Royal Caribbean is a STAND UP company for the Zika Virus

To respond to buying travel insurance. I have always purchased it for all of our international trips. We have never had to file a claim until now. Two days before Halloween I fell off (missed the steps) the front porch of a model house and broke my left tibia plateau and left elbow. I had planned on still going on our Oasis of the seas Dec 12 sailing until I had a DVT (blood clot) and put on Coumadin on thanksgiving. I was not allowed to fly or go on the cruise because I was still in the rehab skilled nursing. Did I expect to fall and break my leg and elbow? Nope! And I didn't leave rehab til Dec 31. I had a ton of paperwork to produce to the travel insurance, but I got a full refund of all expenses. No questions asked. My DD and her two friends still went on the cruise...because the two friends did not buy the travel insurance and would have had to gone on their own or lose their $. For $260 for my DH and myself...I received $2,000 refund. I had used points for flights and hotel so I just got points back. I was very happy with my experience with travel insurance.

I'm not aware of any cruise line or airline that's not doing the same thing. :confused:

BTW: Mentioning you TA company by name is in violation of the terms and conditions for using this forum. Then again, you probably know that since you've been a member for 7 years.

Are you a mod?

Sometimes, it's ok to let some things go. This thread would seem like maybe one of those times. Just saying.

For $260 for my DH and myself...I received $2,000 refund. I had used points for flights and hotel so I just got points back. I was very happy with my experience with travel insurance.

Glad this worked out, but you say you buy insurance for many trips. So if this is your 10th trip you bought it, then say you've spent $2600 so far on insurance. You got $2000 back so you're still down $600 than if you never bought insurance. So I don't know that it really makes sense for young, healthy people.

Accidents can happen at any age. A young, 23 year old, we know had an ATV accident when on vacation in Costa Rica. He was in a coma for 5 weeks with severe head injury. It cost the family 78,000 between hospital care and flight home as he had no insurance. IMO insurance is common sense when travelling.

Insurance is a touchy subject. I don't use it either. 53 years old, live next to port. 55 cruises, I guess I self insure now. ;)

And that's fine. I wasn't saying that everyone needs to buy it. I was really responding to "I'm young and healthy, so I don't need insurance" because there was clearly a disconnect with what insurance is for. I have insurance for my home, too. I hope that I don't have to ever use any of it.

The cruise lines are now working with pregnant cruisers, they weren't when this CDC warning first came out. Royal Caribbean wasn't at first and has since changed their policy. The couple you read about could have asked to cancel prior to the cruise lines changing their policies.

This is true - I was denied change of date and/or refund options (I would have had to cancel with 100% penalty) no fewer than 7 time prior to contacting RCCL executive division. They immediately reacted and offered me the transfer. The next day, when the entire USVI were added to the CDC warning list, they announced the allowance of change for the pregnant passengers and companions.

It was a process but we have a 2 year window to use the credits going forward.

I don't have anything against travel insurance, 2 of my siblings have had to use it. I will probably buy it in the future but I will try not to buy CSA. But they are one of the biggest.

My point was they did not step up during a time of a new situation. Zika for North Americans is. At least IMO.

Hi SnowBird Cruzer,

My family of 7 including my husband and I are in the process of trying to get a rebooking voucher from RCI for our upcoming cruise in February. I am currently 13 weeks pregnant and my doctor has highly advised me not to go on the cruise to the Caribbean for obvious reasons. My brother and his wife are also reserved on this cruise and are currently trying to get pregnant. I had booked through a travel agent but they don't seem to be much help in my case to get a rebooking voucher for the entire family, not just for my room. I wanted to see how you were able to navigate through this process as this is a family vacation and we don't want to take the risk of traveling to the Caribbean at this time. Hoping you can provide some advice.

Thanks.

Edited by Tobias0208

Hi SnowBird Cruzer,

My family of 7 including my husband and I are in the process of trying to get a rebooking voucher from RCI for our upcoming cruise in February. I am currently 13 weeks pregnant and my doctor has highly advised me not to go on the cruise to the Caribbean for obvious reasons. My brother and his wife are also reserved on this cruise and are currently trying to get pregnant. I had booked through a travel agent but they don't seem to be much help in my case to get a rebooking voucher for the entire family, not just for my room. I wanted to see how you were able to navigate through this process as this is a family vacation and we don't want to take the risk of traveling to the Caribbean at this time. Hoping you can provide some advice. ---Thanks.

We were a group of 13 (7 rooms), and now we are 11 (6 rooms). Our TA did seem to imply that we could have re-booked the entire group, at least that's what I took from some of his comments. But I didn't even ask if that was possible.

I didn't try to change the booking for the entire group. I don't know if some of the others could change (their vacation), or would want to. Just too many moving pieces. Plus, just about every room going booked on their own. Now, if a travel agent had booked for the entire group, that might be a different story.

IMO, if the cruise line were willing to re-book an entire group, that would be really something (ie Freakin' Amazing!). Regardless of what I said above, I'm just not sure they would be willing to do that, I suppose it depends on the situation and circumstances. All you can do is ask. Be prepared for the others to have to go without you, or cancel with various penalties, if they don't want to go without you. I mean, I have no reason to rebook my cruise because of Zika. It's not going to affect me or my DW like it could my DIL and her unborn baby.

We are going to work on re-booking with our son and his wife sometime in 2017 or 2018. Maybe this time they could bring the grandkids? Maybe they go on their own? In Feb 2018, the oldest w/b 3, and the youngest would be 16-17 months. Maybe we get a Royal Family suite? Hard to say at this point.

I doubt I gave you any good advice, I'm sorry about that. Did you call the cruise line? If you booked with a TA, you will end up having to work with them, and the cruise line will tell you that. But maybe the cruise line can help you all re-book. All you can do is ask. Good luck with your re-booking and Congrats on your pregnancy!

Most decent credit cards offer trip insurance and they have been great to me. The health side is really important though. As a consular officer serving in a cruise destination, believe me when I say nobody thinks they need it until it's too late.

Luckily my health insurance covers air ambulance though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note insurance companies are not in the business of paying claims on illnesses you don't have yet, though this is a good reason to consider cancel-for-any-reason coverage when you are buying insurance. They are looking for the end product provider to waive restrictions - cruise lines, airlines, hotels. Those companies have their own commercial insurance to cover any losses (or not, up to them). This is why airlines and cruise lines have been the first to put out remedies for pregnant women, it's their product. Intermediaries like tour companies are waiting for resorts and other providers in the affected areas to set their policies, something that is not happening quickly.

I'm not aware of any cruise line or airline that's not doing the same thing. :confused: .

Actually, Holland America is not being very accommodating according to a recent post on that board. The poster stated that a relative of hers was scheduled for a Caribbean cruise with extended family and she is in her first trimester. She wanted to reschedule the upcoming cruise, but HAL said no. So she had to cancel and was charged a 50% cancellation fee. I would hope HAL would reconsider and make a more positive business decision regarding situations like this.

Actually, Holland America is not being very accommodating according to a recent post on that board. The poster stated that a relative of hers was scheduled for a Caribbean cruise with extended family and she is in her first trimester. She wanted to reschedule the upcoming cruise, but HAL said no. So she had to cancel and was charged a 50% cancellation fee. I would hope HAL would reconsider and make a more positive business decision regarding situations like this.

There is another post on the ask a cruise question board about MSC refusing to do anything for a pregnant woman as well on their upcoming cruise.

I agree, considering the potential outcome to these unborn babies you would think they would all be handling it the same way. Unfortunate some are not.

we booked with RCC for April 2016 western Caribbean and just found out my DIL is 5 weeks pregnant. There is no good alternative to this situation for us except a refund which we know will not happen as it is not considered a medical problem by the insurance company.

we booked with RCC for April 2016 western Caribbean and just found out my DIL is 5 weeks pregnant. There is no good alternative to this situation for us except a refund which we know will not happen as it is not considered a medical problem by the insurance company.

Are you within final payment? If you are, look into the vouchers that are mentioned in this post.

There is another post on the ask a cruise question board about MSC refusing to do anything for a pregnant woman as well on their upcoming cruise.

I agree, considering the potential outcome to these unborn babies you would think they would all be handling it the same way. Unfortunate some are not.

The cruise lines should let pregnant women and families cancel with no fee. If the guests go (because they don't want to lose money) and their child is born with microcephaly there is no chance of them sailing for years. They will be at home caring for their sick child. If they were to take a holiday, with a sick child at home, there is no way they would sail on the line that they feel was the reason for their child's infection and illness.

A full refund in advance will come back 2 fold. The future mom will want to return to that cruise line and bring their healthy child too. Chances are they will continue to return for a life time of cruises VS a life time of anger at them.

On a humours side perhaps Holland America doesn't get it, as many of their guests are no longer able to have children. ;)

The cruise lines should let pregnant women and families cancel with no fee. If the guests go (because they don't want to lose money) and their child is born with microcephaly there is no chance of them sailing for years. They will be at home caring for their sick child. If they were to take a holiday, with a sick child at home, there is no way they would sail on the line that they feel was the reason for their child's infection and illness.

A full refund in advance will come back 2 fold. The future mom will want to return to that cruise line and bring their healthy child too. Chances are they will continue to return for a life time of cruises VS a life time of anger at them.

On a humours side perhaps Holland America doesn't get it, as many of their guests are no longer able to have children. ;)

Although I truly agree with you that cancellations should be allowed (despite my CCL stock taking a major dip), I don't believe that it is ultimately the cruise line's fault if they go and the child has health problems. Bottom line- you should not be going--Whatever the financial loss is. While I believe that there shouldn't be one, it is not the fault of the cruise line if someone ignores the CDC. Hopefully the cruise line and/or insurance will step up and cover the loss-- but it really shouldn't be a difficult decision what the right choice is.

Thanks for sharing a great story by Royal Caribbean!

Another reason I don't mess with travel insurance, they always find a way not to pay out any money. 24 cruises sailed, never bought it... Maybe one day I will, but for a 30 year old right now, its not for me.

Really? We've had two claims - one cruise and one land trip to Hawaii. Both times the agencies paid promptly - 100% with minimal paperwork.

BTW: Mentioning you TA company by name is in violation of the terms and conditions for using this forum. Then again, you probably know that since you've been a member for 7 years.

When you say "TA", did you mean to say "insurance company"? Because nobody named a TA, only CSA, the lousy insurance company.

Are we not allowed to mention insurance company names? If so, I didn't know that.