how to ruin a cruise line and

Stakeout

As someone who greatly dislikes buffets at sea I can think of several comments to make if, indeed, HAL introduced those, but it's best to remain silent. Buffets are popular with a lot of passengers and I realise they are here to stay. :(

We very rarely use the MDR. We're making a special effort to dine there one night on our next cruise.

2 are on ships that have gone thru dry dock and changes have been made and the last is the Kdam with all the new features, some of which are part of the refurbishment in dry dock. We are quite happy with the mix on HAL ships and the new head is in the process of updating the line as well as trying to sell off several of the older and smaller ships. When I check looking to see if we can get an upgrade offer, the ships seem to be fully booked. Give him a year and then complain if your cruise is not worth the cost.

How do they save a lot of money? Probably the opposite if Lido was eliminated.

Go back to the old days. No lido. If you want breakfast, lunch and dinner.... AND midnight buffet.... all in the main dining room.... and two sittings. That is they way it was... back in the day.

There has always been days when a buffet lunch but it was usually out on the enclosed promenade deck or out on the after deck with BBQ.... near the pool. I hear that it was not that great because the food just sat out in the sun and 'wilted'.

Saving money? I think it would be cheaper to have the old style than run a lido restaurant... with all extra staff.

Yes? No?

No table clothes, cheaper and less china, cheaper glassware, cheaper furniture, fewer waiters and supervisors? Possibly cheaper food, more mass produced food so fewer cooks?

HAL has not been ruined for us. What has happened though is HAL's value proposition for us, based on our preferences, has moved down the curve. So much so that I would say it is now number 3/4. Not price, but rather overall value. More often than not we only consider HAL based on itinerary. Often even this gets discarded because the itinerary is fine but we are not partial to the ship.

Three components. First is our perception of HAL cutbacks and their ship mtce program. This is compounded by an aging fleet with few on board optional dining venues, dark enclosed interiors, etc. Reminds us of an old railway hotel-faded grandeur. HAL's fleet is crying out for renewal/updating. Not to mention at least one well out of date on board policy that can impact our enjoyment.

Next is some of the competing offering on other lines. Other lines have had cutbacks but they have also proactively added features that attract us. Some have improved in areas important to us.

Finally, it is all based on our personal preferences. These preferences do change from time to time based on what the market offerings are. Others will feel differently-to a greater or a lesser extent.

Edited by iancal

HAL has not been ruined for us. What has happened though is HAL's value proposition for us, based on our preferences, has moved down the curve. So much so that I would say it is now number 3/4. Not price, but rather overall value. More often than not we only consider HAL based on itinerary. Often even this gets discarded because the itinerary is fine but we are not partial to the ship.

Three components. First is our perception of HAL cutbacks and their ship mtce program. This is compounded by an aging fleet with few on board optional dining venues, dark enclosed interiors, etc. Reminds us of an old railway hotel-faded grandeur. HAL's fleet is crying out for renewal/updating. Not to mention at least one well out of date on board policy that can impact our enjoyment.

Next is some of the competing offering on other lines. Other lines have had cutbacks but they have also proactively added features that attract us. Some have improved in areas important to us.

Finally, it is all based on our personal preferences. These preferences do change from time to time based on what the market offerings are. Others will feel differently-to a greater or a lesser extent.

My response to your comment ---- Bravo!!!

is one reason my partner prefers HAL ships. As far as needing updating, most of the ships are getting changes as they go into dry dock. Dark interiors can't be changed unless they can put in skylights but we never book an interior cabin and the halls seem bright enough. Most of the older ships have no place to put an additional dining room as there is no place to put an extra kitchen. If they take the upper level sports area that doesn't seem to be used much, there will be complainers about that. There is no reason for HAL to change to match the other cruise lines when passengers can make that change themselves and HAL ships will still sail fully booked.

There could be another reason some are complaining about the lines president like others have complained about Obama.

is one reason my partner prefers HAL ships. As far as needing updating, most of the ships are getting changes as they go into dry dock. Dark interiors can't be changed unless they can put in skylights but we never book an interior cabin and the halls seem bright enough. Most of the older ships have no place to put an additional dining room as there is no place to put an extra kitchen. If they take the upper level sports area that doesn't seem to be used much, there will be complainers about that. There is no reason for HAL to change to match the other cruise lines when passengers can make that change themselves and HAL ships will still sail fully booked.

There could be another reason some are complaining about the lines president like others have complained about Obama.

I bolded your last sentence..I hate to have to agree with you, but I suspect you are correct & IMO it's a crying shame!

I can see that some might not like 'dark decor'. Some do, some don't.

Personally.... each HAL ships are unique. S Class, Flagship Class, Vodm Class, Vista Class, Signature Class, Prinsendam etc etc.. All different. No two are alike. Perhaps one might prefer one over an other... but none of them are BAD!

STATENDAM.... I remember boarding in 1993 on Maiden Voyage.... WOW! Right up to the end she remained a beautiful. What I don't like... are some of the changes to some of the ships. Little things are changed... but take away from the original Dingemans designs. They were Dutch style.... if someone doesn't like them.... remember that is what HAL is all about. Want I don't want... is a clone of Celebrity or anyone else.

I will never forget the first time on board Queen Mary 2. I saw Carnival Chairman Micky Arison. He said, "So? How do you like my new ship?" I went right to him and said, "To be honest? I prefer a blue ship with white funnels!"

Is Dutch design clean, simple and light?

I do not care for dark, skrolly and heavy.....IMHO:p

The later is a bacteria homesite!

Personally I don't think the HAL style is heavy at all. Colourful? Yes. It is not pastel and fake woods.... that is like Princess. That is the Princess style. And completely right on those ships.

I don't want ships that are becoming 'mall' style.

Dark? Well, the main dining room on HAL ship are all 'dark'... because when it is dark outside it make the rooms dark. Lidos etc are not dark at all. The ships with the Enclosed Pinnacle on Rotterdam class.... well, at night it makes then seem dark... but beautiful.

Personally I don't think the HAL style is heavy at all. Colourful? Yes. It is not pastel and fake woods.... that is like Princess. That is the Princess style. And completely right on those ships.

I don't want ships that are becoming 'mall' style.

Dark? Well, the main dining room on HAL ship are all 'dark'... because when it is dark outside it make the rooms dark. Lidos etc are not dark at all. The ships with the Enclosed Pinnacle on Rotterdam class.... well, at night it makes then seem dark... but beautiful.

Agree! This is a perfect description of HAL's classy and elegant style.

I can see that some might not like 'dark decor'. Some do, some don't.

It's not that I don't like dark decor....I'm all about dark, nautical designs. However, some of the decor, itself, on HAL does leave me scratching my head. I love your artwork through the ship, but it's stuff like this I think hideous:

ry%3D480

One reason some call HAL ships dark is simply because of the ship layout/design. HAL generally uses smaller, intimate spaces opposed to say RCCL and Carnival.

Some room designs are dark, but it's nautical in theme.

Koningsdam will be brighter due to a sought change in layout/design basics. I'm excited to see her, I'm super excited for Queen's Lounge and the atrium.

But it doesn't matter, as long as Mr. Card's artwork is featured onboard all ships have at least a few redeeming qualities (well except the Veendam, but I digress). :)

Edited by sppunk

It's not that I don't like dark decor....I'm all about dark, nautical designs. However, some of the decor, itself, on HAL does leave me scratching my head. I love your artwork through the ship, but it's stuff like this I think hideous:

ry%3D480

Different isn't it?

Personally, I like the "art gallery" aspect of HAL: something for everyone. Really makes you think about style, juxtaposition of form and colour, different art periods, etc.

Not too much of the "boring beige" style on HAL.

Better than plain aluminum tube chairs?

The art for HAL ship was mostly chosen by designer Frans Dingemans. He did not want 'blah' ships. Well, this example.. isn't.

The bench is a piece of Delft. Isn't that HAL heritage?

Edited by Topsham

ry%3D480

IMO that bench is typically Dutch art...Having a bench like that on board a HAL ship is perfect.. We saw several Delft pieces like this on our last land trip when we drove through Belgium & Holland in the 70s.. Believe it was in the Rijksmuseum.. Since both DH & I are of Dutch heritage, I would give my eye teeth to have a nice piece of true authentic Delftware, not the cheap copies you see in all the tourist destinations.. Unfortunately, I did not acquire an appreciation of Dutch art until I was much older...My Mom, who was in the antique business, wanted to give me a couple of Delft pieces & I refused to take them..:eek: I Love the Delft flower pyramid..:D

ry%3D480

This is an ugly piece.

IMO that bench is typically Dutch art...

Whatever it is...Dutch, Martian or otherwise...it's hideous. The other thing that always baffled me was the tile in the bathroom of a half man/half serpent with female breasts, blowing a conch shell. Looking at that thing every morning made my brain hurt. ;)