WOW! Booze is expensive on RCI???

ve2dx

Anyone who thinks the booze is expensive has never spent much time drinking in Manhattan. :)

To be honest, the per drink prices are on par with just about any upscale bar/restaurant in any major US city. You're not drinking pitchers of Miller Lite at the bowling alley down the street, so, don't complain that it doesn't cost the same.

If you want to compare it to what you might pay on shore in the islands, yeah, they are expensive. But, I'm pretty sure the $12 Ketel One and tonic on the ship is actually Ketel One. The $7 Ketel One and tonic at bar in Nassau, I'm betting was purchased in a plastic bottle with a handle on the side. :)

Brian

Royal Caribbean isn't an upscale cruise line, so comparing it to upscale locations on land is like picking the most expensive locations to drink and then making a comparison. RCI is a mid level line, albeit one I really enjoy. Up until just a couple of years ago, drinks on RCI were much more reasonable IMO. A rum and coke was about $6.50. Now? Try something like $9.50. A frozen drink is straight up gouging IMO, typically $11 or so.

Manhattan, Miami or any major city, amusement park, airport etc, in the US. They are at par with all of those. I had $9.50 drafts at the airport in Puerto Rico. Yeap they are expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again, why are we finding the most expensive places to compare to? Why are we defending RCI's prices?

Fact is, they hiked the price drastically (I would guess between 25-50% in just two years time). It certainly has me looking elsewhere for my next cruise. It's not just the drink prices, but any of the extras... specialty restaurants have spiked as well...

RCI is obviously finding what price the market will bear, but they passed my price recently. It's no longer much fun to drink on a cruise, which used to be

a great way to enjoy ourselves. I just can't justify the cost, so RCI is loosing out more on us. We used to order plenty of drinks because while the prices were still modestly high, I could still justify the cost. Not anymore.

Dan

You gotta LOVE people who justify the high prices!:rolleyes:

I went to Super Bowl City yesterday in San Francisco. Bud Light was $9. Of course it was a tourist trap.:eek:

Went to a bar nearby, not a dive and paid $6(!) for a Tennessee Mule.:D

As you can tell YMMV.

I've said a million times already. If you're paying more than $8 for a beer or $10 for a mixed drink under normal circumstances, you really need to stop going to that bar!:D

Again, why are we finding the most expensive places to compare to? Why are we defending RCI's prices?

Let's keep in mind that on land bars have to pay the full alcohol tax/duty on all booze, whereas on cruise ships they are paying peanuts for everything.

I guess it's just part of the business model, kind of like how people pay big prices at exotic locations for a drink... simply because it's either that or going dry. :)

Oh dear...Not Boddingtons..:D

I'd have one if I saw it at the bar - what surprises me is that even with a very decent selection of beers I still see people asking for Bud... unreal.

$800 (including gratuity) for two people to get the premium drink package for a week....I don't think thats bad at all

When I sailed with disney I spent over $200 on the booze I brought on board. If I go to the beach for a week, easy $300 in what I spend.

Anytime your buying alcohol in bar, club or restaurant there will be a markup and for us, this seems reasonable. BUT, 5 drinks a day for two adults in our goup won't be a a problem.

On sea days

Mimosa with breakfast

Frozen drink or drink of the day heading out to the pool or day activity

two beers sometime throughout the day

Glass of win or two with dinner

At least a dozen bottled (no exaggeration) waters throughout the day for each of us

On Port Days

Mimosa (or two) or bloody mary with breakfast

bottled water off the ship

drink of the day when we board

glass of wine or two with dinner

Plus, whatever we drink when we go to the evening entertainment.

If we didn't drink AT LEAST that much, I probably wouldn't do it but I don't think thats priced terribly.

Royal Caribbean isn't an upscale cruise line, so comparing it to upscale locations on land is like picking the most expensive locations to drink and then making a comparison. RCI is a mid level line, albeit one I really enjoy. Up until just a couple of years ago, drinks on RCI were much more reasonable IMO. A rum and coke was about $6.50. Now? Try something like $9.50. A frozen drink is straight up gouging IMO, typically $11 or so.

Compare it to other popular vacation destinations...Disney World, Sea World, Universal Studios, Dollywood, Great Wolf Lodge, etc...Prices have gone up everywhere.

The reduction of vacation packages has stayed quite steady, but the cost of amenities has increased big time.

Yes, I was shocked over the prices on my last RCL cruise. Which is why I got the drink package not long after we got on board.

This next trip I've already pre-paid for our premium drink packages. It's not cheap, mind you. But I look at it this way - it's vacation, I've worked hard and done decently, so why not? I don't drink much normally, but I tend to "cut loose" on vacation. And when you don't have to worry about driving anywhere after having a few, all the better.

Besides, I plan to drink my money's worth, and then some....:D

I'd have one if I saw it at the bar - what surprises me is that even with a very decent selection of beers I still see people asking for Bud... unreal.

Oh great, another beer snob. Nothing wrong with the King of Beers. Hold your nose and move on.

Oh great, another beer snob. Nothing wrong with the King of Beers. Hold your nose and move on.

Agreed. Have drank plenty of Bud in my days. But I enjoy sampling the local offerings when I travel. That includes the drinks. I enjoyed the local brews from Alaska when I was there last year. Will plan on some Red Stripe on this next trip to the western Caribbean.

It's awful. Period. The end.

The 'king of beers' slogan is aimed at the 1-bit audience that cannot figure out that bud has very little to do with beer.

What people need to realize is, this is all about keeping people on the ships.

Raise the drink prices, forcing more people to buy the drink packages, forcing more people to say "Well, we may as well stay onboard and enjoy the drinks", which in turn makes it easier for people to partake in other "cost" activities on the ship and less and less people are planning out those expensive port days.

It's actually a smart strategy on their part, but I am in the minority . . . I will take advantage of my 2 bottles of wine (which with no cork fee, will go towards the dining room dinner), budget my normal $150 for drinks, seek out happy hour/daily specials and continue to enjoy my port days because I like doing things on the islands . . . including all inclusives which will include alcohol.

If they ever allow people to pick and choose the days they want to take advantage of the drink package, then I'll probably partake in it . . .but I could never see my and DW spending $800 for a week long drink package . . . makes the all inclusive resorts look so much more tempting from that perspective.

I read on another thread a statement that claimed that the drink packages don't apply on the beach at Labadee. Can anyone confirm this? I would expect the booze at Labadee would be included for what we pay for the packages.

It's awful. Period. The end.

The 'king of beers' slogan is aimed at the 1-bit audience that cannot figure out that bud has very little to do with beer.

Really, AB spills more beer in the bottling process than most craft brewers produce all year. People do buy it, you know. Just not your kind of people.

Plus they make really good Super Bowl commercials. ;)

I read on another thread a statement that claimed that the drink packages don't apply on the beach at Labadee. Can anyone confirm this? I would expect the booze at Labadee would be included for what we pay for the packages.

No, they definitely work for Labadee and Coco Cay.

I also saw them offering a drink package just for while you are on shore.

Drinks at Labadee and Coco Cay are included. However, the roving drink servers usually have drinks in souvenir cups, which are not included, so you may have to go to a bar for your package drinks.

Let's keep in mind that on land bars have to pay the full alcohol tax/duty on all booze, whereas on cruise ships they are paying peanuts for everything.

Sitting at a pub that sells 500 different types of beer, from 35 different countries. Yet, someone will walk up, stare at the wall of beer coolers, and the 50 taps, and ask for a bud. The bar tender, reaches into the special cooler, that it hiding from the rest and pulls out a can of bud. They charge the same or more for this one can, than many of the other choices and yet, it is probably the cheapest choice in the location. I think they upcharge it just because it's bud and someone actually asked for it.

Psst, I'm a beer snob, so no need to let me know!

Edited by Havingfun2010

I just wish that Royal would regularly offer something like the 10 drink punch card or a "lite plan" for people who don't drink very much. There is no way I could drink 5-6 drinks in a day! But just a small discount... please!!!! To be honest, it's the reason I don't see myself repeating this year's Royal cruise.

We have a taproom which has 40 craft beers on tap. On their beer menu they include Coors. The description? "Watery, no flavor, very light body". Do people still order it? Yep!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I love it. That is a great description. I remember when I thought Coors Light was a good beer. (college days when Keystone was our regular) Since then I have actually discovered what good beer is. Coors/Bud/Miller all serve their purpose. For me, they are refreshing to drink right after mowing the lawn, when grilling, or when tailgating on a hot day. Outside of those times, I wouldn't consider them.

I love it. That is a great description. I remember when I thought Coors Light was a good beer. (college days when Keystone was our regular) Since then I have actually discovered what good beer is. Coors/Bud/Miller all serve their purpose. For me, they are refreshing to drink right after mowing the lawn, when grilling, or when tailgating on a hot day. Outside of those times, I wouldn't consider them.

Sitting by or in the pool?

I used to be a beer snob. I mainly drank pale ales and stouts. I was living in Minneapolis and Chicago. I then moved to Charlotte, NC. Trying to drink all day in the South when you're drinking heavy beers is tough. I switched to Yuengling. Worked much better for all day drinking in the heat. I got used to it. Even after moving back, I can't have more than a couple heavier beers anymore. I got used to drinking a lager. Now, if I can't find a local lager to drink, I will tend to go to Budweiser, even tho I used to make fun of it all the time. It's not all that far off from Yuengling, Leinenkugels, and the like. I'm also someone who likes consistency. Change is scary. :)

So, yeah, kinda in the same boat. Drinking an EPA after mowing the lawn in the summer is not that refreshing! A Leininkugels Honey Weiss on the other hand goes down nice and smooth! :)

That is my one time when I enjoy an umbrella drink. :)

That's why I decided to purchase the RR package so I can sip virgin drinks by the pool during the sea days!:cool: Since our March cruise is pretty port intensive, we may taste the local beers or whatnot. Later in the eve, we'll be able to take advantage of happy hour in the DL and take our wine to the late dinner seating. DH did purchase the beer/wine package as well. So, we're all set!;)

So i logged into my cruise planner to check the alcohol drink packages and they are not listed. The only options are the 3 non-alcohol packages. I looked previously and all of the packages were there. They still have a comparison link that shows what comes in every package but no way to pull up or add to cart a beverage package that includes alcohol.

Could they be changing the packages or prices currently?