Keeping track of wifi minutes

cruisingram1

I know that I will need to put my my iPhone in airplane mode and turn the wifi connection on in order to use Princess at Sea. This will allow me to use the ship's intranet for free to access the daily schedule and message other passengers. Simple enough.

But I think I am going to purchase an Internet package. How does one log on and off within the Princess app? Since one is charged by the minute, what is the most efficient way to use one's minutes? And most of all, how do I keep track of how many minutes I've used? If I go over, does the Internet no longer work or am I billed for overcharges without my knowing? My iPhone still has unlimited data so I'm pretty spoiled and never have to watch my usage.

The paid internet uses your web browser to log on, and importantly, to log off. At log off it tells you how many minutes you have left.

We have found that it is best to use a local word processing program to write emails and any long communications in advance of logging on the internet. Then it becomes a quick copy and paste, then send while online.

And if you are bringing a device you haven't used regularly, make sure you log on to email before leaving home, so your server will transfer all outstanding email to your device while you have the free bandwidth. We have a small "netbook" type of PC that we used for vacations and once made the mistake of not prepping it. The first time it logged on to email onboard it seemed like forever to bring the program up because it was downloading dozens of email headers (and some content) on a very slow bandwidth connection.

I know that I will need to put my my iPhone in airplane mode and turn the wifi connection on in order to use Princess at Sea. This will allow me to use the ship's intranet for free to access the daily schedule and message other passengers. Simple enough.

But I think I am going to purchase an Internet package. How does one log on and off within the Princess app? Since one is charged by the minute, what is the most efficient way to use one's minutes? And most of all, how do I keep track of how many minutes I've used? If I go over, does the Internet no longer work or am I billed for overcharges without my knowing? My iPhone still has unlimited data so I'm pretty spoiled and never have to watch my usage.

For your internet minutes you sign in to go to the internet & when you logout it shows your current usage & the remaining minutes in your internet plan.

The most efficient way to use minutes is to download your emails to your mobile device, sign out, compose your replies & the next time you sign in to the internet your replies are sent. I've never gone over my minute limits so don't know how it's handled.

Before Princess@Sea it was easier to unintentionally not logout properly. If that happens talk to the Internet Cafe manager who can see your minutes used without much data used & can reissue minutes for an opps! ;)

There are lots of areas that are better than other locations. On our Hawaii cruise this month our cabin access was horrible. Had to open the balcony door or the cabin door to the hallway in order to get connections. Most public areas were fine for connectivity. Be sure to log off and double check that you did by putting "logout.com" without the quotes in the browser address area and hit the enter button. As others have said the Princess website will let you know how many minutes you have left. Have a great cruise.

Are there any areas of the ship where connection is better and thus a more efficient use of ones minutes? Like maybe at the Internet café?

My experience has been that in most public areas such as the atrium there is a good connection but in some cabins not as good.

There are lots of areas that are better than other locations. On our Hawaii cruise this month our cabin access was horrible. Had to open the balcony door or the cabin door to the hallway in order to get connections. Most public areas were fine for connectivity. Be sure to log off and double check that you did by putting "logout.com" without the quotes in the browser address area and hit the enter button. As others have said the Princess website will let you know how many minutes you have left. Have a great cruise.

Correct. Being on the balcony with the doors shut is not a good idea. Public areas are the best. Inside the cabin proper works fine.

Since one is charged by the minute, what is the most efficient way to use one's minutes?

One tip. If you wish to send a short information e-mail to friends & family you can choose to send the free Princess e-post card. It does not use any of your mins. The only issue is that you have to enter the full e-mail address(s), so have these available. I don't know if this option is available on a wi-fi device, but these post cards can be sent from the internet cafe. Princess also has some free sites available such as Princess.com. Check it out.

It's been said before.... but I repeat it's importance.... triple check you have logged off. It was an expensive lesson for me.

Airplane mode does NOT count.

Edited by xlxo

It's been said before.... but I repeat it's importance.... triple check you have logged off. It was an expensive lesson for me.

Airplane mode does NOT count.

When you failed to log out, did you use up all your paid in advance minutes, and then Princess started charging you by the minute for your over use? Or when you used up your minutes, did it no longer allow you to log on?

When you failed to log out, did you use up all your paid in advance minutes, and then Princess started charging you by the minute for your over use? Or when you used up your minutes, did it no longer allow you to log on?

With the new system that was recently installed, when your minutes reach "0" you will be automatically logged off.

The old system kept running and you could end up being charged.

Another thing about the new system. If you are doing a B2B and haven't used all of your minutes on the first leg, they will roll over and you can't access the "new" minutes on the second leg until you finish using the "old" minutes.

With the new system that was recently installed, when your minutes reach "0" you will be automatically logged off..

Glad Princess added this safeguard to the new system. It would be terrible to use up one's prepaid minutes in error, but even worse to unknowingly use minutes that cost additional.

Correct. Being on the balcony with the doors shut is not a good idea. Public areas are the best. Inside the cabin proper works fine.

Not sure what you mean by being on the balcony with the doors shut. I didn't do that. And inside our cabin the WIFI did not work fine. That is why I left the balcony door open. It was the only way I could connect while in the cabin more often than not. Also needed to actually open the door to the hall in order to log off when I lost the signal part of the time. So, no, in some cabins it does not work fine.

We compose emails offline then cut/paste and log on.

Using my Apple mobile devices I can download emails, sign off, compose replies & click send to store our replies in the Outbox and the next time I sign in they're sent...with no cut & paste required. ;)

One tip. If you wish to send a short information e-mail to friends & family you can choose to send the free Princess e-post card. It does not use any of your mins. The only issue is that you have to enter the full e-mail address(s), so have these available. I don't know if this option is available on a wi-fi device, but these post cards can be sent from the internet cafe. Princess also has some free sites available such as Princess.com. Check it out.

In October 2015 sailing on the Crown the Princess@Sea system was fully functional & on my mobile devices I was unable to locate the e-card or previously free sites like Princess.com.

I'm sailing the Crown again this spring & will search for them again. I think that some ships may have a different system now & with the new system on the Crown I couldn't find those options anywhere. :(

In October 2015 sailing on the Crown the Princess@Sea system was fully functional & on my mobile devices I was unable to locate the e-card or previously free sites like Princess.com.

I'm sailing the Crown again this spring & will search for them again. I think that some ships may have a different system now & with the new system on the Crown I couldn't find those options anywhere. :(

With the new system, you have to open a new tab and type "princess.com". This will take you to the website. If you aren't logged into the internet, it is free.

I use LastPass. I would log out from the internet keeping the Princess@Sea app open on my computer, click on the Princess shortcut in LastPass and it would open a new tab and log me in. All while I was officially disconnected from the internet.

Didn't look for the e-cards.

Using my Apple mobile devices I can download emails, sign off, compose replies & click send to store our replies in the Outbox and the next time I sign in they're sent...with no cut & paste required. ;)

That sounds like the best option for my iPhone too. I get a lot of junk mail, which unfortunately, will download with the usable mail. Not sure there's any way to avoid this. But will log off and reply off line as suggested.

That sounds like the best option for my iPhone too. I get a lot of junk mail, which unfortunately, will download with the usable mail. Not sure there's any way to avoid this. But will log off and reply off line as suggested.

Maybe a techie could answer this question...if only seeing email listed in the Junk folder without opening any does it use much data? :confused:

I quickly view the list of Junk mail without opening them, move ones I want to view to my inbox & then choose "Edit", "Delete All", and confirm "Delete All" to send the unread Junk mail to the Trash folder.

For your internet minutes you sign in to go to the internet & when you logout it shows your current usage & the remaining minutes in your internet plan.

The most efficient way to use minutes is to download your emails to your mobile device, sign out, compose your replies & the next time you sign in to the internet your replies are sent. I've never gone over my minute limits so don't know how it's handled.

Before Princess@Sea it was easier to unintentionally not logout properly. If that happens talk to the Internet Cafe manager who can see your minutes used without much data used & can reissue minutes for an opps! ;)

Frank;

It was easy for me to do it afterwards as well.....:D:D:D

Bob

Not sure what you mean by being on the balcony with the doors shut. I didn't do that. And inside our cabin the WIFI did not work fine. That is why I left the balcony door open. It was the only way I could connect while in the cabin more often than not. Also needed to actually open the door to the hall in order to log off when I lost the signal part of the time. So, no, in some cabins it does not work fine.

The internet router on the cabin decks is located in the hallway. Ask your cabin steward where the router is. I have had to ask and he was happy to share. On many cruises, I have had to exit the cabin and go into the hallway to connect. If you are lucky enough to have a cabin near the router location, you should not gave a problem connecting.

The internet router on the cabin decks is located in the hallway. Ask your cabin steward where the router is. I have had to ask and he was happy to share. On many cruises, I have had to exit the cabin and go into the hallway to connect. If you are lucky enough to have a cabin near the router location, you should not gave a problem connecting.

I was not so lucky this time around. I know that the routers are located in the halls. However, I apparently was near one that was close to the outside because I had a better signal with the balcony door open than when it was closed. Even then the signal faded at times and I need to open the hallway door to make sure that I was actually logged off correctly.