Can you do a cash account?

WrittenOnYourHeart

I'm booked for a 2/18/17 cruise on the Reflection!! YAY!! :)

I know I'm getting WAAAAAAY ahead of myself here, but I like to think through everything so I can plan!!

My preference when I cruise is to purchase some OBC ahead of time to cover what I think I might spend (I prepay my gratuities - or in this case have them paid for me - and this time I'll have a beverage package, so I'm thinking I'll buy enough OBC to be able to upgrade the package from Classic to Premium if I choose and maybe get a couple of spa treatments) and leave the account as cash. Then go throughout the cruise to settle anything I might have spent over my purchased (or given) OBC. That's never been a problem on Disney or RCCL - HAL required that I put down a cash deposit, which since I knew I was able to put that money aside.

I've tried to search the X website, but it's not the most user-friendly thing to search for questions, and their FAQ is definitely not user-friendly. Can you set up the account as cash on X? And do you need to put down a cash deposit?

I do have a card, but I try to leave that for absolute emergencies only.

Yes. It is lots easier to put a credit card on file. They will simply take your prepaid OBC first and then if you owed anything charge your card. The account is exactly the same except a notation you will settle the account in cash.

I've never tried setting up a cash account onboard -- but, I have been really tempted, after getting bogus mini-bar charges on my credit card, post-cruise. (Both times it happened, we'd had the mini-bar emptied, on day one.)

A fellow roll-caller's experience did serve as a cautionary tale, however. He always used a cash account onboard, and went down to the GR desk the last evening of every cruise to make sure his account was settled up.

But one time while disembarking, his card made that dreaded noise (not the pleasant BO-ING that we love to hear).:eek: He was pulled out of line by security, and sent to the GR desk, to resolve an issue with his bill. Turns out, they owed him a small amount of $$, that had not been caught on his account until that morning. After collecting his money, he raced back to the disembark line, where his card brayed at him once more. The security folks tried to send him back to the GR desk. At this point, his family members (who had gone on ahead) were frantically phoning him from the taxi line -- reminding him that they had a flight to catch. He finally convinced the security officer to call the GR desk -- who confirmed that his bill was indeed settled, and he could leave the ship. His wife had been able to get a taxi for them, and they made it to the airport in time -- barely.

So, although I hate having to make calls after the cruise to have invalid charges removed from my credit card bill -- I wouldn't want to risk missing my flight because the ship couldn't keep my account straight, either!

Edited by wwcruisers

I've never tried setting up a cash account onboard -- but, I have been really tempted, after getting bogus mini-bar charges on my credit card, post-cruise. (Both times it happened, we'd had the mini-bar emptied, on day one.)

A fellow roll-caller's experience did serve as a cautionary tale, however. He always used a cash account onboard, and went down to the GR desk the last evening of every cruise to make sure his account was settled up.

But one time while disembarking, his card made that dreaded noise (not the pleasant BO-ING that we love to hear).:eek: He was pulled out of line by security, and sent to the GR desk, to resolve an issue with his bill. Turns out, they owed him a small amount of $$, that had not been caught on his account until that morning. After collecting his money, he raced back to the disembark line, where his card brayed at him once more. The security folks tried to send him back to the GR desk. At this point, his family members (who had gone on ahead) were frantically phoning him from the taxi line -- reminding him that they had a flight to catch. He finally convinced the security officer to call the GR desk -- who confirmed that his bill was indeed settled, and he could leave the ship. His wife had been able to get a taxi for them, and they made it to the airport in time -- barely.

So, although I hate having to make calls after the cruise to have invalid charges removed from my credit card bill -- I wouldn't want to risk missing my flight because the ship couldn't keep my account straight, either!

Two thoughts - Wondering how having a cash account would solve issues with charges since you still must pay for everything with your seapass. You cannot buy drinks etc with cash. The only difference is how you settle the bill at the end of the cruise isn't it?

Also you get your bill the last night delivered to your door and it is available in your room on the TV. Would it not be easier to review you bill while still on board to make sure it is correct? Also if you found a mistake after leaving the ship and you had settled your bill with cash; how would you resolve the problem? Your credit card company will not assist. Would it not be easier to have the ccard company on your side?

I think you are not entirely getting it that a cash account only means you settle your bill at the end of the cruise with cash instead of a credit card.

We have only ever set up cash accounts on our Celebrity cruises.

Sometimes we buy OBC before we go and other times settle up onboard.

If I remember rightly, last year we were called to guest relations a couple of times when we got to a certain amount, so we just gave them the cash.

If you buy OBC and have anything left at the end, they will give it to you in cash on the last day.

Thanks all!

Yeah, when I was on HAL to Alaska I did cash with the deposit. Closed out my account just before bed the last night. I was doing a departure day sightseeing tour with airport drop off on debarkation day since I had a red-eye flight that evening. Got to the door to leave and BONG. Ran back to guest services as I knew I had not charged anything else - I couldn't as my keycard was only good for my door and debarking. Turns out the girl who closed out my account didn't click a box so it didn't appear closed. So now when I close the account I triple ask if they have checked all the boxes.

Two thoughts - Wondering how having a cash account would solve issues with charges since you still must pay for everything with your seapass. You cannot buy drinks etc with cash. The only difference is how you settle the bill at the end of the cruise isn't it?

Also you get your bill the last night delivered to your door and it is available in your room on the TV. Would it not be easier to review you bill while still on board to make sure it is correct? Also if you found a mistake after leaving the ship and you had settled your bill with cash; how would you resolve the problem? Your credit card company will not assist. Would it not be easier to have the ccard company on your side?

I think you are not entirely getting it that a cash account only means you settle your bill at the end of the cruise with cash instead of a credit card.

Well, first of all -- the invalid charges to my credit card were made, after I left the ship -- always a bottle of this, or a can of that from the mini-bar that we did not use (and had emptied on day one). We always get a final bill, before leaving the ship -- as well as checking our inter-active account daily. None of these charges ever showed up until AFTER we got home. And, if I weren't someone who goes over my credit card bill carefully, I would never have discovered the bogus charges. The reason a cash account would be preferable in that situation is that the cruise line can't post late charges to a card number that they never had, to begin with.

You do make a good point about having the credit card company "in your corner" if you have a dispute that can't be resolved. In my case, it's never gotten that far -- the problem has been resolved with a phone call (or two) to the cruise line. But, I don't appreciate having to take time after my cruise to clean up their mistakes.

Edited by wwcruisers

On our recent cruise , we gave our credit card info at check.-in. Oddly ,we received a final bill 2 days ahead of departure...never thought much of it..

When dh went to guest rel to make sure we had pre -paid tips...they said yes and we see you will pay the balance in cash...News to us...!

It got sorted out, but I can imagine how awful this would have been as we walked off(after waiting over an hr on line ) if we put our cards in the slot and it went ding ding ding...you did not pay!

Not sure how our check in agent messed it up.....but we will be checking and dbl checking from now on..

I'm booked for a 2/18/17 cruise on the Reflection!! YAY!! :)

I know I'm getting WAAAAAAY ahead of myself here, but I like to think through everything so I can plan!!

My preference when I cruise is to purchase some OBC ahead of time to cover what I think I might spend (I prepay my gratuities - or in this case have them paid for me - and this time I'll have a beverage package, so I'm thinking I'll buy enough OBC to be able to upgrade the package from Classic to Premium if I choose and maybe get a couple of spa treatments) and leave the account as cash. Then go throughout the cruise to settle anything I might have spent over my purchased (or given) OBC. That's never been a problem on Disney or RCCL - HAL required that I put down a cash deposit, which since I knew I was able to put that money aside.

I've tried to search the X website, but it's not the most user-friendly thing to search for questions, and their FAQ is definitely not user-friendly. Can you set up the account as cash on X? And do you need to put down a cash deposit?

I do have a card, but I try to leave that for absolute emergencies only.

Yep.

My preference is to put down the card then go down last night and pay cash, there then might be a drink or something that goes on my account the last day but I don't have to line up to pay the final bits or get a refund, the last night is usually quieter.

Yep.

My preference is to put down the card then go down last night and pay cash, there then might be a drink or something that goes on my account the last day but I don't have to line up to pay the final bits or get a refund, the last night is usually quieter.

Agree, best way to work it if you don't want a credit card bill.

Well, first of all -- the invalid charges to my credit card were made, after I left the ship -- always a bottle of this, or a can of that from the mini-bar that we did not use (and had emptied on day one). We always get a final bill, before leaving the ship -- as well as checking our inter-active account daily. None of these charges ever showed up until AFTER we got home. And, if I weren't someone who goes over my credit card bill carefully, I would never have discovered the bogus charges. The reason a cash account would be preferable in that situation is that the cruise line can't post late charges to a card number that they never had, to begin with.

You do make a good point about having the credit card company "in your corner" if you have a dispute that can't be resolved. In my case, it's never gotten that far -- the problem has been resolved with a phone call (or two) to the cruise line. But, I don't appreciate having to take time after my cruise to clean up their mistakes.

Absolutely amazed that additional things are billed after the fact. We do always speak to the cabin steward and make sure that they know the box of mini fridge stuff is still all there - I fill it with diet root beer - interesting and a bit disturbing. Do wonder since X told me even a cash account requires a credit card on file if a cash account would do the job?

I have always done cash. The last night after 11 PM. I settle up with whatever remained. You do need to put some money down or have OBC the first day (second day if OBC. Then if you start getting in the hole to much they will ask for more money.

I have also on the last night given them my CC to cover any more expenses.

I did a cash account on my recent Millennium cruise. What I was told is that it wasn't required to put a deposit down, but that once I had incurred a certain amount of charges that my card wouldn't be accepted onboard for charging until I had paid some of my balance off. My understanding is that the amount was based on stateroom type. Since I was in an Oceanview, the amount was $500 that I could charge without having to put money down, or that my balance could get to before they would call me to ask me to make a payment.

I put down less than I planned to spend total, but enough so i wouldn't be running to pay all the time, and then paid the balance on the last night. Easy.

YMMV.

• 8 months later...

On my last, X cruise the card I had used to register was compromised. So for safety's sake and my piece of mind I selected Cash Account. I have read through the thread and have noticed they may or may not require a cash deposit. Is this true? I have a very healthy OBC account already, I may deposit more, however if I need to hand over more cash I won't. Anyone with this experience?

Thanks SAILING in 78 days😃😃😃

• 2 months later...

I want to make sure I have this right. My kids have no credit card. They do have $225. Obc for a 6 night cruise. They have tips paid and beverage pkg. From what I have read they should not need a deposit. When doing the online checkin does it allow you to select cash? Thanks.

You really don't need to use the method of payment you put on the online checkin form.

Once on the ship, you can change it to however you want it. It is easiest to give them a credit card to "hold" the account, then pay it off in cash on the last evening or afternoon...that way, you'll have a minimal amount (if anything) on the credit card.

Folks who pay everything in advance (tips, drinks) usually have a very small balance due.

They could get a basic low limit credit card and put a credit on it to cover any expenses they may occur. Much safer than taking cash.When travelling, you never know when an unexpected expense will come along. Not to mention,it's time for your "kids" have some kind of credit history for the future when the need may arise.

I did a cash account this past cruise for the first time because I typically don't use my credit card and only use a debit card. With a debit card they put a hold on a certain amount. I felt that it was fine until I had to use the infirmary. I had planned for everything and was only doing a small cash account. I agree that a small credit card would be best, even if a secured card is what you to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to make sure I have this right. My kids have no credit card. They do have $225. Obc for a 6 night cruise. They have tips paid and beverage pkg. From what I have read they should not need a deposit. When doing the online checkin does it allow you to select cash? Thanks.

They could get a basic low limit credit card and put a credit on it to cover any expenses they may occur. Much safer than taking cash.When travelling, you never know when an unexpected expense will come along. Not to mention,it's time for your "kids" have some kind of credit history for the future when the need may arise.

I assume that "kids" refer to children not old enough (18) to have a credit card of their own.