Shore excursions HOW MUCH DO YOU TIP GUIDES?

serious sealeggs

I know this is a personal decision, but curious of all. How much do you tip your guides? On larger RCI hosted excursions seems like people tip less or not at all. What about private or non ship excursions. Sometimes when a guide asks where we are from (USA). He/she knows we're American and expects a larger tip. This confuses me and I wonder what other passengers think.

I know this is a personal decision, but curious of all. How much do you tip your guides? On larger RCI hosted excursions seems like people tip less or not at all. What about private or non ship excursions. Sometimes when a guide asks where we are from (USA). He/she knows we're American and expects a larger tip. This confuses me and I wonder what other passengers think.
No set amount for me. It varies from $0 if I am unhappy with the guide to $20.00 for a full day to for an excellent guide.

I was going to say the same - $5. If the excursion was EXCEPTIONAL and the guide went over and beyond what was expected, we bump it up to $10.

i agree. there is alway plenty of other cruisers tip them well/ The more informative info especially with Q&A and great scenery to look at a little more is good.

We usually tip $5-$10 for a couple. This is from RCI's shore excursion guides...

Gratuity

Tour pricing does not include gratuity unless specified. Extending a gratuity to your guide and/or driver is strictly optional; however in some countries, your guide may anticipate that if you are pleased with their services, you will reward them in a monetary fashion. Generally, an appropriate tip would be $4-$6 USD per person for a half day tour

and $10-$15 USD per person for a full day tour.

The amounts shown above seem right for a large group on a bus, for instance. How much do you feel is appropriate for a private all day tour in a sedan or minivan?

Margee

Depending on the level of service, I'd go with 10% - 20%.

If it's a good tour....1/2 day - $10, full day - $20. I will usually give the driver a few dollars also.

A little less on water sports if the crew blocks your path and stands with the tip jar in hand between you and the pier. ;)

Only happened once back in 2006

Edited by BillOh
typo

Just wanted to get this out of the way because I know it will come sooner or later.

"why should you tip, why can't they just get paid a good wage & leave our pocketbooks alone. Probably some Americans fault!!""

OKAY ROFLMAO.

I usually overtip, since I lived on them in college. So I would usually do $10, if they were really good $20.

Depends on your experience! If they give you a good time...I would think $10 for a couple is ample..remember how much you PAID for the experience already!

If they are simply driving you somewhere...no tip needed....they did what you paid them to do.

As others have posted, it depends on the level of service.

Twice, one time in France and one time in Greece, on long day long tours the bathrooms on the bus were locked. :eek:

I do believe that no one on those tours provided any type of tip. I know I did not.

Normally we tip both the tour guide and the driver.

Bob