Universal charger for many devices

karska

Can anyone recommend a charger with dual voltage that can be used to charge Samsung s6, iPod, iPad, kindle, laptop camera and last but not least my DH flip phone. Do you still have to use the long chords?

Thanks for any info.

Most, if not all device chargers have dual voltage built into them. All you would need is the converter for wherever you are visiting. i.e. A two prong for most of Europe and a three prong for the U.K. No switches to turn on and off. The chargers adjust to the voltage.

In addition, many camera chargers also have the dual voltage built in. I also have a dual voltage hair straightener and hair curlers.

Not sure about a Flip phone. You should be able to look at your device instructions on the type of charger you have.

Do you still have to use the long chords?

???

Edited by Iamthesea

Most, if not all device chargers have dual voltage built into them. All you would need is the converter for wherever you are visiting. i.e. A two prong for most of Europe and a three prong for the U.K. No switches to turn on and off. The chargers adjust to the voltage.

In addition, many camera chargers also have the dual voltage built in. I also have a dual voltage hair straightener and hair curlers.

Not sure about a Flip phone. You should be able to look at your device instructions on the type of charger you have.

???

All the ships have regular US outlets. No problem charging them on board.

All the ships have regular US outlets. No problem charging them on board.

I like to bring a converter for each of the European plugs on board. I plug in my converter and suddenly I have several additional US style plugs. Of course, this assumes the equipment being plugged in already are rated for 100 -- 240 watts. Most modern devices are.

The European sockets on Oceania take the two prong round pin adapter.

Can anyone recommend a charger with dual voltage that can be used to charge Samsung s6, iPod, iPad, kindle, laptop camera and last but not least my DH flip phone. Do you still have to use the long chords?

Thanks for any info.

Look at each of the devices you've listed. Either printed on the device itself or on a tag placed around the cord for the device you'll typically see information about the range of wattage each device can handle. Most modern devices are already constructed for multiple wattages ranging from 100 to 240. At this time, transformers tend to be a thing of the past. Socket adapters still will be needed.

You people must take a lot of gadgets with you :eek:

I plug in the camera to charge when we go to dinner it is done when we return

Then plug the computer in another night

The phone we leave at home

Edited by LHT28

What I am thinking of is a universal charger that can charge several devices at the same time. And will I need the long chords with devices or are there other options. Thanks again for info.

What people are trying to tell you is that you don't need a universal charger. Please look at your devices. Determine whether or not each device is compatible with a wide range of wattages.

Assuming they are compatible, ask yourself if the number of devices you'll be bringing will exceed the number of plugs in your stateroom or hotel room if you'll be staying pre- or post-cruise. I believe that number is two at the desk with additional European two-prong sockets. If you think you'll be able to stagger your equipment so that two US plugs will do, you'll be fine. If you're bringing more than two or three items you have a couple of choices.

Option one: bring a small power strip. Plug that into the US plug on the wall. Then, plug each of your devices into the power strip.

Option two: Bring converters to change the European style sockets into US power sockets. Plug each device into its own plug.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

What I am thinking of is a universal charger that can charge several devices at the same time. And will I need the long chords with devices or are there other options. Thanks again for info.

Do you mean something like this?

http://www.moddiy.com/products/10-in-1-Universal-USB-Charging-Extension-Cable-for-Cell-Phone-Tablet-PC-MP3-Camera.html?gclid=CJ_V9Mez2soCFdcZgQodJCYBGw

All you need is to take the above charging cables and one of these:

https://www.firefold.com/usb-wall-charger-white?gclid=CKPW0Ia02soCFdgBgQodxoMHgA

Edited by Iamthesea

Look at each of the devices you've listed. Either printed on the device itself or on a tag placed around the cord for the device you'll typically see information about the range of wattage each device can handle. Most modern devices are already constructed for multiple wattages ranging from 100 to 240. At this time, transformers tend to be a thing of the past. Socket adapters still will be needed.

You will confuse people if you keep talking about "wattages" as nothing you have electronic is 100 let alone 240 watts.

You mean voltage and people need to look at their chargers and make sure they are 120/240 V for volts!!

You will confuse people if you keep talking about "wattages" as nothing you have electronic is 100 let alone 240 watts.

You mean voltage and people need to look at their chargers and make sure they are 120/240 V for volts!!

Apologies for using the word wattages rather than volts. I stand corrected.

We bring a 220 power strip that we plug into a European socket. We have 110 adapter plugs in it so we can plug in our iPhones, iPads, camera batteries, scooter battery and MacBook. By having a 220 power strip, it leaves the 110 sockets free for anything else we might need like a hair dryer or shaver. Too many electronic devices. :D

Hi Karen,

Hope that you and Bob & his flip-top phone are well and happy.

We've e-mailed you something that we found on-line. Hope that it may help.

Wyn and Roy

Insignia Sept 2014

Thank you. I emailed you back.

Good to hear from you both.

Great thanks. Now have to search for one that works with android, kindle etc.

"Plugs" seem to be going the way of the horse and buggy. We are now using USB ports more than the plug-ins. However, Amazon.com has many choices.

This is an interesting one: http://www.amazon.com/Multiple-Charger-Charging-Protected-Smartphone/dp/B00W4WWCFI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454525907&sr=8-1&keywords=multiple+outlet+charger#Ask

This is what I use for my Kindle(s) and Android phone (will do many other things as well and it does them quickly). http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JJ2C0S0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

Also, I don't worry how many plugs there are in my cabin because I use one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Multiple-Outlet-Strip-4-OUTLET-POWER/dp/B000HJ982K/ref=sr_1_14?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1454526290&sr=1-14&keywords=multiple+outlet+power+strip

I think the OP was trying to get around having to take all of her device cords with her when she travels, so the USB portable boxes would not work for her.

To Iamthesea. Thank you, the multi charger is what I was thinking of.

Great thanks. Now have to search for one that works with android, kindle etc.

Although I found the above links on Amazon, I wanted to make it clear that I do not use that multi device. I still carry along all my cords for my Iphone/Ipad and Kindle,etc. I use my Iphone as a camera, so that eliminated one cord. ;)

I don't worry about the amount of outlets in a stateroom. Being from the US, I can use the two outlets provided (4 on Oceania). Also, I take along a 2 pin euro adaptor to use with the Euro outlets. I can plug other electronics in the two provided onboard, if needed. I carry a white noise machine that I purposely purchased with a Euro plug. :)

Edited by Iamthesea

You don't need a lot of cords with the USB unit that I purchased because it charges so fast. It came with one USB cord (fairly short) and I do bring one more but the whole thing fits in the palm of your hand.

Another way to go is with the "External Battery Bank" http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VSE7FS2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00 . This is also a rather fast way to charge your devices. Again, I use it for my Kindle, camera and Android phone. I charge two items and then recharge the "bank". I love this thing because it is easy to carry and it assures me that I won't run out of battery while in port.

"Plugs" seem to be going the way of the horse and buggy. We are now using USB ports more than the plug-ins. However, Amazon.com has many choices.

This is an interesting one: http://www.amazon.com/Multiple-Charger-Charging-Protected-Smartphone/dp/B00W4WWCFI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454525907&sr=8-1&keywords=multiple+outlet+charger#Ask

This is what I use for my Kindle(s) and Android phone (will do many other things as well and it does them quickly). http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JJ2C0S0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

Also, I don't worry how many plugs there are in my cabin because I use one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Multiple-Outlet-Strip-4-OUTLET-POWER/dp/B000HJ982K/ref=sr_1_14?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1454526290&sr=1-14&keywords=multiple+outlet+power+strip

Thank you for the information.

You don't need a lot of cords with the USB unit that I purchased because it charges so fast. It came with one USB cord (fairly short) and I do bring one more but the whole thing fits in the palm of your hand.

Another way to go is with the "External Battery Bank" http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VSE7FS2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00 . This is also a rather fast way to charge your devices. Again, I use it for my Kindle, camera and Android phone. I charge two items and then recharge the "bank". I love this thing because it is easy to carry and it assures me that I won't run out of battery while in port.

I was speaking of the different charging cords that go with the OP's devices. Most will have a USB end, but the other ends are different for each device. A new Iphone will use a lightening 8-pin charger, while an older Ipad will use a charger with more pins. A Kindle uses yet another sized charger. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Desktop-Charging-PowerSmart-Technology-Compatible/dp/B011LSGMT2/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1454585429&sr=1-2&keywords=ANEAR

I'm happy with this.. Nice to leave the plugs at home. A quirky power strip, a desk top cord management holder, and everything is our of sight to the left of the desk, leaving an uncluttered area..