Royal Caribbean is a STAND UP company for the Zika Virus

I wanted to take a moment and thank Royal Caribbean for being a STAND UP company when it came to handling the Zika Virus situation.

About a week after my DS and his wife announced they were expecting in September 2016, the news of Zika broke. They were booked to travel with us the end of February on a cruise with 11 other members of our extended family.

They new they had to cancel, the risk to the baby was just too great.

CSA, the travel insurance carrier was NOT a stand up company. They decided to stick to the letter of the contract (and I've been in group insurance for 30 years) and advised that the Zika Virus was not going to be covered.

But Royal Caribbean did step up and offered to rebook or give a voucher for a future cruise. Thank you!

Now they have time to find a new cruise, and maybe we can join them.

The joy of the pregnancy and a new grandchild for me became a downer when Zika exploded. But Royal Caribbean allowed us to take those lemons and make some tasty lemonade...which we'll enjoy in a 2017 or 2018.

PS props to Southwest for refunding their airfare

Edited by Host Jacquelyn
ta

Zika does not seem to be a huge deal for non-pregnant women, so it wouldn't surprise me if insurance wouldn't cover it. But for someone who can document a pregnancy, that's disappointing to hear. I think I would have expected them to, since there are official travel advisories. Glad it worked out and congrats!

Edited by denatravels

Thanks for sharing a great story by Royal Caribbean!

Another reason I don't mess with travel insurance, they always find a way not to pay out any money. 24 cruises sailed, never bought it... Maybe one day I will, but for a 30 year old right now, its not for me.

I'm not aware of any cruise line or airline that's not doing the same thing. :confused:

BTW: Mentioning you TA company by name is in violation of the terms and conditions for using this forum. Then again, you probably know that since you've been a member for 7 years.

Edited by klfrodo

Another reason I don't mess with travel insurance, they always find a way not to pay out any money. 24 cruises sailed, never bought it... Maybe one day I will, but for a 30 year old right now, its not for me.

Because 30 year olds don't miss flights due to bad weather?

Glad you haven't needed it, but there are also insurance options for trip issues, not just health ones.

]I'm not aware of any cruise line or airline that's not doing the same thing. :confused:

[/color]

BTW: Mentioning you TA company by name is in violation of the terms and conditions for using this forum. Then again' date=' you probably know that since you've been a member for 7 years.[/quote']

I just read in my local newspaper about a pregnant couple who was scheduled to sail on NCL. They would not help them.

Hmm, you sure it was the cruise line and not a travel agency giving them grief?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2016/01/28/zika-virus-cruise-carnival-royal/79459420/

The newspaper specifically said the cruise line would not help them. Of course, this would not be the first time the news has been mistakenly reported.

You don't buy insurance so you have not the first clue what you are talking about.

The newspaper specifically said the cruise line would not help them. Of course, this would not be the first time the news has been mistakenly reported.

The cruise lines are now working with pregnant cruisers, they weren't when this CDC warning first came out. Royal Caribbean wasn't at first and has since changed their policy. The couple you read about could have asked to cancel prior to the cruise lines changing their policies.

Because 30 year olds don't miss flights due to bad weather?

Glad you haven't needed it, but there are also insurance options for trip issues, not just health ones.

Insurance is a touchy subject. I don't use it either. 53 years old, live next to port. 55 cruises, I guess I self insure now. ;)

You don't buy insurance so you have not the first clue what you are talking about.

Plenty of horror stories on here as I recall, but I'm getting old and could be mistaken. Once again, a personal issue.

FWIW, I have used ships doctor twice and BCBS was easie peasie.

Plenty of horror stories on here as I recall, but I'm getting old and could be mistaken. Once again, a personal issue.

FWIW, I have used ships doctor twice and BCBS was easie peasie.

Yes, there are horror stories, same with any insurance. You must understand what you are buying and what is covered and what is not.

But for some kid to say "Oh, I never get it because they just deny everything anyways" is asinine. Hope he never needs a Medjet back from a foreign country.