Airport to Terminal questions

RetiredRich

We have traveled to every state but Hawaii. Hawaii would complete our bucket list. We have been on many cruises but always drove to the port. We would have to fly from Kentucky to San Francisco. So how do people get from the airport to the terminal ? Does the cruise line have a shuttle or do people take a cab ? Same questions on return from ship to airport. Some say it is best to fly in the day before the cruise. All info appreciated. We are just too old now to drive to San Francisco.

I'm not one who thinks it's always necessary to fly in the day before, but in your case I surely would. It's a long distance. A flight delay could totally ruin your cruise. I don't know what the stats are on SFO getting fogged in, but I do know I've seen a lot of fog in and around San Francisco. What I think I'd do is fly in the day before and stay near the airport. Get the cruiseline shuttle to the pier the next day. It's true that you could take a taxi, but it's also true that it's a long, expensive trip.

We have traveled to every state but Hawaii. Hawaii would complete our bucket list. We have been on many cruises but always drove to the port. We would have to fly from Kentucky to San Francisco. So how do people get from the airport to the terminal ? Does the cruise line have a shuttle or do people take a cab ? Same questions on return from ship to airport. Some say it is best to fly in the day before the cruise. All info appreciated. We are just too old now to drive to San Francisco.

Princess has a transfer. Might be good to have them take your bags at the airport and take the coach. ;)

I do agree though I would not fly in the same day. :)

It's always best to arrive a day prior to embarkation. That said, I don't always do it because we don't have the extra vacation time to, but I fly with a Plan B and a Plan C in case we have trouble with our flights and can't arrive at the embarkation port in time. If you have the time off work or are retired, definitely arrive a day or two in advance.

Princess does provide a shuttle if you're arriving at the airport the day of the cruise. Or, if you arrive earlier, you can just meet up at the airport and take their shuttle. If you stay in the City, then it's best to take a cab or arrange a taxi van for a group of you through your Roll Call.

DO NOT GET A PRINCESS TRANSFER!!!! Book Super Shuttle. They are less expensive and more dependable. If you book a Princess Transfer from the airport and back to the airport, you're going to be herded here and there on a bus. You're going to be waiting for other people to fill the bus. When debarking, you'll be herded into a lounge to wait and wait and wait. Then herded onto a bus outside the terminal. Princess will have control of you. When you debark from the ship, your Super Shuttle will be waiting for you in front of the terminal. You are loaded onto the van with others going to the airport. No waiting, no frustrations, easy and fast to the airport.

There's hotels you can stay at down by Fisherman's Wharf. Some cruisers stay at the Best Western down by Fisherman's Wharf. You can take a taxi to the cruise terminal. Super Shuttle will drop you off at the hotel.

Edited by elliair

Agree with all the others that posted. Avoid the Princess transfers and arrive a day or two early. S.F. is a great city. Book a hotel in the Fisherman's Wharf area. Take a cab or one of the group shuttles from the airport to the hotel. Take a Cab from the hotel to the pier. At the end of the cruise take a cab or one of the group shuttles from the pier to the airport. We stayed overnight by the airport on disembarkation day. Since we live in the Eastern Time Zone, like you, flying home on the same day as disembarkation would get us home in the early morning hours. You may wish to consider a post cruise overnight stay and early morning flights.

FYI: We took some of these free walking tours in S.F. They are really well done. http://www.sfcityguides.org/

Edited by sknight

There are times when flying in the day of the cruise will work. We always fly in at least the day before. A cruise to Hawaii has 4 sea days after leaving San Fran. If your flight is late and you miss the ship you would have to fly to Hawaii to finish the cruise and miss 4 days. I would not take that chance.

Have you looked at flights at all. Especially return flights. We did Hawaii out of San Francisco and went two days early. By the time we arrived, we just had enough time to check in, grab something to eat and then get some shut eye. The next day was our full day and we did a wonderful tour of San Francisco, met some friends for dinner and walked around Fishermen's Wharf. Then back to hotel for a night cap and put out stuff together for the next morning which was SAIL DAY.:D We took a cab to the port, about $20.

Heading back home was harder. :( Princess recommends not booking a flight before 1pm and we didn't want to take a chance on fog holding us up for docking on return. So, we were stuck with a red eye. We won't do that again. :eek: Will stay over on the West Coast if we sail from there a second time. The old adage "you can't get there from here" was apropos in our case. We took the Princess Tour at the end of the cruise and arrived at the airport around 3pm. We did this just to kill some time as we had plenty.

From the SFO terminal to our hotel we used Super Shuttle. Our driver was wonderful and we lucked out with traffic as our arrival time was around 8pm. I would highly recommend them.:):)

If you fly into SFO - you can take the princess transfer (but I recommend super shuttle as it's easier and less stressful) but if you fly into Oakland - there is NO Princess transfer.

Flying in the day before you can stay in the City and see some sights before getting on the ship.

One thing I HIGHLY recommend once you are on the ship. Stay on deck for sailaway under the Golden Gate Bridge. It's a fabulous way to leave a port!

it would be ok to come in the day of, if you have booked your flights thru Princess. They will definitely help with any delays etc. that might take place (at no cost to you).

You can take a shuttle, or even uber (although I don't know what they charge). I do think a cab would be expensive.

Enjoy your trip to Hawaii

it would be ok to come in the day of, if you have booked your flights thru Princess. They will definitely help with any delays etc. that might take place (at no cost to you).

You can take a shuttle, or even uber (although I don't know what they charge). I do think a cab would be expensive.

Enjoy your trip to Hawaii

Just returned Wednesday on this trip. Used Uber for the first time....usually book a driver. Approx $30 from airport hotel to pier and same from pier to airport. Best deal going