are there mosquitoes on board?

tpcruiser2222

My extended family is doing a Norwegian Mexican Riviera cruise in a week. My sister in law is ten weeks pregnant and is worried about going since the news of the mosquito disease outbreak, which causes birth defects. She is wondering if she stays on board the ship the whole time and skips doing the excursions at the ports, will she be safe from the risk of being bitten by mosquitoes? The cruise line has strongly recommended she get a refund and not go at all! But we will be so sad if her family stays home, if not for a good reason. Are they just covering their butts? Or will she be safe on the ship? We need some good sources of information on this! Thanks for any help.

My extended family is doing a Norwegian Mexican Riviera cruise in a week. My sister in law is ten weeks pregnant and is worried about going since the news of the mosquito disease outbreak, which causes birth defects. She is wondering if she stays on board the ship the whole time and skips doing the excursions at the ports, will she be safe from the risk of being bitten by mosquitoes? The cruise line has strongly recommended she get a refund and not go at all! But we will be so sad if her family stays home, if not for a good reason. Are they just covering their butts? Or will she be safe on the ship? We need some good sources of information on this! Thanks for any help.

Never had mosquitoes on board even in the Panama Canal.

I've never encountered a mosquito on a ship but I would strongly urge you to get info from the cdc....listening to npr today and there is a tiny hint that this virus may end up being passed from person to person.....I just heard 5 min ago on the CBS news that Puerto Rico and the usvi are now also included....if this was my daughter or daughter-in-law I would be rescheduling...

No one can guarantee anything. Personally, if the cruise line was offering a full refund and I was in her position, I'd be taking it.

The CDC recommends against travel to Zika regions:

Recommendations for Pregnant Women Considering Travel to an Area of Zika Virus Transmission

Because there is neither a vaccine nor prophylactic medications available to prevent Zika virus infection, CDC recommends that all pregnant women consider postponing travel to areas where Zika virus transmission is ongoing (10). If a pregnant woman travels to an area with Zika virus transmission, she should be advised to strictly follow steps to avoid mosquito bites (11,12). Mosquitoes that spread Zika virus bite both indoors and outdoors, mostly during the daytime; therefore, it is important to ensure protection from mosquitoes throughout the entire day (13). Mosquito prevention strategies include wearing long-sleeved shirts and long pants, using U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)–registered insect repellents, using permethrin-treated clothing and gear, and staying and sleeping in screened-in or air-conditioned rooms. When used as directed on the product label, insect repellents containing DEET, picaridin, and IR3535 are safe for pregnant women (14,15). Further guidelines for using insect repellents are available online (http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/avoid-bug-bites) (11,15).

United and American Airlines are now offering refunds for people who had travel plans to the Zika regions. Am guessing other airlines will follow. I would take this seriously.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2016/01/26/united-offer-refunds-waivers-travel-zika-affected-regions/79366334/

Edited by 6rugrats

You may encounter mosquitoes in the Panama Canal....you are RIGHT THERE...BESIDE LAND...

It's hot as hell..humid, too..long sleeves/pants ain't gonna cut it there....it's HOT!

I wouldn't cruise if I was expecting...at least...not where this virus is likely.

Give it time..it will fade away..but now, it's new, and can be lethal to a child.

All reports by doctors I have heard in recent days have flat out said pregnant women should not travel to areas where that mosquito has been found.

No cruise/vacation is worth the horrid risk of what could happen to her baby from one mosquito bite.

Cruise lines seem to be giving credits to be used at a future time when pregnant women cancel.

You may encounter mosquitoes in the Panama Canal....you are RIGHT THERE...BESIDE LAND... It's hot as hell..humid, too..long sleeves/pants ain't gonna cut it there....it's HOT!...

OP is not cruising the Panama Canal. Did you not read that in the first sentence?

My extended family is doing a Norwegian Mexican Riviera cruise in a week.

1) I've never encountered a mosquito on board. (Including Panama)

2) I believe the threat is real.

3) I would not take the chance with the health and safety of my child. Take the money and enjoy a future cruise with a healthy offspring.

JMHO

Charlie

I've never encountered a mosquito on a ship but I would strongly urge you to get info from the cdc....listening to npr today and there is a tiny hint that this virus may end up being passed from person to person.....I just heard 5 min ago on the CBS news that Puerto Rico and the usvi are now also included....if this was my daughter or daughter-in-law I would be rescheduling...

I heard the same thing today on one TV channel or another.

Your sister in law needs to speak with her obstetrician. His or her advice is ultimately what she should be heeding right now.

I agree.

You will generally not find mosquitoes onboard while underway, the breeze is too much (just like the critters go hide when its windy at home). However, in port, there is the chance of them being around the ship. The one preventative that is recommended is DEET, but this is not recommended for pregnant women, so I would not recommend she take the cruise.

Seriously, you want to poll strangers on the internet whether a pregnant woman should risk the life of her baby by going on a cruise into a potentially dangerous area? A cruise is trivial compared to her baby's health.

Use CDC recommendations.

As I wrote to some previous question about the same thing.

If CDC says no, dont go. If the child is born severaly redarded and or dies how can any motehr live with the thought that they took the risk knowing what might happen. It only takes one mosquito. And no one can say that there are no mosquitoes on board as they do travel in bags and on people too.

I was bitten on my cruise ship as I slept the evening of the first day at sea - not embarkation day, but the day after. Luckily, I am not of child-bearing age, but IMO, your baby should be and I'm sure is your first priority. It's just not worth the risk. Take a look at this map which clearly shows there is Zika in the last 9 months in the Mexican Riviera:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=zika+virus+map&view=detailv2&&id=F4BA95EDD13E76B4867A87B4E273C8A0E1B0848C&selectedIndex=7&ccid=ulXeX3pX&simid=608035858089312509&thid=OIP.Mba55de5f7a57523b1c051a0492f5d069o0&ajaxhist=0

If I were pregnant, I would not go on this cruise under any circumstances. Perhaps you could all change course and cruise to the Med or Canada or Alaska?

No, she probably will not contract Zika if she stays on the ship. I say "probably" because you can never totally eliminate all risk. She probably will not fall overboard and probably will not fall on a slippery deck and crack her head open. The risk of either of these events are likely similar to her risk of contracting Zika--near zero.

I have never seen a mosquito on a cruise ship. In port, the ship docks hundreds of yards away from a mosquito's habitat. Is it possible that a mosquito could hitch a ride on a cruise ship? Yes, but the odds that a mosquito gets on the ship and carries Zika and bites your sister are so outrageously low its not worth stressing over.

In fact, she's probably decreasing her overall risk to the baby by staying on the ship and eliminating the risk of getting hit by a car, kidnapped, murdered, or contracting some other tropical disease.

Edited by EmperorCorey

Sure, and there is only a 17% chance a revolver would go Boom if you play Russian roulette. But why risk it? In the rare event a mosquito finds and bites a pregnant woman on the ship, it is the unborn that will have to pay the ultimate price and suffer for life. Can one live with this regret as a future mom?

Edited by sfaaa

Sure, and there is only a 17% chance a revolver would go Boom if you play Russian roulette. But why risk it? In the rare event a mosquito finds and bites a pregnant woman on the ship, it is the unborn that will have to pay the ultimate price and suffer for life. Can one live with this regret as a future mom?

Straw man. Who said anything about Russian roulette? If she asked about Russian roulette, I would have strongly advised against it.

Why would she risk going on a cruise? Because, as addressed in my previous post, there is essentially no risk if she stays on the ship, and expectant mothers should not be expected to be agoraphobes throughout the entirety of their pregnancy.

Edited by EmperorCorey

I would take the refund, I agree with the other posts that it's not worth the risk to the mother and child. Hopefully you all have long lives ahead of you, so taking a cruise later on might be a better plan than looking back and being sorry.

I did hear, however, that DEET and other bug repellants are strongly recommended for everyone's use in areas with the Zika virus (especially pregnant women) by an obstetrician who specializes in birth defects.