how to ruin a cruise line and

Stakeout

Actually I think the new CEO is breathing life into the line. We haven't sailed on HAL since 2009 (instead sailing on RCI, Celebrity and Princess) but are returning this spring for a Med. cruise with an interesting itinerary.

We hope we won't be disappointed!

I'm glad you had the nerve to ask this very pertinent question. I don't expect an answer, however.

no better anywhere else.. or better yet.. I get free laundry.. I take it I am in the minority on this issue.. we shall see how long he lasts..I say he'll be gone sooner than later... ask around the ships that you cruise on about what they think of the new regime and the turmoil they have caused..you might not get an answer if they don't know you that well..so now you have your answer

no better anywhere else.. or better yet.. I get free laundry.. I take it I am in the minority on this issue.. we shall see how long he lasts..I say he'll be gone sooner than later... ask around the ships that you cruise on about what they think of the new regime and the turmoil they have caused..you might not get an answer if they don't know you that well..so now you have your answer

I don't think you are in the minority in believing HAL has gone downhill as has other lines; just in the view that Mr. Ashford should shoulder all of the blame.

Does anyone really believe that HAL was wonderful up until Dec 2014 and then went precipitously downhill in 2015 after Mr. Ashford was appointed??

I suspect Mr. Ashford did nothing in the first six months other than meet the staff, learn the business, clean up the mess, and figure out how to start breathing new life into the this old darling that has been on life support for the past several years.

I looked up his profile to understand his background and where he came from. I agree with you in that in his short time, he couldn't have made any ship changing decisions that wound drastically "ruin the cruise line". I am still waiting to hear what SPECIFICALLY he has done to make it go downhill. however, I can understand why some may not be comfortable with his leadership.

This doesn't answer the question. Turmoil has been going on for years. Ashford has actually created a bit of stability, ask any staff captain or MDR. We have.

Until Mr. Ashford comes aboard and takes the chocolate croissant out of my hands and steals my neptune lounge coffee...I'll be happily sailing Holland, even more so on the beautiful new Koningsdam.

I stand alongside you on this one and AMEN:D

After too many years of do nothing management and sleepy hollow attitude HAL needs a little shakeup and a little turmoil.

HAL did not suddenly get to where it is now. Old fleet, maintenance cutbacks impacting customer sat, only one ship on order/to be delivered.

Just compare HAL to a few others like Celebrity or Princess in terms of bringing new ships into the fleet and retiring worn out tubs. Or compare any innovations or changes at HAL over the past few years compared to other lines. Very little change. Management by remaining in idle and not moving forward is a recipe for disaster. That is where HAL was/is headed.

Edited by iancal

Agree about bad mouthing the boss is a very bad idea. However, there are many ways to answer a question about the boss without "bad mouthing" or giving "phony" positive raves.

IMO, yes there have been changes I have not particularly liked over the past 10 years, but I still had a terrific 55 days experience on a HAL ship this past fall. 99% pleased with a wonderful experience. Why only 99% - well nothing is perfect. However, what I may not have loved - others did.

ask around the ships that you cruise on about what they think of the new regime and the turmoil they have caused..you might not get an answer if they don't know you that well..so now you have your answer

Actually, you could see complaints about the new regime as a positive. If you have a new manager who is intent on shaking things up and making changes, you will have complaints from those who liked the old ways.

Actually, you could see complaints about the new regime as a positive. If you have a new manager who is intent on shaking things up and making changes, you will have complaints from those who liked the old ways.

Interesting point. However, since the OP continues to evade revealing any specifics, who knows what the complaints are.

I Have seen this phenomenon first hand, I worked in a Library for 35 years and saw numerous changes in management. The new management invariably would make all sorts of changes to justify their existence. These changes were rarely an improvement. The rank and file employees had long ago organized the workplace nearly to perfection. After new management used up the budget for useless changes, they would resort to renaming offices. Thus the Personnel Office becomes the Human Resource Management Office. But the people who worked in the Personnel office perform the same duties as before.

I Have seen this phenomenon first hand, I worked in a Library for 35 years and saw numerous changes in management. The new management invariably would make all sorts of changes to justify their existence. These changes were rarely an improvement. The rank and file employees had long ago organized the workplace nearly to perfection. After new management used up the budget for useless changes, they would resort to renaming offices. Thus the Personnel Office becomes the Human Resource Management Office. But the people who worked in the Personnel office perform the same duties as before.

Ah yes - bureaucracy at its best.;)

Ahhhh we had one of those .....all those pretty diplomas and certifications and a resume as long as your arm , and she had no idea how to do the job the most rookie employee could. And NOOOOO people skills We are a well oiled( if not slightly unorthodox ) machine that got the job done for many years before her. But it wasn't the way some Professor told her it should be done so we became Romper Room with good little boy and girls (or else) and a lousy track record.

It took 6 years , and a new mayor but we finally got rid of her and have gone back to the old way :)

• 2 months later...
This doesn't answer the question. Turmoil has been going on for years. Ashford has actually created a bit of stability, ask any staff captain or MDR. We have.

that is NOT what I have heard not in the least.. he is NOT liked by any of the staff --higher ups or in the trenches.. keep on reading this forum daily and more and more complaints from seasoned HAL cruisers are popping up... I stand by my original assessment

Edited by Stakeout

I can fully understand why managers do not like him. He is not one of the old boys and hopefully he will shake these guys awake. Some will probably move on or be moved on.

HAL has been going downhill for 10 years. Not only that, they have not kept up with the industry in any way. This team, IMHO, needs a darn good shakeup and a good 'housecleaning'. Time for some new, forward looking blood right down to operational management.

My guess is that some of their managers, when it comes down to moving into the new building, will be so sound asleep that they won't even notice the move and will report on a Monday to an empty building.

I suspect that we will not know what Ashford is really all about for another year. No doubt he will re-organize and then re-organize again in six months or so after he has had chance to work with the team. I wish him good luck-HAL needs him.

Agreed.

R

Not even the most ardent cheerleader could use 'HAL' and "innovative" in the same sentence. It is laughable.

How much wiggle room is there to be innovative, when the old farts can't even tolerate a little music by the pool? That's what's laughable

How much wiggle room is there to be innovative, when the old farts can't even tolerate a little music by the pool? That's what's laughable

You want music by the pool? That's why they invented iPods. That's what this "old fart" uses. Plus, the music is better than anything played anywhere on a cruise ship.

I am fairly certain that Mr. Ashford does not really care how 'popular' he is with the managers or with the staff. He will be goaled on increasing revenue, profit, and customer satisfaction. It is not a popularity contest.

His very first responsibility is to HAL shareholders, ie Carnival Corp and Carnival shareholders. Then the customers. After that the employees and the supplies/business partners.

In addition to renewing their aging fleet HAL needs to reach out to a whole new cadre of cruisers. People who have moved away from HAL to other lines, people who cruise other lines, and people who have not yet cruised. Lots of challenges for him because I certainly did not think the past management did much of that.

Different isn't it?

Personally, I like the "art gallery" aspect of HAL: something for everyone. Really makes you think about style, juxtaposition of form and colour, different art periods, etc.

Not too much of the "boring beige" style on HAL.

One of the things we find interesting about HAL was "items" with personality. After being on HAL and then sailing Princess, Princess does seem more beige and we actually miss HAL color and personality.

You want music by the pool? That's why they invented iPods. That's what this "old fart" uses. Plus, the music is better than anything played anywhere on a cruise ship.

Ipod?- I didn't even know they still made those. I ditched those and loaded all of my music on my phone.

Stakeout still hasn't provided one specific reason that HAL has or will be ruined, after 4 months. I suppose because the reasoning is subjective. As a result, it will only show that the comment is based opinion on and no facts. While that opinion has no basis, the thread is amusing.

Edited by CruisinHarvey