WOW! Booze is expensive on RCI???

ve2dx

Lots of interesting comments. I, too, hate the huge increase in drink prices. One of the things that I used to tell people about cruising was that the drinks were fairly cheap when compared to a resort or hotel. Not anymore. But, luckily for me, I am a lot older and just don't drink that much anymore. And being D+ I get free drinks during happy hour, so I hardly buy any drinks anymore. So...no package for me.

So some thoughts. For all those who think RCCL is "ripping" you off. Go on another cruise line. No, you aren't a "captive" audience. You chose the cruise and paid for it willingly. And why? Well, cruise prices, although rising as the economy gets better, are still quite low as compared to when I began cruising in 1998, and the ships offer so much more. BUT the Cruise line still needs to profit. So they make it up in drinks, specialty dining, etc. Some see this as "nickel and diming," but others see it as the ability to pay for what they want to do and not for what they don't want to use. For those who think they'd be better off in an all inclusive cruise, then look at it this way. If you buy the drink package, your cruise IS all inclusive (except specialty dining and shore tours). So would you prefer that RCCL raises the price of every cabin by $60 per day and make drinks free? Not me. My last cruise was a 10 night. We bought a total of 3 drinks and a 7 bottle wine package. So I DON'T want the prices to go up the amount of a drink package.

Anyway, one more comment. Yes $12 is ridiculous for a drink. And yes, you can go to your local Mexican restaurant and get a Margarita for $6-$8. But do you get a free show? do you get free transportation to a Caribbean Island? Do you get a free dinner with that Margarita? No. So if you say you can get a drink cheaper at your local watering hole, no doubt. But you don't get anything else with it. Plus as you go to nicer and nicer restaurants, the cost of drinks and wine goes up exponentially. I know, RCCL dining isn't as "good." True. But the cost of booze doesn't go up for the restaurant just because they serve better food. But the cost of doing business does. So they need to pay for those executive chefs, top ingredients, etc. So they charge more. Just like the cruise line. Gotta make money somehow.

I'm always curious about why these drink price threads get people so cranked up. They way I see it, you fit into one of 3 groups:

1. You don't drink much alcohol (or even none at all) on a cruise so prices don't matter
  2. You drink lots on a cruise so the package is a reasonable (and maybe even a good) deal
  3. You drink a little bit but not enough to justify the package.

Group 3 is the only group that should really care about the prices and given the relatively few drinks that they would have throughout the cruise, they may pay an extra $50(??) in drinks for the week from higher prices. As someone else noted, factor this into the cost of the cruise, order drinks when you're thirsty, and enjoy your cruise!

I don't drink much on a day to day basis, coffee and soft drinks and a beer once in a while. But get me to a wedding reception or a holiday party and it's no holds barred!

I got the premium package for me and the wife for our upcoming trip on the Allure. Not cheap, mind you, but I look at it this way: It's vacation, I've worked hard and put in the long hours, so I deserve it. I can drink all I care to and not worry about having to drive home, so long as I can remember where my cabin is:D

So, Bartender, hit me again!

I'm always curious about why these drink price threads get people so cranked up. They way I see it, you fit into one of 3 groups:

1. You don't drink much alcohol (or even none at all) on a cruise so prices don't matter
  2. You drink lots on a cruise so the package is a reasonable (and maybe even a good) deal
  3. You drink a little bit but not enough to justify the package.

Group 3 is the only group that should really care about the prices and given the relatively few drinks that they would have throughout the cruise, they may pay an extra $50(??) in drinks for the week from higher prices. As someone else noted, factor this into the cost of the cruise, order drinks when you're thirsty, and enjoy your cruise!

You need to add a 4th group. Canadians that are looking at longer cruises than 7 days. Just add 40% to all of your prices and times it by 12 or 14 days. :eek::eek:

Lots of interesting comments. I, too, hate the huge increase in drink prices. One of the things that I used to tell people about cruising was that the drinks were fairly cheap when compared to a resort or hotel. Not anymore. But, luckily for me, I am a lot older and just don't drink that much anymore. And being D+ I get free drinks during happy hour, so I hardly buy any drinks anymore. So...no package for me.

So some thoughts. For all those who think RCCL is "ripping" you off. Go on another cruise line. No, you aren't a "captive" audience. You chose the cruise and paid for it willingly. And why? Well, cruise prices, although rising as the economy gets better, are still quite low as compared to when I began cruising in 1998, and the ships offer so much more. BUT the Cruise line still needs to profit. So they make it up in drinks, specialty dining, etc. Some see this as "nickel and diming," but others see it as the ability to pay for what they want to do and not for what they don't want to use. For those who think they'd be better off in an all inclusive cruise, then look at it this way. If you buy the drink package, your cruise IS all inclusive (except specialty dining and shore tours). So would you prefer that RCCL raises the price of every cabin by $60 per day and make drinks free? Not me. My last cruise was a 10 night. We bought a total of 3 drinks and a 7 bottle wine package. So I DON'T want the prices to go up the amount of a drink package.

Anyway, one more comment. Yes $12 is ridiculous for a drink. And yes, you can go to your local Mexican restaurant and get a Margarita for $6-$8. But do you get a free show? do you get free transportation to a Caribbean Island? Do you get a free dinner with that Margarita? No. So if you say you can get a drink cheaper at your local watering hole, no doubt. But you don't get anything else with it. Plus as you go to nicer and nicer restaurants, the cost of drinks and wine goes up exponentially. I know, RCCL dining isn't as "good." True. But the cost of booze doesn't go up for the restaurant just because they serve better food. But the cost of doing business does. So they need to pay for those executive chefs, top ingredients, etc. So they charge more. Just like the cruise line. Gotta make money somehow.

You are not getting a free show or transportation, that's built in to the cost of the cruise.

You need to add a 4th group. Canadians that are looking at longer cruises than 7 days. Just add 40% to all of your prices and times it by 12 or 14 days. :eek::eek:

I'm not certain, but don't Australians have it just as bad

The shows, transportation and dinner are not free on a cruise. They are included in the price to board. If the Mexican restaurant you used as an example charged a $1500 cover charge the analogy with be more accurate.

I think that RCI is encouraging overconsuption and missing out on the revenue it could make from drinks.

Those who do not drink much will not take a package and the high individual prices will reduce their modest purchases, quite a few to zero. Not much profit here.

The big drinkers will get a package but they will get the value from it, thus reducing the unit price.

The high prices tempts some to break the rules (sharing packages and smuggling) and while that is not honest it does occur. This reduces the profits again.

A better model would be one that facilitates a safe level of alcohol consumption but discourages over consumption, or at least makes those that drink a lot pay for it.

With the MSC Status Match I am a Black Card/C&R Diamond: thus having a second cruise with MSC is sounding like a good deal.

Their drink prices are MUCH more reasonable than RCCL's and MSC does have attractive ships. When the new Seaside comes to Miami, it will be a game changer!

I think that RCI is encouraging overconsuption and missing out on the revenue it could make from drinks.

Those who do not drink much will not take a package and the high individual prices will reduce their modest purchases, quite a few to zero. Not much profit here.

The big drinkers will get a package but they will get the value from it, thus reducing the unit price.

The high prices tempts some to break the rules (sharing packages and smuggling) and while that is not honest it does occur. This reduces the profits again.

A better model would be one that facilitates a safe level of alcohol consumption but discourages over consumption, or at least makes those that drink a lot pay for it.

After one cruise you're an expert on cruise ship alcohol consumption? :confused:

I'm pretty sure that RCI knows MUCH better than we do how to maximize their revenue from drinks. Any business of any size that has at least one Business School grad understands price elasticity.

One cruise is anecdotal.

How many cruises do I need to go on to confirm it?

It was nice enough as a holiday but there are many other options out there. Many things I did like. Being in close proximity to a high proportion of drunks is something that put me off. Examining the way alcohol is promoted shows that this is actually encouraged.

If I came across another bargain I may be tempted to do it again but they are probably rare.

How many cruises do I need to go on to confirm it?

It was nice enough as a holiday but there are many other options out there. Many things I did like. Being in close proximity to a high proportion of drunks is something that put me off. Examining the way alcohol is promoted shows that this is actually encouraged.

If I came across another bargain I may be tempted to do it again but they are probably rare.

Maybe a cruise out of the US, the Caribbean is quite lovely this time of year

Cruises are a good lifestyle for alcoholics and the Packages suit them well.

Personally I have a problem with the fact that the packages encourage you to drink every day and at quite a high level to justify the prices.

We decided to just take the two bottles of wine and buy drinks if we wanted them. We never actually wanted any at the inflated prices, so the account was empty. Did not miss it at all. If the prices were reasonable we may have had the occasional drink. Did meet quite a few people who could not survive without drinking. Lots of drunks in the lifts sharing their boozy breath with all around. The amount of alcohol abuse is what puts me off going on another cruise.

Then that's your problem. Either learn to take the stairs or as you say, stop cruising. Your post is out of line.

Please be careful when taking the stairs, don't trip & fall.

Thanks for your advice and concern. A comment which is perfectly "in line"

Why thank you. Your post has helped me remove Australia from my list of places I'd like to visit.

Sounds like a good arrangement to me. It's not a nice place and you would not like it very much.

It sounds like you are calling all of us who love cruises alcoholics. You didn't see that?

Read it again.

"Cruises are a good lifestyle for alcoholics" and I stand by that. I did not say that all who go cruising are alcoholics, as that is clearly not the case. The normalisation of high levels of alcohol consumption and the option of an almost unlimited supply for a single fee must be attractive to alcoholics. The excuse can be "I am just getting the value out of my package" etc.

Maybe my comments have hit a raw nerve with some.