TA...pros/cons/losses/perks?

3red7s

Hello CC's...we are seasoned cruisers & have always booked, all our travel, on line. This past cruise we completed with another cruise line, had a different twist, so we booked thru a travel agent for the 1st time. We disembarked the day of the east coast blizzard....one phone call & she re-arranged everything for us, getting home with no inconvenience. Other than that scenario...what are the pros/cons/perks/losses for booking thru a TA. Does it affect pricing? status? OBC? anything you can share would be greatly appreciated.

We are sailing on the Allure booked through JetBlue cruises. Same price as booking direct, plus OBC, plus 6x JetBlue points for every dollar spent. Got us to Mosaic status on JetBlue and lots of points--so future free flights plus all the perks of Mosaic. And they were incredibly helpful.

Edited by javma

We book through a large online cruise-specific TA. Because they do large bookings we usually get a slightly lower rate, as well as additional perks and/or OBC.

For example, on our last cruise the cruiseline was offering a choice of 4 perks. So we picked 1. Our TA gave us another 1, and the rate was a little lower than what was advertised.

Now we tend to book online, get the bonus for doing so, transfer to the TA and get the extra perks. We are pretty happy with this system.

However, if we want to change cabins or anything, we have to call the TA and get them to call the cruiseline so it slows the process down somewhat. This doesn't really bother me though I'm not sure how much help they might have been in a snowstorm! This has not been a deal-breaker for us.

Cheers,

The only thing that ever makes me nervous is the OBC. I'm actually booked right now on Oasis through a TA and I will have $450 OBC. Now, if after I get on the ship and my OBC never shows up, what recourse do I have? I don't suppose there is a way to verify that amount with RCI before embarkation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by beigedog

I normally book through my C&A Vacation planner - but I have booked through TA's. Two of my upcoming cruises are through a TA, the rest through C&A. The one negative for using a TA is if you see a good price drop - your TA has to call to get it for you. While that may not normally be a problem - I know on Cyber Monday someone was posting on CC in a complete panic as they could not reach their TA. For that reason alone, I prefer to just book directly with RCCL.

I choose to handle my cruises myself.

Used a TA on advice of a friend. If the price went down, they were slow in calling to adjust the price and they also charged me a $35 fee to rebook at the lower rate. And one time, they didn't call in time and I ended up losing out on a $400 reduction! This particular one didn't offer me anything additional.

Starting with my cruise in March, I'm my own TA!

Edited by chermilo

The only thing that ever makes me nervous is the OBC. I'm actually booked right now on Oasis through a TA and I will have $450 OBC. Now, if after I get on the ship and my OBC never shows up, what recourse do I have? I don't suppose there is a way to verify that amount with RCI before embarkation.

Bring a copy of the email exchange, agreement. RC will contact the TA to resolve. Works every time!

I am looking at my cruise documents for my March cruise. In the cruise planner section, After the onboard bookings, there is a section which lists the OBC (It shows the OBC from my TA and from RCI). It doesn't seem to show any OBC I purchased through gifts.

The bottom line, if your happy with your booking price etc whether with a TA or direct then stick with it. Sadly many have encountered problems or delays in getting a reduction through a TA or cabin changes if on a weekend, others no problem. However should you have an excellent TA and encounter a problem on board or during your booking, a TA generally has more influence in getting the problem resolved quickly. An example, I was moved to a forward cabin and my TA notified, she immediately told them to put me back in my original cabin, which was done. Had I noticed the change and called to correct it booking directly, I could have ended up with the new cabin.

I am looking at my cruise documents for my March cruise. In the cruise planner section, After the onboard bookings, there is a section which lists the OBC (It shows the OBC from my TA and from RCI). It doesn't seem to show any OBC I purchased through gifts.

Where do you see the OBC? I can't find that on mine

Check the fine print on your credit card. Our Chase Sapphire Visa has a travel concierge phone number. That's if the hotline with our travel agency doesn't work.

Also, if you purchase travel insurance they always have a help line, too.

I choose to handle my cruises myself.

Used a TA on advice of a friend. If the price went down, they were slow in calling to adjust the price and they also charged me a $35 fee to rebook at the lower rate. And one time, they didn't call in time and I ended up losing out on a $400 reduction! This particular one didn't offer me anything additional.

Starting with my cruise in March, I'm my own TA!

It sounds like you need a new TA. I wouldn't abandon it altogether.

The OBC from my TA has never shown up in my cruise planner. I print out my paperwork and have not had an issue. My last cruise, when we arrived in the suite, there was a welcome note from the TA with the OBC amount listed...

I always check the small print when dealing with a TA regardless if it is land or sea. I make sure if and what their cancellation fees are, Change fees, any other fees and their R&R. If I don't like what they are offering, there are other TAs out there waiting for new business. :D

I am not very happy with my TA at the moment. We were looking into going on Oasis from North America. I was aware that my 20 1/2 year old daughter would not be able to have an alcoholic drink. My TA then cheerily told me about the "Waiver" for parents - and international waters etc......

Bearing in mind my daughter has been drinking legally for 2 1/2 years, and she has always been sensible, we booked the trip and happily and paid the $$$$ and started to look forward to it, to then find out that this waiver does not actually exist!! . She isn't into sport - so now what???

I complained to him and he backtracked with, "well, some ships do" - unfortunately not the one we were looking at though.

for info - we are British and when sailing from the UK with a 19yr old we did not have to sign a waiver - nor were we asked to. She was actually given a Select package.

I normally book through my C&A Vacation planner - but I have booked through TA's. Two of my upcoming cruises are through a TA, the rest through C&A. The one negative for using a TA is if you see a good price drop - your TA has to call to get it for you. While that may not normally be a problem - I know on Cyber Monday someone was posting on CC in a complete panic as they could not reach their TA. For that reason alone, I prefer to just book directly with RCCL.

Me too

I enjoy planning and handling my own travel plans. BUT when I checked prices on this year's cruise, a TA company that I had used before was close to $400 :eek: cheaper per person, along with OBC. :p I said, "Alrighty then, sign me up!" I have cabin assignments, not guaranteed. At the time the lowest price on Royal's site was guaranteed. So from someone who likes to control her own bookings, sometimes it just financially is better. Even if there are no upgrades, I am pleased with the room location and price paid. Had I never tried a TA, I would not have snagged this price. I have looked and have an alert set, so far the price has only gone up. I think if you are traveling during peak season, I would try a TA.

Edited by BLAMBKY

Hello CC's...we are seasoned cruisers & have always booked' date=' all our travel, on line. This past cruise we completed with another cruise line, had a different twist, so we booked thru a travel agent for the 1st time. We disembarked the day of the east coast blizzard....one phone call & she re-arranged everything for us, getting home with no inconvenience. Other than that scenario...what are the pros/cons/perks/losses for booking thru a TA. Does it affect pricing? status? OBC? anything you can share would be greatly appreciated.[/quote']

My experience: I have booked with the same TA for years. One reason is that I am an airline pilot and am eligible for "Interline Rates" which many times are quite reduced. But I have to book through a TA who does Interline. Cannot book directly with RCCL (can with Carnival). So we established with this TA.

What I get is no hassle. I want to book a cruise I call or email her. It's done. If I see a cruise on line, I can put a hold on it, call her or email her and it's done. If I see a cruise on line and need to grab the rate i book it, then transfer the booking to her and she now handles everything for me. It's true that if the rate drops or you want a cabin change, you must go through the TA and that can sometimes cause a delay and you might miss it. TA's are people too. They have families, go on vacation, stay home sick. Just like us. They aren't available 24 hours a day 365 days a year. But for the most part I haven't had any problems.

So the "pros." My TA fights for me. For example we were booked on Oasis in a JS a few years ago. 3 weeks out the price for a Crown Loft dropped so far that it was under $200 per person more than I paid for a JS (and I got a great deal on the JS). BUT it was "new bookings only" so I knew I wasn't qualified. However I emailed my TA, explained that I knew I wasn't qualified but could she try (by the way, it was Labor Day and she did this on her time off from home). She went in circles with Royal Caribbean for a very long time and wouldn't give up. Finally they gave in. Not only did I get the great rate, they also applied my D+ discount to the cabin! I ended up upgrading to a CL-1 for a TOTAL of $300!

Another example. I booked a Future Cruise for Alaska a year or so ago. We had Aft Balconies. About 4 weeks before the cruise, the Interline Rate came out and the JS was a few hundred dollars cheaper than the Balcony price we booked. So I called my TA. There was a corner Aft JS available and I wanted to see of we could upgrade. I knew we wouldn't get any refund, but a free upgrade was a good deal. Unfortunately since we had used the Future Cruise, we weren't eligible to switch to the Interline Rate (it has some funky rules). The sticking issue came to a couple of things. The $100 OBC, and the fact that our Balcony rate included the C & A Discount and the Interline Rate is considered "deeply discounted" and C & A Discounts don't apply. Finally my TA simply said (I agreed to it) that we'd drop our OBC. After a long conversation with RCCL, she got them to agree and we were upgraded (along with 2 other airline couples).

So, for me, having a GREAT TA has been very good. I've got much better "perks" (actually deals) because we have established a good relationship and she will fight to get the good deals for me.

I have a friend who used a internet Travel Agency. The agent was an idiot and just didn't know how to do ANYTHING! I tried to get her to move to my TA, but her "TA" gave her a $100 OBC. Trust me, it wasn't worth it.

So that's my story. If you have a great TA like I do, use them. If not, and you don't mind fighting your own battles, then book directly. But DO NOT use a TA solely to get a few hundred in perks unless you know they can do the job.

... So that's my story. If you have a great TA like I do, use them. If not, and you don't mind fighting your own battles, then book directly. But DO NOT use a TA solely to get a few hundred in perks unless you know they can do the job.

Thanks for taking the time to post your TA experience in detail. I also use an extremely competent TA and have had a couple of experiences like yours where she has gone to bat for us and gotten things done that I would have thought impossible. I love the ability to communicate by email, without having to deal with Royal's website or long holds on the phone.

Do people always get perks from their TA? We use a TA and we don't really get OBC or perks with every sailing. Sounds like it is based on the number of bookings for that sailing that determines our perks. Was wondering what the frequency of people getting perks through TA actually ends up being...

Do people always get perks from their TA? We use a TA and we don't really get OBC or perks with every sailing. Sounds like it is based on the number of bookings for that sailing that determines our perks. Was wondering what the frequency of people getting perks through TA actually ends up being...

Our current TA gives OBC based on the cost of the booking.

Our first TA charged us a $25 booking fee. That's why we have a different TA now.

Time to get a new TA. We use a major online company and have received great deals starting with our first cruise. The TA's give back a percentage of their commission as a perk...except in your case.

On our April cruise Royal was offering $300 obc, but our TA gave us $650 and we got an additional $50 loyalty bonus from the agency. We have never had a problem receiving everything promised by our TA.