Carnival Corp. purchasing stock assistance

VacationCharlene

With the stock market tanking every other day, I have been tossing around purchasing the 100 shares of stock but not sure how to do it :( Currently it is about $48 per each stock. I would appreciate all the knowledge from people who have recently purchased and who you purchase it thru. Etrades, CapitolOne, etc. If I understand correctly most of the on-line purchases are about $7 a TRANSACTION. Correct? Can we purchase directly from Carnival.com? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Also, is it non-refundable OBC? Thanks all :o

We purchased our through Vanguard. It may have been $8 for the purchase. If you have an IRA account (with any financial house) you can buy it in that account and reinvest the dividends automatically and not have the annual tax consequences.

Now, when I want to get the OBC stock benefit I go to the Vanguard website, put in my password and pull up my account, go to the statement tab and find the page I want from the multi-page statement and print out that page. I black over the account number and pen in our booking number, date of sailing, ship name; I circle the CCL shares so it is obvious. I fax that to HAL or to my PCC depending how I booked. Voila! OBC!

I try to get some kind of confirmation that HAL agrees and shows the OBC and I take a hard copy of that confirmation with me in case the front desk doesn't have it showing on our account. I haven't needed it, yet.

Buying the stock is something that many of us wish we had done sooner but it's one of those things very few people would even know to do for their first cruise. Buying while it's low is always a good time! m--

Purchased my 100 shares at $33.06 for my USAA IRA in 2009. With share dividends cashed in and all of our cruises OBC, I have almost recouped my initial investment.

Sure wish all of my other investments had the same return-on-investment.

Same advice as above (and appreciation for benefits received) - but I used Charles Schwab for my brokerage accounts.

I print out just the account page that shows both my name and numbers of CCL shares owned.

Then black out the account number before I fax that page along with a cover letter to "Guest Relations" at HAL, requesting onboard credit with the stating dates of cruise, booking number, ship name and departure port.

And a thank you. My CCL surprise was the Costa Concordia disaster did not sink the share values.

Edited by OlsSalt

Purchased my 100 shares at $33.06 for my USAA IRA in 2009. With share dividends cashed in and all of our cruises OBC, I have almost recouped my initial investment.

i got in at 34 via TD ameritrade....oh how i wish all my stocks and funds had done as well as CCL has....and of course OBC and the dividends make it even better...even now at 48 i still think it's a decent buy and hold stock...in spite of all sky is falling in china hype i do fully expect over the coming years the CCL investment in China and probably also Cuba, Japan, Taiwan, Korea are going to do quite well.

part of the beauty of cruise ships is that if some countries are having a tough economy the ships can sail off to other parts of the world where returns and demand may be higher ....hotels can't do that...

OP...If you have a brokerage Money Market Account or an IRA account you can purchase the shares with your broker..You can also purchase the shares on-line...We purchased ours in Nov of 2009 & paid a $50 brokerage fee.. Not sure about CapitalOne but notice their fees are one of the lowest..

Carnival OBC is non-refundable but you can use it more than once a year..

Are you sure of your original purchase price? that seems a bit high but can't remember what the prices were early in 2009..

However, when we purchased our 100 shares in Nov of 2009, it was trading at $18.24 a share? By the following year it was up to $31 a share.. Also we've received over $450 in Dividends since then.. In addition we've received over $1800 in OBC's.. So we have almost tripled our investment..Only wish that we had purchased more when it was so low..LOL;)

In the spring, the corporation sends out the annual statement and shareholder proxy. Before voting and sending it in, I make a scan and keep it in my hard drive. When it comes time to apply for the Shareholder Benefit, a copy of that proxy (which has your name on it and the number of shares you hold) is acceptable to submit in lieu of your brokerage account statement. I prefer it because it's less blacking out of information, and less chance of exposing your other holdings to strangers, but you can use whatever document they accept, whatever works best for you.

We also bought it within an IRA account. Then there was a dip briefly after Concordia, and we bought another 100 shares at the low point.

I've read investment advice when a person is making individual stock purchases that suggests one understand what exactly a business is about when they are purchasing, as opposed to entities like Enron - which turned out to be all about hot air. I like buying something I use and know. And as others here have experienced, it's been a solid stock so far for growth, dividends, and a great shareholder benefit.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Are you sure of your original [$33.06] purchase price? that seems a bit high but can't remember what the prices were early in 2009..

However, when we purchased our 100 shares in Nov of 2009, it was trading at $18.24 a share? By the following year it was up to $31 a share.. Also we've received over $450 in Dividends since then.. In addition we've received over $1800 in OBC's.. So we have almost tripled our investment..Only wish that we had purchased more when it was so low..LOL;)

CCL prices ranged from $16.80 to $34.95 in 2009. CCL prices ranged from $28.70 to $33.07 in November of 2009.

What helpful advice...Thanks to all that have responded so far. I really like the shareholder benefit, after purchasing the minimum 100 shares currently at $48 share, of OBC for every cruise with a Carnival Corp ship. We are cruising on longer cruises now and it would be great to have the add'l OBC. I am afraid to make the jump to purchase :eek: I have no desire to have other stocks. Guess I should set up an acct somewhere first and then be ready to strike!

Guess I should set up an acct somewhere first and then be ready to strike!
I am not pushing Scottrade, but I have been happy with their service. If you are uncomfortable working online, you can talk to a real person at three Scottrade locations in San Diego. Open an account and contribute about $5000 to it to cover your expected purchase. Purchase your 100 shares of CCL after familiarizing yourself with the Scottrade website. Making your first online purchase may be a little nerve wracking. Deal with a real person face to face in a Scottrade office to make your purchase, if you are more comfortable doing so. Online purchases are $7, broker assisted trades cost $32, I think. Decide whether you want to reinvest any dividends.

I feel like I should add some caveat about risk and how "past performance does not necessarily predict", etc, but I am not going to do so.

About reinventing dividends:

It's easy to reinvest dividends in an IRA account without a lot of bookkeeping, but there are some complications if you reinvest dividends in a non-IRA-type account: as the dividends reinvest, each reinvestment is a new purchase and has to be tracked for date, amount and price basis so that you know its worth when you sell. It is easier to have the dividend distributed to you if your stock is in a non-IRA-type account. And you get that nice little deposit a few times a year instead of a miniscule investment to track. m--

What helpful advice...Thanks to all that have responded so far. I really like the shareholder benefit, after purchasing the minimum 100 shares currently at $48 share, of OBC for every cruise with a Carnival Corp ship. We are cruising on longer cruises now and it would be great to have the add'l OBC. I am afraid to make the jump to purchase :eek: I have no desire to have other stocks. Guess I should set up an acct somewhere first and then be ready to strike!

I set my account up a little while ago and the CCL price rocketed up over $50/share. The other day I got a text notice that the price was below $46 (I think that my son had set the alert up months ago) and I purchased 100 shares from Fidelity. Now I am working on sending my paperwork to HAL for the OBC for my cruise in March.

It's easy to reinvest dividends in an IRA account without a lot of bookkeeping, but there are some complications if you reinvest dividends in a non-IRA-type account: as the dividends reinvest, each reinvestment is a new purchase and has to be tracked for date, amount and price basis so that you know its worth when you sell. It is easier to have the dividend distributed to you if your stock is in a non-IRA-type account. And you get that nice little deposit a few times a year instead of a miniscule investment to track. m--

Good advice IMO! I would put it in an IRA and just forget about it. Worrying about reinvesting the $30 or so in annual dividends sure is not worth messing with, especially in a "regular" stock account.

I meant reinveSting, not reinventing...

m--

• 3 weeks later...
We purchased our through Vanguard. It may have been $8 for the purchase. If you have an IRA account (with any financial house) you can buy it in that account and reinvest the dividends automatically and not have the annual tax consequences.

Now, when I want to get the OBC stock benefit I go to the Vanguard website, put in my password and pull up my account, go to the statement tab and find the page I want from the multi-page statement and print out that page. I black over the account number and pen in our booking number, date of sailing, ship name; I circle the CCL shares so it is obvious. I fax that to HAL or to my PCC depending how I booked. Voila! OBC!

I try to get some kind of confirmation that HAL agrees and shows the OBC and I take a hard copy of that confirmation with me in case the front desk doesn't have it showing on our account. I haven't needed it, yet.

Buying the stock is something that many of us wish we had done sooner but it's one of those things very few people would even know to do for their first cruise. Buying while it's low is always a good time! m--

I just want to thank you for sharing your (and I'm sure the same of many others) method for requesting shareholder OBC. Yesterday I sat down with my brand new printer and faxed my info successfully to HAL in less than one minute. Less than 10 minutes after that, I had an email from HAL confirming my OBC being applied to my account. Wow!

I printed the email and put it in my important cruise paperwork folder, and also made sure to keep in in my phone.

I wish all business transactions could flow this smoothly...

:D

I just want to thank you for sharing your (and I'm sure the same of many others) method for requesting shareholder OBC. Yesterday I sat down with my brand new printer and faxed my info successfully to HAL in less than one minute. Less than 10 minutes after that, I had an email from HAL confirming my OBC being applied to my account. Wow!

I printed the email and put it in my important cruise paperwork folder, and also made sure to keep in in my phone.

I wish all business transactions could flow this smoothly...

If you are going to do a lot of cruises in the future on any ship in the Carnival Corporation, you won't regret the purchase.

If you are going to do a lot of cruises in the future on any ship in the Carnival Corporation, you won't regret the purchase.

With any luck, I hope 'a lot' is a conservative estimate of how many cruises we will take!

Not sure that I'll get around the world on a Queen like my parents did, but I do have a wish list...

... when we purchased our 100 shares in Nov of 2009, it was trading at $18.24 a share ...

... CCL prices ranged from $28.70 to $33.07 in November of 2009.

FWIW the NYSE records agree with whogo on this one - at no time during November of 2009 did CCL stock trade at (or, for that matter, anywhere near) $18.24 per share.

In the spring, the corporation sends out the annual statement and shareholder proxy. Before voting and sending it in, I make a scan and keep it in my hard drive. When it comes time to apply for the Shareholder Benefit, a copy of that proxy (which has your name on it and the number of shares you hold) is acceptable to submit in lieu of your brokerage account statement. I prefer it because it's less blacking out of information, and less chance of exposing your other holdings to strangers, but you can use whatever document they accept, whatever works best for you.

That's a great tip! Thanks for passing it on.

Edited by TrolleyGirl
issue w/ quote button

I'm sorry in advance cause I'm sure I missed my answer but....

How does buying stock in HAL get you onboard credit???

If you buy 100 shares, you get OBC - based on the length of your cruise. I bought 100 and am getting $100 for my 12 day cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app