 1000 times more information here than on our Roll Call. I wish the moderator could make a copy of it there.

For anyone on this cruise(or even if you're not) feel free to come post on the roll call here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2434475

ohhhhh the faberge museum sounds interesting.. thanks.

we are there on a thursday and a friday.... just 2 days

Faberge Museum is nice, but there is not that much Faberge to see in it. . Only need an hour or 2 to see it. There might be other things more worthwhile to see depending on your time. Sounds better than it really is.

Faberge Museum is nice, but there is not that much Faberge to see in it. . Only need an hour or 2 to see it. There might be other things more worthwhile to see depending on your time. Sounds better than it really is.

ok, thanks for the info!

an hour or 2 in one museum is about all i can handle anyway.

Beth,

The NY Times travel section this week has an article on how best to see a museum. The expert's advice was never spend more than 2 hours in a museum, even a smaller one ... you lose focus when you see too much.

She also suggested eating something before you go so that you don't think so much about your hunger that you can't concentrate on the exhibits.

Mura

ok, thanks for the info!

an hour or 2 in one museum is about all i can handle anyway.

The point of seeing this museum is that it is one of a kind. There are many great art museums all around the world but only one Faberge collection (if that kind of art interests you). Also, it is in a beautifully renovated palace - an architectural masterpiece in itself and a glimpse into the life of Russian nobility of the past.

That said, in only 2 days there is much to see in SPB and you'll have to make some tough choices as you won't be able to see everything.

Enjoy whatever you do get to see.

The point of seeing this museum is that it is one of a kind. There are many great art museums all around the world but only one Faberge collection (if that kind of art interests you). Also, it is in a beautifully renovated palace - an architectural masterpiece in itself and a glimpse into the life of Russian nobility of the past.

That said, in only 2 days there is much to see in SPB and you'll have to make some tough choices as you won't be able to see everything.

Enjoy whatever you do get to see.

Not quite true. There are many Faberge collections around the world including the one that was in N.Y. The Forbes Collection. Not there any more, but not in St. Pete. either. A nice collection in the Hermitage also. The museum is very good but not the only place to see these things.

Not quite true. There are many Faberge collections around the world including the one that was in N.Y. The Forbes Collection. Not there any more, but not in St. Pete. either.

That's the whole point - it's not in NYC any more but it is in SPB.

The owner of this museum purchased the ENTIRE Forbes collection of Faberge eggs and they are on display in SPB; it is by far the largest collection of these Faberge eggs. There are a few individual ones in other peoples' possession (like Queen Elizabeth II - not likely she will allow us to see her egg any time soon :D; or any other individual that owns one for that matter). I believe there are a few in Kremlin's treasury as well but not nearly as many as in SPB.

There was a traveling exhibit of Faberge items - was in San Francisco as well - but you'd have to be in the right city when it travels (if it still does).

However, we know that it is in SPB and it is extensive, filling many rooms.

That's the whole point - it's not in NYC any more but it is in SPB.

The owner of this museum purchased the ENTIRE Forbes collection of Faberge eggs and they are on display in SPB; it is by far the largest collection of these Faberge eggs. There are a few individual ones in other peoples' possession (like Queen Elizabeth II - not likely she will allow us to see her egg any time soon :D; or any other individual that owns one for that matter). I believe there are a few in Kremlin's treasury as well but not nearly as many as in SPB.

There was a traveling exhibit of Faberge items - was in San Francisco as well - but you'd have to be in the right city when it travels (if it still does).

However, we know that it is in SPB and it is extensive, filling many rooms.

well, dang,... i live in SF. i couldve knocked it off my list. haha

anyway, its on my list for spb. so far its the only thing in the list.

but the cruise isnt until aug 2018, so ive got time to add more. :-)

well, dang,... i live in SF. i couldve knocked it off my list. haha

anyway, its on my list for spb. so far its the only thing in the list.

but the cruise isnt until aug 2018, so ive got time to add more. :-)

You have to do your homework on this - Google is your friend.

Individual entrance and tickets are tricky as I recall - best done though your agent there (Alla, SPB tours, etc) - they will know the ropes.

BTW - The exhibit in SF was several years ago :)